Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Horizon Burning posted:

fox blocked this outside the US, i think lmao

works in Canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Goddammit no no loving Malthusian chat it's page four of the thread omg please

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO MALTHUS

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Horizon Burning posted:

fox blocked this outside the US, i think lmao

Works in Canada.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

JohnnySavs posted:

Given that weather is not climate and humans are natural pattern sellers etc. But does this year's artic ice pattern seem kind of suspicions? Suddenly levels out to a highest-in-a-decade linear trajectory after being on track for the lowest in recorded history.

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Mostly already beaten but I should add that half the atmosphere has been filled with intense smoke this year so that has certainly "helped" as an overall cooling mechanism

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Xaris posted:

Mostly already beaten but I should add that half the atmosphere has been filled with intense smoke this year so that has certainly "helped" as an overall cooling mechanism

The rubber band will be felt next year as all that black carbon settles onto the ice and accellerates the melting.

Also, tangential to the topic but glaciers on the BC coast this year were almost universally bare, without their permanent snowpack cover which normally protects them, due to the heatwave. We don't track glacial recession as obsessively as we do Arctic cap melt, but we probably should.

I suspect we will see greatly increased rates of Arctic melt in 2022, barring a substantially worse boreal wildfire season than this years.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I truly wonder what 2051 will look like.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yep.

though I would say a substantial wildfire season should also be expected in 2022 so... lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

we should officially reach a 420 average end of the year :toot: :420:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hubbert posted:

I truly wonder what 2051 will look like.

Jetson flying cars for me, factory slavery for thee

That's pretty optimistic LOL

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-anabfAg06U&t=4s

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I wish I had some specific examples to show what I'm talking about, but has anyone noticed lib media starting to grab onto the idea that controlling methane emissions might be a loophole out of this? I've overheard a few bits and pieces of stories lately where the general gist is that methane is bad and impacts the climate more quickly, so all we have to do is limit methane output and that could free up enough of our carbon budget to dump decades more of CO2 into the air before we have to do anything!

I'm kinda wondering if this is why world leaders suddenly have a fixation on CH4.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

they’re auctioning off the immortan’s war rigs soon

don’t miss your chance to die historic on the fury road

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
finally watched some of the dome video and it seems super well thought out and will be watched by zero people who don't already agree so hi5 anonymous goon

the only quibble I have is the framing of things in the language of crime because it implies humanity has agency

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

I started reading New York 2140 by KSR and I realized that he actually seems to legitimately think the markets can be a positive force and its very disconcerting. I'm only about 20% in tho so ill let yall know if that changes but it feels like its going that direction again.

KSR oddly is very much of the belief that with the right incentives and political pressure capital can be tamed. I consider it naive optimism of someone who writes of many fanciful things.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
KSR is rich, so.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

tuyop posted:

KSR is rich, so.

terminal lib brain, very sad

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

ok i gotta get back to work so :effort: i'm done i guess

Yesss

YEESSSS

Ssthalar has issued a correction as of 06:52 on Sep 17, 2021

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Ssthalar posted:

Yesss

YEESSSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Sgq7bnmHI

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Paradoxish posted:

I wish I had some specific examples to show what I'm talking about, but has anyone noticed lib media starting to grab onto the idea that controlling methane emissions might be a loophole out of this? I've overheard a few bits and pieces of stories lately where the general gist is that methane is bad and impacts the climate more quickly, so all we have to do is limit methane output and that could free up enough of our carbon budget to dump decades more of CO2 into the air before we have to do anything!

I'm kinda wondering if this is why world leaders suddenly have a fixation on CH4.

Maybe it's diversion, concensus manufacturing as media gets their marching orders while capital flails about trying to stay latched onto the petroleum teat? No conspiracy is too far-fetched for the leaders of industry when it comes to oil, tobacco, or polyunsaturated dietary fat. The acid test would be If the Heartland Institute is pushing it, then for sure it's capital trying to sacrifice almost worthless natural gas in favour of petroleum.

Or maybe the media is really, really dumb, the last science reporter capable of analyzing a scientific paper was fired 15 years ago, and someone just stumbled on the clathrate gun idea.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwJFMjOz_l0&t=91s

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Welp just finished nature abhors a dime or whatever. That was my hardest, least fun crack ping yet.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mediaphage posted:

lol my so gets so mad when i just throw plastic poo poo in the garbage

thank you for reducing the plastic waste shipped elsewhere on barges burning the worst fuels. “elsewhere” being countries like Turkey and Malaysia, which have nothing left to sell but the promise that they will take care of the recycling (by burning it in places where poor people live)

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

mediaphage posted:

lol my so gets so mad when i just throw plastic poo poo in the garbage

mine too and the crazy part is (and i've posted this before i think) our city has a waste to energy facility. they literally incinerate what we throw in our bin and turn it into heat (our city also has municipal heating) and electricity.

