Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Nenonen posted:

Let's hope cameras were rolling. It's Russia, there is always video footage when people do stupid dangerous poo poo.

Sounds like the guy taking video also died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Let's hope cameras were rolling. It's Russia, there is always video footage when people do stupid dangerous poo poo.

Something else is going to be rolling for a home video of a silovik minister dying. Don’t get your hopes up.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
maybe it was just a trust fall exercise gone tragically wrong

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

maybe it was just a trust fall exercise gone tragically wrong
Or, it went perfectly fine, as planned

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dmitriy Kiselyov has been hospitalised with COVID-19. :ohdear:

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Dmitriy Kiselyov has been hospitalised with COVID-19. :ohdear:

He was vaccinated too :tinfoil:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hear covid makes you real clumsy, especially around open windows

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

VoltairePunk posted:

He was vaccinated too :tinfoil:

He said he was while talking how Sputnik V is the best vaccine in the world.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The fear- and war-mongering modern day Goebbels dying of corona after spreading lies about western vaccines that lead to deaths of thousands of babushkas would be too good for this hellworld

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Nenonen posted:

Russian emergencies minister Yevgeny Zinichev has died after reportedly falling off a cliff

gee, who puts a window up on a cliff

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/OlgaNYC1211/status/1437156216233414657

I thought they weren't signing any deals? :question:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

They are supposed to sign everything in November. Which is never a guarantee with Lukashenko, but things have definitely moved forward a bit with the latest visit.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
https://twitter.com/OCCRP/status/1437761299606351874

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man Volodymyr must've been making GBS threads bricks when that orange mushroom cloud appeared in the global news

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Wasn't that cargo basically left abandoned and nobody wanted to deal with it?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yes, but legally it belonged to someone. Port authorities wouldn’t or couldn’t find who, but instead of deposing it, they hung on to it, probably counting on racking up insane storage fees, as is the norm in the maritime industry.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27FpoRiStgk

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Here's a question for Belarussian goons, what do you think of the currently placed sanctions, is it enough, too much, too little? What would you like to see done differently by the EU countries/US?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Somaen posted:

Here's a question for Belarussian goons, what do you think of the currently placed sanctions, is it enough, too much, too little? What would you like to see done differently by the EU countries/US?

I don't think a single dictator ever was pressured to step down because of imposed sanctions. Sanctions, however, for one, help to free political prisoners. In 2010, when Lukashenko released dozens of protesters and opposition leaders, there was a fairly long period of normalisation in foreign relationships with the West. Just yesterday Lukashenko's released 13 people, most of them were in prison for 'insulting an official' or 'insulting the president' on the internet, actual criminal offences in Belarus. He probably hopes to get some sanctions lifted in return now, just like in 2010. But arguably the reason why so many people are thrown in prison is to have them as a bargaining chip in case sanctions get to severe. And if sanctions really get so severe they provoke an actual revolt that ousts Lukashenko, I don't think a complete economical collapse is worth it.

The sanctions that are in place now are not severe enough to significantly harm regular people, but they do keep pressure on Lukashenko to deliver on the constitution referendum, which should happen early next year. He's not going to step down after that exactly, as by all accounts he intends to stay in power on a different position, but it will open some opportunities for an actual power transfer.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Thanks for the answer Paladinus. Do you have any reason to think that he won't falsify the constitutional referendum just the same as the presidential elections, or give himself the power to appoint friends and family? Also won't the country be gradually absorbed into Russia with the union state agreement?

For sanctions, I don't think anyone is naive enough to think sanctions->democracy+peace, but I mean we all know the jokes about grave concerns and inaction in the face of horrific abuses. Economic sanctions are a material way to punish bad behavior and increase discontent in the offending country, weakens their hand which leads to negotiations and drawing red lines for dictators. Making him think twice about bringing down a plane full of EU citizens is the goal here, since countries can live under siege for decades if there's no critical mass to overthrow the ruling regime

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Somaen posted:

Thanks for the answer Paladinus. Do you have any reason to think that he won't falsify the constitutional referendum just the same as the presidential elections, or give himself the power to appoint friends and family? Also won't the country be gradually absorbed into Russia with the union state agreement?

