Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

some of these tlousday vids will disappear soon so posting for anyone's enjoyment. we stream every tuesday on veegy's twitch (1pm PST / 9pm GMT)

the first 2 or 3 we were having trouble with mic preferences so some voices are not audible.

https://twitch.tv/videos/1085692977

https://twitch.tv/videos/1092630544

https://twitch.tv/videos/1099954887

https://twitch.tv/videos/1107116865

https://twitch.tv/videos/1121311178

https://twitch.tv/videos/1128318573

https://twitch.tv/videos/1135257594

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

VG you should move those to youtube

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bust Rodd posted:

The Fast of Us

The Last and the Furious

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dewgy posted:

The Last and the Furious

The Fast and the Touriest

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Need an illustration of Joel drifting a kart while three bricks rotate around him

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Abby crushing Joel's skull with a turtle shell

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Recreating the Old boy fight with Abby vs a swarm of Joels.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

RareAcumen posted:

Recreating the Old boy fight with Abby vs a swarm of Joels.

This would be so sick

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

tlousday nearly upon us

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
BEACH :argh:

Everyday, every time, getting owned on the beach...

CAR CRASH CRACKERS fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 7, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

BEACH :argh:

Everyday, every time, getting owned on the beach...

It's an awful level, why do I put up with it :negative:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like beach :downs:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

you are in fact a huge beach

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The horse riding in Part 2 feels so seemless and nice to control.

shimmer you move too much :smith:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z9fOXV8AY8

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
Gonna be the bow master come Tuesday.

Arrows in the rear end for everyone

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's crazy (in a good) way people are still making videos like this. You'd think this was from 7 years ago but nope. Just uploaded. Factions fans will play until the end of time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

It's crazy (in a good) way people are still making videos like this. You'd think this was from 7 years ago but nope. Just uploaded. Factions fans will play until the end of time.

Dr pooplove is a national treasure

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

Need some dynamite for them arrows :torgue:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Need some dynamite for them arrows :torgue:

:ohdear:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

stragglers feelin the frowns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiAiuLllUVA

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gonna effortpost about a book here for you folks, but don't worry I think it's something goons of this thread might really enjoy as it was undoubtedly one of the thematic inspirations for TLOU and TLOU2, in terms of culture, disease, civilization rupture, infrastructural decay, survivalism, and climate change.

The Great Bay: Chronicles of the Collapse is a 2010 science-fiction/speculative-fiction novel by Dale Pendell.

A short preamble: Pendell's work prior to this was in history and ethnobotany (study of the intersection of plants and culture), and if you're at all interested in that kind of knowledge he has written three tremendous volumes that touch on the tribal histories of plants and synthetic substances, as well as the imperial history of their commodified forms and the cultural/political/philosophical quandaries therein. He's an immensely insightful writer who combines folk knowledge, poetry, biology, chemistry, climate science, gender study, world history, and political critique into something tangible and unique, funny, dark, and emotionally compelling.

If you think you might be interested in reading about how coffee and tea literally became the engines of capitalist society and changed the way we thought and acted wholesale throughout the transition from feudalism, as well as the context of the recent histories of globalized trade and ubiquity of these substances, etc...then those books are for you. Warning, the histories are pretty dark! The three volumes are:

- Pharmako/Poeia: Plant Powers, Poisons, and Herbcraft
- Pharmako/Dynamis: Stimulating Plants, Potions, and Herbcraft
- Pharmako/Gnosis: Plant Teachers and the Poison Path

They are all worth reading in order, but sometimes people start with the second volume which covers a lot of very familiar items including coffee, tea, chocolate, coca, ephedra, and mdma, to name a few.

Okay, with that

A synopsis on the back of The Great Bay lays the scene:
--

"A global pandemic kills much of mankind in 2021 -- more than two hundred million die in the U.S. in the first month alone. Dale Pendell's The Great Bay: Chronicles of the Collapse takes us on a journey sixteen thousand years into the future -- a future transformed by the warming of the planet and the flooding and climatic changes that result around the world. While Pendell's scope is vast, the imaginative and thought-provoking stories in The Great Bay focus on the lives of people in what was once California, where rising sea levels have formed a great bay in the heart of the state. These stories are not merely a warning -- they show how people rediscover the old ways of living and surviving, and the world that emerges is as much utopian as dystopian."

--

So, bit of a detached synopsis, I think. The work itself is anything but detached, in fact it's quite down to earth, sometimes extremely sad, at other times just incredibly moving and hopeful. Calling it a novel is a bit of a stretch at times, even though the thing that binds it all together is one extremely concentrated and tangible idea. The way it unfolds is more of a collection of short stories separated by epoch and told though personal vignette, oral history, recovered documents, interviews, and newspaper fragments.

