Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aphrodite posted:

In Black Panther, that's mostly a lie to garner support. As soon as he actually gets power his goal is conquest and death. That's what that whole throne scene is about but everyone forgets anything but the cool camera rotation.

That's what I'm saying, so why couldn't he have done that with vibranium Mysterio drones? Granted he enacts his plan pre Thanos (even earlier in this episode) and Stark doesn't go full space orbiting murder drones until after they failed to stop Thanos but I think that would have helped to differentiate this plot from his original plan.

What I'm saying is I would have liked to see Killmonger succeed in conquering America and then the cliff hanger could have been his American army with vibranium infused stark tech attempting to invade a Pantherless Wakanda. That's a What If...? "Oh no it's worse now" plot not "What if he did his plan early and still failed

Edit: VVVVVV Yeah it's a great look but at no point did I think he served with that hair/Vegeta armor.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know they did it for recognizability but it kind of bugged me that Killmonger looked exactly the same as in Black Panther even though that was about 10 years later.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

muscles like this! posted:

I know they did it for recognizability but it kind of bugged me that Killmonger looked exactly the same as in Black Panther even though that was about 10 years later.

I was kind of hoping he'd have less scars as a result. Like maybe just one clean pec.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
How many more episodes are left? I feel like this series is meant to ultimately be about Uatu outside of all the multiverse shenanigans.

The timing of the ending definitely caught me off guard. I thought we might have 5 minutes left. But I understand the point. It's hope.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Bruceski posted:

I figure he's put on some fake-rear end upper crust accent like Jacob Rees-Mogg.

It makes sense in my mind for dr strange to have a weird rear end accent because it adds to his weird uncanny wizard aesthetic, the only other acceptable option would be if he said everything in a melodramatic way like the venture brothers parody of him

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He's a high end American surgeon, gods have a him complex. Fucker wouldn't put on airs, it would imply there's something above him to pretend to.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Just catching up to the episode and cracking the gently caress up at the background guests at Tony's party. Like I get that animation costs money but wow.

Tag yourself I'm the guy on the left bouncing up and down.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 17, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Having them be completely static would look better than jittery Tumblr gifs.

Mulva posted:

He's a high end American surgeon, gods have a him complex. Fucker wouldn't put on airs, it would imply there's something above him to pretend to.

Ayy, oh! I'm castin' ova' here!

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

if I had to guess the shot was maybe re-tooled to be wider to include more drones

Vishass fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 20, 2021

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SonicRulez posted:

How many more episodes are left? I feel like this series is meant to ultimately be about Uatu outside of all the multiverse shenanigans.

Three more episodes. The trailers make it apparent that we're getting an Exiles-like team-up at one point. Plus there's a shot showing a follow-up to this week's episode (Pepper and Shuri running side-by-side).

The fight between Killmonger and the drone made me think of the MST3K movie Future War where during the final battle, the main character's shirt just kind of falls off in the most unnatural and gratuitous way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gavok posted:

Three more episodes. The trailers make it apparent that we're getting an Exiles-like team-up at one point. Plus there's a shot showing a follow-up to this week's episode (Pepper and Shuri running side-by-side).

The fight between Killmonger and the drone made me think of the MST3K movie Future War where during the final battle, the main character's shirt just kind of falls off in the most unnatural and gratuitous way.

Even if it's animated, you got Michael B Jordan in your film you gotta get a shot of him shirtless.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Finished the first 3 episodes of Y. It's interesting so I'll keep going. I don't remember a lot of details of the comic, and really I'm more interested in agent 355. I just really like watching the grand situation playing out more than yorick's stuff.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
believe it or not, Hulu's Hit-Monkey animated series still exists and has a November premiere date

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/marvels-hit-monkey-first-look-and-release-date-revealed-for-hulu-series/

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Barry Convex posted:

believe it or not, Hulu's Hit-Monkey animated series still exists and has a November premiere date

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/marvels-hit-monkey-first-look-and-release-date-revealed-for-hulu-series/

wow, i'd assumed this was quietly canned given the total silence on it for the past... however long it's been since Howard the Duck and Tigra & Dazzler were dropped

has Hit-Monkey appeared in any comics anytime recently?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FoneBone posted:

Unless I'm missing something the last time was a one panel gag near the end of Duggan's Deadpool run in 2018

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
He was a new character in one of those Marvel phone games I don't play but see adds for.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

FoneBone posted:

wow, i'd assumed this was quietly canned given the total silence on it for the past... however long it's been since Howard the Duck and Tigra & Dazzler were dropped

A few years ago he joined the Mercs for Money and the monster-themed Howling Commandos.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

I work on that show! Stoked the teaser is out.

Vishass fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 20, 2021

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbwnZIaen_4 If the Sandman Netflix show is viable they should definitely also cast Kristan Schaal as Delirium

Jeffery Wright as Destiny is also kind of funny since he's voicing the Watcher right now

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's also currently playing Batman on a HBO Max audio drama thing they just recently put out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If they follow the story of the comic series, it will start out very cheap and end as high sci-fi epic battles and space lasers, but might get there incrementally enough that they’ll get away with it. I hope they have the guts to set the Hunter stuff in the 80s and put Christine in the actual 2020s with like covid and poo poo. We’re dystopia enough to be an 80s cyberpunk setting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have a feeling it's going to be very hard for them to resist the temptation to make Hunter Rose a hero. They're already calling him an anti-hero in articles. He most definitely is not a hero and I just can't see them going as far as they do in the original story. I mean he does some seriously heinous poo poo. I mean I know they already cast Liz Sparks but I can't see them doing the Lucas Ottoman story. If they do then good on them for sticking to the book but there's no way you're calling Grendel a hero or anti-hero when he burns down an apartment building full of people just to kill off a reporter that has uncovered his identity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If they're smart the first season follows the Grendel story that ends with the death of Hunter Rose and if it lasts .ore than one season they can follow the ongoing book.

I would love to see it make it to a 5th year that tells the War Child story.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One thing I think is kind of interesting about Hunter Rose is that he’s presented as cool and interesting by being kept at a distance from the reader by having his presence in the original stories mediated by Christine and Wiggins, which also distances him from the horror of his behavior. He had this mystique by only being in a few stories, including one where he outsmarts Batman. But when he comes back in Behold the Devil and that story where he meets the Shadow, he’s exposed as someone who only cares about crime and violence, to the point where he ignores some really interesting stuff like finding out about the next thousand years of history and the secret of Grendel being some kind of supernatural force in favor of narcissistically focussing on being a crime lord because he’s good at it. It’s kind of like Wagner falls out of love with him over the years and he loses that mystique of being a legend or piece of folklore.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s kind of like Wagner falls out of love with him over the years and he loses that mystique of being a legend or piece of folklore.

I thought I'd heard he explicitly said that, that as he went on he realised that Hunter Rose is just a loving piece of poo poo and so the later stories are less flattering. I don't remember where I heard that though, so you know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope Grendel is a huge hit so we get a Mage series as well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hunter Rose initially comes across as a cool antihero because he's a suave, successful, self-made man with a cool mask and costume and a unique secret identity who goes up against Argent, the "good guy," who is ugly, scary, disgusting, murderous, and employed by the police.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

TwoPair posted:

Just catching up to the episode and cracking the gently caress up at the background guests at Tony's party. Like I get that animation costs money but wow.

Tag yourself I'm the guy on the left bouncing up and down.

Yeah, this was the standout moment of the episode. Real grade A garbage.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

I hope Grendel is a huge hit so we get a Mage series as well.

Wait, they were connected?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, they were connected?

No but they are both Matt Wagner properties and sometimes when a creators work is adapted and is popular they start looking at other things they've created.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

No but they are both Matt Wagner properties and sometimes when a creators work is adapted and is popular they start looking at other things they've created.

Sorry. But we have 12 more Mark Millar shows for you.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Barry Convex posted:

I see Fat Cobra in there too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

This week's What If is must-watch.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That was awesome

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

This week's What If is must-watch.

it was goddamned delightful

like i ugly laughed probably four times

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I wasn't entirely onboard initially but it quickly won me over.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Oh, yea I guess that could happen.

X-O posted:

Sorry. But we have 12 more Mark Millar shows for you.

"Now, get this....what if superheroes...were...jerks! Oh man I love that I can pitch when i'm on coke!" - Millar, probably

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Soonmot posted:

it was goddamned delightful

like i ugly laughed probably four times

Yeah this was the first episode that I actually laughed out loud at. Only real problem I had was how quick Jane fell for him. But I get it. It just kinda made her character a bit more shallow.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

With a title like "What if.. Thor was an only child" I admit I was sort of hoping for a Hela appearance or mention in some fashion. Probably just sort of in the same spot where Loki shows up here, just menacing for a second then "Oh no, she's already a friend, she's gonna be running the part of the party where goths hang out" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
"party pooper! There, I said it."