Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The place I'm renting now has a gas oven and I hate it, always seem to spend hours trying to roast stuff or just overcooking/burning it.

Gas mark, more like guess mark.

43 AD - The Romans establish the city of Londinium on the river Thames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I had an all electric oven and hob with no fan and it was the most horrendous lump of metal on earth

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Gas hob/Fan oven combo was my preferred option, but was living in a place with an induction hob last year and gotta say, it was good. Had to buy new pans which was a bummer, but so much easier to wipe down a big sheet of glass when you finished cooking than the current horrible mess of burnt crumbs that my lazy rear end wont bother cleaning on the gas hob.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

keep punching joe posted:

Gas hob/Fan oven combo was my preferred option, but was living in a place with an induction hob last year and gotta say, it was good. Had to buy new pans which was a bummer, but so much easier to wipe down a big sheet of glass when you finished cooking than the current horrible mess of burnt crumbs that my lazy rear end wont bother cleaning on the gas hob.

I’ve got that combo. Cooking with gas is great but I read something recently which stuck: it’s kind of crazy that we are still cooking in our homes by burning fossil fuels. If we ever need to replace the cooker it’ll be with induction.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's not very healthy for your indoor air either, even if they managed to replace the entire gas supply with a biogas or green hydrogen or a mixture you're still making nitrogen oxides in your kitchen.

Boilers are more excusable because at least they're >90% efficient (with good heaters) and vent outside above head level.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've got my Smeg all-electric induction range and it's a thing of beauty (yeah yeah :thermidor: ) . gently caress a gas oven (carefully)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
You call that a stove? This is a stove

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/bartlebooth45/status/1438813491520065537?s=19

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Our flat has a gas hob and we hate it. It heats pans more quickly but the ignitor is unreliable and my brain makes me check about ten times a day that it's not been left on leaking gas into the flat. If it wasn't owned by the landlord we'd have replaced it ages ago.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/sep/17/prince-philip-duke-edinburgh-will-secret-90-years-queen-dignity

I know the judge here is trying to sound above board and makes it clear he hasn't read the Will and it is not a comment on the contents.

But it just makes it sound like Philip left all his stuff to his mistress in the Will and it's being sealed so it won't come out until after everyone is long dead.

Also a bit of saltiness from the papers about how they don't get to attend the court proceedings on this so that's why they are focusing so much on what they can report.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No the correct way now is "fancy an Imperial pint with a crown on the glass you woke snowflakes, are you triggered, ha ha genders, does anyone want a packet of Tayt... oh :("

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
hellooooo ay am breeteesh so ay am i wish for to purchase a hogshead of meadde and bushel of snuffe pray if ye please

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
we joked about this poo poo 5 odd years ago :/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You just know they're working on the lightbulbs next.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Waiting for them to crank up the power in the Henry hoovers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/HealthUntoDeath/status/1438739234291175430

e: but replace headmaster's wife with

the Henry hoover

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

You just know they're working on the lightbulbs next.

Is anyone even making high-wattage incandescents any more?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I can see the next civil war being triggered by the season cutoff for Bastani's compulsory Simpsons watching. Contrarian that I am I *will* be manning the barricades for the "Season 12 was better than Season 1" falangists.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can definitely still get 60W ones, they sell them at the local hardware store with a little 'for industrial use only sticker', I'm pretty sure that you can still get 100W industrial/rough service bulbs too.

Which is why it's such a fuss about nothing, they're mostly mad that you can't just walk into Tesco and B&Q and buy them, and neither of those will bring them back even if the law says they can because there's not much profit in it. And these are the same people who complain about Tesco and B&Q taking over from the village ironmonger that they never buy from.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can see the next civil war being triggered by the season cutoff for Bastani's compulsory Simpsons watching. Contrarian that I am I *will* be manning the barricades for the "Season 12 was better than Season 1" falangists.

I was gaslit into believing it didn't get good until season 3/4 for most of my life. Rewatching recently season 1 was actually legit great and a lot more clever than it was later on.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

You can definitely still get 60W ones, they sell them at the local hardware store with a little 'for industrial use only sticker', I'm pretty sure that you can still get 100W industrial/rough service bulbs too.

Which is why it's such a fuss about nothing, they're mostly mad that you can't just walk into Tesco and B&Q and buy them, and neither of those will bring them back even if the law says they can because there's not much profit in it. And these are the same people who complain about Tesco and B&Q taking over from the village ironmonger that they never buy from.

