Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

mawarannahr posted:

I spent the last two hours on usaids website. I feel worse than when I read the climate thread.

based on the shared love of nonsense charts and this stuff I’m pretty sure Discendo works for USAID or something adjacent

They’re onto us. special thanks to Brown Moses

I’m going to throw up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
reading RFK jr's wikkkipedia page and lmao:

quote:

During the COVID-19 pandemic, Kennedy promoted multiple conspiracy theories related to COVID-19 including false claims both Anthony Fauci and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation are trying to profit off a vaccine,[210][211][212] and suggesting that Bill Gates would cut off access to money of people who do not get vaccinated, allowing them to starve

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

nut
Jul 30, 2019

mark immune posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

nut
Jul 30, 2019

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1438672243358306305?s=21

is it weird that when I saw this (vid is in the replies), I thought “why bother?” it felt like none of the other Tesla vids had consequences

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Toupee Groupie posted:

Why is it people like her and Helena Bonham Carter (all from conservative families) seem to become celebrities so easily in the UK, and very few people seem to notice or care. At least HBC is a decent actor. Also, Cara's mother and father are horrible TERFs, yet she never addresses those issues.

it's class

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

nut posted:

wasn't AOC recruited by some pac through an audition event? i feel like i'm making it up. Also, someone should point 2 PMJ's posts about AOC funding forever ago cuz they were good...

from Ryan Grim's "We've Got People". I've highlighted some of the more interesting bits

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

She scarcely says a sincere word, don't worry about it. Crowley ouster was very deliberate and allowed, made possible, by the historical situation. You'd think a grassroots organizer organic candidate nobody wouldn't have a Netflix crew tailing her going back to 2018, no? Lol

the way I parse that is that it's the same thing. the liquid cash output by the obfuscated blood money spigot intermixes with less-polluted and/or more-laundered funds and eventually flows down towards, among other forms of art, film students and similar nerds - other people enveloped, like aoc, in the whole professional liberal pipeline, at various levels of being failchildren. there are plenty of documentarians willing to film whatever and companies/rich people willing to fund them. taking "there was a netflix crew following a nobody" as proof that she wasn't a nobody is... survivorship bias, maybe, I might be misusing that phrase. what I'm trying to get across is that the wider situation being like this, where there are execs who think they can make a profit off a documentary of four congressional candidates in 2018, did not come about 'organically.' but you're never going to pull off aoc's mask to gasps from the scooby gang because she's not wearing a mask - she really looks like that, so to speak. I think that concluding aoc is a knowing agent misses the forest for the trees.

now, again, I must temper myself by saying that this distinction I'm melting down about has no effect, I think, on the results. ie. lmao aoc loving sucks, helicopters killing billionaires have done more good than she ever will, she freely chooses to do the bidding of noted blood money spigot maintainer nancy pelosi, etc. if I sound like I'm saying aoc isn't corralled or fenced in or controlled in a very real sense by the blood money spigot and the system that surrounds it, which includes the CIA, then I'm loving up. the arborist-system managing this forest does control it, it plants seeds that will grow into the types of tree-people it 'wants' - but the trees don't know that.

so if your narrative needs to have aoc, or anybody with power, be a secret moustache-twirling villain - to intentionally be contributing to the misery she says she decries - people won't buy it, because even the most horrible people convince themselves that they're doing the right thing with astonishing success. and that's not to say that aoc, or anyone else with power, isn't contributing to misery! obviously someone like nancy pelosi is an evil ghoul who deserves the gulag. but she doesn't think she's an evil ghoul - maybe she's done some bad things, but on the balance she thinks she's a force for good, a healthy tree who is an important part of our forest ecosystem!

