Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GhostStalker posted:

Glenn, one of the producers, was who ran it for me back in 2014, but I think he had been let go by Mike by the time your wife was on, or at least had left of his own accord.

Yeah, my wife taped November 2017 so thankfully it was prior to all this nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Everything's still done with Nielsen because it's just been around forever and it's the info everyone has access to for selling ad time.

I don't think this is true. Someone schooled me on this on the jeopardy reddit.

If your smart TV has content recognition, it is reported.
If you use your cable company's streaming app, it is reported.
If you use Sling or Youtube TV, it is reported.

The only ethical way to watch Mike Richards Jeopardy! episodes is to download them from Usenet and then watch them on Linux while disconnected from the internet. which I do

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mlnhd posted:

The only ethical way to watch Mike Richards Jeopardy! episodes is to download them from Usenet and then watch them on Linux while disconnected from the internet. which I do

I’m curious, do you know how PVRs work in terms of reporting? If you just record does it count as “watched”, do you have to watch it within a certain number of days, or does it not count at all?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

HookShot posted:

I’m curious, do you know how PVRs work in terms of reporting? If you just record does it count as “watched”, do you have to watch it within a certain number of days, or does it not count at all?

I believe it has to be a watch, because I remember when there were the ratings for watching something live, and then watching something within 7 days.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Life is too short for me to worry about boycotting a host who's already gone anyways.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zakharov posted:

Life is too short for me to worry about boycotting a host who's already gone anyways.

Pretty much, might skip a night here or there, but I'll be watching thru as long as Matt is still up.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Golbez posted:

I believe it has to be a watch, because I remember when there were the ratings for watching something live, and then watching something within 7 days.

Cool, thanks!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

zakharov posted:

Yeah it's not like they're going to hire him back based on ratings.

I laughed when he ended Tuesday's show with "I hope to see you all tomorrow".

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

Matt rules and I hope he never loses

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wa27 posted:

I laughed when he ended Tuesday's show with "I hope to see you all tomorrow".
I'm glad I'm not the only one

Also, whatever writer made Mike Richards read out a clue about "moving the goalposts" deserves an award.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Ok, now I want to see if Matt can crack the million

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
At this point, how many hosts will he go through? It'll probably be six in the end but who knows?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Daily Double clues have been way too easy for a while, but especially lately.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, my wife taped November 2017 so thankfully it was prior to all this nonsense.

Fair enough, Covid definitely has hosed with my ability to reckon the passage of time…

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Matt’s shirt is all wrinkly

Edit: that Final was embarrassingly easy. And everyone spelled it wrong

mlnhd fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 16, 2021

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1438531143372922887?s=20

Glad Ken is getting another opportunity.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

mlnhd posted:

You still have to be in the Nielsen system for any of that to count though which is what people use when talking about ratings.

Companies have other internal numbers but we don't see those and they're never the pubically discussed ones.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 16, 2021

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This is 100% because Sony expects her stupid show to get cancelled next season so they can set Biyalik up to be the permanent host.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've never prayed harder for a show I've never heard of to stay on the air.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've never prayed harder for a show I've never heard of to stay on the air.

I watched an episode of it once, it was one of the few TV shows that I've turned off part way though the episode, it was that bad

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
She's not my favorite, but the sex creep didn't get the job so I can live with it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Only halfway, but uh oh, Matt.

edit: Ha, never mind.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 17, 2021

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That was a very impressive recovery in DJ.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

That was a loving softball Final Jeopardy earlier this week. Matt (who is cool and good) has talked about LotR in like 2-3 of his personal story segments; he watches all of them once a year. Then the FJ was about Tolkien.

Speaking of Matt, I absolutely love that he will say the numbers of what he's betting for Double Jeopardy instead of saying "a true daily double."

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Sean posted:

Speaking of Matt, I absolutely love that he will say the numbers of what he's betting for Double Jeopardy instead of saying "a true daily double."

True daily double would be fine, that's infinitely preferable to somehow thinking you have a cool catchphrase you've copyrighted with "all in" and miming pushing a pile of chips.

It bugs me when people are ambiguous on an early DD, though, when they could wager more than they have as the max. Is a "true daily double" what you have, or the max wager? Same for "everything", or someone in the most recent TOC I remember saying "Do it". I wonder if they clarify and edit that part out, because sometimes they get the full $1000/2000, sometimes they only double up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
No you won't

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Cool note about the middle contestant (Samit): my brother-in-law went to school with him and he writes for Polygon.

https://www.polygon.com/authors/samit-sarkar

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 18, 2021

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

No you won't

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1438915269343076352?s=21
https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/1439030234825707521?s=21

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Matt will have a very interesting file when his run is over. Besides the cash, he'll have seen three executive producers (taking into account the TOC), six (possibly seven) hosts and being a stabilizing force during what is the show's most challenging time in history.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Everything's still done with Nielsen because it's just been around forever and it's the info everyone has access to for selling ad time.

mlnhd posted:

or just don't let your TV talk to the drat internet, lol

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

or just don't let your TV talk to the drat internet, lol

:okboomer:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Iron Crowned posted:

No you won't

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

His follow up to this is great too

https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/1439068618759675909?s=20

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I think this time we should take his word for it.

Just as well, Jeopardy wasn't a good fit for him in my opinion. He should have a show that plays to his strengths. Something more methodical that rewards discovery as opposed to knowing Sibelius=Finnish composer. Not sure what that can be on commercial television for adults.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Island Nation posted:

I think this time we should take his word for it.

Just as well, Jeopardy wasn't a good fit for him in my opinion. He should have a show that plays to his strengths. Something more methodical that rewards discovery as opposed to knowing Sibelius=Finnish composer. Not sure what that can be on commercial television for adults.

Burton for Only Connect, the game rewarding lateral thinking, on your local PB--bwahahahaha oh yeah reading rainbow ended on a rather sour note with them, didn't it?

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 19, 2021

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Burton for Only Connect, the game rewarding lateral thinking, on your local PB--bwahahahaha oh yeah reading rainbow ended on rather sour note with them, didn't it?

He found out that Reading Rainbow got canceled the night before they got their 26th Emmy; LeVar made the announcement during his acceptance speech and he was pissed.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Snorb posted:

He found out that Reading Rainbow got canceled the night before they got their 26th Emmy; LeVar made the announcement during his acceptance speech and he was pissed.

I can't find any corroboration of this online, where can I learn more?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Golbez posted:

I can't find any corroboration of this online, where can I learn more?

I, also, would like to know more about this. Preferably with footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

BaronVonVaderham posted:

True daily double would be fine, that's infinitely preferable to somehow thinking you have a cool catchphrase you've copyrighted with "all in" and miming pushing a pile of chips.

It bugs me when people are ambiguous on an early DD, though, when they could wager more than they have as the max. Is a "true daily double" what you have, or the max wager? Same for "everything", or someone in the most recent TOC I remember saying "Do it". I wonder if they clarify and edit that part out, because sometimes they get the full $1000/2000, sometimes they only double up.

I’m pretty sure “true daily double” is understood as “what you have”. The host always reminds players that they can wager up to $1000. So if they’re going for the biggest risk, they can respond “Let’s do it”, “I’ll bet a thousand” or just “one thousand”. Saying “let’s make it a true daily double” in such a low-stakes moment is extra dumb.

I vaguely remember this happening once, years ago. It was probably a combination of nerves & fixating too hard on getting a chance to say the phrase. Alex was like “for $800 if you’re correct” at which point the player realized their mistake.