Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the real question is how crow speedrunning the uldren characterization is going to impact our understanding of the risen

is literally everyone treating crow like uldren what's turning him into what he was before he was raised?

or are risen naturally predisposed to their former personalities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Mara Sov mentions she can still see a fragment of Uldren in there, and she wants him to be her brother again so maybe Bungie has PLANS.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm sorry guardian, but it is imperative that Crow not learn of his past identity and fall to darkness again. Our past lives are exactly that - past. We look to the future, and the hope that the traveller brings. ANY interaction with our past lives can be-

Oh hey Anna, how's Rasputin doing? Cool cool, your darkness wielding sister still teaching guardians? Love the ID badge for your family's hidden base on Europa. Cool, well you keep at it, you funky lil bean.

- uh, anyway yes. That's why we've stationed Crow in a corridor just down the hall from his sister, his close friend and the god that corrupted him using his memories of the first two.

Also buy this hat.

(This roleplay brought to you by the Zavala Is A Bad Father society for the performing arts)

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I like using Stasis right up in Zavala's face, like "you cant tell me what to do dad!"

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

As a new player, my opinion on stasis is that it turns my screen into cluttered exploding chaos. Not sure if that means I like or dislike it though

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not knowing much of D1, is Uldren the first instance of a guardian being someone from the present to the point where he could theoretically reclaim aspects of his old life even though he’s not that person anymore. Most guardians are from the old past that spent a long time dead while their ghost searched for them, right?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 17, 2021

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not knowing much of D1, is Uldren the first instance of a guardian being someone from the present to the point where he could theoretically reclaim aspects of his old life even though he’s not that person anymore. Most guardians are from the old past that spent a long time time while their ghost searched for them, right?

He is the only person we've seen resurrected for the first time on screen (besides the Hive, I guess edit: and ourselves

additional edit: I forgot about the Zavala trailer!

hiddenriverninja fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 17, 2021

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012
What are the best combat armor mods for Crucible (besides Radiant Light and Powerful Friends) that are actually useful beyond stat bumps?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I could swear there’s dialogue/lore somewhere where a corsair or techeun says she knew Zavala before he was a guardian and he’s basically the same.

unpopular take but I’m getting sick of Crow’s poo poo. maybe people don’t like you because of your Mysterious Evil Past or maybe it’s because you won’t stop mouthing off to or being overly familiar with people you barely know and have been doing this for thousands of times longer than you’ve been re-alive, buddy

also, and this is more of a writing issue than anything else, but there is no loving way he couldn’t have put things together by this point. The guy was risen wearing a cloak/wrap covered in the same symbol as Mara and Petra’s badges and iirc it’s still in his harbinger jack shack, he hasn’t made any connection there? He hasn’t seen the picture in the ramen joint and asked about it? Hasn’t seen the memorial stone in front of Zavala? Hasn’t seen the random chicken in the tower? Hasn’t seen the cloak hanging next to the workstation of the chick he’s trying to smash? There’s dialogue after a battlegrounds where Amanda says she’ll tell him about Cayde over drinks, where did that go? No one said “this is for Cayde you bastard” while beating him up? Come on.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

yeah that part is really weak and bad

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there no internet in the Destiny universe?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Actually the idea of a guardian (crow) having to go undercover as his former life (Uldren) would be pretty fun assuming his death wasn’t galaxy broadcasted

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there no internet in the Destiny universe?

There are some funny lore entries about guardians complaining about Crucible balance on VanNet. Also, the lore text for Lucky Pants is Cayde interacting with a VanNet search engine AI.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don’t know why everyone is even trying to be coy about it either, instead of just telling him “in your former life you killed one of the vanguard, this is the thing people associate with your face when they act coldly to you.” he already knows people hate him because he did bad poo poo, there’s no reason to hide what the bad poo poo specifically was and I hope they aren’t trying to build this up to a big scene where he finds out as if this isn’t something he could easily figure out himself

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The Uldren stuff is happening because the writer watched too many WB teen dramas where every storyline is based on characters not telling each other things.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

E: also confused about that article - If Marty 'won' the case in 2014 how the gently caress were they able to semand he turn over all MotS stuff?

Court decisions aren’t winner take all. Without reading the original lawsuit I’m guessing this is what happened:

1. Marty sues Bungie alleging wrongful termination (some terms in an employment contract?)
2. Bungie countersues saying Marty has Bungie property (music he composed during employment)
3. Court finds in favor of Marty’s wrongful termination claim, Bungie must pay him
4. Court finds in favor of Bungie’s claim, Marty must turn over all Bungie property and not keep/distribute it
5. Oops, Marty can’t stay off the internet

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 17, 2021

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh hey Anna, how's Rasputin doing? Cool cool, your darkness wielding sister still teaching guardians? Love the ID badge for your family's hidden base on Europa. Cool, well you keep at it, you funky lil bean.

Wasn’t she basically exiled for this, though?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I don’t know why everyone is even trying to be coy about it either, instead of just telling him “in your former life you killed one of the vanguard, this is the thing people associate with your face when they act coldly to you.” he already knows people hate him because he did bad poo poo, there’s no reason to hide what the bad poo poo specifically was and I hope they aren’t trying to build this up to a big scene where he finds out as if this isn’t something he could easily figure out himself

This too. Yeah they’re Not Supposed To Know but this is a fairly extreme, unprecedented extenuating circumstance.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 17, 2021

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
The only way the 'not telling Uldren' thing pays off is when Savathun invariably tries to corrupt him he just goes 'oh the player guardian told me a while ago, we've just been playing dumb and waiting for you to be a dick so we get an excuse to end you'.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

life_source posted:

Yeah, those guys who do PvP as a job definitely don't know what is good and what isn't.

they do youtube as a job.

and I really don't see how a youtube video of a guy with really good aim running around and instantly 3-tap headshotting people to death (or 1 shotgun + 1 melee) is proof of any class being op when you can do the same thing with a random white handcannon/shotgun out of collections and no class abilities

like 5% of the kills in that video are actually secured by the class bonuses, the rest are just general fps skills where the class doesn't really matter

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 17, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Only as long as it was convenient for backstory. Then she asks you to save a copy of some data on Mars and when Zavala pipes up with his "imma hold you responsible if something goes wrong" dad speech she just kinda bats her eyes and promises she'll be a good girl.