if your rhetorical flourish allows for someone tearing up the floorboards to reveal the tell-tale heart, you're gonna stumble. because they're never gonna do that - they've convinced themselves that the beating they're actually hearing is the pipes or whatever. now, unlike in the poe story, this tell-tale heart is actually beating - we live in a greedy, cruel, genocidal and geocidal system and the hearts of the dead are deafening. but the system made up by their actions, that put the heart(s) there, is way bigger than any individual - individuals who sincerely believe that they're good despite the occasional bloodstain they find on themselves. yet you can't point dramatically at such a guilty system and say "it was YOU!" no matter how concrete the evidence, because it doesn't have its own distinct form to punish - which is the "forest for the trees" thing I'm trying to express. so maybe I shouldn't have transitioned to this analogy with a story about an individual committing murder, but oh well. we still gotta cut down a lot of trees as part of a radical new forestry system, don't get me wrong, but if you waste time trying to prove the trees were in on it from the start you might never catch the arborist.

god, all that imagery really got away from me. anyway, the thesis of this is I believe that in an important way you're right, and you're extremely not wrong, but nobody in our dying civilization actually knows what they're loving doing, and the road to hell we're speeding down is paved with good intentions, lol, lmao. thanks for reading my poast.

emptyquotes make me feel good

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
No I don't think of AOC as exceptional beyond her apparent CIA pedigree. You can't dismantle a "system" or a "force" or whatever. You attack the people that constitute it. You expose their crimes because you have a duty not to some GOOD PR but to the victims of those crimes. I am not interested in crafting the right message to win hearts and minds united against some platonic form that, by being a form, cannot be attacked - we need to hold them accountable. They are still alive. We can have justice for the women in the border camps, Bolivians, Palestinians, Met Gala protestors, shuttered businesses in her district, people made homeless, sick and injured and disabled who are going uncared for in this country and dying every day. Yes we can have justice today right now because she exists as a real person.

Edit: the men and children in the border camps as well. AOC framed the abuse around women so it's best to attack her there directly for abandoning those whose behalf she spoke on loudest.

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 03:15 on Sep 17, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
If she whoopsie-doopsie good intentioned her way into aiding and abetting the active harm being done to the global and domestic working class it does make one smidge gently caress of difference to me.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

"hold them accountable" is what I was trying to convey with "we still gotta cut down a lot of trees." and I tried to be pretty clear that the effects we experience are not different. it is still true that you shouldn't try to convict someone of murder if what they did was manslaughter, and you don't try to convict someone of being a cia agent when they're 'just' a regular criminal american politician

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm not trying to convict anyone. I am not at present judge, jury, nor executioner. The community decides what justice means, it is not up to me unless I have been invited by that community to do so.

"Convict" them of being a CIA agent? What do you mean? We shouldn't be trying to convince people she is CIA? I haven't. I see a CIA pedigree and say so. So what? You're contradicting yourself - you say it's immaterial on the one hand what her intentions/background are (we agree here) and then it suddenly is material when it comes to people thinking she may be CIA.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

nut posted:

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1438672243358306305?s=21

is it weird that when I saw this (vid is in the replies), I thought “why bother?” it felt like none of the other Tesla vids had consequences

Using Teslas to kill their drivers seems like the kind of thing that the CIA would find very convenient.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/chidaboomer/status/1438551228888326147?s=19
lol

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

emptyquotes make me feel good

you deserve it op, you are a drat good poster of posts

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

Using Teslas to kill their drivers seems like the kind of thing that the CIA would find very convenient.

I deffo think that a lithium fire coffin to carry out some ops is the sort of maniacally idiotic-but-they-think-it-is-genius CIA stuff

the assistant in the clandestine operations desk goes "so Tesla cars loving suck and can randomly get people killed in increasingly dumbass moronic ways, boss" and the other guy goes "excellent, just as planned. Please inform mr Steve Jail that CONTRAPTION is ready to go whenever needed"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the CIA can already kill you using non-Tesla cars

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

the CIA can already kill you using non-Tesla cars

sure but not as funny in the "so we hacked the car to kill the guy but he crashed on a schoolbus and there is now a lithium fire and a truck swerved into it and also that was on the lincoln tunnel" way I am talking about

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The CIA is covering up the video because they own Tesla stocks clearly

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Tesla crashing endangers the whole US economy at this point.

edit: I mean Tesla the company. A Tesla car is probably crashing right now. It's the one thing they're good at.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.corbettreport.com/episode-407-false-flags-the-secret-history-of-al-qaeda-part-1-origin-story/

