Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Loucks posted:

Now it’s just a matter of making sure he doesn’t ... try to ride his bike off a homemade ramp next to the street.

You monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yeah I don't hit my kids so I'm already doing better than my parents.

it's so easy not to hit your children. like I've never even considered it as a punishment. the gently caress.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

brugroffil posted:

You monster

True, but I still let him climb trees and swim in rivers that might or might not be full of E. coli.

Around here parents love to put up those little “slow down, kids play here” signs by the street which works on me and apparently no one else. Yet they get mad when I deploy my homemade spike strips. :rolleyes:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My toddler decided to jump off the back of the couch yesterday. He landed well and I think it scared him more than anything. Couple minutes of snuggle and he was back to normal.

Dudes gonna cost me a lot in medical bills.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I spanked my kid once. No defense, I was just exhausted and desperate and totally out of ideas. Wasn’t even hard, and it was like three swats, but I’ve regretted it ever since and would never do it again. I sometimes wonder if every parent carries around a set of parenting regrets that can’t really be absolved. Then I see the way parents treat their kids in public and realize that no, lol, most people are terrible assholes who shouldn’t be entrusted with caring for humans.

Mustached Demon posted:

My toddler decided to jump off the back of the couch yesterday. He landed well and I think it scared him more than anything. Couple minutes of snuggle and he was back to normal.

Dudes gonna cost me a lot in medical bills.

Kids bounce. Not literally, but between my kid, those of friends, and my extended family the number of things that should have hosed up children vs the things that actually did is a shockingly high ratio.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I called my son an rear end in a top hat last week and his response was literally "What did you just call me???"

I thought he was gonna recite the navy seal copy pasta.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

That reminds me of the time a year or so ago when my son wanted to tell me all about slenderman. The Internet ruins yet another generation.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i shouldn't care because medical protocols are what they are in plague times, and at the end of the day ill see the kid all the time once she's born but i haven't been able to go to a single ultrasound and it kinda sucks

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dreylad posted:

i shouldn't care because medical protocols are what they are in plague times, and at the end of the day ill see the kid all the time once she's born but i haven't been able to go to a single ultrasound and it kinda sucks

See if there is anywhere in town that does ultrasounds outside of the hospital. Initially when my wife was pregnant I wasn't going to be able to go to any so we did that. Some nurses ran it as a side business on nights and weekends.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Thoguh posted:

See if there is anywhere in town that does ultrasounds outside of the hospital. Initially when my wife was pregnant I wasn't going to be able to go to any so we did that. Some nurses ran it as a side business on nights and weekends.

Even the clinics aren't allowing people in as part of provincial mandates. What can you do.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Loucks posted:

True, but I still let him climb trees and swim in rivers that might or might not be full of E. coli.

Around here parents love to put up those little “slow down, kids play here” signs by the street which works on me and apparently no one else. Yet they get mad when I deploy my homemade spike strips. :rolleyes:

our neighors put up some a couple years ago, this is maybe 8 months after we moved into our new house.

why is that significant? cause we live on a dead end street and our house is the last one. I am 100% convinced the neighbors got together and put then up for my wife who has a lead foot.

I wish they had called me i would have got in on it

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"drive like your children lived here!"

"They do lol vroom vroom"

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

sonatinas posted:

yeah my pediatrician told me if the fall is usually from their height then just kinda watch out for anything unusual after. mine was also on an ottoman and then hit head first on it and then floor I was pretty shaken but then front of the kids head is reinforced I guess but I still became extra careful

We taught our kids to 'dust it off' every time they take a tumble. It gives them a task to preoccupy their attention before they have time to process whether or not they're hurt and is amazing at stopping crocodile tears before they start. It's also a quick way for us to tell if it's an actual injury if they are still crying after dusting it off lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Dreylad posted:

that does suck, i couldnt go to a lot of my kids early doctors appointments because they only let one parent go and my wife, since she was nursing, wanted to be the one who took him so she could ask the pediatrician questions about nursing and stuff. our kid was born like right when the pandemic started too and we were worried that the hospital wouldn't allow me to go. thankfully they let one support person be there.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

