Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Otrimi mutate precon is great! I bought it on release and suped it up special without breaking the bank.

One critique I have of that deck/archetype is this: Auspicious Starrix is so transparently the most powerful mutant, after a few games your Otrimi deck just becomes a Starrix deck as playing it and recurring it to mutate again is the best thing you can be doing at the table. Perhaps consider not even running starrix if you want your deck to play out more organically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I think the new zombie pre con is getting some very positive reviews with most people saying it's an incredibly good deck straight out of the box and is a ready made zombie tribal deck. Plus magic is just full off a massive amounts of awesome zombies you can swap in and out to customize the deck.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna buy the zombie deck literally for the sake of having something to play casually. I have a couple precons that I've more or less untouched and may just keep that way for the sake of just opening a box and playing without worrying too much.

Also can I just say I really like the new deckboxes they're using (if they've continued to use the Strixhaven ones)? They're so much better at being deck boxes, take up way less space, and looks like you can even sleeve the deck up and it'd still fit.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Framboise posted:

I'm gonna buy the zombie deck literally for the sake of having something to play casually. I have a couple precons that I've more or less untouched and may just keep that way for the sake of just opening a box and playing without worrying too much.

Also can I just say I really like the new deckboxes they're using (if they've continued to use the Strixhaven ones)? They're so much better at being deck boxes, take up way less space, and looks like you can even sleeve the deck up and it'd still fit.

Can confirm strixhaven deck boxes fit a single sleeved deck. I don't double sleeve, so not sure if that would fit

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Grevlek posted:

Can confirm strixhaven deck boxes fit a single sleeved deck. I don't double sleeve, so not sure if that would fit

Plus you can order the minimal packaging version of these decks on Amazon for cheaper than the big, flashy packages.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Framboise posted:

It does indeed fit a whole deck, though a bit snugly. I'm using dragon shields, and I'm not sure if they're any thicker than pro-mats.

A little frustratingly, this means I can't fit in the matching life wheel and protective cardboard card that comes with them, but that's not a huge problem or anything. They're much better than the old boxes, where you couldn't keep the lid on if you'd sleeved the deck.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rythe posted:

Plus you can order the minimal packaging version of these decks on Amazon for cheaper than the big, flashy packages.

35 each before tax! I bought both. Looking forward to playing both day after my birthday.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Which 2 did you get?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

There's only the two Innistrad precons currently. I'm sure WoTC will pop out two more for the Vampire Wedding.

But I did order the minimal packaging for Strixhaven when they first came out as well. Those plain cardboard boxes are pretty useful to keep decks or dice in, decently sturdy.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Vampire and spirit precons are confirmed for Crimson Vow, yeah. I think it's kind of a bummer that werewolves are the only tribe getting left out, but Maro said DFCs cost more to make and collate and there just isn't the budget to do it with these products. :shrug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The thought of trying to make a werewolf deck in commander seems so incredibly fiddly to me, having to manage all the flips and Day/Night cycles etc, I feel like my cards wouldn’t always be doing what I needed them to do unless I have my enablers in play and I can protect them.

Contrast that with the Innistrad tribal deck I do have, Vampires, which is both my most linear deck and also my most successful casual deck. I won like 9/10 games with it before I needed the mana base for my Extus deck, but I fully intended to rebuild it when the Vampires block set released. The deck is absurdly simple, just play vamps with +1/+1 counter text and essentially any 3 vampires in the deck leads to a massive board of unblockable life-linking 5/5s or whatever, you must clear my board every turn or I will end you.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Werewolves kind of seem like a pain in the rear end to me too, but sometimes you just want to howl at the moon. I'm not personally that wild on werewolves though, my brainworms just like to see full cycles.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Werewolves are super cool in concept but actually playing them, let alone in fuckoff huge board states, sounds like a real pain. DFC tribal just doesn't translate well to a larger scale format like Commander.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I barely like playing Werewolves on Arena, where it keeps track of everything for me.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I kind of want to make a Immerwolf/Toravold Werewolf deck, but we'll see how my pulls play out. Not looking to drop serious cash on an experiment like that.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Same.

