Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'll be playing Fireteam probably in a bit. Hop in the discord if you want!

The Last Call posted:

One fun fact, Paul Resier took his mother to the screening of Aliens and his character was so hated she clapped when he died.

That's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Technician on Horde Mode is flat baller. Set up the flame turret in that main hallway and it just smokes some bugs. Plus the added bonus that it pisses off the armored xenos so they don't flat bum rush you right away.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The Last Call posted:

Plus it knew what the self destruct meant and where it had to go to get to safety, namely the ship Ripley took. It even knew to hide from her at the start.

That's just the alien going to the only part of the ship that isn't all full of steam and sirens and flashing "ohhhh this is gonna blow the gently caress up" warning lights.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

The Last Call posted:

Rewatched the last two Alien movies and it made me wish they would capitalize on the fact that the Aliens know things due to their human host.

You got Kane's feelings for Lambert influencing the Alien to wanting to do.....something with her, hence why it uses it's tail to ahem, kill her.

Is there dialogue that implies this in the film? I thought Lambert and Parker were a thing, given some other dialogue and his heroic attempt to save her.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Parkingtigers posted:

That's just the alien going to the only part of the ship that isn't all full of steam and sirens and flashing "ohhhh this is gonna blow the gently caress up" warning lights.

No, it's that smart. Again, these are creatures that know how to cut the power because of what it does. They were written with the intention to have some "aspect" of their host in them. Not to say they could do everything a human did or knew everything a person did but they probably had a sense of what some things did or meant. It could have easily crawled in the deepest darkest hole of the refinery, it didn't. It chose that ship because of what it meant.

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there dialogue that implies this in the film? I thought Lambert and Parker were a thing, given some other dialogue and his heroic attempt to save her.

I can't remember where I read it, only I did read it. It might have been in the Making of Alien book which is an awesome look back over it's production and how the movie came together. But yes it was stated Kane had feelings for her and so the Alien behaved differently towards her. Not enough to save or help her or anything, just again that imprint of the host. That's why it reacts to her the way it does in the cut footage which they thought looked a bit silly so it got cut.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Paul Reiser is so drat amazing in that movie.

I can't be alone in thinking in Stranger Things he was gonna have a heel turn.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
What's great about Burke is he often comes across as someone who could actually be really an OK guy. When Gorman freezes he helps restrain him so Ripley can take over and mount a rescue, and then he's quick to grab a fire extinguisher when the APC gets flamed by Drake. Plus he seems genuinely supportive of Ripley at her initial hearing. There's just enough surface courage and decency that you can buy into him being just "a suit" before finding out how deep that hole of ratfuckery goes.

Paul Reiser is so, so loving good in this film.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Mister Speaker posted:

They certainly could've both had feelings for her. Hell, there's that one deleted scene where Ripley and Lambert find it odd that Ash hasn't tried to sleep with either of them.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

What's great about Burke is he often comes across as someone who could actually be really an OK guy. When Gorman freezes he helps restrain him so Ripley can take over and mount a rescue, and then he's quick to grab a fire extinguisher when the APC gets flamed by Drake. Plus he seems genuinely supportive of Ripley at her initial hearing. There's just enough surface courage and decency that you can buy into him being just "a suit" before finding out how deep that hole of ratfuckery goes.

Paul Reiser is so, so loving good in this film.

You're so drat right.

When he turns back to Ripley after they take over the APC and gives kinda like a quick little smile and really feels like part of the good guys.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I also submit "they cut the power" as the single scariest moment in any Alien movie.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
What do you mean they cut the power? How can they cut the power? They're just animals.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
do the deluxe bonuses justify the price of Alien Fireteam?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MacheteZombie posted:

Hicks’ shotgun is pretty sweet, so are the “classic” armors.

I bought the basic version at first but after I put like 20+ hours into the game I upgraded to the deluxe version to support the devs. I don’t regret my decision.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

I bought the deluxe version so I could get the season passes. I think the first DLC drops in November

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Any idea what they are doing for DLC?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Red Rox posted:

Any idea what they are doing for DLC?

If I had to guess (spoilers for the end of the base campaign) Wayland-Yutani mercs, planetside cleanup, more pathogen, and whatever that weird invisible cat is you know the stuff that was mentioned in the end dialogue. Probably a new mode, or at least new maps for horde mode. Although at the moment it really is anyone's guess.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
A horde map, but synthetics instead of xenos would be cool.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Just a PSA to any UK goons, that Vue cinemas are showing Alien and Aliens for the next 7 days, starting from today.

They’re alternating the showings daily, but depending upon the individual cinema there might be a day where you can see both as a double bill. Which for my local one is tomorrow.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mutant Headcrab posted:

A horde map, but synthetics instead of xenos would be cool.

