Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Kill All Cops posted:

I feel the movie did this well enough that the dinner scene isn't really needed, also I didn't read the books or watch the lynch movie before I saw Denny's version

Good, I'm one of those people who think the dinner scene is just too much for a movie and it's good to know Denis got the point of the dinner scene across without actually having it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kill All Cops posted:

Denny's version

Vlenny's.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Say, Gurney and Chani, have you seen them yet?
Ooh, but they're so spiced out, B-B-B-Bene Gesserits
Oh but they're weird and they're wonderful
Oh Bene she's really keen
She's got prana bindu, a sensing truth
You know I read it in a magazine, ohh-oh
B-B-B-Bene Gesserits

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Bloop posted:

This will virtually guarantee a sequel if true

Because lol at any meaningful fraction of people reading Dune

I saw it with my husband who didn't know anything about Dune beyond "it has a worm", and isn't really even into sci-fi, and he said he really liked it and now wants to read the book.

I take this as a good sign for this movie's performance (hopefully)

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 17, 2021

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
The pacing was great as-is. A long-er dinner scene would have been jarringly different, imo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Popoto posted:

We all know that “Dune: The Musical” is coming

Walk Without Rhythm needs to be the most catchy and ironic tune filling the stage with dancing Fremen, I have foreseen it

Alt: reuse the Transformers: The Movie soundtrack

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Walk Without Rhythm needs to be the most catchy and ironic tune filling the stage with dancing Fremen, I have foreseen it

Alt: reuse the Transformers: The Movie soundtrack

Why not

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

skasion posted:

Films absolutely can contain long dinner scenes full of banter. There are films that are mostly dinner banter scenes even.

Where it gets difficult is doing that in a fictional universe or a setting where lots of the background knowledge of the characters isn’t shared by the intended audience. This still isn’t impossible though. What makes it impossible in this case is that the movie is being made for the approval of blockbuster producers who want a movie that tens of millions of stupid people will go to watch. Dinner scene goes the way of Bombadil for the same reason, it doesn’t “move the plot” and threatens to confuse people and therefore it’s gotta go so we can sell some seats.

a poster above you has very astutely observed that the point of the dinner scene is to relate the thoughts and experiences of several characters through straight-up omniscient narration that puts their internal monologue on the page. is there a way to film it? probably so, with glances and cuts and framing, and it might even be an interesting exercise for a creative director/editor. but would it serve the overall narrative and pacing of a film adaptation of Dune? probably not.

it's not a question of it being impossible either technically or within the context of the film industry and executive/upline money interests. i think (as others in this thread seem to, including the poster i just mentioned) that it is a matter of making choices that serve the medium. i understand the temptation to view that choice through the lens of cynicism, but my hunch is that cutting the dinner scene -- much like cutting Tom Bombadil from FotR -- was a sound, medium-appropriate editorial choice. if you think Fellowship whiffed on the source material for ditching Bombadil, or that a Dune adaptation can't work without the dinner scene, then i think you're missing the forest for the trees.

it's probably safe to assume that you love Dune, and want a good and definitive film version. i do too; especially whereas the last two attempts at filming it came across as kind of flat and goofy to me, in no small part because they seemed to try too hard to transliterate the novel 1:1 to the screen rather than truly adapting it for a visual storytelling medium. so, while i understand the motivation behind your cynicism here, i think it's peculiarly myopic and a little bit elitist to take the position that "audiences are dumb and profit motive exists, and that's why this movie doesn't capture every page of the book" rather than "this is a different medium, but let's see how well this adaptation captures the message."

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Fake James posted:

Say, Gurney and Chani, have you seen them yet?
Ooh, but they're so spiced out, B-B-B-Bene Gesserits
Oh but they're weird and they're wonderful
Oh Bene she's really keen
She's got prana bindu, a sensing truth
You know I read it in a magazine, ohh-oh
B-B-B-Bene Gesserits

legit pissed off that i didn't think of this

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Zimmer knocked it out of the park this time. He was very obviously inspired by Eno's score, and you can even catch a glimpse of Dune 2's MIDIs here and there. I was very happy that they went with a strong tribal leitmotif.

Also, the Sardaukar throatsinger was amazing.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Movie is good and beautiful, however was hoping to see some glimpse of emperors court and maybe some freaky poo poo like the navigators. So far the creepiest were the sardaukar and the baron to some extent.

