Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-qVV8zyVmI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Ain’t nothing wrong with sappy and sentimental

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

bows1 posted:

same with Thelma for Scorcese, hes used her for every movie hes done.

RIP Sally Menke

Theres a big drop in quality in Tarantino’s films after she died

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

loving hell this looks phenomenal

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

I never get around to seeing Del Toro's movies for some reason or another but I will make a point to check this out, drat.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You will believe a minority girl can fall in love with her brother’s killer if he’s a handsome white guy.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Is he beast or man? Man or beast? Beast or man?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

ruddiger posted:

You will believe a minority girl can fall in love with her brother’s killer if he’s a handsome white guy.

This is a bit of a trivialization of the plot of this very famous story but go off

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

the_american_dream posted:

Is he beast or man? Man or beast? Beast or man?

That's a mean way to talk about Ron Perlman.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

muscles like this! posted:

Lol, drat.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

muscles like this! posted:

But fair.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jewmanji posted:

I never get around to seeing Del Toro's movies for some reason or another but I will make a point to check this out, drat.

Yo what the gently caress

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Shageletic posted:

Spielberg's WotW is not an especially good movie. But goddamn its amazing on a scene to scene basis. So many amazing moments and thrill rides.

It's a shame that he's too sappy and sentimental to land it correctly.

I should go back and watch that version again, I remember liking it a lot. The conflict with the son wanting to run off to fight, the crowd going berserk at the ferry trying to take the van, the various Martian attacks, all that stuff I think worked pretty well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I remember watching Spielberg's WotW in theaters and enjoying it. That horn was nuts. I explicitly recall it shaking the seats lol; that was awesome. I watched it again maybe a year or so ago, and despite the schmaltz, it holds up well enough imo. Great visuals and sound plus Tom Cruise running is a good time.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah WOTW is really good and I agree, the horn in theatres was chilling. I still think about that tripod cresting the hill and honking while people are packed at the dock when I think about scenes that freaked me the gently caress out.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
The most striking part of the modern War of the Worlds movie for me was the army charging over the crest in their humvess and tanks, then nothing for a bit, then a very reduced number coming back over the crest on fire.

Visually stating "Nothing humanity can do, you're all going to die".

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yo what the gently caress

I’m not proud of it ok :(

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PeterCat posted:

Well first and foremost I was really into dinosaurs when I was growing up and could not figure out why they had this weird velociraptor instead of a Deinonychus. I suppose velociraptor is the name of an actual dinosaur but it really felt like a marketing choice.

The other thing is that I disagree with at least the Jeff goldblum's characters premise that man should not interfere in God's domain. There seems to be an undercurrent of the idea that creating the dinosaurs was wrong on its face and I don't necessarily agree with that. I did appreciate Jurassic Park 3 for agreeing with my assessment of the goldblum character.

The movie has a lot of good pieces to it but I feel it's a little over long, I didn't really like the child actors, I don't know it just didn't really gel for me.

The book is definitely better than the movie, but these complaints are very pedantic and lame.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dillbag posted:

Spielberg and Lucas owe their careers to their editors because if it wasn't for Verna Fields and Marcia Lucas, both directors would very likely be one and dones, IMHO.

What is this based on? I know less about Spielberg, but I know for Lucas he did oversee the editing of A New Hope so it seems a bit silly to perpetuate the idea that Marcia Lucas somehow salvaged his movie without his knowledge.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dillbag posted:

Spielberg and Lucas owe their careers to their editors because if it wasn't for Verna Fields and Marcia Lucas, both directors would very likely be one and dones, IMHO.

Oh yeah, someone who over a 40 year span has been nominated for Best Director 7 times and won twice and who has been nominated for Best Picture 10 times and one once is totally overrated.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Roth posted:

What is this based on? I know less about Spielberg, but I know for Lucas he did oversee the editing of A New Hope so it seems a bit silly to perpetuate the idea that Marcia Lucas somehow salvaged his movie without his knowledge.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Oh yeah, someone who over a 40 year span has been nominated for Best Director 7 times and won twice and who has been nominated for Best Picture 10 times and one once is totally overrated.

