Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
The grille growing is entirely the problem though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AirRaid posted:

The grille growing is entirely the problem though.

It's definitely a brain parasite like the one that makes you love cats. Soon people will be diving in front of them at highway speeds so it can reproduce.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Holy cow I can't believe how inaccurate the promo shots are for Dravit Grey. I saw one in person and it is like a flat matte grey that sparkles with gold in the sunlight

I'm thoroughly sold.

Probably just going with a black interior since I just want the basic perforated leather and the options are crappy there. The red and cognac look nice but it turns WAY too much of the cabin into solid blocks of color

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Edit: Never mind I'm dumb.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Holy cow I can't believe how inaccurate the promo shots are for Dravit Grey. I saw one in person and it is like a flat matte grey that sparkles with gold in the sunlight

I'm thoroughly sold.

Probably just going with a black interior since I just want the basic perforated leather and the options are crappy there. The red and cognac look nice but it turns WAY too much of the cabin into solid blocks of color

Dravit grey is the best color on the M340i. I compulsively order my cars in some shade of blue but Dravit almost got me. If I had to do it all over again, I'm not sure I'd make the same decision.

Portimao is also a fantastic color and a huge improvement over Estoril Blue and Imperial Blue on the F30.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm thoroughly sold.

i thought there was a version of the red that only included seats / door inners and then a version of the red that is a lot more red but you probably know better than me

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm thoroughly sold.

the promo shots are very very 'off' , and that could be a good thing depending on what you are looking for in the color

on the website / dealer pictures dravit looked almost like a dark green to me, and of course it is nothing like that in person... but yeah it's very flat but when the sun hits it you'll see all sorts of sparkly poo poo

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dropped my car off for the breakin service today and oh - turns out they don't have the diff fluid and no dealers on the east coast do either. And also BMW won't let them use any third party fluids even if they match their specs. No ETA - could be a few days could be a month. So I have to keep my car under 1800 miles until that comes in. The service guy talked to his warranty advisor and they said it's been documented and if I go over the 1800 miles my warranty will still be honored but LOL I don't believe that for a loving second.

Also BMW will void my warranty if I take it to a third party shop and have them do it. Good job BMW.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

Dropped my car off for the breakin service today and oh - turns out they don't have the diff fluid and no dealers on the east coast do either. And also BMW won't let them use any third party fluids even if they match their specs. No ETA - could be a few days could be a month. So I have to keep my car under 1800 miles until that comes in. The service guy talked to his warranty advisor and they said it's been documented and if I go over the 1800 miles my warranty will still be honored but LOL I don't believe that for a loving second.

Also BMW will void my warranty if I take it to a third party shop and have them do it. Good job BMW.
What a quick way to end someone's honeymoon period when they've just bought a new car :stonklol:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Jesus loving christ way to gently caress over your most enthusiastic (and monied) customers yikes

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I took out the Aston thinking I would drive that instead and whoops immediate CEL because of course.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’ve discovered the most first world problem of all time

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Welp the M3 hood liner had several pounds of dog food stashed in it and found two 'nests' in the trunk. Half filled the small shop vac and now there are eight traps set in and around the car. Feel so bad for not driving it enough and letting the mice get to it. If my energy holds up over the weekend we're going to check everything over, change fluids (not mouse related) and get it out on the road.

Old cars are great and fun :smithicide:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

POWER
BEAUTY
SOUL

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
And here I was thinking a bit of a creaky driver's seat was irritating.

On that subject though, my drivers seat on my F33 420i creaks under vertical load, usually speedbumps/really lovely roads, of which there are a lot here, will cause it. I don't think it's the hinge mechanism because it happens when I dont have weight on the seat back. I've done a bunch of googling it seems to be a fairly common issue? A lot of forums posts about "just oil/grease the mechanism", but I'm not really sure a) what bits are the issue and b) what I can even reach with oil without getting it all over the nice red leather.

