Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
could you take another peak if it's not too much trouble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Can we still do the "buy an old EVGA card and get in the step up queue" or did they remove that option? Getting antsy...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Vasler posted:

Can we still do the "buy an old EVGA card and get in the step up queue" or did they remove that option? Getting antsy...

yes

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yes, but the queue is still a good 4 months behind. It does seem like they've been making a lot of progress on the 3080 Ti queue in particular, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have a question that maybe some of the smarter people in this thread can answer: the problem with APUs was generally that DRAM doesn't have as much bandwidth as VRAM, so even if you have 8 Vega CUs or whatever, you can't make full use of them because they're always waiting to be fed more data.

Recently, we had a "leak" of Alder Lake running on DDR5:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gear-4-mode-tested-on-alder-lake
https://www.techpowerup.com/286638/first-tentative-alder-lake-ddr5-performance-figures-leak

The "complaint" in these reports is that even though bandwidth is supposed to be really high, the memory latency is slow.

At 92.5ns, Tom's Hardware compares this to the kind of latency you'd get with Zen 1, but with a read/write/copy speed of 90,138 / 88,844 / 77,750 MB/s respectively

I looked for a random AIDA64 result for a contemporary CPU and I saw a latency of 65.8 ns, and with a read/write/copy speed of 53,841 / 30,342 / 48,970 MB/s respectively, from a DDR4 3800 kit. This seems somewhat unoptimized yet, but I figured it might be representative of what a not-heavily-overclocking user might be able to get.

Then, I looked at the page for the GTX 1650, which still uses GDDR5, and saw that the listing is for a memory bandwidth of 128 GB/s (and yes, acknowledging that GDDR6 and GDDR6X exist, but it's not like I'm counting on being able to compete with those).

I guess my question is: given what we know of DDR5, and seeing that the bandwidth is significantly higher than DDR4, how much closer is the bandwidth to something like GDDR5? If GDDR5 is rated at 128 GB/s, is it reasonable to say that DDR5 operating at somewhere between 77.7 to 90.1 GB/s is getting close to that?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's the the ballpark of GDDR5 with a 128-bit bus, but 128-bit is pretty narrow for a GPU

even mid-range GPUs tend to be 256-bit and high end ones are even wider

ye olde 980ti got 336GB/sec out of GDDR5 using a wide bus

repiv fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 17, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Alan Smithee posted:

you got hosed what the gently caress

it's good to buy in when prices are at their highest, right (I didn't pay out the rear end AND trade my 3060 ti for it, if that's how you read it).

change my name fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 17, 2021

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I have an MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080 and it's been serving me really well since I got it last year. However, I noticed that the GPU specifically crashes after 10-20 minutes of playing Destiny 2 while I'm half-watching Hulu (the perfect game for such a thing). How can I start diagnosing this problem?

It crashes with at both stock voltage and undervolted :( Temps on load are looking just fine (~60C or so). The rest of the system is an i9-10900K @ 5GHz (already validated that the overclock is fine) with a Noctua NH-D15.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Alan Smithee posted:

could you take another peak if it's not too much trouble
Maybe give the memory express stores you are willing to drive to a call if you don't want to make the trip?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

im stateside

this is for my canadian wife

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

space marine todd posted:

I have an MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080 and it's been serving me really well since I got it last year. However, I noticed that the GPU specifically crashes after 10-20 minutes of playing Destiny 2 while I'm half-watching Hulu (the perfect game for such a thing). How can I start diagnosing this problem?

It crashes with at both stock voltage and undervolted :( Temps on load are looking just fine (~60C or so). The rest of the system is an i9-10900K @ 5GHz (already validated that the overclock is fine) with a Noctua NH-D15.

I had a similar thing awhile back happen to my 1080 and even after I switched out just about every part in the machine excepting the CPU, the problem persisted. It was only after I pulled the card and put in a 970 that things worked normally again.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

space marine todd posted:

Furmark for general stress test, and then OCCT. I think OCCT has to run for a bit.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's NVidia's typical driver release cadence? Every three weeks?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CoolCab posted:

a "3070 teef"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
now i'm thinking about some kind of air cooling denture setup

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

"Oh your "Deathloop" is too poorly optimised? Your "3070 teef" hurt? Well that's too freakin bad!"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Flaming MOE 3070 teef OC edition

Has alligator with sunglasses on the cover

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
ROG STRIX WAAAGH!!! FTW

da red wunz go fasta!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Xaris posted:

Have you tried asking your landlord
You should also get a UPS anyways as well. I got a CyberPower 1500VA and it's been quite nice not having to worry about losing a bunch of work/damaging my PC

Haha, I've had to replace my own air conditioner, ceiling fan and front screen door because I got tired of never hearing back on service requests. I live in a property owned by a rather...laissez faire manager.

Regardless, your thought about a UPS is a great idea and I'm going to do that anyways.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Great, thanks! What's the cheapest card to buy that can step up to a 3070 or 3080?

I've been on EVGA's non-step up list since something like late September of last year. I'm starting to doubt if I'll ever get a card, though I did get an email telling me I was shifted to the new model that isn't for mining.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Vasler posted:

I've been on EVGA's non-step up list since something like late September of last year. I'm starting to doubt if I'll ever get a card, though I did get an email telling me I was shifted to the new model that isn't for mining.

