Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

2.7C by 2100 would be an unutterable triumph at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
things are really heating up

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Cloks posted:

things are really heating up

https://twitter.com/dailyposter/status/1438886768317591558?s=20

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

thank god we no longer have a cheeto in the white house. trust scie;ce.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

tiberion02 posted:

Reading the Climate Change thread over the past couple years, coming to the correct conclusion.

:farf:

The pile of rags at the end of the hall that we've been defecating into has always worked in the past and will always continue to.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Cold on a Cob posted:

gonna re-recommend oryx and crake if you want to read a feelgood story where someone actually does something to stop humanity from doing even more damage to the environment :unsmith:

although the book's a bit outdated, the neat thing about it is the solutions presented in it are totally viable with available technology, unlike silly sci fi poo poo like ccs on a mass scale

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Its a good video but you really need to do some heavy editing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Perry Mason Jar posted:

"You don't even notice them cause they're invisible to the naked eye! They are everywhere! Everywhere! They're in everything! You're breathing them in right now, probably. You're drinking them whenever you sip that water you have in your hand there! They're everywhere and they're invisible and they're making you fat and sterile and your kids autistic!!"
"It's been a long day for you huh, sport? Come on let's get you to bed. That's right, come with me. That's right. It's okay."

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

I wish I had some specific examples to show what I'm talking about, but has anyone noticed lib media starting to grab onto the idea that controlling methane emissions might be a loophole out of this? I've overheard a few bits and pieces of stories lately where the general gist is that methane is bad and impacts the climate more quickly, so all we have to do is limit methane output and that could free up enough of our carbon budget to dump decades more of CO2 into the air before we have to do anything!

I'm kinda wondering if this is why world leaders suddenly have a fixation on CH4.

I think it's because CH4 emissions have recently (in human caused climate change time scales meaning a vast ~10 years ago) started skyrocketing in addition to CO2. And like, you gotta have a story with a villain, and you can only have one villain at a time, and people are tired of the old one.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

somebody needs to show Bernie this thread.

https://twitter.com/berniesanders/status/1438899799248359426?s=21

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Hey Bernie, we fixed it

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Spime Wrangler posted:

i already regret bookmarking this thread

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

RIP Syndrome posted:

Hey Bernie, we fixed it

this just put the biggest grin on my face. it won't go away. it's starting to hurt. this is probably normal

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

this just put the biggest grin on my face. it won't go away. it's starting to hurt. this is probably normal

i'm seriously still laughing about the lanternflies. it finally happened, ive been Jokerfied. lol. lmao

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

RIP Syndrome posted:

Hey Bernie, we fixed it

😞

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If there is any justice in this world they will all be dead, maybe, I dunno.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
if there's any justice in this world, they WON'T be dead, and they'll get to see and experience everything

but it won't happen, they'll all die happy and wealthy

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's why I am ambivalent about it, but they'd probably be insulated from the suffering that they are responsible for even if they did live that long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdCB9yE9Hcc

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
"To the pain" means the first thing you lose will be your

old thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884239&userid=106190
penis

Epitope has issued a correction as of 22:01 on Apr 27, 2023

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

We're so hosed, it's not even not funny

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

from the future: biden administration just declared that scientific proof of imminent biosphere collapse “does not present sufficient evidence” to halt the government’s plan to vastly expand offshore drilling

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We're going to go from "It's too early and we're not sure" to "It's too late and we should just keep going and enjoy" with no middle that is "Now is the time to do something"

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Please don't disturb my hedonic pleasure sesh or else I won't be able to put 30 different flavors of ice cream in my industrial freezers.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Tekne posted:

from the future: biden administration just declared that scientific proof of imminent biosphere collapse “does not present sufficient evidence” to halt the government’s plan to vastly expand offshore drilling

It’s literal newspeak lol

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Lostconfused posted:

That's why I am ambivalent about it, but they'd probably be insulated from the suffering that they are responsible for even if they did live that long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdCB9yE9Hcc

some of them, mostly the techbro-adjacent crowd, would be willing to make sacrifices to live that long, even if it meant consuming incredible quantities of resources and their existence being more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBVCi0PmW24

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

ECONOMY increased by 50%

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

skooma512 posted:

We're going to go from "It's too early and we're not sure" to "It's too late and we should just keep going and enjoy" with no middle that is "Now is the time to do something"
“this is our extermination day” *crowd cheers/rousing music plays*

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

skooma512 posted:

yes that was the whole plan with exxon suppressing climate research for the 30 years or so where doing things would have mattered

although aside from the posters ITT not sure how many will enjoy being unceremoniously dumped into a mass grave, but we'll get to find out together!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

how hot does it need to get for a runaway +8C bonus? :killing:

j/k that’s a cool emoticon

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Hi new thread

Bye new thread, I'll see you later when I need a pick me up

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
im crack pinging so hard

lol I love whoever bought that banner rn

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Wakko posted:

yes that was the whole plan with exxon suppressing climate research for the 30 years or so where doing things would have mattered

although aside from the posters ITT not sure how many will enjoy being unceremoniously dumped into a mass grave, but we'll get to find out together!

Bold of you to assume anyone is going to collect our corpses

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
can someone please explain the nature abhors a dome joke because the youtube link doesn't work in europe

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It's a 2.5 hours soliloquy about learning to love the bomb dome destruction of the earth and humans

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

IAMKOREA posted:

can someone please explain the nature abhors a dome joke because the youtube link doesn't work in europe

Here is a SoundCloud link. You're not missing anything without the video mostly.

https://soundcloud.com/objectivity-is-extinct/natureabhorsadome

Lmao Fox is in high alert blocking this thing for probably Simpsons memes.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/shrimpinmyeyes/status/1438888231324553216

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

silicone thrills posted:

I started reading New York 2140 by KSR and I realized that he actually seems to legitimately think the markets can be a positive force and its very disconcerting. I'm only about 20% in tho so ill let yall know if that changes but it feels like its going that direction again.

There is some nationalization involved, but remember this novel is set in a world where mass-scale carbon capture and sequestration is something that is feasible.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

IAMKOREA posted:

It's someone talking about the old thread for two and a half hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
and it basically boils down to this