Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I use Free Commander and Altap Salamander (which used to be Servant Salamander in the long ago).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
as of a few days ago, this has been happening to some windows, like when I go to save something or close a program, text is just not there.

the options all work still, and it's only in windows things, not other programs that it happens. would this have been caused by some update issue or something? It's occasional, it doesn't happen all the time.

edit: wait, no, it happens to steam friend notification popups too. is this a motherboard death sign or something? really hope, obviously, that it isn't and is something fixable on the software side.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 11, 2021

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That looks like a graphics card software (driver) or hardware problem to me

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just pushed through every possible windows update including optional ones and I guess one of those fixed it because it's not happening anymore.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What are the best file copy programs, preferably with a GUI these days? I know there's Robocopy but haven't really played around with them in a bit.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Medullah posted:

What are the best file copy programs, preferably with a GUI these days? I know there's Robocopy but haven't really played around with them in a bit.

teracopy? But like, "copy files" is way too vague of a task to have any recommendations that are worth much.

Repeat copy or backup task? IMO it's worth figuring out robocopy and making a batch script, or get actual backup software. Copying and need verified logs for documentation? Pay for teracopy. Just need to copy files? Ctrl-c ctrl-v.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sorry, should have been clearer. Got a bunch of files I need to move from one directory to another, one time usage. There will be some duplicates that I don't want it to overwrite. I actually just fired up Teracopy, forgot I had it, so that will likely do what I need.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Sorry, should have been clearer. Got a bunch of files I need to move from one directory to another, one time usage. There will be some duplicates that I don't want it to overwrite. I actually just fired up Teracopy, forgot I had it, so that will likely do what I need.

Windows is not MacOS. It doesn't overwrite by default.
And for copying files there is only Zuul Total Commander.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

These days, I even think you can tell windows No to All when it asks about overwriting. Somehow.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Got a request on a remote employee monitoring program. The goal would be to have desktops streaming to a TV (probably connected to a laptop) with hopefully Voice 2 text running to capture conversations as well in the closed captioning on each stream. Want to have a display to glance at and see what everyone is working on at any point in time.

The current "draft" plan is to have everyone call into an individual Teams call with a few guest accounts, then use the laptop to get those all one one screen and then connect the laptop to the display.

Is there an easier way to do this? It feels very "tin-can and string" quality. I only need like 6 desktops connected in this way.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FunOne posted:

Got a request on a remote employee monitoring program. The goal would be to have desktops streaming to a TV (probably connected to a laptop) with hopefully Voice 2 text running to capture conversations as well in the closed captioning on each stream. Want to have a display to glance at and see what everyone is working on at any point in time.

The current "draft" plan is to have everyone call into an individual Teams call with a few guest accounts, then use the laptop to get those all one one screen and then connect the laptop to the display.

Is there an easier way to do this? It feels very "tin-can and string" quality. I only need like 6 desktops connected in this way.

Why in the heck would you do this? Employees aren't trustworthy, or something for legal purposes? I know that's probably a topic for a different thread, but this was an issue at my company a few years ago that some managers wanted to micro manage their employees by knowing exactly what they were doing, and those employees had far lower productivity and morale than the ones who weren't being watched.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Some managers can't handle having complete control of their charges.

Contextually, if I worked somewhere that tried to do that I'd be out the door so loving fast.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No idea if it does the audio portion, but there is purpose-built software for that sort of thing.

As an example:
https://www.veriato.com/

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

AlexDeGruven posted:

Some managers can't handle having complete control of their charges.

Contextually, if I worked somewhere that tried to do that I'd be out the door so loving fast.

Seconding. Every line of that post was a new "what the gently caress, how are you not refusing this on ethical grounds" (which, of course, tends to be "I need the money").

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

FunOne posted:

Holy poo poo no way would I support that, also check your local wiretapping laws.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Hah, I'd knew that'd set some people off. Its a small and cheap rear end call center. This is in addition to the recorded calls and intended to be for training purposes, but yes, I agree it is very Orwellian.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

FunOne posted:

Hah, I'd knew that'd set some people off. Its a small and cheap rear end call center. This is in addition to the recorded calls and intended to be for training purposes, but yes, I agree it is very Orwellian.

You should first check if it's actually legal in your area. And get in writing the request to do this.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FunOne posted:

Hah, yeah this might be loving illegal and, hah, I wouldn’t do this.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

MikusR posted:

You should first check if it's actually legal in your area. And get in writing the request to do this.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
wouldn't it be legal if they agree to it in their employment?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
If I understand their current Teams-based idea, it sounds like the employees would have to initiate or join a call and then explicitly share their screens. As gross as it is to monitor employees that closely, at least it wouldn't be a secret.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I don't know what it's like in the US but up here in Canada I've never had a phone call to a teleworker/call center that wasn't "recorded for quality control and training purposes" or something to that effect. If it's spying on people's work-from-home environments that's loving vile though (just generally speaking, not talking specifically about the goon tasked with doing this).