Fun fact: Ampere launched this day exactly 1 year ago. I remember having a million windows open trying to buy one only for them to sell out in a millisecond.

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

Zoran posted:

Did anyone actually get a GPU shipped from shopblt.com? I put in a pre-order for an EVGA 3080 when the LHR models were put up, and I’ve never seen them report that they actually got any in. Estimated arrival dates have always just said “Past Due.”

I put a preorder on a couple different 3080 SKUs the morning they went up and only ever get e-mails about how they are still waiting on stock. I actually ended up getting a 3080 from the shuffle but I may as well keep my preorders in just to see what happens.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

Haha, I've had to replace my own air conditioner, ceiling fan and front screen door because I got tired of never hearing back on service requests. I live in a property owned by a rather...laissez faire manager.

Regardless, your thought about a UPS is a great idea and I'm going to do that anyways.
I figured that would be the case yeah, just wanted to throw it out there incase they weren't. all landlords are horrible; mine just happens to be slightly less-horrible in that they usually replace anything I ask but i absolutely recognize that's a minority of cases. A 20a breaker is very cheap and safe if you did want to DIY swap out -- double check local building code but replacing outlets/breakers is something exempt from electrician requirements and something anyone can do. I've swapped out several of my crummy 2-prong outlets to GFCI ones myself. Just check the wire gauge into the breaker box first and also check it out at the outlet side with a caliper.

UPS is definitely a great peace of mind.. The price difference to spring for a beefcake boy vs a lower cap one wasn't very much so I sprung for the 1500VA.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 17, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

as i was saying about deathloops mouse polling :barf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu_XHyO-6zY&t=197s

thankfully there's already a beta patch that improves things, and there's references to DLSS in the EXE so that might be coming later

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Sounds like it'll be running great by the time it hits PC gamepass!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

mA posted:

Fun fact: Ampere launched this day exactly 1 year ago. I remember having a million windows open trying to buy one only for them to sell out in a millisecond.

I remember everyone selling their 2080/tis on the cheap and then holding their dicks for months, agape at the realization that they utterly & horrendously played themselves.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

people were patting themselves on the back on how much they had sold the cards so it’s funny in hindsight

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

and people were sure that Nvidia had timed the launch alongside (ahead of) CP2077 as a masterstroke to dominate the generation

that game was and is an incredible failure even now

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

shrike82 posted:

people were patting themselves on the back on how much they had sold the cards so it’s funny in hindsight

I scored a 3080 relatively early (November) and sold my 2070 for $400, only to see it sell for over 2x that price a month or two later. I was definitely salty about that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they're bringing back the non-upscaling flavour of DLSS they announced during the initial DLSS 1.0 launch then never mentioned again

https://twitter.com/longbool/status/1438973491437527040

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

they're bringing back the non-upscaling flavour of DLSS they announced during the initial DLSS 1.0 launch then never mentioned again

Oh hell yeah that is pretty awesome. I'm very interested in this.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

repiv posted:

Yes! I'm happy it finally happened!

NeverRelax
Jul 16, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mA posted:

I scored a 3080 relatively early (November) and sold my 2070 for $400, only to see it sell for over 2x that price a month or two later. I was definitely salty about that.

didnt you buy a 3090 at near MSRP though? You still made out significantly better than most.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Vasler posted:

Great, thanks! What's the cheapest card to buy that can step up to a 3070 or 3080?

I wanna say the evga 210

If there’s a cheaper one idk but at 50-60 buxx can’t complain

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

I wanna say the evga 210

to be 100% clear, it has to be the -KR model numbers, not the -LR model numbers.

the 01G-P3-1312-LR is regularly available at adorama, but that is not eligible for step up, and I'm seeing reports that EVGA is being a bit touchy with the -KR 210s now too

https://forums.evga.com/GT-210-Qualify-for-StepUp-m3399587.aspx

stump collector
May 28, 2007
https://www.adorama.com/ev01gp31313.html

this is what i used a few months ago
dont forget to get the warranty on it for 20 bucks when you receive the card as it transfers to whatever card you end up picking out

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes, but the queue is still a good 4 months behind. It does seem like they've been making a lot of progress on the 3080 Ti queue in particular, though.

I've acquired 3 different 3080Ti's through the notification queue and passed them on to friends

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Xaris posted:

UPS is definitely a great peace of mind.. The price difference to spring for a beefcake boy vs a lower cap one wasn't very much so I sprung for the 1500VA.

I asked about UPS in the PC parts thread but never got an answer, maybe one of you guys can help me.

I've got a beefy power supply- 1500 or 1600 watts- that I got since I was planning to keep adding GPUs for rendering. The Cyberpower UPS I'm looking at is rated at 1000W. For someone who doesn't understand electricity at all, what would be the issue for plugging my computer with its 1500W PSU into a 1000W UPS. I've only got a 780 and a 2070 in there now, so I don't think I'm drawing north of a 1000W yet, but if I added one or two more cards, would the computer not be able to run at load while plugged into that UPS?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

repiv posted:

as i was saying about deathloops mouse polling :barf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu_XHyO-6zY&t=197s

thankfully there's already a beta patch that improves things, and there's references to DLSS in the EXE so that might be coming later

also shown: the 3090 super 👀

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

I wanna say the evga 210

Thanks! The only problem I'm facing is that I can't seem to find a reputable seller in Canada that actually has cards in stock.

Guess I'll keep looking.