Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

nwin posted:

Setting up my stay-at-home wife with an IRA.

Eventually she will go back to work. Should I do traditional or roth?

If her current tax rate is zero why would you prefer to pay taxes later instead of now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
That's only if they are filing separately.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

nwin posted:

An IRA requires earned income, but I think a working spouse can contribute to a non-working spouses IRA (I'm not married and not a tax person, make sure you understand this before you do anything).

Traditional vs Roth is mostly a matter of your current income and taxes. I have a Roth since my work based retirement account is a non-Roth, so tax savings would be minimal by adding another "traditional" retirement account. If you are very high income / high tax, your decision might be different.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

drk posted:

If you are very high income / high tax, your decision might be different.

As respects IRAs, you don't really get much of a decision. Traditional is not an option at all if you are high income, and the vast majority of earners that qualify for Traditional IRA deduction will want to go Roth anyway.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

drk posted:

The easiest way is to put it all into LifeStrategy Moderate Growth Fund, which is a 60/40 fund, and is also split between domestic and international. If you want more, less, or no international exposure, you'll have to do the math yourself to determine how to split your funds. However, if you buy individual funds, you will need to rebalance them yourself (easy enough to do with a spreadsheet, but its more than zero work).

IRAs limits are based on calendar years, so Jan 1. The only small exception to that is that I believe you can contribute to a previous year's IRA up until tax day.

OK - last question - it was a bit tricky but I moved all 6k to: LifeStrategy Moderate Growth - New fund $6,000.0

is it OK to just set it and forget it for now - nothing else I need to be doing to it?

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Got a friend who has just retired and I wanted to send him some resources on budgeting and investing for retirees. As all of my reading on this subject has been for someone who is still working and saving, I haven't read much in the way of how a recent retiree should manage their assets.

Any have any good links I could share with him?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

everdave posted:

OK - last question - it was a bit tricky but I moved all 6k to: LifeStrategy Moderate Growth - New fund $6,000.0

is it OK to just set it and forget it for now - nothing else I need to be doing to it?

You're good! The greatest thing about those all-in-one funds is that they are self rebalancing. Asset allocations are ideally meant to be set and forget, or only slowly adjusted over time. A 60/40 split is a fairly classic balance between growth (from the stocks) and stability (from the bonds). If 5 or 10 years from now you decide you would like a little more, or a little less risk, you can shift into something with a different allocation.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Awesome thanks!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Banana Canada posted:

Got a friend who has just retired and I wanted to send him some resources on budgeting and investing for retirees. As all of my reading on this subject has been for someone who is still working and saving, I haven't read much in the way of how a recent retiree should manage their assets.

That's really going to depend on how old he is, how much money he has and how much money he needs to withdraw from investments each year. A very basic rule of thumb is that one should be able to spend 4% of their assets per year for a 30 year retirement with little risk of running out of money.

Asset allocation is its own question. Ideally retirees wont be in a very risky portfolio, but again - the numbers matter (if you have substantial assets, its easier to justify taking risk in retirement than if you dont).

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Note that the 4% rule (popularized by Bill Bengen) is to take 4% just the first year, and then that same amount adjusted for inflation every year thereafter. Probably a good idea to go lower than that if you're gonna be retired longer than 30 years though. And/or to go with the approach to add guardrails, so that yearly amount can't go over a certain % of your portfolio if the market tanks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

I read this at first as you were setting up your IRA to be your wife, and I was just like, I donno if you need to be that obsessed with long term retirement.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

I know about the 3-4% rule and could advise him on asset allocation to an extent but only if I pried into the details of his finances which I'd rather not do if I can instead send him some online resources he can read that would cover a variety of financial situations. That's what I'm hoping someone here could point me to if anyone has seen anything good.

I'm fairly certain that he's in a comfortable position financially given his long-time position and years of service. I think his only major ongoing expense is his medical insurance.

