Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

I'm assuming it's Calders Son/Nephew/Grandson from his last comment to Rikke about "Oh, you don't see everything with your eye then" after she tells him his family has been extinguished.

I don’t have the book on me, but I’m pretty sure they refer to him as a ”half-son”. I’m guessing Calder had a son after his wife died. It could be Scale’s, but he was such a non-issue this trilogy that it probably doesn’t matter. Calder seems more likely since it was also mentioned that Clover was training the boy very briefly during the first book, and Scale doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who would appreciate Clover’s talents enough to send his kid to him for training

Edit: also makes sense that regardless of who’s kid he is, Calder would keep him hidden. Stour didn’t seem the type to allow potential challengers to his throne around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Hmm, I am not sure I agree with one of the takes:

I wouldn't say Leo comes out entirely on top at the end. Yes, he is regent. But he is a miserable crippled bastard (Glotka 2.0, now with a metal leg) who got outmaneuvered by Savine at the end. Even Orso gets a good shot in before his execution. Finree is clearly done with him as well after all that bullshit.

Savine honestly comes out much better except for the whole Orso being dead thing. Zuri being something weird was something I figured after it is said Glotka was the one who arranged for her to be around.

Also I honestly enjoyed Sulfur getting got, the fucker.

But yeah I was rooting for Orso to at least survive in exile but so much for that. Poor Tunny.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Eminent Domain posted:

Hmm, I am not sure I agree with one of the takes:

I wouldn't say Leo comes out entirely on top at the end. Yes, he is regent. But he is a miserable crippled bastard (Glotka 2.0, now with a metal leg) who got outmaneuvered by Savine at the end. Even Orso gets a good shot in before his execution. Finree is clearly done with him as well after all that bullshit.

One thing I noticed is Leo is kind of a proto-Glokta. Glokta was a miserable torturer for years, and it took a while for his heart to win over. He always said “pain doesn’t teach you to be compassionate, it just makes you try to avoid pain”.

We also see Leo effectively kill Gorst, who’s last words are “Do you believe in redemption?” To which Leo replies “gently caress off” and Gorst says “you’re still young, you’ll learn”.

So Leo may be a miserable misanthropic bastard, but he’s still young. He could see redemption decades from now Glokta-style.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Well, I'm not sure I liked this one too much, but I might change my opinion a bit when I've had some time to reflect on it.

I will say Vic's story arc was immensely satisfying to me.

Really, her throwing away the signet ring and finally going off to chase her dream was the perfect ending for her. I'm also glad someone finally went "no" to the whole mess of schemers and masterminds all making the "hard choices for the greater good". It something that often grates on me, because I very often don't buy it. It's usually presented as this simple moral calculus like the trolley problem, but that's an imaginary scenario where you control all the variables. In messy reality you don't actually know how things will or would have turned out. Not even Rikka can see the future perfectly all the time.

Speaking of, presenting her decision to hand over Orso as sad but necessary pragmatism was bullshit. Oh right, Leo is really going to invade the north? Like he even could right now? And if he was so dead set on it, he'd change his mind about it over this? Tell him to gently caress himself and smuggle Orso off to Sipani. It feels like the right thing to do because it is.

I suppose I might also be a little soured on Rikka from before that, because her victory over Calder seemed kinda unearned. The reader sees her scheme coming from miles away, but everyone else is caught by complete surprise? Then there's like a series of 5 POVs in row all saying how "wow, can't believe how great this plan is, everything is going perfectly, and wow, can't believe someone as smart as Calder messed up so bad at everything", and it's this conga line of utter humiliation for the antagonists that makes it seem just...too easy? Meanwhile in Adua, Vic & Gorst (RIP) are literally fighting tooth and nail against bad luck and circumstances. Oh, some good luck with fewer guards in the gatehouse you intended to barricade yourself in? Turns out the bar for the door is also missing, enjoy!

