Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

I still have large swaths of unexplored land, but they said there are new items that only spawn in new regions. Does this mean if I just hop on a boat and go exploring and relocate my base, I'll be set?

Sounds like it. That's my plan for when I get back into things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Uh, are these modders that get picked up by studious actually going to be a good thing for that studios work?

Sometimes they're great, sometimes it's a disaster.

Eric the Mauve posted:

This update is the biggest fiasco I've seen since that time Paradox pushed out a DLC patch that completely broke CK2 and then went on holiday for 2 weeks.

You should definitely go check out the quality on the latest EU4 patch :staredog:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Uh, are these modders that get picked up by studious actually going to be a good thing for that studios work?

He's actually loving fantastic, he's just a bit socially awkward.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

dogstile posted:

He's actually loving fantastic, he's just a bit socially awkward.

:unsmith: Unironically awesome; he's making a living with his passion.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

This barely registers on my “bad update” scale but I used to play Elite so if the game launches I call it a win.

Food changes were a bummer but glad to see they’re easing off on some of them. My friends and I are taking a very leisurely pace on our new world - it’s so relaxing to just roam the meadows, pick berries, stalk deer. Maybe one day we’ll kill a guy.

We’re very relaxed Vikings.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Idk how it scales late game, but in a new game/new character, Bronze Age the food/stam felt fine. Double meat + yellow mushroom/queen's jam felt like it did before and rolling double stam food for mining/logging even felt way better than before. I think the serpent meat did have something comical like 5 stamina, and the late game food was obscenely broken before so I can see some pain points. I was able to deal with several trolls in leather armour/crude bow using dodge rolling without any stam problems - I can see how Fulings might be a problem without the OP food from before though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

In regards to stamina one thing I think should happen is either stamina regeneration food or a rework of stamina potions. The stamina potions are so limited in their effect length and so long in their cooldown that they’re basically useless.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I think food should take advantage of more parameters.

So like instead of something JUST giving +20 max stamina it also gives +X stamina/tick. There's all sorts of relevant effects they could add in lieu of just higher maximum stamina:

-Faster stamina regen
-Offset stamina penalties from cold /wet or get a boosted effect when rested
-Refund a % of max stamina on enemy kills.
-Maintain full effect of bonuses for the duration instead of having them gradually taper off

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
skill buff foods would be cool - some stew that gives you + weapon skills, making some things with neck meat for improved swimming, etc

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Panfilo posted:

-Maintain full effect of bonuses for the duration instead of having them gradually taper off

This is one thing I'd really love to see, I love this game but I don't love how much time I need to spend balancing my character's carb intake and all that assorted poo poo.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Have Furlings started spawning inside peoples homes or am I just getting really unlucky? I'm set up in a meadow on the border of a black forest by the way.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I haven't seen any of that, but in the last patch I did see that you'd get groups of Fulings spawning at night on tiny slivers of Plains biome lands at the end of landmasses.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Have Furlings started spawning inside peoples homes or am I just getting really unlucky? I'm set up in a meadow on the border of a black forest by the way.

Did a workbench get destroyed that you didn't notice? Lay down a workbench exactly where they spawned to test if that fixes it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This is what my map looks like. I've been playing on my old save to check out the new stuff (and pick axe got rid of that hump, thanks). Are any of the plains spots I have found suitable for finding tar, or does it simply have to be a plains biome I completely haven't even discovered yet?

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

TeaJay posted:

This is what my map looks like. I've been playing on my old save to check out the new stuff (and pick axe got rid of that hump, thanks). Are any of the plains spots I have found suitable for finding tar, or does it simply have to be a plains biome I completely haven't even discovered yet?

We didn't really run around our old plains zones much, we sailed to a new plains on our original save and found them easily.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I managed to find tar on the southernmost side where there's a lot of crypts and plains starting south of the swamp. Those drat growths were dangerous! Some loxes made short work of them, though. Then I almost drowned in the tar while collecting it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It sounds like theres nothing really worth starting a new game over?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Something about this new patch has jacked with the rate my bases are getting attacked— it’s practically every other in-game day at this point. A way to tweak the frequency would be great, I just want to build my dang house without having to constantly clear out greydwarves and trolls.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Troll attacks are the worst because they trash your whole base and spawn way too frequently relative to other invasions, even after you've beaten the Elder. I think they should stop spawning after some checkpoint, maybe once you've killed the Swamp or Mountain bosses.

e:

GlyphGryph posted:

It sounds like theres nothing really worth starting a new game over?

Depends on what you like doing. I love building and the new blocks have been wonderful to play with. If you like combat or adventure there's not much to see. So it depends on your playstyle.

What I did last month was take my old character, with all their stats and top level gear, and start them in a new world. It still gives you incentive to work through the game linearly (need wood for base, copper to repair tools, iron to make stone, etc) and is kinda fun trashing early game mobs. If you want to play the update that may not be a bad way to go about it. At a minimum, you should bring a character with a high level axe and pickaxe to not go batshit insane during harvesting.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 19, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Trolls are fun but there needs to be a way to repair trees.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You can plant replacements

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I really just want some automated defenses. Give me weird rune-guardians or some poo poo. I’ll give up an eye and hang on a tree for nine in-game days if I have to.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

RE: Modders, they also kind of by definition are usually just modifying code already place (obviously not all) by adding assets, rulesets, etc. Whereas devs are often replumbing underlying stuff that might not be a sexy bullet point. The initial readme this implies that was happening on the HH expansion too, but whether it helps advance future stuff, or was just rejiggering how food/construction works is not clear.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Scaramouche posted:

RE: Modders, they also kind of by definition are usually just modifying code already place (obviously not all) by adding assets, rulesets, etc. Whereas devs are often replumbing underlying stuff that might not be a sexy bullet point. The initial readme this implies that was happening on the HH expansion too, but whether it helps advance future stuff, or was just rejiggering how food/construction works is not clear.