And while I'm on this topic, any opinions about retirees who have no intention of spending down their assets and are instead focused on growing a legacy? My thoughts have long been that if drawable assets vs expected annual drawdown is much greater than 34:1 (i.e. you are well below annually drawing even 3% of your assets) then I see no reason to switch away from near 100% equities assuming one does not panic sell during market crashes.

If a bear market period hits, then there's still enough to draw upon without the danger of running out of funds in retirement.
If markets continue to tread upwards, then one has engaged all their assets towards capturing that growth.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Duckman2008 posted:

I read this at first as you were setting up your IRA to be your wife, and I was just like, I donno if you need to be that obsessed with long term retirement.

Apparently you aren’t committed enough to your plan!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Banana Canada posted:

I know about the 3-4% rule and could advise him on asset allocation to an extent but only if I pried into the details of his finances which I'd rather not do if I can instead send him some online resources he can read that would cover a variety of financial situations. That's what I'm hoping someone here could point me to if anyone has seen anything good.

I wonder if this episode would be a good starting point. It’s a discussion of the 4% rule and gives an entry point to some other good episodes which in turn would lead to books and the like. https://rationalreminder.ca/podcast/164

The boglehead wiki might be a better dry entry point. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Withdrawal_methods

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Banana Canada posted:

The most comprehensive info on withdrawal strategies I'm aware of is here - https://earlyretirementnow.com/safe-withdrawal-rate-series/ - though if this person hates math this could be counterproductive.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Duckman2008 posted:

You just can't be too emotionally affected if you wake up one year and she decides to take half your assets. That's why it's good to have a bonds mistress on the side.

Edit: speelingk

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 19, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SpelledBackwards posted:

You just can't be too emotionally affected if you wanted up one year and she decides to take half your assets. That's why it's good to have a bonds mistress on the side

:five:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So my mother has asked my help with her retirement savings since my father passed away at the beginning of this year and he handled pretty much everything. It appears he handled it poorly though because they had pretty much everything in cash for the last 15 years and she knew that was bad so she opened up a Merrill Lynch account and transferred all her retirement funds there.

They charge her a 1% fee and provide flashy powerpoint decks with graphs about how certain they are she won't die before she runs out of money, but as far as I can tell that's about all the value they have.

I'm a retirement fund novice myself who has been throwing money into his 401K and my IRA on Vanguard with index retirement funds, but I'm trying to make sure my mom doesn't get screwed. She's already retired and has no income besides Social Security. A low-risk portfolio is what she wants and needs. She'll need normal withdrawals and probably will need to take a little extra out in the near future to pay for a small house project.

With that said, I've been getting some information from her the last few days and doing some initial research on the holdings seems to read to me that they are not performing as well as Vanguard retirement index funds that are coming up and they cost more in expenses like Management Fee's and Administrative Fees.

Can I get someone who knows this stuff better than me to verify that that is the case and I should be trying to get her to :sever: with ML and transfer all her stuff to Vanguard and throw it all into index funds?

The holdings with the highest shares, in order:
IIAXX (This is basically cash because my mom is still leery of investing everything)
TGLMX
PBDPX
PFBPX
BHYIX

Also, since she's already retired, what index funds would those be? For myself I selected the target retirement fund for when I'll retire, but I don't know which funds I would buy for someone already retired.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Get her to Vanguard. There exists a 2020 retirement fund.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

My biggest regret is not placing my money into the market when I was younger. Growing up poor and not being financially secure, I always had the mindset that I needed cash on hand incase of an emergency. I always felt that I was on the brink of losing my income or becoming homeless. It wasn't until years into my job that I realized that the job is pretty secure and I amassed a small nest egg. I didn't start placing money into the market until I was in my early 30s. I shudder at the thought of how I missed so many years compounding and growing it into something for my kids.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

obi_ant posted:

My biggest regret is not placing my money into the market when I was younger. Growing up poor and not being financially secure, I always had the mindset that I needed cash on hand incase of an emergency. I always felt that I was on the brink of losing my income or becoming homeless. It wasn't until years into my job that I realized that the job is pretty secure and I amassed a small nest egg. I didn't start placing money into the market until I was in my early 30s. I shudder at the thought of how I missed so many years compounding and growing it into something for my kids.