We taught our kids to 'dust it off' every time they take a tumble. It gives them a task to preoccupy their attention before they have time to process whether or not they're hurt and is amazing at stopping crocodile tears before they start. It's also a quick way for us to tell if it's an actual injury if they are still crying after dusting it off lol

we go "boom goes the baby!" all excited like to do the same sort of distraction

it's amazing how little poo poo he gives about tripping on concrete and skinning his knees

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Dreylad posted:

for a “regular” pregnancy, we had exactly 2 ultrasounds the whole way through during covidtimes. I think they were trying to condition into not worrying too much and just let things happen. jokes on them, I’ll never stop worrying.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

that does suck, i couldnt go to a lot of my kids early doctors appointments because they only let one parent go and my wife, since she was nursing, wanted to be the one who took him so she could ask the pediatrician questions about nursing and stuff. our kid was born like right when the pandemic started too and we were worried that the hospital wouldn't allow me to go. thankfully they let one support person be there.

my friend gave birth on christmas last year and no one could go in with her. it's rough! hoping that things wont be too bad when the baby's due in December

meanolmrcloud posted:

for a “regular” pregnancy, we had exactly 2 ultrasounds the whole way through during covidtimes. I think they were trying to condition into not worrying too much and just let things happen. jokes on them, I’ll never stop worrying.

my wife's had a few complications, nothing too serious thankfully, but i think we're up to number 6 now.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 20:26 on Sep 17, 2021

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

friday night is football night and stepdaughter wants to bring friends over after the game
we set parameters and expectations but are we now 'those' parents *sesh*

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

We're trying to get our kid to watch less Paw Patrol and more classic Scandinavian kid's shows. Right now, we're having some luck, and especially one episode really caught my eye as pretty good. Alfie Atkins (Alfons Åberg) is a kid living with his (implied) single dad in an apartment, and there are a bunch of books about him doing regular kids stuff, including a lot of his imagination. The books have been turned into a TV show in a very faithful way.
Anyway, the episode we saw deals with Alfie, age 6, who's playing soldiers with his friend Hamdi. Hamdi's dad used to be a soldier "in his old country", but he doesn't like to talk about it, but of course he eventually does. And then he, in a very honest (but kid friendly) way tells about how war is bad. It's tied to a story about fixing a football goal, and ends up with the moral that war is destruction, which is bad, and instead of destroying things, we should build things. It just knocked me out the way it took this very serious, but very real and potentially relevant, topic and explained it to a 6 year old (or in actuality my 4 year old who was paying very close attention trying to make sense of it (and probably with limited success on the first run)).
Short version: Alfie Atkins is good, and the story about the soldier dad is very good.

I found the original book on Wikipedia if anyone is interested: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfons_och_soldatpappan

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
If your kids love dogs but you hate cops then try Bluey to get them away from Paw Patrol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

puppy dog pals is ok too

a lot less class traitor than paw patrol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I love that we've been doing virtual school for two years now and his teachers still queue up YouTube videos with interstitial ads that just blast the children with products in the middle of story time.

Like either get ad-free subs or just read them a fuckin book using a document camera. My kid doesn't need need a Taco Bell ad at 9:30 am.

Man I want a crunch wrap now gently caress

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

back to in person has brought back the loving grab bag that is teachers'\schools' ability to follow through on a 504 plan.

Like it ranges from "phoning to let you know your child had an emotional crisis moment but our team deescalated the situation and we've collectively learned from this situation" to "here's a note on his homework folder that your son looked at me weird today so I marked his entire day as Bad Behavior"

Thankfully none of these schools have cops so far so it isn't "Just phoning to let you know Officer Greg choked slammed your autistic \ adhd 7 year old through a lunch table and your boy is being charged as an adult with felony assault and resisting arrest for crying too hard while being handcufffed. Please contact his homeroom teacher for tomorrow's homework"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I was just thinking (again) how I used to ask him "what'd you do at school today?" and get 0 feedback aside from what I could find in his backpack.