The table of contents lists 12 sections which are kind of like chapters, further subdivided into smaller subchapter stories which sometimes intertwine. The chapter sections are laid out in the following manner (almost Frank Herbert level timescales in here):

- The First Decade of the Collapse, 2021-2030
- The Second Decade, 2031-2040
- The Third Through Fifth Decades, 2041-2070
- The Second Half-Century, 2071-2120
- The Second Century, 2121-2220
- The Third Century, 2221-2320
- The Fourth and the Fifth Centuries, 2321-2520
- The Sixth Through the Tenth Centuries, 2521-3020
- The Second Thousand Years, 3021-4020
- The Third Through the Fifth Millennia, 4021-7020
- The Sixth Through the Tenth Millennia, 7021-12020
- The Far Millennia, Beginning Ten Thousand Years After the Collapse

Each of these chapters is preceded by a sort of time-lapse synopsis called a 'Panoptic', a sort of retrospective of the broad changes to human life that sets the scene for the stories that follow.

And all of this stays almost completely localized (and personalized!) in one part of the world as we chart the changes to the weather, flora, fauna, landscape, political movement, and culture. As utilitarian as the TOC looks, the actual tales throughout are remarkably emotional and sensitive, often focusing on specific people or clans just going about their lives in a world remaking itself around them. I often found myself thinking about the smaller tales as if they had the drama of something like the TLOU/TLOU2 narrative propulsion, all while surrounded by huge and inscrutable natural events, like the way the second half of Ellie's story takes place in a Seattle so altered via climate as to be almost unrecognizable to us. I thought about other games and movies, too, a lot of the future-topia standards that pop up in conversation, though Pendell keeps it all remarkably down to earth and low tech while also describing a future in which humans learned from the mistakes of the Anthropocene and rediscover long lost elements of human culture.

One of the early stories in the first decade section is of Amanda (Santa Monica, 2021, from Janet Conway's Stories of the Collapse, Archives of the Scholar's Guild, Berkeley), a young orphan who travels up highway 101 with another girl named Inez in search of their parents, and the people and situations they encounter along the way, including a hippie cowboy storyteller named Phillip, and pair of bikers named Moog and Fly, etc. A later entry charts the changes in their lives as the decade concludes. A lot of the personal details immediately made me well up with emotion and a sort of bittersweet wonder for these people I will never meet, who are occasionally so similar to people I've already met. I guess that's a stupid way to put it, the book itself is so emotionally compelling and interesting despite its premise being so vast.

Anyways, I felt like it was worth sharing for anyone out there that likes to ruminate on this stuff and feels a bit lonely for answers, or anyone who just needs a fresh and invigorating take on the craziness of our onrushing world but would like to imagine themselves as part of a broader human narrative. If you end up reading it I hope you like it.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 17, 2021

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Very appreciative of the effort post Mr. Rodd POLE, I actually read it before falling asleep last night and had some horrendously vivid dreams. I will find that book but give me six or so years to read it because my reading habit is atrocious. I got Red Dragon in February and have read 50 pages (in 30 minutes then never picked it up again despite enjoying it because it isn’t an endless stream of internet shitposting).

I am now going to do something bad and complain about factions. Lady Aipsh has commented before that she’s never seen me even remotely bothered by a game. I fought Isshin in Sekiro for an entire week without so much as making an annoyed grunt but Factions as pubby is just :magical:

I’ve been tempted to throw my controller at the screen playing it. When I’m playing against you guys and going 0 downs 0 executions 999 deaths it’s fine because I can always see either the mistakes I made or the clever plays you did but playing against randoms is like being toyed with by time-space wizards. It feels like they always know where am even if I’m crawling for the entire match with every stealth perk, everyone one shots me no matter what gun they have, and they have perfect accuracy despite being pelted with bullets. Tbf I have seen people using exploits like wall banging and crab walking but I don’t think I’ve ever been of the receiving end of them - instead it’s like everyone has 1000% health while I am a frail and pallid Victorian child hurling twigs and coughing as loudly as possible and making 0 progress.

What am I doing wrong feel like poo poo guys just want a win :negative:

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 17, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aidan_702 posted:

Very appreciative of the effort post Mr. Rodd

I am a Pole, not a Rodd :colbert:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Looks cool, I'm gonna pick this up. Thanks BP!

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I am a Pole, not a Rodd :colbert:

Oh this is embarrassing.

I invite both you and bust rodd to shank me senseless without complaint next time

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 17, 2021

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Bust rodd refuses to play factions with us cuz he knows we're gonna ask him to do an english accent

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aidan_702 posted:

Oh this is embarrassing.

