Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frances Nurples posted:

why is richmond flooding now?

someone in california asked for more rain, and the finger curled on the monkey paw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Frances Nurples posted:

why is richmond flooding now?

why not

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Delta-Wye posted:

who was worried about there not being enough water? there is plenty of water

there is, and there will be, adequate water

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they accidently removed the general levee statue instead of general lee

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Things may be getting apocalyptic in BC

https://twitter.com/AmandaWawryk/status/1438651441799827463

https://twitter.com/MichaelCarterWx/status/1438624487306584067

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

drat that divider is doing some WORK :trumppop:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Real hurthling! posted:

they accidently removed the general levee statue instead of general lee

ayeeeee

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bulgakov posted:

drat that divider is doing some WORK :trumppop:

this is east of baton rouge along i-12, in 2016

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 01:10 on Sep 17, 2021

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I'm near Seattle and the trees are so weak my dad says he hears them cracking and falling in the greenbelt behind his house. He had a fancy maple tree split in half from drought stress in August.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol we're gonna get so hosed for sure. I'm surrounded by trees that are overladen by ivy and that are weak as poo poo and droopy from the drought.

definitely planning to have no power this weekend and maybe if I get lucky nothing will fall through my house or my neighbors.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

silicone thrills posted:

lol we're gonna get so hosed for sure. I'm surrounded by trees that are overladen by ivy and that are weak as poo poo and droopy from the drought.

definitely planning to have no power this weekend and maybe if I get lucky nothing will fall through my house or my neighbors.

Strike first, throw your house at the trees. They'll never expect it.

That does suck though, stay safe.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

drought storm is a disaster I never heard of before, climate change full of plot twists

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

Yeah I'm trying to get all the chores that need power (dishes, laundry) done before the storm hits. Depending on which way the wind blows I shouldn't have any tree damage but who knows. It looks like most of the wind is going to stick to BC and Vancouver Island so hopefully the power won't go out but it'd suck to be trapped in a dark house full of stinky dishes if it did.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

get ya bath tub water ready and hold on to your butts

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Virigoth posted:

get ya bath tub water ready and hold on to your butts

Speaking of which does anyone have the link to the bath water fillable tank? Remember it came up during the freeze, but can't find it in the thread.

Cletus Van Damme
May 7, 2008

Wanna buy some cheap starships?

Zil posted:

Speaking of which does anyone have the link to the bath water fillable tank? Remember it came up during the freeze, but can't find it in the thread.

This is the one I got last year, its out of stock but might help you search. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001AXLUX2/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

climate proof Pacific Northwest

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cletus Van Damme posted:

This is the one I got last year, its out of stock but might help you search. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001AXLUX2/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hahahahahahaha. oh man disaster capitalism is awesome. someone saw the first 5 mins of The Road and had an idea

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

People have been filling their bathtubs before power outages since way before I was a kid. If you have multiple animals it's really not that much water. When the power will be out for a week or two get some of these as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Aqua-Tainer-Gallon-Container/dp/B07S6JXCYJ/

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cletus Van Damme posted:

lmao $100 for a bathtub sized bag? You can fill a 20' container box for that

you are like little survivalist baby, watch this (aliexpress link)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just buy the blue 55 gallons like an adult.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I have 5 gallon water cubes I take camping. They own

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

This is exactly what houston looked like after Harvey except the dividers were washed out and replaced by some kind of black plastic inflatable dam. I remember driving to work and looking over the things at water that would come up to about my chin - and the houses a little further out with water up to their roof

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I live literally one block from one of the houston reservoirs. When we moved here we were looking at one other place that ended up being under about 8 feet of water, but instead we happened to pick the place that sits 14in above the top of the levee. None of this was really advertised. People knew that 'retention ponds' existed toward town but it was thought of as a holding pond or something, certainly not a massive floodplain which the houses were in.

The genesis of the problem is explained below. Ultimately everyone is to blame, public/politicians/developers all.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
You best start believing in climate dystopias, Miss Turner. Yer in one.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Acelerion posted:

I live literally one block from one of the houston reservoirs. When we moved here we were looking at one other place that ended up being under about 8 feet of water, but instead we happened to pick the place that sits 14in above the top of the levee. None of this was really advertised. People knew that 'retention ponds' existed toward town but it was thought of as a holding pond or something, certainly not a massive floodplain which the houses were in.

The genesis of the problem is explained below. Ultimately everyone is to blame, public/politicians/developers all.

I was offered a job working within that huge texas medical center complex, but I loving hate humidity

does seem like something where you could live downtown and not need a car though

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

does seem like something where you could live downtown and not need a car though

:hmmno:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

actionjackson posted:

I was offered a job working within that huge texas medical center complex, but I loving hate humidity

lol

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

actionjackson posted:

not having a car implies walking

walking implies pedestrian infrastructure

houston has no pedestrain infrastructure, few sidewalks, rare crosswalks, it is impossible to navigate on foot by design

also its hot and humid and you'll get mild heat stroke walking 20 minutes on some days

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

actionjackson posted:

fellow goon, please do not be a pedestrian in America

there are much less painful ways to commit suicide than getting smashed flat by a pickup

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

M_Gargantua posted:

houston has no pedestrain infrastructure, few sidewalks, rare crosswalks, it is impossible to navigate on foot by design

also its hot and humid and you'll get mild heat stroke walking 20 minutes on some days

lol not just bikes had a great video specifically about how horrific walking anywhere in houston is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxykI30fS54&t=18s

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Prety much this. The center of downtown is all office spaces and it turns into a ghost town at 5:00. Its kind of eerie walking around after working hours. It feels like an abandoned city.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

lol not just bikes had a great video specifically about how horrific walking anywhere in houston is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxykI30fS54&t=18s

This was like trying to walk in Richmond BC only I had Maseratis trying to run me over instead of lifted pickup trucks. I had a sidewalk end and went to grass but then there was a giant shrub blocking the path and there aren't any crosswalks anywhere. It was a nightmare.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

actionjackson posted:

oh god lmfao hahahahahahahahahahha no. i lived in downtown houston for awhile and mostly got around by bike. i lost count of the number of times cars swerved at me as a joke. houston is a car death trap next to only poo poo like phoenix.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

good point, I forgot it was texas

it does look like there's public transit that takes... 22 minutes from "midtown" the the medical center - is that light rail or bus?

I remember being in Dallas once, in August lol loving 100+ and no clouds every day, also I was with a friend that used a wheelchair, and trying to cross a giant intersection, there was no little ramp for wheelchair access at the median

guess it makes sense, texas does love executing people with disabilities

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Sep 17, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thats called a curb cut

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
if you're going to walk around a bunch outside where it's all hot and humid just move to new orleans, at least there it's legal to drink a beer while you do so

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lacrosse posted:

I have 5 gallon water cubes I take camping. They own

I have one‐gallon cubes and for some reason they taste faintly of spoiled milk.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I have one‐gallon cubes and for some reason they taste faintly of spoiled milk.

Try rinsing it out with white vinegar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pryor on Fire posted:

People have been filling their bathtubs before power outages since way before I was a kid. If you have multiple animals it's really not that much water. When the power will be out for a week or two get some of these as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Aqua-Tainer-Gallon-Container/dp/B07S6JXCYJ/

just steal some 5 gal water jugs from work