Destiny is a soap opera, there's never repercussions unless a voice actor becomes unavailable.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Oh, regarding shotgun talk, is either slug or pellet considered more useful? In PvE I had a slug one and kept forgetting that it wasn't as good close up when I got surrounded by mobs. I mostly mean for PvP

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I'm guessing the Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls crowd is so adamant about it because they want a Risen's loyalty to be with the Traveler/Vanguard instead of anyone from their previous life. We kinda see this borne out in the Ager's Scepter exotic quest where Mara says she had a plan that would give her Uldren Sov, the Lightbearer under her control, but certain people didn't stick to it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

a pale ghost posted:

Oh, regarding shotgun talk, is either slug or pellet considered more useful? In PvE I had a slug one and kept forgetting that it wasn't as good close up when I got surrounded by mobs. I mostly mean for PvP
It's not as omnipresent as it used to be, but Felwinter's Crutch is still the go-to shotgun for pvp. You can buy it from the monument of light.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The main difference between slug and pellet shotguns is pellet shotguns don't require precision accuracy to one hit kill. But the spread on them means you have to get a little closer (which is why full choke is such a beloved perk, it tightens the spread).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah slug shotguns are only worth using in pvp if you're consistently getting headshots with them.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Around the season of (arrivals? The one just before Beyond Light anyway) one of the lore tabs ran through what everyone was doing as the ships arrived. Anna was downloading as much of Rasputin as she could before leaving, and there was a follow up lore tab where she was at the tower trying to work on Rasputin in an experimental exo body.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah slug shotguns are only worth using in pvp if you're consistently getting headshots with them.

I rarely wing my target before I die lol

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

So I've gotten back into destiny after a long time away and I see my Vault is filled with terrible guns that can't go above, what, 1100 light or so? Should I shard all of these or is there a possibility there's a good gun still there that I should keep?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

OneMoreTime posted:

So I've gotten back into destiny after a long time away and I see my Vault is filled with terrible guns that can't go above, what, 1100 light or so? Should I shard all of these or is there a possibility there's a good gun still there that I should keep?

If they can't go over 1100 they're probably in line to be sunset (check the expansion icon on the top left, if the triangle behind it is grey then they're set for sunset). I sharded most of mine, only kept a few for sentimental purposes (they'll be taking my godroll black armoury weapons from my cold dead hands). If you're using DIM they have a filter for them too: is:sunset

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Xur seems to have some real good armor this week

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

scoop up that bottom dollar from xur for sure, and the dire promise and main ingredient are great too

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
A lot of Y1 guns can be pulled from collections if you decide you really need a new one. Delete The Guns, Guardian

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Around the season of (arrivals? The one just before Beyond Light anyway) one of the lore tabs ran through what everyone was doing as the ships arrived. Anna was downloading as much of Rasputin as she could before leaving, and there was a follow up lore tab where she was at the tower trying to work on Rasputin in an experimental exo body.

I’m talking Warmind stuff, Zavala was not a fan of anything she was doing there at all until the pyramids/darkness forced his hand.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

OneMoreTime posted:

They're still usable in Crucible, in normal non-nightfall strikes, and in the freeroam open-world areas, which are all scaled down to lightlevel 1100 (the current minimum for any gear).

Basically keep any pvp rolled guns that you like but feel free to shard the pve ones since you can only use them in relatively easy content where rolls aren't a big deal.

e: I really wish DestinyItemManager had an option to tag my guns as "pvp" or "pve" rolls so I could quickly find stuff to swap to. All it really has is the full loadout system to swap all guns+armor at once which I have no interest in until I have way more gear.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 17, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

e: I really wish DestinyItemManager had an option to tag my guns as "pvp" or "pve" rolls so I could quickly find stuff to swap to.

You can use the notes field on items to get this behavior. Then in the search box run "notes:pvp" or whatever tag you dreamt up.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Reissue the Black Armory weapons, Bungie

Curated Kindled Orchid with Amethyst Veil is still the most stylish gun I own

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

xzzy posted:

You can use the notes field on items to get this behavior. Then in the search box run "notes:pvp" or whatever tag you dreamt up.

Oh that's neat!
I didn't realize the notes section was searchable

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

What makes a class good or bad in PvP? Their abilities?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Oh that's neat!
I didn't realize the notes section was searchable

It's weird but it's good it works. The tool should allow defining your own tags but obviously no one has been bugged enough to implement it.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Don't turn it back on.

https://twitter.com/bungiehelp/status/1438937853539459074?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

a pale ghost posted:

What makes a class good or bad in PvP? Their abilities?

It's all about how effectively they kill other players. Bungie is endlessly shifting the balance because they buff something, it gets super popular because it can kill a billion guardians, then nerf it and something else takes its place.

Some trees have "cancel supers" which are the types like nova bomb that blow the gently caress out of everyone in a given area. The others are "roamers" where you have some amount of time to run around inflicting pain. Cancel supers are the easiest to use and don't get modified by Bungie all that much. Roamers are changing all the time to tweak their survivability up or down. Whether something gets buffed or nerfed is almost exclusively based on the number of players using the subclass.