The Corbett Report is doing a multi-part series on Al-Qaeda and Osama bin Laden and how the CIA has been harboring terrorists for decades. This has a lot of overlap with Management of Savagery if you've ever read that book, but I found this to be a good high-level view of the events leading up to 9/11 in a relatively short and digestible tale.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Impressive analysis I've found of the money trail involving 9/11. Can't exactly peer review the guy but if he's on the level very compelling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_fp5kaVYhk
Another video I watched recently though can't remember the link sadly, a flight attendant going through and voicing suspicions about the recorded calls from the planes. Her hypothesis was pretty compelling. They got the planes into a hangar and their cover story they fed them was a war games exercise. They'd take a few off the plane. and have them go through a script in an office. A few notes from the vid that raised her eyebrows:
-air force veteran remarking that they were over ohio during a call 3 minutes away from impact in one of the towers
-a man in his 20s referring to a flight attendant as an air hostess
-the inconceivability that flight attendants would be on the line for 20+ minutes chatting in an active hostage situation
-total lack of any background conversations or passengers pausing to communicate with eachother
-a flight attendant erroneously stating one of the hijackers was upstairs, multiple levels not existing in the plane she was on

nut
Jul 30, 2019

a thread 2 start ur day

https://twitter.com/gumby4christ/status/1438610749509668873?s=20

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

:sickos:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This is interesting in particular for the implication of disorganization here. If AMI was just a front run by the same powerful people, why they wouldn’t need to anthrax the building to destroy the records, fires happen all the time.

But if AMI’s larger affiliates were not cooperating with the anthrax doers, then that would certainly make sense that you might need to use such aggressive measures.

The anthrax thing is possibly the most blatant op in usa history yet already feels lost to history.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

oh my god

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The CIA just released their analysis of the Occupy Movement
https://twitter.com/mollycrabapple/status/1438702897391353857?s=20

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

just dropping this here so i don't forget about it later....

seattle's 2 mayoral candidates were both on city council when our pedophile then-mayor ed murray had numerous (at least 5) allegations come out that he sexually abused them as young boys/teenagers. one of the candidates, lorena gonzalez (a pretty milquetoast labor liberal, but better than most on council), called on him to decline early on and was one of the first to do so with kshama sawant. the other, bruce harrell (one of the few recent black electeds in seattle) defended him up until the day he (ed murray) resigned, saying the below.

https://crosscut.com/2017/07/resign-mayor-murray-councilmember-mayoral-candidates

it's driving me crazy that this is not ever brought up in the race! the only instance i can find is an article from the other week by the local street newspaper (https://www.realchangenews.org/news/2021/09/08/after-defending-ed-murray-can-bruce-harrell-be-mayor-survivors)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Atrocious Joe posted:

The CIA just released their analysis of the Occupy Movement

:lol:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/0...silver-platter/

The FBI protected Nassar by sitting on the case lol.

Sometimes I think people formed hierarchal societies so that an elite could be supplied with endless amounts of children to molest and be shielded from parents and the community wanting to take a chunk out of them for it. The same Sherriff that blew off the reports happily holds a father back from beating Larry's rear end to a pulp.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

The CIA don't have to "hack" Teslas or any autonomous cars in the traditional sense--they all have remote links so they can be driven remotely by humans in sweatshops in the early days before the AI is good enough.

https://www.dhakatribune.com/business/2021/08/23/a-secret-weapon-for-self-driving-car-startups-humans

They can just have a guy log in the normal way.

quote:

In Las Vegas, startup Halo allows customers to summon a driverless car, which is driven by a remote human operator over fast, fifth-generation wireless networks operated by T-Mobile US Inc.

"Just a few years back, remote human assistance was a dirty little secret in this space," said Elliot Katz, co-founder of teleoperation firm Phantom Auto. "Virtually no one talked about it publicly because there was still this facade that these vehicles were just going to be able to drive autonomously, everywhere they need to go and do everything that a human driver would do."

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm not trying to convict anyone. I am not at present judge, jury, nor executioner. The community decides what justice means, it is not up to me unless I have been invited by that community to do so.