and now I know intimately everything he did and didn't do at school every single day.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

also: I just looked up what a 504 plan is and that sounds stressful as heck and it makes me realize how many hardships I don't endure daily.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
god dammit my kid picks up the Apple TV remote clicks Siri and says search YouTube paw patrol

fuuuck

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

one thing that changed with virtual school this year versus last year is that since we explicitly
opted in to the program, the teacher is super into making sure they're on camera and the camera is active. like it's an explicit policy now.

love to gently caress my kid up differently than other parents who are also loving up their kids.

oh man today was the first time a parent got on the mic and was like "she doesn't have to be on camera. that's violation of state law." and the teacher just said "oh thanks for being here!" and moved on lol

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I love that we've been doing virtual school for two years now and his teachers still queue up YouTube videos with interstitial ads that just blast the children with products in the middle of story time.

Like either get ad-free subs or just read them a fuckin book using a document camera. My kid doesn't need need a Taco Bell ad at 9:30 am.

Man I want a crunch wrap now gently caress
lmao that was pissing me off last year during virtual-K as well
what rules though is that when we let our now-1st grader watch shows on youtube, they're a pro at skipping the ads
so much so that our toddler learned from watching them on how to skip the ads using the chromecast remote as well

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
today there was a dude playing a violin outside and he had a sign that was like "please help, need money for rent for my mom" or something, and he was really good

so i give my 6yo son a dollar and say "hey buddy when we drive by, give him that dollar" and he threw a fit because he didn't understand why i'd want to give a stranger the dollar instead of letting him keep it

so anyway i guess I'm inadvertently raising a capitalism monster

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i disagree, throwing a tantrum and screaming "wheres my loving money" is extremely cspam

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The Nastier Nate posted:

so anyway i guess I'm inadvertently raising a capitalism monster

Buy him a copy of Atlas Shrugged and force him to read it as punishment imo

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i will teach my child about the dynamics of power by using the parent-child relationship as a model, and just being a lovely parent who makes arbitrary and selfish decisions

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

lol that Dogman avatar

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Another Bill posted:

Buy him a copy of Atlas Shrugged and force him to read it as punishment imo

Ahh the ol’ “make them chain smoke the whole pack” strategy.

Also I’m certain light-up shoes are some kind of CIA op. I can’t find sneakers for my kid that don’t feature branded characters with incredibly obnoxious blinking lights. When I was a kid they only had a dim red blinking light that died after a week!

Blinking some kind of message straight into my kid’s brain about obeying authority figures except your dad.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Pulcinella posted:

Ahh the ol’ “make them chain smoke the whole pack” strategy.

Also I’m certain light-up shoes are some kind of CIA op. I can’t find sneakers for my kid that don’t feature branded characters with incredibly obnoxious blinking lights. When I was a kid they only had a dim red blinking light that died after a week!

Blinking some kind of message straight into my kid’s brain about obeying authority figures except your dad.

i spend a little more and buy my kids these, https://tsukihoshi.com

For a cheaper option I do see plain ones at target though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

we just get second hand shoes whenever possible.

both of my kids have gravitated strongly towards flip flops, sandals, or crocs for chosen footwear regardless of the season.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

U-DO Burger posted:

i will teach my child about the dynamics of power by using the parent-child relationship as a model, and just being a lovely parent who makes arbitrary and selfish decisions

i mean, we all have to a degree

anyone whose never sent their kids to their room for some bullshit reason just to get 10 minutes of quiet raise your hand

i'll wait

we just get second hand shoes whenever possible.

both of my kids have gravitated strongly towards flip flops, sandals, or crocs for chosen footwear regardless of the season.

my son loved his crocs in the summer, he'd come home from his outdoorsy summer camp with his feet all gross and dirty, i kept calling him a hobbit but he did not understand the reference

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

SELF CARE ISN'T BAD PARENTING

....now keep the kids busy for five minutes while I go in the bathroom to do some bong rips....

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

one of our pet rats just died suddenly and our 4-year-old is getting her intro to grief :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Another Bill posted:

SELF CARE ISN'T BAD PARENTING

....now keep the kids busy for five minutes while I go in the bathroom to do some bong rips....

sorry kiddo, i know numberblocks is fun, but there simply isn't any better form of self-care than sekiro