Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Push El Burrito posted:

Yeah I love the Assassin's Creed multiplayer until everyone figured out the most effective way to win was just to run around full sprint attacking things.
I played a lot of Assassin's Creed MP and that was never really the case. Yeah, a lot of people did do that, especially at low levels, but they definitely weren't the ones winning games if there were any decent players in the match. They were very easy to counter, and even if they did kill you their kills were worth almost no points. You could almost always tell who was going to do it too, because they always picked the jester skin.

I was really bummed that after four games of iterations and improvements, they just flat out abandoned the multiplayer component after Black Flag. I very rarely get into multiplayer modes, but I got up to max level in every single AC game that featured it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jokymi posted:

I played a lot of Assassin's Creed MP and that was never really the case. Yeah, a lot of people did do that, especially at low levels, but they definitely weren't the ones winning games if there were any decent players in the match. They were very easy to counter, and even if they did kill you their kills were worth almost no points. You could almost always tell who was going to do it too, because they always picked the jester skin.

I was really bummed that after four games of iterations and improvements, they just flat out abandoned the multiplayer component after Black Flag. I very rarely get into multiplayer modes, but I got up to max level in every single AC game that featured it.

Yeah, the issue was not so much that sprinting around was particularly effective, it was more that it indirectly forced the other players to play along. Say player A just starts sprinting around everywhere like a madman, then player B who has A as their target also kinda has to adopt a sprinting playstyle to have a chance at ever getting to kill A in a reasonable timeframe*. Player C who has B as their target will similarly be forced to abandon subtlety, and so on until worst case it affects the majority of the lobby. It was not really a winning strategy, but it could be a very annoying one in the wrong circumstances.

*Unless they had the pistol :getin:

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Yeah, I'll definitely give you that. There were tools to deal with runners like the pistol, but that usually meant sacrificing more useful tools you could use to suss out people who were playing the game correctly. If I remember right, you could just stab a random civilian to get your target reassigned if you had a runner as your target, but that's obviously not ideal either.

It's something that you saw less and less of as you ranked up, but I think it definitely did turn a lot of people off who were just casually jumping into the multiplayer to see what it was like.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Anyway, it seems to me that Assassins Creed multiplayer seems like a cool little experiment in the social stealth genre and is ripe for updating and refinement in the future.

It doesn't even need to be AAA quality, something fairly basic and stripped down is sufficient, so long as it runs on everyone's devices and lets social dynamics play out. Among Us is of a long and storied genre and its core systems are robust enough to break out into virality, even if its mechanics aren't as complicated as many of its peers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I've said it before, but Spy Party is pretty much exactly what I wanted from AC multi with all the cruft removed.

I'm definitely convinced that the "chain of killers killing killers killing killers" concept is fundamentally flawed as explained above.

I also remember there being some wonky balance problems in AC multi. Some maps made it way too easy to just deathmatch instead of bothering with stealth at all.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I played the crap out of both The Ship and the AC multiplayer types and I loved them both.

AC had the really good feature where you would start hearing whispers when the people hunting you were near. Super tense moments when I’m following my target in a massive crowd and the whispers start up and now I frantically have to find which of these 30 characters want me dead.

I also liked the scoring system because yeah, you could sprint around and get chase kills for like 150 points, or you can get one really good kill for like 2,500.

I also really liked how The Ship varied the reward you got for a kill based on how often that weapon was used. It was a really good way to force people away from the obvious weapons like guns, swords, and axes and to get them to move around the map. End game is funny when everyone is snooping around to find the mannequin arm or an umbrella because one kill with those can give you so many points.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

AC multiplayer also had a great selection of skills that allowed you to gently caress with your pursuer's head. Make an entire group of NPCs look exactly like you and watch the poor hunter struggle to decide which one to go for. Then force one of the NPCs to run off in a random direction, forcing your pursuer to make a split-second choice whether to go for the runner or one of the others. All the while you're not even in the same group of people, but instead watching from a little way's off. :allears:

Speaking of "unique multiplayer modes that deserve another go", there was a gem hidden in Kane & Lynch, of all games. The mode was called "Fragile Alliance", and in principle it's basically a series of cooperative heists focused around stealing as much money as you can while fending off NPC police. The twist is that after a heist is done, the haul is split evenly only among the players who got out alive, and the overall goal is to end up as the player with the most money after a series of heists. So on the one hand, you want the heist to go as well as possible to maximise the haul, but on the other hand it's really in your interest for as many of your teammates to bite it. Of course you can always just shoot em in the back yourself, but that marks you as a traitor to all other players and gives them a cash bonus for killing you. So instead you might just go for more subtle ways, like bribing the getaway car to take only you and leave the others high and dry for several minutes until another one comes along.