Yeah I was looking for some yesterday out of interest, for a production, because you can generally plug them into theatrical dimmers and they Just Work, while LED ones are more hit and miss. Much harder to find than 10 years ago certainly.

Easiest thing would be to keep selling these, but relabel them as "40W tungsten bulbs to own the EU/libs"

You could even put a little 36W heater in that gradually melts the electronics so you have to replace them every few months :v:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

That’s my current set up, although the bottom oven is basically my massive frying pan and wok storage unit now I got an air fryer or three

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

You could even put a little 36W heater in that gradually melts the electronics so you have to replace them every few months :v:
:laugh:

Yeah, they have a handful of uses; photography where everything is white balanced for tungsten, theatre stuff I guess like you say, houses with janky old dimmer switches until you can get those replaced, incubators, RF engineering where sometimes you just have to dump 100W of energy somewhere and that's the least destructive way to do it, keeping outhouses from freezing, or even actual rough service environments with big power spikes/sags and mechanical shocks, but none of that overcomes their obvious demerits for home lighting nor warrants the gammon obsession with them.

I'd suggest getting them all interested in gas lamps, but the fire brigade are overstretched enough.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I was concerned by early LED bulbs because the flicker rate was low enough it used to give me headaches being in a room lit by one, so the prospect of having them replace everything became one of the many inevitable, looming annoyances of adulthood.

The decent name brand ones haven't done that in years though, they're mostly alright. I still hate the LED spotlights downstairs and haven't replaced the ones that blew last year because RSI and years of gaming have left me with the grip strength of a newborn sparrow.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the good old metal dustbins and proper bloody lightbulbs bill 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I still hate the LED spotlights downstairs and haven't replaced the ones that blew last year because RSI and years of gaming have left me with the grip strength of a newborn sparrow.
Give me a Wilko suction hook and a lever long enough, and I will remove the LED spotlight.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

the good old metal dustbins and proper bloody lightbulbs bill 2023

Ah, good memories of kicking in the old metal dustbins, or just stealing the rubber tops and winging them in the canal.
May I add an amendment to that bill to bring back door step lemonade delivery drivers as well.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Next Tory manifesto is 14000 pages of 'remember when the milk came in glass bottles' in different fonts and sizes

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Cant wait till the chippy can start wrapping food in old newspapers again :barf:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

It's not very healthy for your indoor air either, even if they managed to replace the entire gas supply with a biogas or green hydrogen or a mixture you're still making nitrogen oxides in your kitchen.

Boilers are more excusable because at least they're >90% efficient (with good heaters) and vent outside above head level.

Yeah, I think I read it in an article about indoor air quality.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Cant wait till the chippy can start wrapping food in old newspapers again :barf:

With your luck it'll be used TP.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

No the correct way now is "fancy an Imperial pint with a crown on the glass you woke snowflakes, are you triggered, ha ha genders, does anyone want a packet of Tayt... oh :("

I wonder what kind of mental instability would make you care about having a crown on your pint glass.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bessantj posted:

I wonder what kind of mental instability would make you care about having a crown on your pint glass.

Probably the same one that makes you care about your passport being dark blue or your electronics being deadly.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

the sex ghost posted:

Next Tory manifesto is 14000 pages of 'remember when the milk came in glass bottles' in different fonts and sizes

My milk comes in glass bottles, oat-milk none the less.

Local dairy delivers it, tastes much better than that Oatley garbage.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
What was even the thing about pint glass crowns? I've never heard anyone mention it until the other day.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

stev posted:

Probably the same one that makes you care about your passport being dark blue or your electronics being deadly.

It feels like the product of a small mind to me.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Surprise T Rex posted:

What was even the thing about pint glass crowns? I've never heard anyone mention it until the other day.

It means Charles has first dibs on clearing the head from every pint pulled*

* by convention while this law remains in statute, it hasn't been excercised by the heir to the throne since 1762.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Surprise T Rex posted:

All pint glasses that were a legal serving measure used to have a crown etched into them to try to stop unscrupulous pubs from using smaller glasses.

It's one of those things where the original purpose has long passed but the symbol remains as a totem.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

lads, i think hes starting to get it

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1438596655545212930?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted: