Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

All comic guns should be either cylinders with holes on the end or rectangular prisms with holes on the end. None of this realistic gun poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

but later

Superboy #78 (1960)

Speedball #9 (1989)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
A fairly subtle but surprisingly dirty joke from The Last Annihilation: Wakanda #1.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Darthemed posted:

but later

Superboy #78 (1960)

Speedball #9 (1989)

I was such a Marvel Zombie back in my youth that I bought almost anything they published that made it to the Waldenbooks or newsstand at my local mall. I bought all 10 issues of Speedball as they came out and even I had to admit that book was hot garbage. Ditko’s art was horrific, and Roger Stern was phoning it in. That middle panel of Robbie saying “MY PARENTS DONT LOVE ME ANYMORE” might be the worst Ditko had drawn to that point. That whole series is ripe for this thread - this comic wouldn’t have flown in the silver age, let alone the late 80’s. Also maybe don’t name your star character after a coke/heroin mix at the tail end of the cocaine epidemic.

And to top it all off, the letterer misspelled “prostitute”.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I believe it was 3-G where the writer by the end got really frustrated that they were writing a fairly dramatic story with who they wanted to be modern young adults, but the artist just refused to draw anything other than 'bland people in 70s-esque business fashion talking at each other'.
There was a week where the narration boxes/dialogue said Margo had gone into a diner. The art said she was talking to somebody on the sidewalk.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

GPTribefan posted:

I was such a Marvel Zombie back in my youth that I bought almost anything they published that made it to the Waldenbooks or newsstand at my local mall. I bought all 10 issues of Speedball as they came out and even I had to admit that book was hot garbage. Ditko’s art was horrific, and Roger Stern was phoning it in. That middle panel of Robbie saying “MY PARENTS DONT LOVE ME ANYMORE” might be the worst Ditko had drawn to that point. That whole series is ripe for this thread - this comic wouldn’t have flown in the silver age, let alone the late 80’s. Also maybe don’t name your star character after a coke/heroin mix at the tail end of the cocaine epidemic.

Personally my favorite part is how the eyes were clearly supposed to be closed in the last panel but someone decided to "fix" it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Logan is slashing through a holographic representation of an AI based on MODOK.

X-Men Unlimited #3

(formatting screenshots of an infinite canvas comic is hard)

VirtualBasement
Jun 5, 2006

"Be not afraid..."

GPTribefan posted:

Wait, that's supposed to be serious? Holy poo poo!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

BSS: Batman's Scrappy Sidekick > Post Funny Panels: And to top it all off, the letterer misspelled “prostitute”.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

All comic guns should be either cylinders with holes on the end or rectangular prisms with holes on the end. None of this realistic gun poo poo.

All Liefeld Cable guns all the time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Splint Chesthair posted:

There was that Wolverine panel (trading card?) where he had been shot up, but the artist drew it as if the bullets had been jammed into his body, casings and all. I could not give less of a poo poo about off-model guns in comics, but I love it when an goof like that gets through to publication.

Does anyone remember what I’m talking about? I can’t find the artwork anywhere.

Worse is when it happens in movies.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Endless Mike posted:

What about the Pump Action, Double Barrelled shotgun, as so often seen on the Simpsons?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Splint Chesthair posted:

There was that Wolverine panel (trading card?) where he had been shot up, but the artist drew it as if the bullets had been jammed into his body, casings and all. I could not give less of a poo poo about off-model guns in comics, but I love it when an goof like that gets through to publication.

The one I thought of was where the artist tried to do bullet-time, freeze-framing dozens of rounds coming from someone's gun. Except he drew them still in their cartridges.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Question IRL posted:

What about the Pump Action, Double Barrelled shotgun, as so often seen on the Simpsons?

https://youtu.be/h1nD4o3zTfo

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Strange Tales #107 (1963)

Haunted #43 (1979)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

Haunted #43 (1979)

@ScrubQuotesX

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Darthemed posted:

Strange Tales really earning it's title here.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Splint Chesthair posted:

I dunno the Wolverine pic, but here's Optimus Prime with a similar look:

https://imgur.com/ZTgfRby (imgur doesn't usually work for me, so here's a link just in case)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

perfect username/avatar material right here

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm actually in the middle of a book about Vietnam veteran combat trauma, and it mentions incidents where soldiers survived seemingly impossibly deadly situations, such is this:

Achilles in Vietnam posted:

One veteran was struck in the flesh of his upper arm by a spent .50-caliber machine gun bullet. This heavy, high-velocity bullet, which can be lethal at a range of three thousand to four thousand yards, was projecting from his skin. He simply pulled it out, and the corpsman put on field dressing.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Porpoise smiling like he really is to blame for this.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

BooDooBoo posted:

I dunno the Wolverine pic, but here's Optimus Prime with a similar look:

https://imgur.com/ZTgfRby (imgur doesn't usually work for me, so here's a link just in case)

I always think of Terminator 2 when i see that. several times you see grenade rounds, sometimes sticking out of the bad guy terminator, before they explode, and i remember a lot of kids in 3rd and 4th grade drawing bullet like that because of it.
I guess if you only see bullets on tv or other comics maybe?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I always think of Terminator 2 when i see that. several times you see grenade rounds, sometimes sticking out of the bad guy terminator, before they explode, and i remember a lot of kids in 3rd and 4th grade drawing bullet like that because of it.
I guess if you only see bullets on tv or other comics maybe?

In this case it's echoing the Image books.

I mean, look at it, those are unfired cartridges, which have come OUT of his face!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Transformers are high-tech. Clearly those are old rounds that have been adapted for use in a railgun or gravity-slingshot or the like.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Gah, I wish I remember what it was, there was a realistic artist drawing someone stopping/chopping bullets in half with their mind, but screwed up and drew the shells/jackets and everyone gave them poo poo because it was a splash page or cover and super obvious. John Cassaday? Bryan Hitch?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mashle is a serious battle manga about serious fights

Mashle - Chapter 78

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Samovar posted:

Worse is when it happens in movies.
I want to say it was in the first or second episode of Terra Nova (TV show, 2011, one season) that I saw one of the characters shotgun-pump an AK.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Elfface posted:

Transformers are high-tech. Clearly those are old rounds that have been adapted for use in a railgun or gravity-slingshot or the like.

Aperture Labs turret tech. That's 65% more bullet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i-nMWgBUp0

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

from The Last Annihilation: Wiccan and Hulkling

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's okay, Avalanche, just get a katamari and you can pick it all right up.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah comics artists, unless they had military experience, are not great at drawing real guns. But nobody's going to have a derringer these days, they're for serious nuts who want concealable firepower, not home defense enthusiasts like Narda here. She would want something small, but a Beretta would definitely fit her needs.

I get that, it's more that I both sincerely couldn't make out what that was and feeling outright disbelief at her pulling that out and scaring someone off with what looks like a toy gun with almost no ammo in it.

(I presume the writer imagined a standard piece of some kind and the artist had other ideas. Or he was drunk.)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

evilmiera posted:

(I presume the writer imagined a standard piece of some kind and the artist had other ideas. Or he was drunk.)

The writer and the artist were the same person, and though he probably wasn't drunk, he was nearly 80.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Fantastic Four #62 (1967)

Fantastic Four #63 (1967)

Spidey Super Stories #28 (1977)

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Spidey Super Stories #28 (1977)

You know he's only saying that so he can cheap out on paying for the photos.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

kdrudy posted:

You know he's only saying that so he can cheap out on paying for the photos.

It reminds me of one of my favourite quotes from the GW game Bloodbowl about Superstar player, Griff Oberwald, after he scored three touchdowns in his first professional game.

quote:

When Griff Oberwald first played for the Reikland Reavers, it was recorded that head coach, Helmut Zwimmer, said, "Zat boy is almost above average."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just realized that SSS panel was a repost, so here's another pair for today.

Ghost Rider #8 (1974)

The Defenders #46 (1977)

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Those first few issues of Ghost Rider are nuts. All the convulsed storytelling of Heavy Claremont with all the 70s thrill of motorcycle stunt racing.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Fantastic Four #63 (1967)

Ha ha the 60s comics had some of the most amazing dialogue when it comes to women. I wish I could find the issue but there is a panel where Sue says something like: "Oh I don't know what to say." and Reed replies something like "Good, women are for kissing not listening to." had me howling.

Fantastic Four Annual #21

Didn't realise the Inhumans were catholic.

Fantastic Four Annual #21

Excalibur #2

Wonder where she got that idea from.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

DCeased: Dead Planet #2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mystery Men Comics #15 (1940)

Doctor Doom #6 (2020)