Some other thoughts...Zuri being Ishri I think a lot of people saw coming, but was I the only one who thought Selest would turn out to be Tolomei? The first time she meets Savine, she makes a comment that nothing could have kept her from attending this party, why, even if Bayaz had locked her up in the house of the maker she would still have a found a way to attend. Guess I got hung up on that too much, but it seemed like a cute hint at the time

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Crespolini posted:

Well, I'm not sure I liked this one too much, but I might change my opinion a bit when I've had some time to reflect on it.

I will say Vic's story arc was immensely satisfying to me.

I suppose I might also be a little soured on Rikka from before that, because her victory over Calder seemed kinda unearned. The reader sees her scheme coming from miles away, but everyone else is caught by complete surprise? Then there's like a series of 5 POVs in row all saying how "wow, can't believe how great this plan is, everything is going perfectly, and wow, can't believe someone as smart as Calder messed up so bad at everything", and it's this conga line of utter humiliation for the antagonists that makes it seem just...too easy? Meanwhile in Adua, Vic & Gorst (RIP) are literally fighting tooth and nail against bad luck and circumstances. Oh, some good luck with fewer guards in the gatehouse you intended to barricade yourself in? Turns out the bar for the door is also missing, enjoy!

Totally agree on this. Calder getting duped so easily goes against everything we've seen and been told about the character. You build him up as this canny counter to his brother and his son's impetuousness in the previous books, and then have him just get effortlessly crushed? And where the hell was Bayaz during all of this? His only response to losing his grip on both the North and the Union was a few veiled threats and sending Sulfur on a murder mission when the damage was already done? I mean, it kills all of the subtle menace that has been built up around the character.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Paddyo posted:

Totally agree on this. Calder getting duped so easily goes against everything we've seen and been told about the character. You build him up as this canny counter to his brother and his son's impetuousness in the previous books, and then have him just get effortlessly crushed? And where the hell was Bayaz during all of this? His only response to losing his grip on both the North and the Union was a few veiled threats and sending Sulfur on a murder mission when the damage was already done? I mean, it kills all of the subtle menace that has been built up around the character.

One thing to remember is that Calder is a canny schemer but the only reason he doesn't die half a dozen times in Heroes is Bayaz pulling the strings. He pays off Tenways and Stranger and the two other northmen who save Calder from his father in law trying to off him. Shivers is just a lucky accident because gently caress Dow.

I think he should have been more suspicious of what was going on but Rikke also had his son. And then executes Stout and drops the corpse at his feet.

Part of the issue with Bayaz is that all of his usual levers get ripped out by the Breakers. Sulfur is ol' reliable but he's only one Eater and everything is on fire. And the few times he tries multiple characters tell him to gently caress off.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Eminent Domain posted:

One thing to remember is that Calder is a canny schemer but the only reason he doesn't die half a dozen times in Heroes is Bayaz pulling the strings. He pays off Tenways and Stranger and the two other northmen who save Calder from his father in law trying to off him. Shivers is just a lucky accident because gently caress Dow.

I think he should have been more suspicious of what was going on but Rikke also had his son. And then executes Stout and drops the corpse at his feet.

Part of the issue with Bayaz is that all of his usual levers get ripped out by the Breakers. Sulfur is ol' reliable but he's only one Eater and everything is on fire. And the few times he tries multiple characters tell him to gently caress off.

That's a good point. You hear an awful lot about Calder being this big schemer, but he never actually does much of anything on his own in the previous books.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

During the book I thought Joe was sort of pulling a gendered thing with Savine and Rikke succeeding in resisting Bayaz where Jezal and Glokta had failed in the previous trilogy. That gets undone a bit though because Glokta does have his grand plan for uprooting Bayaz from the Union and Savine is just a part of that plan. So its more that there are a bunch of characters who have learned not to trust Bayaz and know what he's all about. Orso even announces it to the public during Savine's trial. Bayaz's part in the drama is a very very open secret by now and people are starting to do something about it. Heck, it makes Bayaz' plan to have Hildi inherit the Valint and Balk names seem silly. He should have her come onto the scene with a new name and unknown sources of capital. I assume Valint and Balk as a bank are still active in some area of the world, but not sure where. Styria? Wouldn't Monza and her Eater have chased them out? The Old Empire? Zacharius wouldn't allow it surely. The South?