I think y'all are misreading that statement. Any director worth their salt will tell you how good their editor is and how many times they've saved a scene or the whole film. Editing is essential to the storytelling process. They are not just a hand for the director. They are story tellers themselves and know how to finesse a story.

I bring it up all the time but real the Paul Hirsch oral history "A Long Time Ago, In a Cutting Room Far Far Away..."

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Time-Cutting-Room-Away-ebook/dp/B07QNDVLX3

It's a great fun read, but you'll get a sense over and over again how many times an editor (not just him) can save something.

It's why great directors will latch onto a great editor when they find one!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Yeah I didn't mean to insinuate that either guy couldn't direct (well... maybe I have opinions about Lucas...), but if they didn't have great editors on their breakout films they would never have become the juggernauts that they are.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Has anybody else seen the Licorice Pizza trailer yet? They showed it at a screening at my local theater today.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

:wow:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vandar posted:

I would love for a proper adaptation of the Tripods trilogy to be made.

You're not counting the BBC series, then?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I think y'all are misreading that statement. Any director worth their salt will tell you how good their editor is and how many times they've saved a scene or the whole film. Editing is essential to the storytelling process. They are not just a hand for the director. They are story tellers themselves and know how to finesse a story.

I bring it up all the time but real the Paul Hirsch oral history "A Long Time Ago, In a Cutting Room Far Far Away..."

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Time-Cutting-Room-Away-ebook/dp/B07QNDVLX3

It's a great fun read, but you'll get a sense over and over again how many times an editor (not just him) can save something.

It's why great directors will latch onto a great editor when they find one!

I picked this up earlier this week, it's a great read, highly recommended.

e: And filmmaking is a team effort, auteur theory be damned.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 17, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This looks very interesting.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

The book is definitely better than the movie

As a huge fan of the book, this is an insane statement.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Roth posted:

who said it was without his knowledge?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Jedit posted:

You're not counting the BBC series, then?

Where’s our City of Gold and Lead? No matter how good it was (for the time) it was unfinished.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

who said it was without his knowledge?

Yeah that was weird.

Also I strongly encourage listening to the non-fiction radio drama Blockbuster. Season 1 is about Spielberg and Lucas' starts and the editing portion plays a big role.

It's a little unsettling at first, hearing these sort of radio-play actors do it. But it becomes comfortable really fast and is really fun and informative!

Season 2 is about James Cameron and is fun too.

Anyway, new (to me) trailers!

The Humans from A24: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3Whb77eXc

Looks amazing and heart wrenching.

Also from A24: C'Mon C'Mon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mzushAOM88

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I don’t think anyone is unaware that editing plays a huge role or that directors do not make movies by themselves, but you can make the same statement about their success relative to so many other facets of their early films: performances, special effects, score, etc. It’s not any kind of interesting insight to say that editing helped make those films successful, of course it did, that’s true of literally any film. Why Spielberg and Lucas are being singled out for it is baffling.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Colonel Whitey posted:

I don’t think anyone is unaware that editing plays a huge role or that directors do not make movies by themselves, but you can make the same statement about their success relative to so many other facets of their early films: performances, special effects, score, etc. It’s not any kind of interesting insight to say that editing helped make those films successful, of course it did, that’s true of literally any film. Why Spielberg and Lucas are being singled out for it is baffling.

Just because we were talking about them anyway. The editing talk grew out of talking about them, not the other way around.

But also they have very famous stories of editing saving their films. Star Wars was a near disaster until Marcia stepped in.

And I still think you're downplaying editors. Like it's just another cog in the group machine. They have a closer relationship to the director and the direct success of a film more than any other thing you mention I'd wager. Good editors have a *huge* influence on the narrative of a film.
That's why folks are talking about it. The general perception is that it's just someone running an Avid and helping the director select and place shots, and I think they'd have their mind blown at how much a good editor creates the story. How much a director's initial vision changes once their editor gets in the bay. So much stuff is shifted around... scenes meant for ACT 3 all of a sudden solve a problem in ACT 1, etc. Just things like that.