So far my main concern is that Villy will care so much that its beautiful at all times, so he'll shy away from the freaky and weird.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Well he'll never get anywhere near the Tleilaxu body horror show of 5-6, so that's saved for a future director. Surely.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

THE BAR posted:

Well he'll never get anywhere near the Tleilaxu body horror show of 5-6, so that's saved for a future director. Surely.

i mean there's always a chance he'll have a cronenberg phase down the pike

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

No, Im fine with how it looks, just hoped for more exposition of horrors of Giedi Prime and navigator weirdos as a contrast.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Gotta leave something for the next movie

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Mister Speaker posted:

beer is the mind chiller

No, that's Doon.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

This is what I will call him now.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Zopotantor posted:

Thread seems to be leaking.

Why is Hillary "pant suit" Clinton running a squash cutting machine?

exmachina posted:

Yeah I feel like this too but it is so important to the early part of the story that a director should at least try to shoot it.

They should have just shown them all having dinner and giving each other knowing glances and odd facial gestures with no context. Only sound being the secret humming language and clicking of atreides finger battle codes.

The only way that scene would work on screen is as a parody of the book.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 17, 2021

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Dinner scene as opening for movie 2, as a spice induced flashback. Good way to bring some of the cast back into it.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Previously, on Dune

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

He's said he wants to do Part Two and then Dune: Messiah so if by some miracle the studio execs agree to that, we'll get both Edric and Scytale. Plenty of room to weird poo poo up around the Guild and the Tleilaxu there.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Guest starring Danny DeVito as Scytale, just straight up doing Frank Reynolds the whole movie.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Danny Devito as Bijaz the dwarf would be inspired.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

The dinner scene but Eddie Murphy plays everyone at the table

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Look at this spice, isn't it neat
wouldn't you think my collections complete
wouldn't you think I'm the Baron, who has everything?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Bubblyblubber posted:

Guest starring Danny DeVito as Scytale, just straight up doing Frank Reynolds the whole movie.

So then I started blastin’

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Bubblyblubber posted:

"I'm having flashbacks to Salusa Secundus"

"You went to Salusa Secundus on a business trip!!"

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

Ventral EggSac posted:

"I'm having flashbacks to Salusa Secundus"

"You went to Salusa Secundus on a business trip!!"

“We find a Laza Tiger, we'd toss it in the soup!”

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bubblyblubber posted:

i always thought of him as more of the baron at times, tbh

(three minutes in pshop before my meeting starts, worth it)

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Zohn posted:

Danny Devito as Bijaz the dwarf would be inspired.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Celebrating our 18th anniversary with my husband today. Just as the acid's kicking in, he surprises me with the Zimmer Dunc soundtrack

Omg y'all I got goosebumps the likes of which even gaaaawd has never felt

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The movie getting pushed back 10 months barely registered but now that people in the thread have seen it I'm dying

Dunc is real, and strong, and it's going to be my best friend

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TIL that the sample in MF DOOM’s “Coffin Nails” comes from a cover of “Space Oddity” on a jazz funk Dune/Star Wars concept album

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_m_rfPb6gIu7AURIt1nYdqxaGWrbrxi2x8

Make of this knowledge what you will

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ingmar terdman posted:

I was a friend of Jamis Dunc

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

The movie getting pushed back 10 months barely registered but now that people in the thread have seen it I'm dying

:f5:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Sekenr posted:

Movie is good and beautiful, however was hoping to see some glimpse of emperors court and maybe some freaky poo poo like the navigators. So far the creepiest were the sardaukar and the baron to some extent.

So far my main concern is that Villy will care so much that its beautiful at all times, so he'll shy away from the freaky and weird.

Unless half of the trailer content has been cut out of the actual film, part 1 has a lot of freaky and weird in it already???

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
People who have seen it, tell me this one thing:

Does Gurney say the word "cattle" in the movie?

The shield practice video leaves it open to editing trickery.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
marvel bots are out in force lmao

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

marvel bots are out in force lmao

i see the crowd that needs expository dialogue to understand a story has arrived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Jesus In A Can posted:

People who have seen it, tell me this one thing:

Does Gurney say the word "cattle" in the movie?

The shield practice video leaves it open to editing trickery.

He does not. His spiel about moods had been severely cut down. No mention of love-making, either.

One thing that disappointed me greatly in the movie, was that a certain group were practically reduced to cameos.

Neither Thufir nor Piter (who isn't even mentioned by name!) get to do anything related to the plot. Thufir stands around looking jolly for two scenes, and Piter is sent on an errand once. They may as well not have been there.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 18, 2021