Also, the bit with the bank vault being empty. Is that meant to be a jab at finance, that it's all fake, or that they smuggled all the paperwork out of the Union long ago and maybe the original debts and deeds and promissory notes and so forth are all held with Bayaz at the Great Northern Library? Because the issue is, if you're supposed to be a powerful magus but you can't actually use magic too often because its mostly leaked out of the world and you just lost all the paperwork proving you own stuff when your bank branches were burned, how do you actually exercise that power? Especially when a lot of your bank staff was also executed in purges and your right hand man was just killed?

Of course this sets up Bayaz getting desperate in a final trilogy and overusing the Seed and accidentally opening the doors to the demon world because he's been pushed to the brink.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Paddyo posted:

That's a good point. You hear an awful lot about Calder being this big schemer, but he never actually does much of anything on his own in the previous books.

Well, while it's true that Calders reputation might well be overblown, it's not like he has to be a genius here. Like, maybe consider the enemy might be pretending to be weaker than they are, maybe don't deathmarch your army, maybe wonder why your scouts don't return instead of walking blindly into an ambush by three (3!) other armies hidden around the battlefield. Bah. But I guess he did get the last laugh though, kinda.

Edit: And also, it's not really a complaint of tactical realism for me, it's that it wasn't (imo) very satisfying storywise. Just too smoothly sailed, and much too much praise heaped on them for it.

Crespolini fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 17, 2021

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
That pretty much sums up my feelings about the book. It just wasn't very satisfying story-wise.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
I’m almost halfway through TWOC and I’m pretty sure that Rikke falling out with the Nail and Isern is just a trick to lure Calder into a trap and/or reveal Corleth as a spy (I can’t actually remember what her backstory is).

As for Pike, I’m trying to work out what his angle is. Is he working to his own agenda, or is he carrying out some scheme of Glokta’s to break the power of Bayaz? There have been hints that the master plan is to break the seals between the worlds and bring Euz back…

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Ccs posted:

Also, the bit with the bank vault being empty. Is that meant to be a jab at finance, that it's all fake, or that they smuggled all the paperwork out of the Union long ago and maybe the original debts and deeds and promissory notes and so forth are all held with Bayaz at the Great Northern Library? Because the issue is, if you're supposed to be a powerful magus but you can't actually use magic too often because its mostly leaked out of the world and you just lost all the paperwork proving you own stuff when your bank branches were burned, how do you actually exercise that power? Especially when a lot of your bank staff was also executed in purges and your right hand man was just killed?

It almost seems like a Chekov's gun that never got fired. I was expecting them to find the seed or the divider and for the Great Change to REALLY go off the rails...

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Crespolini posted:

Edit: And also, it's not really a complaint of tactical realism for me, it's that it wasn't (imo) very satisfying storywise. Just too smoothly sailed, and much too much praise heaped on them for it.

I felt like this might be deliberate, story wise, to make Leo betraying Orso later on feel especially twisty. Everything seems to be going so well for the characters we care about. Rikke rebuffed her enemies that even had Bayaz' help, so we sort of suspect things could keep going well and then Leo succeeds in saving Savine and Orso and it's like "awesome, all the pieces are on the board to rebuff Bayaz both in the Union and in the North and for all our protagonists to remain alive and repair their fractured relationships. And then Leo stabs Forest and things go to hell.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

One thing I was half expecting to happen that didn't was Ninefingers showing up. Seemed like a long shot but there's a chapter in this book that ends with his name dropped, a few references to the spot where he "died" in the original trilogy, and one of the characters recalls being inspired by his tenacity as Lamb. He'd have to be pretty old by now but I wonder if he'll show up in the future, seeing as he's not confirmed dead yet.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I hope his story is done. He got a decent ending all things considered.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

One thing I was half expecting to happen that didn't was Ninefingers showing up. Seemed like a long shot but there's a chapter in this book that ends with his name dropped, a few references to the spot where he "died" in the original trilogy, and one of the characters recalls being inspired by his tenacity as Lamb. He'd have to be pretty old by now but I wonder if he'll show up in the future, seeing as he's not confirmed dead yet.

i was hoping for this but only slightly disappointed it didnt happen

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Crespolini posted:

I hope his story is done. He got a decent ending all things considered.