I didn't get to play it quite as much as I'd have liked, but it was a really neat dynamic. Just constantly having to keep an eye on your teammates as you're going through the round, trying to gauge which one is most likely to try and backstab you, and who'd make a good mark for backstabbing in turn.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Didn't that have you come back as a respawnable NPC Cop once you died too? So you could keep playing and get your petty revenge on players.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I really liked the multiplayer of Batman Origins, 3 v 3 Joker vs Bane gang with two people playing Batman and Robin, running around and stringing people up. Had so much potential for a standalone repolish

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
Very pleased to open this thread and see a lot of people talking about Dishonored 2, I've been playing through the series myself. On the subject of morality, I like that if you pick Corvo the developers have deliberately given you the perfect excuse to go all chaos:

You're old and grouchy, your joints hurt, and after all the poo poo you went through in the first one, Emily gets imprisoned in stone. Corvo would definitely go ballistic in that situation, its like the developers saying "make sure to go nuts and actually enjoy yourself this time, its canon".

For me the chief draw is the atmosphere. Playing a game like this reminds me that so many modern releases focus far more on clever mechanics than effective set and setting, wheras in D2 you get both in huge measure. Every single room is chock full of interesting themeing and carefully thought out staging, and every level is much bigger and more dynamic than 1. Theres an odd kind of morose yet beautiful atmosphere they've managed to achieve by paying huge amounts of attention to every little detail, and I love that. I felt like I was in that world the second I walked on the deck of the boat outside Karnaca.

RGX has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Sep 18, 2021

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
After I posted about Encased in the steam thread, I realized it would be good for this thread. If you aren't aware of it, it's a 1970s sci-fi isometric rpg about being under a giant mysterious Dome that suddenly appeared one day (and ended the Cold War because everyone decided "let's figure out how this thing works together"). It's very obviously a loving homage to Fallout and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It's fun and so far, doesn't seem to have a lot of the bullshit that most other recent isometric Fallout-like games have had - Underrail is full of non-optimal things that just make the later game more difficult than it needs to be; haven't played Atom RPG but I saw the screenshot of the Jewish caricature merchant so it has that kind of bullshit, Wasteland 2 had 3 times as many skills as it needed, but Wasteland 3 is actually pretty decent, I enjoyed that game and beat it before they patched out the Kodiak being able to kill anything in one hit.

Anyway, this is the good little things thread so here goes:
-(this is the thing I mentioned in the steam thread) Likely the first companion you get is a giant slab of English muscle who goes by "Crump." He likes fighting, drinking, and bumblebees (because they're pretty). Also, after you build up enough reputation with him, he knows you're ready for his passionate defense of the artist Mark Rothko, who he claims does things with colour (his spelling) that no other artist does, and people who think his work is bad and simple just because it's abstract are dumb. It's the most talking he's done in the entire game so far.
-Your home base is a gas station called Roadside Picnic.
-Tools (like lockpicks or trap-disarming kits) just give a bonus to your effective skill level for that action. If you have a high enough skill, you don't even need the tools.
-snagging this one from CommissarMega in the steam thread, but I found her last night myself:

A bit of explanation: the 5 Wings of the Cronus Corporation in charge of exploring the Dome are basically classes, but you can tag any 3 skills at character creation, not limited to things your wing specializes in. Black wing are security forces and cops. Blue wing are technicians and mechanics and make sure stuff keeps working. Orange wing are all criminals, brought under the Dome through a program that uses incarcerated prisoners for exploration and labor (they're essentially bodies to throw at problems that come up so they don't have to waste other valuable members of the corporation). White wing are doctors and scientists. Silver wing are managers and psions. My character is a Silver wing with Criminal and Influence as my two highest skills, so I'm mostly trying the non-combat solutions to quests (and opening all the locked things). This leads to my last little thing (for now):

-Almost every time there's a dialogue option based on a stat, skill, or being a member of a specific Wing, there's at least one (usually two or more) other stat/skill/wing-based option. To make up an example, if I have to get info from a guy, I could do the thing he wants me to do to get it (normal solution) or I could convince him that time is of the essence and I really need that info (Influence skill). Most games would call that good enough. Encased also lets you notice that his hands are shaking and ask why he's so nervous (Perception stat), or tell him that it's against the terms of his contract to withhold information from management (Silver Wing). Like I said, almost every time there's an option like that, there are multiple options like that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RGX posted:

For me the chief draw is the atmosphere. Playing a game like this reminds me that so many modern releases focus far more on clever mechanics than effective set and setting, wheras in D2 you get both in huge measure. Every single room is chock full of interesting themeing and carefully thought out staging, and every level is much bigger and more dynamic than 1. Theres an odd kind of morose yet beautiful atmosphere they've managed to achieve by paying huge amounts of attention to every little detail, and I love that. I felt like I was in that world the second I walked on the deck of the boat outside Karnaca.