i'm like, why the hell would you put the plastic in the plastic recycling bin? we have no loving idea where it ends up. at least if you put it in the trash you can be sure its being burned and wont be shedding microplastics or choking out a dolphin.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Cold on a Cob posted:

ok i gotta get back to work so :effort: i'm done i guess

if only images could be thread titles

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

tunes to entertain Malthusian realities to o/~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEAuoJRVgE8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi0q0O4V5Qs

aspirationally…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsPrINajncU

and finally tangentially

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4WYnSSw34w

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i take solace in the fact that non bacterial life will still go on earth

and because i dont have kids/grandkids that will go through this

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

silicone thrills posted:

I started reading New York 2140 by KSR and I realized that he actually seems to legitimately think the markets can be a positive force and its very disconcerting. I'm only about 20% in tho so ill let yall know if that changes but it feels like its going that direction again.

It gets worse lol

Stick to Aurora/ Mars trilogy

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Hubbert posted:

hey guys

if you're going to call someone a Malthusian, you might as well know what you're talking about

let's take a peek at Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change together

:getin:

thx for posting this! some of this stuff — that deals with selective pressure and differential survival — reminds me of where n*ck l*nd is going with his hyperracism, with the difference being that land sees it as being a noble telos toward which we must accelerate, as opposed to an unspeakable tragedy that we must do everything possible to avoid

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Petey posted:

thx for posting this! some of this stuff — that deals with selective pressure and differential survival — reminds me of where n*ck l*nd is going with his hyperracism, with the difference being that land sees it as being a noble telos toward which we must accelerate, as opposed to an unspeakable tragedy that we must do everything possible to avoid

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

IAMKOREA posted:

mine too and the crazy part is (and i've posted this before i think) our city has a waste to energy facility. they literally incinerate what we throw in our bin and turn it into heat (our city also has municipal heating) and electricity.

i'm like, why the hell would you put the plastic in the plastic recycling bin? we have no loving idea where it ends up. at least if you put it in the trash you can be sure its being burned and wont be shedding microplastics or choking out a dolphin.

Microplastics making you sound like some ripper-esque paranoid shithead whenever you tell anyone about it because of how concerning it is for all life ftw

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Tim Pawlenty posted:

Microplastics making you sound like some ripper-esque paranoid shithead whenever you tell anyone about it because of how concerning it is for all life ftw

"You don't even notice them cause they're invisible to the naked eye! They are everywhere! Everywhere! They're in everything! You're breathing them in right now, probably. You're drinking them whenever you sip that water you have in your hand there! They're everywhere and they're invisible and they're making you fat and sterile and your kids autistic!!"
"It's been a long day for you huh, sport? Come on let's get you to bed. That's right, come with me. That's right. It's okay."

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

wolfs posted:

tunes to entertain Malthusian realities to o/~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgTmosuidH8

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hubbert posted:

hey guys

if you're going to call someone a Malthusian, you might as well know what you're talking about

let's take a peek at Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change together

:getin:

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
stolen from pyf tweet

Truck Driver Charged in 4,000-Gallon Gas Spill in Delaware County

quote:

A truck driver on his route to refill pump stations June 12 allegedly decided to dump 4,000 gallons of gasoline down an embankment behind a Delaware County station to save himself some time, according to charges announced Tuesday.

The decision the driver, George Smith, allegedly made killed wildlife, contaminated a nearby creek tributary and flood basin, and forced the evacuation of an elementary school last month in Brookhaven, authorities say.
Because another tanker truck had stopped at the Gas N Go earlier in the day, according to the investigation, Smith only filled up the station's tanks with 4,500 gallons. That then would have forced Smith to go to the next stop on his route and only partially fill up the next station's tanks.

He would have then had to return to his fuel depot to fill up his tanker before returning to the second stop, prolonging his day's route, investigators said.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Doom Doom DOom Doome Dooome Dome Dome DOme DOME

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

tfw

quote:

Most likely, six or seven people out of every eight will die over the next two decades as energy and resource decline deepens.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lol oh my god

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Perry Mason Jar posted:

"You don't even notice them cause they're invisible to the naked eye! They are everywhere! Everywhere! They're in everything! You're breathing them in right now, probably. You're drinking them whenever you sip that water you have in your hand there! They're everywhere and they're invisible and they're making you fat and sterile and your kids autistic!!"
"It's been a long day for you huh, sport? Come on let's get you to bed. That's right, come with me. That's right. It's okay."

wow this guy thinks he has Morgellons or something, what a weirdo.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Rime posted:

Welcome to the end of the world.

We have two schools of thought in here:

Communist Thoughts posted:

start bombing factories

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Reading the Climate Change thread over the past couple years, coming to the correct conclusion.

:farf:

tiberion02 has issued a correction as of 17:05 on Sep 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1438903122944987142?s=19