Yeah this. especially since most all of the old guard were in this trilogy to die. It was very Abercrombie, but if Logen showed up just to get iced by some rando I'd be kinda bummed.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

A thing about Calder getting tricked so easily, he wasn't really. Jonas Cloverfield was tricked, and because ultimately Calder was using him as a dowsing rod he thought if he struck before Rikke's reinforcements had come back it'd work out. The spy mattered as well, but if Cloverfield hadn't bought Rikke's deception then Calder wouldn't have imo.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

cloverfield lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tofu Injection posted:

Yeah this. especially since most all of the old guard were in this trilogy to die. It was very Abercrombie, but if Logen showed up just to get iced by some rando I'd be kinda bummed.

i was hoping he would just be around in the background or something. i miss him

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Man, what a waste of a pov with Orso. Why even have so many chapters with him if all he does is stay in a cage the entire book. Too bad too, him and clover were the only points of view I really enjoyed reading. Did any other books hide the intentions of the characters the way this book did? It felt like all the surprises came from external sources in those books. I guess clover betraying Stour in the last one, but that's still part of this trilogy I guess.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That is a criticism I agree with. Keeping so much from the reader. Rikkes whole POV only works because her whole plan is hidden from the reader. That’s not normally how the povs work in these books, usually we know what the character knows. Not so here, I’m not sure if I agree with that decision as far as consistency goes, but Joe kind of wrote himself into a corner here. It was either leave the reader in the dark or dispense with all suspense.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 19, 2021

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Ccs posted:

That is a criticism I agree with. Keeping so much from the reader. Rikkes whole POV only works because her whole plan is hidden from the reader. That’s not normally how the povs work in these books, usually we know what the character knows. Not so here, I’m not sure if I agree with that decision as far as consistency goes, but Joe kind of wrote himself into a corner here. It was either leave the reader in the dark or dispense with all suspense.

Leo's as well, but there were hints

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just finished it.

I felt it was by far the weakest of his First Law books but like pizza, even when it's bad it's good. For me, the best part of the book was the last chapter where Rikke had the vision. Bayaz bringing Juvens back from the dead? Sign me up.

Ccs posted:

Yeah, I saw that coming from a mile away and was definitely irked. Jim Butcher, author of The Dresden Files, has done that same poo poo in his recent books.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Hughmoris posted:

Just finished it.

Bayaz bringing Juvens back from the dead? Sign me up.

Bayaz wouldn't be doing that, given that he murdered Juvens and all. unless its an accident, but my guess is accidental or otherwise that was Glustrod

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Concerning Rikke's last vision, Euz was previously said to have left for somewhere, so if it's someone returning...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ccs posted:

Then again that was really bloody obvious from the start, at least to me. I almost sorta hoped it was a double fake out or something. Overall I think this was my least favorite trilogy so far, I don't really see myself wanting to reread it again like I did with the others.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tofu Injection posted:

Bayaz wouldn't be doing that, given that he murdered Juvens and all. unless its an accident, but my guess is accidental or otherwise that was Glustrod

If there's one guy I want back it's Kanedias. But that makes no more sense than Juvens. So likely Glustrod. But maybe Glustrod is not so bad as he was made out. I mean he did get poo poo on by his brothers and father and history is written by the winners, who are enormous C-words to a man.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Tofu Injection posted:

and beyond the door a figure rose from the seething sea, a figure made of blinding light, and his feet left smouldering footsteps in the shingle, and he spoke in thunder.

Great Father Khalul. Arch Priest of the Temple of Sarkant. Holiest of all whose feet touch the earth. Humbler of the proud, righter of wrongs, teller of truths. Light shines from him as it shines from the stars. When he speaks it is with the voice of God.