I feel like the problem I end up having is that as a stealth game, it's incredibly hard to meaningfully engage with the environmental design because my attention is often laser focused on not getting caught. Can't just sit around admiring the art if guards are patrolling everywhere. Heck, optimal stealth play puts an emphasis on just loving off and using the absolute bare minimum of the space. Obv. this is different if you just go on a killing spree instead, but yeah.

There's probably some notable kernel in there about the dichotomy of being immersed in a real space, something imsims do with aplomb, contrasting with the very videogamey "now sneak past these guards with limited vision cones and watch your alert meter" parts. Edit: I guess another way of putting it is that I wish interacting with the simulation, for however deep it actually is, depended more on unique, complex actions and less on "do you shoot the bad man with the naughty gun or the less naughty gun".

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 18:19 on Sep 18, 2021

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I do like that if you pick Emily in Dishonored 2, the Outsider does his usual mysterious god being schtick but if you pick Corvo he's like "lmao my dude can you believe this poo poo is happening to you again? What are the odds? Anyway, here's some magic, you know the deal. Have fun, buddy"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Man, Titanfall 2 has some of the most fun guns since Turok, it's like if Bulletstorm took itself seriously. Rest of the game is fun, too; I'm partway through the Time Travel level and it's terrific. I was just thinking how it's too bad you never really get to play with that kind of mechanic, it's usually just for solving a static puzzle or some kind of set piece. Bamfing into the past and reappearing right behind someone while they panic is pretty great.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Retro Futurist posted:

Man, Titanfall 2 has some of the most fun guns since Turok, it's like if Bulletstorm took itself seriously.

wait what. i dont really know much about this game other than it has robots but this sounds amazing a d now i want to play

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
titanfall 2 is really good and one of the best modern fps campaigns to come out in a while, if you haven't heard about it before you should give it a shot

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

beats for junkies posted:

After I posted about Encased in the steam thread, I realized it would be good for this thread.

I grabbed it after this post and I've just arrived at the place after your first visit to the gas station and I'm already in love, yeah. Psyglove owns using ammo is for nerds. :hellyeah: I was also intensely surprised in a very happy way that I was able to save the catholic truck driver lady with my skill that stops blood loss, after the dialogue where I helped her recite the prayer I figured I'd have a corpse and nothing else.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Tbh I'm just confused because I don't remember the guns in TF2 being all that special. But I also don't remember the guns in Bulletstorm being all that special either? Look I'm just really confused.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Finally playing through Dishonoured 2 and some of these levels are great, especially A Crack In The Slab, with the time travel warp lens changing things in the past to effect the future, that you can also use as a combat tool. I like the option to play as Corvo or Emily, and despite what people say about good or bad endings, I've never really felt compelled to play in a particular way; it still feels like a victory if eight people are chasing after me and I grenade them all at once, and I like to set those moments up intentionally.

I also invested in making my own bone charms which has been really useful. I'd argue that hunting for runes and bone charms is really the fun part of the game, and the story is almost secondary. The little visual narratives that exist around people's homes is what keeps me really interested.

TheMostFrench has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Sep 19, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sims 4

Even father christmas hates christmas music

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

TheMostFrench posted:

I also invested in making my own bone charms which has been really useful. I'd argue that hunting for runes and bone charms is really the fun part of the game, and the story is almost secondary. The little visual narratives that exist around people's homes is what keeps me really interested.

It’s amazing how quick you move with quadruple versions of the bonecharms that make you slightly faster when crouched, your sword is sheathed and while carrying a body at the same time. I image it would be hilarious to see if it was in third person.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Running around through the on-foot traversal sections in Titanfall 2 just feels so good, I want another game of that. It's honestly a little disappointing when you get onboard a Titan, as much fun as those are too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

More Titanfall 2, I've gotten to the segment where you can just shift between two different times at will to solve puzzles and confuse enemies, and it's probably my favorite segment I've played in a first person shooter. It's just bonkers that there aren't more games doing a mechanic like that, it could easily support a whole game on its own.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Titanfall 2 is probably the best single player corridor-style shooter campaign I've played since what, like HL2? What's been better since?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

gohuskies posted:

Titanfall 2 is probably the best single player corridor-style shooter campaign I've played since what, like HL2? What's been better since?