I'll admit that I was bummed that I couldn't fight synths in horde mode

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I can't run Fireteam yet but the description seems like a replica of the just awesome multi-player level in avp2 when you and a bunch of friends hole up in a bunker with respawning weapons while aliens and preds pour down outside. That's my favorite LAN party memory ever and it seems a lot of people in this thread had that same experience.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
We used to do the same thing back in Perfect Dark on the N64. You could tailor the AI bots individually. So we set up a team of identical kamikaze bots that would just endlessly rush forward, and one extreme difficulty bot who would be clad in the white trenchcoat to give an occasional “oh gently caress” when he appeared. Our only hope was to make it to one of two rooms where we could turtle up and make a last stand defence, dropping down sentry guns if we were lucky to have found any. It was so, so good. The room would eventually be breached and then it took ages of panicked running around and dying to rest things up again.

We also did an ad-hoc Predator mode too in Goldeneye 64. We’d turn on invisibility, which lasts until you die the first time. One player would pick the oversized Jaws model, and the other three would all suicide to remove the invisibility. Then the three humans had to work together to try and hunt down the invisible Predator stalking them, and we’d track wins by the Pred’s kill count.

Basically I’m saying we made MP Aliens games before we had access to MP Aliens games.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Now I hope one of the DLCs includes a Predator, I hadn't even considered that until today :(

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I also submit "they cut the power" as the single scariest moment in any Alien movie.

Nah. Scariest moment for me is Newt and Ripley waking in medical. loving face huggers freak me the hell out. The various video games don't help with this.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ripley coming face to face with it in the doorway at the end of Alien, the way she shrinks back against the wall as its head comes through the steam.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Iron Crowned posted:

Now I hope one of the DLCs includes a Predator, I hadn't even considered that until today :(

It very likely won’t, for licensing reasons. It’s why there aren’t any Predators in the new tabletop RPG.

The Alien cameo out of nowhere in the Predator: Concrete Jungle videogame was fantastic though. That game really needs a sequel.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Got my 2nd jab today, and I’m worried I might need to take things easy the next day or two, so brought forward my Alien screening just to make sure I don’t miss it. I’ve got snacks, what looks to be the best chosen seat in the cinema, and 20 mins from now I’m going to be in big screen bliss.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Parkingtigers posted:

Just a PSA to any UK goons, that Vue cinemas are showing Alien and Aliens for the next 7 days, starting from today.

They’re alternating the showings daily, but depending upon the individual cinema there might be a day where you can see both as a double bill. Which for my local one is tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up, might pop along on Monday. Always wanted to see the OG on the big screen.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I can't play Horde Mode yet because I still haven't completed the campaign because I still haven't matched up with any real players; every time I've come home from work and fired the game up for an hour before bed it's either required an update (can't use network features while updating) or for some reason it simply won't find people in a lobby. I've turned off challenge cards and everything, this is really demoralizing. :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Play with goons! I’m happy to help you get through the campaign (provided you’re playing on PC).

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Same here, i've been in BW's discord for ages but as a side effect of being on like two dozen plus loving discord servers i habitually have everything muted except for @s, so feel free to @ me (same username) there if you're on it and want to shoot aleinz

same goes for anyone else too, shoot aleinz with gunes, it's fun :shobon:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm on PSN unfortunately, hoping they open things up for crossplay soon. Handle is zOPERATIONS. I don't know anything about Discord, I'm rarely on it, but my handle there is OPERATOR#4571 if you want to invite me to a server.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'll probably be playing again tonight and will also probably be hounding you guys at some point to play.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm in on the Discord, same handle as here.

I'm bad at this, so I'm stuck on only the third campaign mission. We're handling things, decompression is in progress, but then a whole bunch of big aliens spawn on top of us and it's game over man. Next run, I'll save some sentry guns and a minefield for that. Maybe that'll help.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I do not want this pulse rifle replica
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/621644272/aliens-m41-a-pulse-rifle-replica-hero

Or this smartgun
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1037476824/aliens-hero-smartgun-full-sized-screen

which means I wouldn't need this smartgun harness
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/637187891/aliens-smartgun-colonial-marines-hero

or this set of marine armour
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/643984465/aliens-colonial-marines-armor-11-screen

and not this helmet
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/727738395/aliens-colonial-marine-helmet-hero-prop

Nope, definitely don't want any of that. No, siree.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

you are looking for a halloween costume, right?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
not real weapons and armor

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Look he said he wouldn't want them, okay? gosh

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Are all of those polyresin builds? I'm wondering how they made the SteadiCam harness; I understand even parts for the armature are quite expensive but it does look real.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

mllaneza posted:

I'm in on the Discord, same handle as here.

I'm bad at this, so I'm stuck on only the third campaign mission. We're handling things, decompression is in progress, but then a whole bunch of big aliens spawn on top of us and it's game over man. Next run, I'll save some sentry guns and a minefield for that. Maybe that'll help.

The biggest mistake I made as a new player was not fatfingering the team buff ability as soon as something big shows up. I still can't aim but i can push that buttan

And yeah no shame in spamming sentries either it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Playing with two people and a bot you really love that bot when it pops the boost at the right moment