Same. I had some pretty well paid computer toucher internships in college and wasted money on stuff like a Roomba for my dorm room. I didn't start investing until well after college/grad school. :negative:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

SpartanIvy posted:

So my mother has asked my help with her retirement savings since my father passed away at the beginning of this year and he handled pretty much everything... she opened up a Merrill Lynch account and transferred all her retirement funds there.

They charge her a 1% fee and provide flashy powerpoint decks with graphs about how certain they are she won't die before she runs out of money, but as far as I can tell that's about all the value they have.

Can I get someone who knows this stuff better than me to verify that that is the case and I should be trying to get her to :sever: with ML and transfer all her stuff to Vanguard and throw it all into index funds?

The holdings with the highest shares, in order:

Let's look at your mom's situation is in ML's hands by comparing similar funds between ML's and Vanguard's. I'll compare in the order of the ML funds you listed:

IIAXX (This is basically cash because my mom is still leery of investing everything) - N/A, no comment
TGLMX - TCW Total Return Bond Fund Class I - 0.55%/0.49% Gross/Net Expense Ratio
PBDPX - Investment Grade Credit Bond I-2 - 0.62% Expense Ratio
PFBPX - PIMCO Intl Bond Fund (US Dollar-Hedged) I-2 - 0.60% Expense Ratio
BHYIX - BlackRock High Yield Bond Portfolio - 0.58% Expense Ratio

Now compare these to:
BND - Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund - 0.04% Expense Ratio
On all the timescales Fidelity offers (1-month, 3-month, 6-month, 1-year, 2-year, 5-year, 10-year), the only fund that doesn't show strong correlation to the others, and significantly outperforms beyond the difference in expense ratio, is BHYIX. However, if you start before the 2008 crash, BHYIX actually trails everyone else hard and never returns to previous highs. :shrug:

You know who whups everyone's rear end? BND, and for less than a tenth of the annual fee of anything ML used. Don't forget ML's 1% fee on top of that!

OGDanDogg posted:

Get her to Vanguard. There exists a 2020 retirement fund.

OGDanDogg is steering you better than ML ever did.
Vanguard Target Retirement 2020 Fund Investor Shares, or VTWNX, has a 0.13% Expense Ratio. Its composition is roughly:
38% Domestic bonds
14% Foreign bonds
28% Domestic stocks
19% Foreign stocks

Or, 47% stocks, 53% bonds, which is generally a fine allocation for retirement.
I'm not so versed in using bonds for passive income, so someone else might want to comment on that, but yeah, VTWNX seems like a great alternative to what your mom's currently got. Escape those higher fees ASAP.

:cheersbird:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
This is probably the wrong thread to bring up this topic, but I'm posting in the hopes that someone can point me towards the right thread(s). I have put a significant amount of money into number, and although number is real, and good, and my friend who surely will never betray me, I'm also thinking to do a little "investing" in accordance with Sam Vimes' Boots Theory. Basically I want to buy durable goods for daily use that are of sufficient quality that I should never need or want to replace them. As an example, I've got a couple of All-Clad stainless skillets and, other than the fact that their handle design is bullshit, they're great pans and unless I grossly abuse them they ought to last me forever. I'm looking for more similar things for other housewares, or anything else that you can think of - basically anything that lets me pay once, even for a high price, so that I don't have to think about paying that price again.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Space Fish posted:

Let's look at your mom's situation is in ML's hands by comparing similar funds between ML's and Vanguard's. I'll compare in the order of the ML funds you listed:

IIAXX (This is basically cash because my mom is still leery of investing everything) - N/A, no comment
TGLMX - TCW Total Return Bond Fund Class I - 0.55%/0.49% Gross/Net Expense Ratio
PBDPX - Investment Grade Credit Bond I-2 - 0.62% Expense Ratio
PFBPX - PIMCO Intl Bond Fund (US Dollar-Hedged) I-2 - 0.60% Expense Ratio
BHYIX - BlackRock High Yield Bond Portfolio - 0.58% Expense Ratio

Now compare these to:
BND - Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund - 0.04% Expense Ratio
On all the timescales Fidelity offers (1-month, 3-month, 6-month, 1-year, 2-year, 5-year, 10-year), the only fund that doesn't show strong correlation to the others, and significantly outperforms beyond the difference in expense ratio, is BHYIX. However, if you start before the 2008 crash, BHYIX actually trails everyone else hard and never returns to previous highs. :shrug:

You know who whups everyone's rear end? BND, and for less than a tenth of the annual fee of anything ML used. Don't forget ML's 1% fee on top of that!

OGDanDogg is steering you better than ML ever did.
Vanguard Target Retirement 2020 Fund Investor Shares, or VTWNX, has a 0.13% Expense Ratio. Its composition is roughly:
38% Domestic bonds
14% Foreign bonds
28% Domestic stocks
19% Foreign stocks

Or, 47% stocks, 53% bonds, which is generally a fine allocation for retirement.
I'm not so versed in using bonds for passive income, so someone else might want to comment on that, but yeah, VTWNX seems like a great alternative to what your mom's currently got. Escape those higher fees ASAP.

:cheersbird:
Thank you. These insights are what I was thinking and I appreciate you giving me some important areas to look at closer to build my case for Vanguard funds.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Kylaer posted:

This is probably the wrong thread to bring up this topic, but I'm posting in the hopes that someone can point me towards the right thread(s). I have put a significant amount of money into number, and although number is real, and good, and my friend who surely will never betray me, I'm also thinking to do a little "investing" in accordance with Sam Vimes' Boots Theory. Basically I want to buy durable goods for daily use that are of sufficient quality that I should never need or want to replace them. As an example, I've got a couple of All-Clad stainless skillets and, other than the fact that their handle design is bullshit, they're great pans and unless I grossly abuse them they ought to last me forever. I'm looking for more similar things for other housewares, or anything else that you can think of - basically anything that lets me pay once, even for a high price, so that I don't have to think about paying that price again.

I don't think there is really a thread for that. The most appropriate might be just in the general BFC chat thread. There is a Buy it for Life subreddit that is what you're looking for: https://www.reddit.com/r/BuyItForLife/

edit: There is this PYF thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3684302

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 19, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Note that it is customary to hand over 0.3% of your assets to the thread when you receive help.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

PM me for 0.2% advice

drk
Jan 16, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

Thank you. These insights are what I was thinking and I appreciate you giving me some important areas to look at closer to build my case for Vanguard funds.

You could also consider VTINX (Vanguard's Target Retirement Income fund), if capital preservation is a big concern. Its about 30% stocks and 70% fixed income (including a portion that is "inflation-protected").

Expense ratios really are a big thing, and it should be simple to calculate how much is being lost to fees for different types of investments. At $1M, 1% is $10k per year, every year (money which additionally does not have the opportunity to compound its returns each year).

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My favorite part of this thread is when it helps the parents not eat cat food.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

drk posted:

You could also consider VTINX (Vanguard's Target Retirement Income fund), if capital preservation is a big concern. Its about 30% stocks and 70% fixed income (including a portion that is "inflation-protected").

Expense ratios really are a big thing, and it should be simple to calculate how much is being lost to fees for different types of investments. At $1M, 1% is $10k per year, every year (money which additionally does not have the opportunity to compound its returns each year).
This looks like what she is looking for. According to Vanguards website all the target funds should have the same allocation as this fund within 7 years, so it's perfect for someone already retired.

cheese eats mouse posted:

My favorite part of this thread is when it helps the parents not eat cat food.
I'm incredibly fortunate that while my parents were bad with investing, they were frugal and socked away money for retirement. Combined with my dad passing away relatively early, the chance of my mom having to eat cat food is pretty low. However, I want to make sure her money outlasts her and just flipping through Merrill Lynches "wealth analysis" presentation I was like "This feels like it's running out faster than it should", and from reading this thread I was aware of them "double dipping" with expenses on top of the commission, so I figured it was no good.

withak posted:

Note that it is customary to hand over 0.3% of your assets to the thread when you receive help.