I've spend much of lockdown building commander decks and I was looking at a rg stompy but could find a commander or style to build around that excited me. Werewolves maybe just what I'm looking for as I like tribal decks.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
going from day -> night also seems like kind of a pain in the dick in a 4 player game, and way too easy to revert back to day as well

i guess you could help keep it from reverting with Rule of Law effects, but still, getting to night sucks

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That's a good point. Maybe it's better this way after all.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Dysgenesis posted:

Same.

I've spend much of lockdown building commander decks and I was looking at a rg stompy but could find a commander or style to build around that excited me. Werewolves maybe just what I'm looking for as I like tribal decks.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/_NXOJ9itvECNPiUGF2Koug

I think Neyith is awesome fun but not an amazing commander for R/G stompy.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The thought of trying to make a werewolf deck in commander seems so incredibly fiddly to me, having to manage all the flips and Day/Night cycles etc, I feel like my cards wouldn’t always be doing what I needed them to do unless I have my enablers in play and I can protect them.

Contrast that with the Innistrad tribal deck I do have, Vampires, which is both my most linear deck and also my most successful casual deck. I won like 9/10 games with it before I needed the mana base for my Extus deck, but I fully intended to rebuild it when the Vampires block set released. The deck is absurdly simple, just play vamps with +1/+1 counter text and essentially any 3 vampires in the deck leads to a massive board of unblockable life-linking 5/5s or whatever, you must clear my board every turn or I will end you.

I hope Arena gets multiplayer soon, because I really enjoy my Yorion bounce a trillion things every endstep HB deck. But trying to play that in person is likely to waste a ton of time, make a bunch of enemies, and I'd probably forget most of the triggers anyway.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

pseudanonymous posted:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/_NXOJ9itvECNPiUGF2Koug

I think Neyith is awesome fun but not an amazing commander for R/G stompy.

Thanks. That's just the stuff, I've never seen that card before, jumpstart really flew under the radar. Plus art by Magali is a bonus.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Dysgenesis posted:

Thanks. That's just the stuff, I've never seen that card before, jumpstart really flew under the radar. Plus art by Magali is a bonus.

Here's an article I wrote about the deck if you want:

https://www.goonhammer.com/cf-lets-fighting-love-neyith-of-the-dire-hunt/

Just to forewarn you that deck is about a year old so it doesn't have the most recent cards in it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Xenagos does the red/green "big creature" thing pretty well, too. This is a deck for a "high powered casual" or whatever group. Intentionally doesn't run tutors, almost everything has some sort of evasion to get the Big Hits in, and it just swings really hard.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/1EZG46M3uESgy9VbefnzLA

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

hey mom its 420 posted:

now niv-mizzet reborn, that's a card

You are correct, my good goon. :getin:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/FERzTM51D0Sq_GKq7hwPBw

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Aranan posted:

Xenagos does the red/green "big creature" thing pretty well, too. This is a deck for a "high powered casual" or whatever group. Intentionally doesn't run tutors, almost everything has some sort of evasion to get the Big Hits in, and it just swings really hard.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/1EZG46M3uESgy9VbefnzLA

I just built a slightly lower powered Xenagos deck myself and it's really fun. Pretty brutal one on one. The most fun play I've made is ramping up to a kicked Grunn the Lonely King and making him a 40/40.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My mind has been brewing up a Syr Carah, the Bold deck using Dragon's Approach, that new any number spell from Strixhaven. Maybe using a Thrumming Stone and some scrying effects to just poo poo a ton of them out at once. I'm not sure quite how it would work yet, though.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Grapeshot, all of the red rituals, all of the earthquake effects, pyrohemia and any equipment that grants Indestructible should be auto includes, maybe the new impulse draw storm card from mh2 as well

Edit: also any damage doubler/tripler and things like WAR Jaya and Torbran

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dumb question: How do these DFC's work in commander decks? Could I put a Brutal Cathar which has a red flip side into a GW deck?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Dumb question: How do these DFC's work in commander decks? Could I put a Brutal Cathar which has a red flip side into a GW deck?