Anyone had to deal with something similar can give some pointers here?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KillHour posted:

Woooof. My friend that is the service manager at the local BMW dealership told me how they had a leased/loaded up X7 in for brakes, but BMW had none in stock. They are back ordered with no date for when they will be available. So the customer is driving some pleb spec loaner car instead of their massive loaded 7 series SUV and paying for it. The pads are OEM'd through Brembo and the pads are technically available but BMW said "No, you cannot put those pads on it"; so he has gone back and forth with BMW NA to be say, well are you going to comp them for the MONTHS they are going to be without their car? What is your plan? No plan. No recourse. Totally poor experience for someone that is leasing your lux hugemobile - the most ideal buyer of all time.

The dealership installed the Brembo pads and will have the car come back and put the BMW pads on when actually available. He has told me they are out of a lot of parts like that - the consumables that you literally print money with. It has to be maddening. Seeing how California now has 61 container ships sitting idle in the bay the new normal is not changing any time soon.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Data Graham posted:

POWER
BEAUTY
SOUL

:perfect:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

POWER
BEAUTY
SOUL

:argh:

It ended up being the evap recirc system low code that tends to happen when you forget to close the cap all the way so I cleared it and I'm hoping it doesn't come back

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ya, I went through this with a 335D MSport some years ago. I ended up rotating through different loaners for 6 months until they were able to get the diesel specific poo poo in from Germany.

Never again

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I've had my m2 at the dealer a few times and never got a loaner and had an extremely poor experience overall each time, customer service is dead.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I haven't interacted with the dealer in 2021, but my 2019 and 2020 interactions were great. Nice 5 series loaner while they were servicing my M2c

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That will learn you reprobates for buying the terrible bmw vehicles x

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Hopefully checking out a local 2001 E39 540i with a 6-speed manual tonight or tomorrow. 139k miles, unsure about maintenance. No accidents, trying to get more pics but it looks like it has the M-Sport wheels so hoping it has the actual package. Color is silver and the price appears to be pretty low at just under $6k in southern California.

Never owned a BMW but I hear the E39 is well regarded, looking over some buyers guides but does anyone have any tips on what to especially look out for, like the timing chain guides? Should I just avoid it like the plague? It would be a weekend/evening car and I do have time and money to put into it but maybe it's not worth it with that many miles?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

A bunch of LCI M340i pics have surfaced from a supplier. This is the new grille. The cutout is for the ACC radar and front parking camera combo unit.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

That’s cool it grew a mustache.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Voltage posted:

I've had my m2 at the dealer a few times and never got a loaner and had an extremely poor experience overall each time, customer service is dead.

It unfortunately varies greatly from dealer to dealer.

The one i went to in texas was pretty terrible and they would occasionally pay for a rental car for you to drive.

When I was in DC the dealership in Silverstone was amazing and when I dropped my car off to get the oil changed or something they opened a huge thing full of keys and said I could take anything at a 5 series level or lower I wanted, and to just bring it back in the next few days.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Mr. Apollo posted:

A bunch of LCI M340i pics have surfaced from a supplier. This is the new grille. The cutout is for the ACC radar and front parking camera combo unit.

It looks like a Skoda grille. Just straigthen out the bottom part.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I’m in the UK. Just passed my car driving test.

So then I went to the BMW showroom in Stirling and test drove the 2021 330e petrol electric hybrid. Loved it.

How’s the 530e driving wise? Does it feel as good?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You're supposed to get a 15 year old Skoda with a missing passenger side mirror as your first car.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

:allears:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Goons are almost always age 33 to 37 so homeboy is just a late license getter

I got a 530e loaner for a couple days once. It's big! I wouldn't enjoy such a big car, but it was certainly luxurious.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I’m 36. Insuring the car won’t be an issue.

Bit too big, the 530e then? Hmmm. Will have a test ride and a think.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

We all know you're an old man on your big fluffy couch you call a motorbike. The road to car nirvana has an order to things, damnit!

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Steakandchips posted:

I’m 36. Insuring the car won’t be an issue.