I think that *is* an interesting viewpoint that many people aren't aware of so it's fun to share.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 17, 2021

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This conversation started because someone said Spielberg and Lucas would be nobodies if it weren’t for their editors which is true in a sense of any filmmaker but also downplays those directors’ talents to an insane degree and is the wrong way to frame a discussion about the importance of editing, if that’s the discussion you want to have.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Colonel Whitey posted:

This conversation started because someone said Spielberg and Lucas would be nobodies if it weren’t for their editors which is true in a sense of any filmmaker but also downplays those directors’ talents to an insane degree and is the wrong way to frame a discussion about the importance of editing, if that’s the discussion you want to have.

You asked why they were singled out and it was because we were talking about them already (the trailer to Spielberg's West Side Story had been posted and their catalog discussion had started).

edited for clarity:

Nobody is framing this like they are talentless hacks that are carried to success by their directors. What they were referring to was the famous stories of being saved by their editors on their breakout hits (Jaws with it's broken shark and no footage and Star Wars was a notorious narrative shitshow before Marcia reworked it all). And if those breakout hits weren't saved, then who knows where their careers would be. They could have never taken off with how fickle that industry can be.

Spielberg is obviously very talented.

George Lucas is you're quintessential "idea man" but I think he's a terrible director personally. Good conceptual guy though.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 17, 2021

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

DanTheFryingPan posted:

I picked this up earlier this week, it's a great read, highly recommended.

e: And filmmaking is a team effort, auteur theory be damned.

There's plenty of auteur writing about how actors, cinematographers, and editors change the mood and play of a film.(Cary Grant vs Jimmy Stewart in Hitchcock movies comes to mind)

Auteur theory is less about how X director is solely responsible for the film, but how individual artistry is revealed and evolves when observing a huge body of work by an artist.

The big auteurs that Cashiers recognize were all studio filmmakers for the most part. Howard Hawks, Alfred Hitchcock, John Ford, Anthony Mann. John Ford, Howard Hawks, Anthony Mann, all made westerns, often with the same actors or covering similar themes, yet you'll never mistake a Ford Western with a Mann western. Howard Hawks made all type of films, noir, musicals, comedies, adventure films, westerns, yet they all recognizable as Howard Hawks movies, because they recurring themes, preoccupations, styles(the Hawksian woman).

It's also true that a bunch of directors seem to believe that auteur theory is about them.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

defending the accusation of being overrated by going "they got a lot of oscars" isnt exactly a good rebuttal lol

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Marcia Lucas would be considered one of the greatest editors of all time even she had only worked on the Scorsese movies she did, but the whole "Marcia Lucas reworked all of Star Wars which was a total disaster" doesn't actually hold up under much scrutiny.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Almost Blue posted:

Marcia Lucas would be considered one of the greatest editors of all time even she had only worked on the Scorsese movies she did, but the whole "Marcia Lucas reworked all of Star Wars which was a total disaster" doesn't actually hold up under much scrutiny.

I mean she didn't rework 100% of it. But every history of it I've heard (granted a lot of it is oral history) all jive with it was a mess and she fixed lots of the very important parts. What refutes that? (Not attacking, I'm just curious)

I was basing my judgement on it of Paul Hirsch's memoir, the Blockbuster podcast.

Marcia has her own autobiography which I'm going to pick up.

Some more info here:

https://j-nelson.net/2019/12/how-marcia-lucas-and-smart-editing-saved-star-wars/

Which takes a creative writing approach to analyzing this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEHRNS-Scrs

Of course now-a-days everyone changes their retelling of that first screening with Spielberg and DePalma (and I feel like someone else was there but can't remember), but I think it was very clear that it needed a lot of work and I'm not just talking about the missing VFX.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Marcia Lucas was an editor, and thus probably helped the movie in the same way most editors do. That is their job. The only problem here is that we tend to attribute everything that works in a movie to a director. The cinematographer probably also helped make the film what it was! Ditto John Williams, etc.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 17, 2021