On that note, it'll be interesting to see if they do anything with liquids going forward because I am pretty sure this game did not have proper liquid physics at all until a few days ago. Thats something I could see them (either the devs or the modders) potentially getting really creative with.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Scaramouche posted:

Also (in general) much, much looser standards for quality control, compatibility, and user effort. If your mod is unstable, buggy, outright unusable with a random scattering of hardware, and requires the user to manually unpack files and then configure an entirely separate 3rd party tool? Sure, whatever.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Bussamove posted:

I really just want some automated defenses. Give me weird rune-guardians or some poo poo. I’ll give up an eye and hang on a tree for nine in-game days if I have to.

Yeah they should take the ward and make an upgrade that can shoot eye lasers to clean all of the shitters out of your walls and moats!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Firebert posted:

Yeah they should take the ward and make an upgrade that can shoot eye lasers to clean all of the shitters out of your walls and moats!

Anything to do something about that single greyling I’m aware of but ignoring until he breaks through my stone wall hours after he spawns.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I was expecting some combat tweaks, particularly with enemy AI.

I think the worst is enemy aggro. If I allow it, a low level grayling or boar will follow me for miles with a singular purpose - suicide by my spear. Let mobs rubber band like in MMOs or something, I dunno. Sometimes they do, but then sometimes not?

Also, I'd like to be able to tank, but all enemies seem to change aggro randomly. Last night my wife was helping me retrieve my corpse from a troll cave. I was tucked away behind a corner sneaking. She started shooting it with fire arrows and drew aggro. Typical MMO strategy. The nanosecond it was in my site, it turned and one shot me, despite my sneaking and despite my wife ridding it with arrows. Similar situations happen all the time. I'll be engaged with a two star having a good fight, then it just fucks off randomly for no apparent reason, either attacking someone else or just running in a circle. Is aggro just proximity based? I can't figure it out. Maybe just let enemies aggro by 1) damage, then 2) player wearing shield, then 3) proximity, in that order.

Also, poison lasts too drat long, especially in early game when shamans can hit you thru landscape from 10 meters :colbert:

Sorry for whining, I'm having more fun than not, but man, I wish the above were addressed.

Also, anyone getting crashes when using a controller? My game locks up, and when I restart, my left and right triggers are switched. The only way to fix is to disable controllers, restart game, and re-enable. This happened 2 to 3 times in a three hour session. My wife who was using a keyboard and mouse never crashed.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Valheim really needs a notoriety function. Kill enough of one species and they start avoiding you for a while (while still spawning and being huntable.)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've been having issues with the auto-pickup flat out not working since the update. Rebooting usually fixes it, but it's still super annoying.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 19, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My server, which went tens of hours without an attack pre patch, has been attacked twice today, and I'm loving it.

It may be because we've switched to a much more distributed base, so we had four people each by independent targetable areas. Or the patch. Or both. Regardless, I'm happy.

We had to retreat out of the Black Forest so often that we made a place on the edge we named "Rorke's Drift", which was a 2x3 of double stacked core wood logs, low enough that we could leap into it but high enough to stop the enemy, with a repair bench and a chest of arrows in the center.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Floppychop posted:

I've been having issues with the auto-pickup flat out nor working since the update. Rebooting usually fixes it, but it's still super annoying.

Sounds like halfway to a good thing.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Sounds like halfway to a good thing.

You'd think so, until you realize that doing stuff like mining requires you to pick up every. single. copper. nugget.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Floppychop posted:

I've been having issues with the auto-pickup flat out not working since the update. Rebooting usually fixes it, but it's still super annoying.

It could be this messing you up?

quote:

In hearth and Home, we added a much requested feature to be able to toggle Auto-pickup! This is by default the "V" key. but you can change it in keybindings settings in the menu! :)

I found this in the bugtracker:

https://valheimbugs.featureupvote.com/search?q=pickup&page=0

pik_d fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 19, 2021

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I started a new world with an old character to check the new content out. Has anyone else noticed that deer seem to allow you to get much closer without spooking? I've even been able to get two standing next to each other with a bow because the second one took a few moments to react. I would not at all mind this change as hunting deer is my least favorite thing to do with a new character, but I'm wondering if one of the mods I disabled is still interfering with things.

Similarly, I'm being attacked by much larger groups of greydwarfs when logging and mining during the day and they seem to be coming from further away than previously. Before, I'd get a single dwarf or maybe two if another happened to be nearby every few minutes. Now I draw four or five seemingly every 60 seconds. I'll never run out of resin, but it definitely gets tedious. Groups at night also seem bigger and include multiple shamans and brutes. I haven't even taken on the first boss yet.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
Has anyone found any onion seeds yet? The wiki says they're in chests in the mountains, but I've scoured two whole new mountains since the patch and haven't found a single one.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

SamLikesCake posted:

Has anyone found any onion seeds yet? The wiki says they're in chests in the mountains, but I've scoured two whole new mountains since the patch and haven't found a single one.

Yeah I found them in a chest in the run-down log houses up there

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Have all the QoL mods been updated for the new release? I was interested in the inventory slot for armor and some farming mods.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

pik_d posted:

It could be this messing you up?

I found this in the bugtracker:

https://valheimbugs.featureupvote.com/search?q=pickup&page=0

That's it! I bound my map to the V key so I could hit it easily, and I ended up having both toggle pickup and map on V key

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Have all the QoL mods been updated for the new release? I was interested in the inventory slot for armor and some farming mods.

I *think* the slots mod was updated but I don't use it so I'm not sure. Mass Farming was updated, Farm Grid didn't break, and Crop Replant mostly works but the replace a crop with another crop function is broken.