Yeah, I got major HL2 vibes when I first played it from being linear but super finely tuned design, and it still feels like it. I've been trying to think of a good comparison this time but failing, it's just crazy good at being solidly designed with occasional incredible concepts being randomly thrown in.
e: And like I said earlier, tons of that great stuff is basically outside the core Titan concept of the game :v:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Death Loop, there's an NPC practicing an electric guitar with speakers connected to it all over Karl's Bay throughout the day. In the morning he sounds like poo poo but by the evening he's gotten real good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

gohuskies posted:

basically any first person corridor style shooter?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

gohuskies posted:

When they ported it to Steam they put it on sale for $5 and I bought it on a whim expecting nothing better than a generic Call of Duty clone with wall running and mechs. Thought it was a game people only bought for multiplayer and the campaign would be completely tacked-on but it ended up being one of the best I've played in any FPS made in the last decade.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

basically any first person corridor style shooter?

Did Titanfall 2 run over your pet or something?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Did Titanfall 2 run over your pet or something?

I think they are saying that it's Half Life 2 rather than Titanfall 2 that isn't all that good, and honestly I'd agree.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I apologize if so, HL2 was great in the day but had aged poorly in many ways.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

To be clear, Titanfall 2 did actually run over my dog and I still think it’s the tits.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The reason Titanfall 2 is so good is because it's short. You could probably blast through it in about 6-8 hours at a comfortable pace, every level introduces a new fun mechanic that the level centres around but that doesn't outstay its welcome by the next level, and there's no filler. The aforementioned time travel mechanic is super fun and awesome precisely because you stop using it before you get bored with it so you're left wanting more. I think that a while game like that would frankly get tedious once the different varieties of set pieces and situations you can use it in starts repeating.

There needs to be more games that aren't afraid to be medium length, discrete packages of fun that don't take 100 hours to complete campaign mode, because there's a trend recently of games feeling the need to be a huge epic thing that will take up all of your time, and the added padding, fluff and busywork makes the pursuit of a fun experience on the dev's side of things a secondary concern.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Hel posted:

I think they are saying that it's Half Life 2 rather than Titanfall 2 that isn't all that good, and honestly I'd agree.

I guess I'd agree that HL2 hasn't aged well but if it helps, then I think Titanfall 2 is probably the best single player corridor-style shooter campaign I've played since what, like late 2004? What's been better since?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Breetai posted:

The reason Titanfall 2 is so good is because it's short. You could probably blast through it in about 6-8 hours at a comfortable pace, every level introduces a new fun mechanic that the level centres around but that doesn't outstay its welcome by the next level, and there's no filler. The aforementioned time travel mechanic is super fun and awesome precisely because you stop using it before you get bored with it so you're left wanting more. I think that a while game like that would frankly get tedious once the different varieties of set pieces and situations you can use it in starts repeating.

There needs to be more games that aren't afraid to be medium length, discrete packages of fun that don't take 100 hours to complete campaign mode, because there's a trend recently of games feeling the need to be a huge epic thing that will take up all of your time, and the added padding, fluff and busywork makes the pursuit of a fun experience on the dev's side of things a secondary concern.

They're not afraid to do that, it is that games that have short lengths sell less unless they are budget priced. (And you're not going to get something like Titanfall on a $30 budget.) Devs aren't doing it because they are stupid, they're doing it because they (or more likely the people funding the game) want it to sell well enough to justify the development team time.

gohuskies posted:

I guess I'd agree that HL2 hasn't aged well but if it helps, then I think Titanfall 2 is probably the best single player corridor-style shooter campaign I've played since what, like late 2004? What's been better since?

Depends on what you mean by corridor-style because I'd say Doom/Doom Eternal.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hel posted:

It's this. HL2 was neat when I played it back then but outside of gravity gun shenanigans it's not real fun to play now

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah unfortunately I just finished Titanfall 2 and it took me about 3 days. Is it worth going back and playing the first one?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

Yeah unfortunately I just finished Titanfall 2 and it took me about 3 days. Is it worth going back and playing the first one?

The campaign mode in Titanfall 1 is just bot matches while characters shout lore over the gunfire. There's no reason to play TF 1.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

gohuskies posted:

Not to get too deep into it as it's the positive thread ,but as they said : pretty much anything. Because HL2 isn't actually that good, the bar to surpass it, is low. HL2 is more of an engine showcase than a good game, switching from gimmick to gimmick to sell the source engine. The constant physics puzzles, the vehicles, the squad tactics etc.

The narrative is pretty garbage as well because it's centered around Gordon Freeman, a gun taped to a camera and yet everyone worships him. People at the time kept bringing up Alyx as this cool female character, but in HL2 so much of her character is just worshipping the player and stroking your ego.
And they pretend that having no cutscenes is a good thing but instead they lock you in a room and have everyone talk at or around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
halflife 2 is still fun and I go back to replay it every few years (especially to use the crossbow, which is still one of my favorite weapons)

I think it has the problem a lot of older trendsetting games do where it did a lot of new and interesting stuff at the time, but with distance all you can really see are the parts that later games have done better