I invite both you and bust rodd to shank me senseless without complaint next time

bust rodd couldn't shank a bitch even if he had an autoshank perk equipped

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

Aidan_702 posted:

I’ve been tempted to throw my controller at the screen playing it. When I’m playing against you guys and going 0 downs 0 executions 999 deaths it’s fine because I can always see either the mistakes I made or the clever plays you did but playing against randoms is like being toyed with by time-space wizards. It feels like they always know where am even if I’m crawling for the entire match with every stealth perk, everyone one shots me no matter what gun they have, and they have perfect accuracy despite being pelted with bullets. Tbf I have seen people using exploits like wall banging and crab walking but I don’t think I’ve ever been of the receiving end of them - instead it’s like everyone has 1000% health while I am a frail and pallid Victorian child hurling twigs and coughing as loudly as possible and making 0 progress.

I tried playing with randos once and it was so aggressively anti-fun it almost made me write off Factions altogether.
Nothing like listening to a grown-rear end babyman having a slur filled tantrum over a vidja game while being steamrolled by level 999 dudes with perfect aim and magic molitovs.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Aidan_702 posted:

It's been years since I played factions but I found incredible success with maxed out stealth and a silenced shorty (plus whatever perks fills that out, maybe a machete?). Shorty plus a 4x4 to the head downs just about anyone and at point blank comes out nearly instantly, or both shorty shells will usually do it. Move silently and lurk in cover for people to get too close to you to make for cover and then blast them. It's cheap to upgrade and since you don't have a long-arm you have more supplies for armor/ammo. Only thing you really need to worry about is people with machetes, but that's nothing unique to this build.

For more open maps I liked the bow or the frontier rifle. The bow has a real skill curve but downing in 2 shots (or 1 to the head) from just about any range without giving your position away is huge. The frontier rifle is just a good weapon at medium/long range.

When I played I'd put my good games on YouTube if seeing this in action would help.

Edit; whatever, here's a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRZzSdqGS6s

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 17, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shorty-Bros or Shorty-Chete is an extremely fun way to play, makes you focus on stealth, movement, and juking, allows for a nice point spread into skills and the in game upgrades always seem within reach parts-wise.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I kinda sucked at Factions for a long while until I stopped clinging to stealth and explored aggressive play styles. It helped me understand how combat flows around the maps, made me more comfortable with moving around without leaning on listen mode, and taught me the limits of that play style, and all of those made me way more effective in general. Now when I play a stealth build I'm better at flanking and I don't hesitate to go loud when it's the better option.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would play factions but Tuesdays I’m usually playing Outriders with my brother. I do watch all your VODs though, I’ll come shiv you folks sometime.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

I kinda sucked at Factions for a long while until I stopped clinging to stealth and explored aggressive play styles. It helped me understand how combat flows around the maps, made me more comfortable with moving around without leaning on listen mode, and taught me the limits of that play style, and all of those made me way more effective in general. Now when I play a stealth build I'm better at flanking and I don't hesitate to go loud when it's the better option.

this, but also tbf stealth and recon are far more necessary skills for Survivors than Supply Raid, Supply Raid benefits from a more aggressive build and an ability to switch gears and reassess position.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I should maybe clarify that I played exclusively supply raid.

Those are good points - stealth should be regarded as an offensive weapon, not a defensive tool. Positioning yourself in relation to your team, and knowing who can cover you, and with what (e.g. the shortybro can't cover your advance but the sniper at the far end of the hall absolutely can) are your defensive tools. Stealth gets you where the enemy doesn't expect you to be, but if you get made outside your effective range, don't think it's bad to just sprint back to a position your allies can cover. It's also important not to waste time sneaking when you don't need to. If you're sneaking 100% of the time you're risking missing supply boxes and being out of position on relation to your team.

One final newbie note: if you're in cover and get shot by something silent and you don't immediately know where it came from, run. Fuckin sprint away, because shot 2 is a quick follow and you need to be a moving target. If you get hit in cover and stop to think even for a second you're gonna eat that second shot.

In short factions is a land of contrasts.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Oh great, now Druckmann will ruin the tv series as well with his inclusion of strong female characters, his blatant trans agenda and overly blunt Palestine allegories. :rolleyes:

https://www.gfinityesports.com/last-of-us-2/tv-show-neil-druckmann-director/

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
"Neil, Hi, this is HBO! So early focus is going good, people are vibing, but the notes are pretty clear: no one is absolutely miserable yet. People aren't quite ready to puke up their guts in frustration or anxiety yet, any chance you could stop by this week and..."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Neil is directing the factions episode

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Started playing the Last of Us remaster in order to actually finish the drat game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Started playing the Last of Us remaster in order to actually finish the drat game.

So far it still holds up. It seriously looks better than some ps4 games (Fallout 4 for example). And I'm impressed that the ai is actually really similar to the sequel, it is possible to lose enemies by hiding and if you use someone as a human shield they will break free if you run out of ammo. Running away is also still an option.