I'm wiring the money to Jeffrey as we speak

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Residency Evil posted:

Same. I had some pretty well paid computer toucher internships in college and wasted money on stuff like a Roomba for my dorm room. I didn't start investing until well after college/grad school. :negative:

My roomba sends me a tweet whenever it starts a cleaning job, money well spent imo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm just now learning about backdoor roth iras, my understanding is that if you're over the income limit for a roth ira then you can just contribute to a traditional ira instead and immediately roll over the contributions to the roth ira. Is that really all there is to it? Why does this exist?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I'm just now learning about backdoor roth iras, my understanding is that if you're over the income limit for a roth ira then you can just contribute to a traditional ira instead and immediately roll over the contributions to the roth ira. Is that really all there is to it? Why does this exist?

It's called a conversion instead of a rollover, but yeah. It wasn't originally intended to be a thing, but once it was found out... :shrug: politicians like rich people. That said, some loopholes could be closing next year if the recent proposals become law.

SpartanIvy posted:

This looks like what she is looking for. According to Vanguards website all the target funds should have the same allocation as this fund within 7 years, so it's perfect for someone already retired.

That's a quick and simple solution, and it may very well work for your mom, but I think some would disagree with such a bond-heavy portfolio even for someone who's already retired (especially since bonds aren't in the best place right now). But really, a lot of it depends on how long her investments are expected to last given how much she needs to draw down yearly to live comfortably, and how that compares to how long she needs/wants them to last.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

QuarkJets posted:

It is more complicated if you have an existing traditional IRA. That can be fixed, though, if you're able to zero the IRA's balance by transferring it carefully to other tax-advantaged accounts.

radialright
May 19, 2004
PINKU BENTO BOXU ^_^;;

Gazpacho posted:

That can be fixed, though, if you're able to zero the IRA's balance by transferring it carefully to other tax-advantaged accounts.

Ooh, I wish to subscribe to this newsletter. How would you do that?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
At a high level, traditional IRAs may contain amounts on which tax has been paid (a current non-deductible contribution or a prior basis) and amounts on which tax is deferred (a current deductible contribution and anything else). The amounts already taxed can be converted to a Roth IRA, and the rest can be transferred to a 401(k) or other qualified plan. When done correctly by Dec. 31, this results in "1" on Form 8606 Line 10 and no tax on the conversion.

You might not want to do this if the qualified plan has unfavorable fees or investment options, and you should consult a CPA for further details.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

So now that I'm starting to pay attention can someone tell me if I'm doing this wrong.

My irá currently holds
Pff 30%
Qqqm 30%
Nobl 30%

The ten percent is scattered between

Alaska airlines stock
USA
Qtum
Clou

For no reason other than I wanted to remember those funds and usually had left over money from investing in the other three.

Am I missing a type of fund? Or am I risking too much with those three? I also wanted some exposure to China, but I don't know if that's something I add in the irá or in a seperate non taxable account.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
There’s good reason to be leery of preferred shares. This video gets into why https://youtu.be/rRlkvFVTqvM

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

doingitwrong posted:

There’s good reason to be leery of preferred shares. This video gets into why https://youtu.be/rRlkvFVTqvM

Oh wow I didn't realize that. Does that apply to an etf as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Basic dummy question here, I’ve been meaning to put some money in an s&p index fund so when it dropped yesterday I finally took a look at my vanguard 401k and IRA to see if I could move some money into VOO or VFINX but neither account had them as an option.

What’s the best way to buy into VOO?