"Convict" them of being a CIA agent? What do you mean? We shouldn't be trying to convince people she is CIA? I haven't. I see a CIA pedigree and say so. So what? You're contradicting yourself - you say it's immaterial on the one hand what her intentions/background are (we agree here) and then it suddenly is material when it comes to people thinking she may be CIA.

the conditions that result from her sheepdogging do not change based on her intent, but leading people to that truth - that she is sheepdogging/counterproductive/whatever - is made more difficult if it's wrapped up in a framing that assigns ill intent when she doesn't have any. I think a mass movement will fizzle if the narrative providing it structure contradicts the self-deceptive placidity of human nature because people will notice the contradiction. that said, this distinction is admittedly pedantic because we're losing the class war regardless lmao, and I don't intend to upset you with pedantry when there's plenty to be upset about just waking up in the morning, so apologies if I have

dead gay comedy forums posted:

you deserve it op, you are a drat good poster of posts

I wonder if feeling validation from posting is healthy. well, whatever helps me through the day

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

eshock posted:

The CIA don't have to "hack" Teslas or any autonomous cars in the traditional sense--they all have remote links so they can be driven remotely by humans in sweatshops in the early days before the AI is good enough.

https://www.dhakatribune.com/business/2021/08/23/a-secret-weapon-for-self-driving-car-startups-humans

They can just have a guy log in the normal way.

I actually suspect Tesla doesn’t have a functioning system to do that because most of their systems aren’t that well functioning.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

https://twitter.com/RobertSkvarla/status/1438900668807499787?s=20

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

just dropping this here so i don't forget about it later....

seattle's 2 mayoral candidates were both on city council when our pedophile then-mayor ed murray had numerous (at least 5) allegations come out that he sexually abused them as young boys/teenagers. one of the candidates, lorena gonzalez (a pretty milquetoast labor liberal, but better than most on council), called on him to decline early on and was one of the first to do so with kshama sawant. the other, bruce harrell (one of the few recent black electeds in seattle) defended him up until the day he (ed murray) resigned, saying the below.

https://crosscut.com/2017/07/resign-mayor-murray-councilmember-mayoral-candidates

it's driving me crazy that this is not ever brought up in the race! the only instance i can find is an article from the other week by the local street newspaper (https://www.realchangenews.org/news/2021/09/08/after-defending-ed-murray-can-bruce-harrell-be-mayor-survivors)

i learned that bruce harrell is black today, whoa.

personally, i feel great about what i did 33 years ago, idk what's on bruce's mind.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

the conditions that result from her sheepdogging do not change based on her intent, but leading people to that truth - that she is sheepdogging/counterproductive/whatever - is made more difficult if it's wrapped up in a framing that assigns ill intent when she doesn't have any. I think a mass movement will fizzle if the narrative providing it structure contradicts the self-deceptive placidity of human nature because people will notice the contradiction. that said, this distinction is admittedly pedantic because we're losing the class war regardless lmao, and I don't intend to upset you with pedantry when there's plenty to be upset about just waking up in the morning, so apologies if I have

I wonder if feeling validation from posting is healthy. well, whatever helps me through the day

Oh I don't really get upset these days, life is too short. Only in fits and starts. And if I'm not chained to my boss' property I can relieve it readily, haha. But no no, you're fine. I understand what you're saying and I almost agree but I think allowing people to discover the possibility of ill intent does no harm. I'm also less inclined to handhold people than many here on the left, if someone wants to take some poo poo I say or share at face value it's not really my problem, if they want to be reactive rather than investigative and agnostic scientific it's not really my problem. I think everyone is just as capable as I or you at figuring what is of value, what informs, and what isn't or what doesn't. Let them notice the contradiction, it's fine by me, it would serve them well to think conspiratorially even if this instance happens not to be a conspiracy.