I doubt this is it, "I am returned" implies it's someone who's been away for a loooooong time and khalul has only recently disappeared
but I would like to finally "see" him, since he's never appeared in any of the TEN books

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

So, after a bit of marinating, here are my thoughts on the book. It was...ok, but for the whole trilogy Joe really fumbled the plot for the Union. His faux-French Revolution takes place over less than 2 years and skips over the juiciest bits. I can understand simplifying history but there was a poo poo ton of stuff that went on between 1789 and 1795/1799. Trying to cram it into that small of a time frame really didn't help things. And, honestly, it really feels like Joe doesn't like writing about the Union anymore, he stretched out a one book concept over three and kept repeating the same beats over and over.

I hate how Orzo died but he went out as himself, hating Hangings and gave Leo one last dig.

I do agree that the epilogue really felt like Joe was setting up the next Trilogy, just in a not so subtle way. Hopefully he writes stand alone books about non-Union characters in the interim.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The problem with the union is the more modern it becomes the less interesting it also becomes. Perhaps not really a spoiler that.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Doctor Jeep posted:

and beyond the door a figure rose from the seething sea, a figure made of blinding light, and his feet left smouldering footsteps in the shingle, and he spoke in thunder.

Great Father Khalul. Arch Priest of the Temple of Sarkant. Holiest of all whose feet touch the earth. Humbler of the proud, righter of wrongs, teller of truths. Light shines from him as it shines from the stars. When he speaks it is with the voice of God.

I doubt this is it, "I am returned" implies it's someone who's been away for a loooooong time and khalul has only recently disappeared
but I would like to finally "see" him, since he's never appeared in any of the TEN books

I really doubt it’s Khalul, he’s just a dude like Bayaz. The quote you’re reading from is from the perspective of a Gurkish worshipper, so yeah they obviously see him as pretty much God, but from what we know he’s just a Magi on par with Bayaz.

Glustrod makes the most sense, since he is humanity’s main antagonist. Euz seems a little too powerful to be a character.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I am pretty loving disappointed about Orso. I mean, I guess I should have seen it coming because it is sort of what the author does.

It is probably going to take me a long time to be willing to reread the trilogy because of it though.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

ZombieLenin posted:

I am pretty loving disappointed about Orso. I mean, I guess I should have seen it coming because it is sort of what the author does.

It is probably going to take me a long time to be willing to reread the trilogy because of it though.

It does sucks, but it was written in stone from the first time he talks about how he hates hangings.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

I’m mostly just irked because that whole story line and all that character development seems pointless given the way it ended. It seemed like the only point was to jerk around the reader.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Paddyo posted:

I’m mostly just irked because that whole story line and all that character development seems pointless given the way it ended. It seemed like the only point was to jerk around the reader.

It seemed perfectly in character for Abercrombie, tbh.

Also, I'm currently listening to / reading a biography of the Marquis de Lafayette...I've just hit the French revolution portion and it was pretty hilarious to see what beats Abercrombie picked up and what beats he ignored.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

ulmont posted:

Also, I'm currently listening to / reading a biography of the Marquis de Lafayette...I've just hit the French revolution portion and it was pretty hilarious to see what beats Abercrombie picked up and what beats he ignored.

Hero of Two Worlds by Mike Duncan? Just finished it myself. Great freaking read. What an epic badass. Kept expecting Leo to have the full Lafayette arc…

Paddyo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 19, 2021

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

ulmont posted:

You’re right, it absolutely is. I am still disappointed; for me this would be like GRRM killing off Tyrion.

That’s how much I was invested in that particular character.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

You’re right, it absolutely is. I am still disappointed; for me this would be like GRRM killing off Tyrion.

That’s how much I was invested in that particular character.

That was actually one of my nitpicks from this trilogy. it felt a lot like Abercrombie really went full Tyrion with Orso.

Clever indolent prince who turns out to be a brilliant politician and also has a heart of gold? A little too familiar after 8 seasons of GOT.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
the parallels never occurred to me but yeah now that you mention it it's obvious re orso:tyrion

i love the scene in book 2 so much where leo and orso both go meet jappo. leo is immediately thrown off by jappo's open homosexuality and hyper-hedonism, and when jappo tries the same act on orso he doesn't miss a beat. his casual indifference to debauchery becomes an asset when he's perhaps the only person on the planet that can truly relate to jappo's life experience and outlook