Bit too big, the 530e then? Hmmm. Will have a test ride and a think.

The 5-series is in a weird no man's land, no? Bigger than a sporty sedan needs to be (3-series), not nearly as luxe as a 7-series, which is not a whole lot bigger. Why not do the 330e?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Why is there such an order?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

got off on a technicality posted:

The 5-series is in a weird no man's land, no? Bigger than a sporty sedan needs to be (3-series), not nearly as luxe as a 7-series, which is not a whole lot bigger. Why not do the 330e?

I’ll likely go for the 330e. Was just thinking the rear passenger comfort in the 5 might be worth it. Might.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The 530 is slow and wallowy and not all that nice inside unless you tick all the boxes. Reminds me of an old Pontiac. But maybe that's your thing.

If you want something even remotely engaging to drive and a BMW badge, you want a 3er. If you want something comfortable and competent and German and very numb you want an Audi.

Steakandchips posted:

Why is there such an order?

You have to have a pile of poo poo with no redeeming qualities that you still love because it's yours at least once in your life.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 22, 2021

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I think based on your bike tastes you want a Mustang Mach-E (if they even are selling them in weird america) nostalgic americana but electric/hybrid/responsible whatever

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Coolnezzz posted:

Hopefully checking out a local 2001 E39 540i with a 6-speed manual tonight or tomorrow. 139k miles, unsure about maintenance. No accidents, trying to get more pics but it looks like it has the M-Sport wheels so hoping it has the actual package. Color is silver and the price appears to be pretty low at just under $6k in southern California.

Never owned a BMW but I hear the E39 is well regarded, looking over some buyers guides but does anyone have any tips on what to especially look out for, like the timing chain guides? Should I just avoid it like the plague? It would be a weekend/evening car and I do have time and money to put into it but maybe it's not worth it with that many miles?

I passed on this because the seller refused to communicate clearly and also had absolutely no maintenance history. Sorry BMW thread, no horror story this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Did the Ultimate Driving Event in LA today. The half day car handling clinic deal, M3/M4.
Three different stations, hard braking practice (at different speeds, straight and turning), emergency lane change/obstacle avoidance, and a short autox course (this was with the M4, the others were M3s).

Hot as balls, but a fun event. The braking practice was pretty easy, good to get used to the cars. I did that first. You always know that speed leads to longer braking times, but doing it back to back in a repeated way really hits it home. Did that first.

The lance change thing was fun (I did it last, wish I did it before the autox). Started at 30 and ramped to 60/65 (if they let you). My first attempt at 60 I took out a whole line of cones, got some good coaching and absolutely nailed my last run at 65. Happens real fast speed, basically full throttle, lift off and turn the wheel as fast as you can around and back and hard on the brakes.

The autoX, that was both fun and a learning experience. Two practice runs and two timed runs. Swap drivers between each. My first timed run (basically 1 3/4 laps) he didn’t remind me to hit the stop box until I was turning past it. Oops. Got good coaching through my second practice run. Third practice run put up the fourth fastest time of the day (I’m a big goon, the three fastest guys were all a foot shorter than me and less than half my mass, don’t judge). Then things got spicy. The other driver who I was swapping with came off her first time run. As she’s opening the door and talking to the coach, now I didn’t catch all of it but it was something like, “you know when you are masturbating and you are coming really hard and you just keep going and you don’t want it to stop, it was kind of like that I love this car, no really like when you are masturbating you know what I’m talking about right.” Yeah, 20 something platinum blond from Beverly Hills meets middle aged midwestern driving instructor. His brain just about fell out of his head. The M4s did have the carbon buckets with the crotch bump, so maybe it hit that nice gal in all the right places.

So I go for my final lap, the instructor is beet red and was basically ‘you know what you did wrong last time, you got a half second in the first corner and full one in the second you can make up good luck’ and yeah, I ate some cone on that run. I pull back in and he said ‘I told you what to do, but you know you could just do that instead.’ But I definitely learned a lot about car handling and staying focused today.