The color identity of double-faced cards looks at BOTH sides, so no, Brutal Cathar can only go in RW-inclusive decks.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

serefin99 posted:

The color identity of double-faced cards looks at BOTH sides, so no, Brutal Cathar can only go in RW-inclusive decks.

Thanks!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bust Rodd posted:

Did you keep a list around for this? I could probably approximate it with a bit of trial and error but starting from something that works well is always nice

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

serefin99 posted:

Yep, which is why Archangel Avacyn is the commander of boros boardwipes.dec

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Heath posted:

My mind has been brewing up a Syr Carah, the Bold deck using Dragon's Approach, that new any number spell from Strixhaven. Maybe using a Thrumming Stone and some scrying effects to just poo poo a ton of them out at once. I'm not sure quite how it would work yet, though.

You would probably also want to consider Locket of Yesterdays, Pyromancer Ascension, and Harness the Storm.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

serefin99 posted:

It's also the reason you can't put Westvale Abby into just any old tokens deck, as the backside is black.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Any suggestions for cuts/adds for a Malcolm/Breeches pirates deck? https://deckstats.net/decks/189822/2239955-pirates#show__spoiler

I'm trying to make the deck powerful while keeping a lot of pirate themed stuff. i play 1v1 on 40 life often with my friends, so the plan is for this to be playable in that environment while also scaling up for multiplayer, which the commanders really help with.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Have you considered partnering Malcolm with Vial Smasher instead? Access to black gives you some really cool poo poo like tutors/reanimate for the Buccaneer (including the Pirate tutor guy!), March of the Drowned, all the powerful/memey Treasure stuff like Revel and Pitiless, and Cover of darkness to go with your ophidian effects. Vial Smasher is also pretty nasty in 1v1. It just sucks she isn’t a pirate :(

EDIT: I've been tinkering with the idea of having a powerful Pirate deck that's good but not quite CEDH level for when my normal group is around the LGS, and here's what I have so far:
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/WS_5idkYF0qYmV4miprfIg

Wincons are either beating down with pirates (GSD, Xorn and Galazeth aren't Pirates, but they're pirates imo), Treasure memes with Revel/Mechanized Production, or assembling the Malcolm/Buccaneer combo.

fadam fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 18, 2021

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Do you need a B/W commander to run Blind Obedience? I put it in my Sythis deck, but now I'm doubting it's legality for color identity.

Edit: has hybrid b/w mana in it's activated ability, but 1w cmc

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 18, 2021

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Blind Obedience is a W card, because Extort is the only actual text; the reminder text that lists B/W hybrid mana isn't considered for color identity. So you're all good on Sythis.

edit: Any card with reminder text that lists a mana cost doesn't have that considered for color identity, but I can't think of any ability besides Extort that has colored mana in the reminder text)

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Infinite Karma posted:

Blind Obedience is a W card, because Extort is the only actual text; the reminder text that lists B/W hybrid mana isn't considered for color identity. So you're all good on Sythis.

edit: Any card with reminder text that lists a mana cost doesn't have that considered for color identity, but I can't think of any ability besides Extort that has colored mana in the reminder text)
Interesting. So if Extort wasn't a Keyword and they were just writing out this ability in not reminder text it would considered for the color identity? Like how Kenrith/GOLOS are WUBRG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

th3t00t posted:

Do you need a B/W commander to run Blind Obedience? I put it in my Sythis deck, but now I'm doubting it's legality for color identity.

Edit: has hybrid b/w mana in it's activated ability, but 1w cmc

Oddly, no. The B/W hybrid cost is in the rules text, which is not considered to be part of the card's text. You don't need black to play it, only white. Same with Crypt Ghast needing only black to go in a deck.

https://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2013/02/extort-and-commander/