In terms of "assigns ill intent when she doesn't have any" actually you would be giving yourself opportunity to present ill-intention if you make a bold claim first. People will say, 'how do you substantiate this claim beyond the evidence which you've here presented, which I do not accept as sufficient?' Or, 'okay I agree that she may be CIA but if she is then she would have to do something which is beneficial to the CIA's aims'. So now you can say look here at Bolivia, look here at Israel, look here at Venezuela, look here at the border, look here in her district. Now you really can find justice! If they never can think of her as malign and only ever as well-intentioned or something near to that (agnosticism about her purported malintent, say) then they would say no no let's not hold her accountable for these things since after all the outcome doesn't match the intention (this is itself a long held debate in philosophy, intentionality and ethics, of course). You have to say that the intention is likely other than good, given preponderance of negative outcomes (at least), and to that end there are better and worse inroads.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

skooma512 posted:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/0...silver-platter/

The FBI protected Nassar by sitting on the case lol.

Sometimes I think people formed hierarchal societies so that an elite could be supplied with endless amounts of children to molest and be shielded from parents and the community wanting to take a chunk out of them for it. The same Sherriff that blew off the reports happily holds a father back from beating Larry's rear end to a pulp.

Atlantis was right about the demon monkeys & did nothing wrong.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Oh I don't really get upset these days, life is too short. Only in fits and starts. And if I'm not chained to my boss' property I can relieve it readily, haha. But no no, you're fine. I understand what you're saying and I almost agree but I think allowing people to discover the possibility of ill intent does no harm. I'm also less inclined to handhold people than many here on the left, if someone wants to take some poo poo I say or share at face value it's not really my problem, if they want to be reactive rather than investigative and agnostic scientific it's not really my problem. I think everyone is just as capable as I or you at figuring what is of value, what informs, and what isn't or what doesn't. Let them notice the contradiction, it's fine by me, it would serve them well to think conspiratorially even if this instance happens not to be a conspiracy.

In terms of "assigns ill intent when she doesn't have any" actually you would be giving yourself opportunity to present ill-intention if you make a bold claim first. People will say, 'how do you substantiate this claim beyond the evidence which you've here presented, which I do not accept as sufficient?' Or, 'okay I agree that she may be CIA but if she is then she would have to do something which is beneficial to the CIA's aims'. So now you can say look here at Bolivia, look here at Israel, look here at Venezuela, look here at the border, look here in her district. Now you really can find justice! If they never can think of her as malign and only ever as well-intentioned or something near to that (agnosticism about her purported malintent, say) then they would say no no let's not hold her accountable for these things since after all the outcome doesn't match the intention (this is itself a long held debate in philosophy, intentionality and ethics, of course). You have to say that the intention is likely other than good, given preponderance, and to that end there are better and worse inroads.

kind of tangentially but the conspiracies are there! I’m still reeling from my tour of the USAID website

https://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNABJ752.pdf

real humanitarian poo poo

they privatized the loving water!

nut
Jul 30, 2019

somebody privatized right in the town's only source of drinking water

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

listened to the first GSftEotW episode today and in addition to the content being horrifyingly compelling, I could listen to that voice all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx

there is, I think, a bigger danger involved with these kind of conspiratorial overinvestments.

Believing in an overarching will or plot behind every major world event is counterproductive. It is socially isolating and promotes feelings of mistrust and powerlessness. This is doubly the case for buying into things like labyrinthine versions of the 9/11 attacks. I am begging you all to consider how ridiculous it sounds to the uninitiated to point out minute details that you think seem suspicious as evidence that large parts of the attacks were literally manufactured.

Even if the theory maps 1:1 to the actual events (whatever the gently caress those were), they sound irrational because they are. Calling some of these minutiae circumstantial evidence is generous. Pedaling elaborate conspiracy theories about events obscures what actually happened as much or more than the mainstream narrative. There is no functional difference between saying "deep state interests set in motion the 9/11 attacks in order to enact their agenda" with or without "the pentagon was hit by a missile, jets were inside of a hanger, jets were remote controlled, controlled demolition, how could a passport survive?" Nevermind how many of those theories suggest a conspiracy orders of magnitude more complicated than something like kennedy assns--let alone any proven to exist--the details of how don't matter.

I think it's more likely that the CIA pays people to manufacture outlandish conspiracy theories than that some of them are true. I get that a lot of this thread is to feel good about knowledge, but still.