For sanctions, I don't think anyone is naive enough to think sanctions->democracy+peace, but I mean we all know the jokes about grave concerns and inaction in the face of horrific abuses. Economic sanctions are a material way to punish bad behavior and increase discontent in the offending country, weakens their hand which leads to negotiations and drawing red lines for dictators. Making him think twice about bringing down a plane full of EU citizens is the goal here, since countries can live under siege for decades if there's no critical mass to overthrow the ruling regime

He might and risk another huge wave of protests. He doesn't really lose no matter how the referendum plays out. The Union State is a pipe dream, and even the 28 economical roadmaps are not really signed-off just yet. Implementing them will also take years and years, and whoever is president then will be able to stall as much as they want, just like Lukashenko did for 20 years.

As I said, sanctions do apply pressure, hence the release of 13 political prisoners. But you also have to understand that Lukashenko's and his government's actions are not always rational. Although the sanctions now are not too severe, they are still the harshest Belarus ever had, and despite that they continue to stir the migrant crisis, just because. Despite the release of 13 prisoners, about the same amount of people are still arrested every week for similar 'crimes'.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/MID_RF/status/1438768364353114115

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

probably an uncontroversial account of history for a good chunk of twitter

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 17, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Rinkles posted:

I pity them honestly. Can you imagine liking eating poo poo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Literal tankie time!

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Rinkles posted:

that meme with the hand shake but its Ukrainian Nationalists and Tankies both agreeing that Molotov-Ribbentrop was good

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

:stare:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
drat, how is this thread not already awash in posts about everyone's favorite event, the russian gosduma elections

while presumably nothing particularly exciting will happen with the vote itself, as planned, it appears russia no longer needs to even attempt to block Telegram, as they've instead found some way to make Durov say "gently caress it, I'll comply" and have simply deactivated NavalnyOrg's "vote for not the people chosen by the establishment" chatbot. there are probably better tweets but you're getting this one because it's the first one i happened to load at 3am:

https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1439148400059076609

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

They also forced Google and Apple to take down respective apps from their stores, a few days ago.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Ah well, nevertheless…

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

drat, how is this thread not already awash in posts about everyone's favorite event, the russian gosduma elections

Eh
poo poo, gotta go vote

Also, in some places smart voting failed because it picked obviously pro-ER candidates, like Katz backed bitch in north of moscow (last time same poo poo happened with idiotic bitch Besedina).
A lot of flak and distrust with whole idea of Smart Voting is from opposition because of that.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
pffffffff

https://twitter.com/novaya_gazeta/status/1439268141427736581

the accidental composition that makes it look like the flag itself is stuffing the ballot box is wonderful

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

pffffffff

the accidental composition that makes it look like the flag itself is stuffing the ballot box is wonderful

I’ve had medium rare chicken nuggets there, so this checks out.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

pffffffff

I never understand why they have to go through with physically stuffing a ballot box when they could just go "hey we counted the votes and we definitely won". It's like performative vote rigging at this point.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I never understand why they have to go through with physically stuffing a ballot box when they could just go "hey we counted the votes and we definitely won". It's like performative vote rigging at this point.

Then the person who reports the vote count would monopolise the election rigging power, which would be not in the spirit of democracy.

In reality they do both. Doing it at vote counting exposes rigging to a more robust audit trail, so for the sake of veneer of credence it’s almost always better to have minions tamper with the process upstream.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

It pretty much is exactly that. The intended message is "we care this little about you guys thinking the vote was legitimate, you are powerless anyway"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Russia still has international election observers who afaik are allowed to work mostly independently, so it's good to plant physical ballots in case they show up.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The rigging is not very well planned or executed, at least for the part that we know of. But we don't know of the well executed plans because they don't get caught... anyway, if you just fake the count and for some reason there comes a re-count, you're at risk of getting caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Ever since they put cameras in their polling stations I have seen at least one video on the internet of Russian poll workers stuffing ballot boxes during elections. It's as if Putin promised to expose corruption in the election and now that everyone knows what are you going to do about it?