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

I don't know what it's like in the US but up here in Canada I've never had a phone call to a teleworker/call center that wasn't "recorded for quality control and training purposes" or something to that effect. If it's spying on people's work-from-home environments that's loving vile though (just generally speaking, not talking specifically about the goon tasked with doing this).

To be clear, the request is to stream their desktop, not their work space. Nobody is crazy enough (yet) to ask for video of the actual employee. They already have the hubstaff desktop screenshot BS to deal with.

From what I can find the solution to this is one of the many employee / student desktop monitoring solutions that are out there and push the voice to text part onto the VoIP system.

Which will make it a big enough project to get it killed.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Is there any way to keep a program running in windows when all of it's windows are closed, like how Macs do? I'm sifting through a bunch of excel sheets and the couple seconds it takes to initialize adds up.

E: crammed an empty window under the taskbar, which is working, but still interested if there's any way to not need to.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 21, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

Which will make it a big enough project to get it killed.

:getin:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Is there any way to keep a program running in windows when all of it's windows are closed, like how Macs do? I'm sifting through a bunch of excel sheets and the couple seconds it takes to initialize adds up.

E: crammed an empty window under the taskbar, which is working, but still interested if there's any way to not need to.

There are programs that allow you to minimize desktop apps to the System Tray, which more or less accomplishes the same thing. I haven't used any of them, though, so I can't vouch for a particular one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
In Windows VLC, what controls which folder it opens by default? Mine always wants to open a file from deep within my NAS regardless of what I actually want to open.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
hello alzheimer's thread, I vaguely remember reading about a "tiling window manager" sort of thing for windows where you'd hold modifier keys and drag where you wanted the window to go, and it divided the screen into presized "chunks" that your movements would snap to. It wasn't DisplayFusion but something along those lines in terms of the ability to do monitor splitting and so on.

I think the one I saw looked like an amateurish or powertoys sort of site rather than a big commercial product (but if there's an actual github project or a commercial product that does that, fire away). And this was for Windows not Linux. I absolutely cannot find this in my history.

does that tickle any neurons for anyone?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any good recommendations for an alternative to Sticky Notes? Preferably something lightweight that doesn’t sync to the cloud or other accounts like gmail. All I need is a scratchpad for notes/to-do lists on the desktop that doesn’t lose functionality when I lose internet connection.

Was pretty happy with sticky notes but apparently it has some issues with One Note and some notes just disappear into the ether.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

hello alzheimer's thread, I vaguely remember reading about a "tiling window manager" sort of thing for windows where you'd hold modifier keys and drag where you wanted the window to go, and it divided the screen into presized "chunks" that your movements would snap to. It wasn't DisplayFusion but something along those lines in terms of the ability to do monitor splitting and so on.

I think the one I saw looked like an amateurish or powertoys sort of site rather than a big commercial product (but if there's an actual github project or a commercial product that does that, fire away). And this was for Windows not Linux. I absolutely cannot find this in my history.

Windows 11 does this

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I remember seeing something like this on donationcoder. Screencorral? Possibly spelled “screencoral.”

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I thought a company like Stardock did something like that, but nothing on their website.
I actually started casually looking for a program like this a few months back and would also like to find out.

e: here's that DesktopCoral

https://www.donationcoder.com/software/mouser/other-windows-apps/desktopcoral

OgNar fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 22, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Found it - it’s FancyZones!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/fancyzones

https://i.imgur.com/mi0N1Fq.mp4

(not exactly what I remember but pretty sure i was confabulating this with the new windows 11 stuff)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 22, 2021

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Paul MaudDib posted:

I use Dell Display Manager with my Dell monitor, no idea if it works with others

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any good recommendations for an alternative to Sticky Notes? Preferably something lightweight that doesn’t sync to the cloud or other accounts like gmail. All I need is a scratchpad for notes/to-do lists on the desktop that doesn’t lose functionality when I lose internet connection.

Was pretty happy with sticky notes but apparently it has some issues with One Note and some notes just disappear into the ether.
Most recently I've used KNot, though you might try e.g., Classic Sticky Notes and see if it works for you? On a recent attempt, it didn't for me (on Windows 10), but I didn't try too hard or spend any time debugging/troubleshooting. I've tried doing a similar thing manually in the past before too, copying over the old Windows 7 StikyNot.exe and support files from a working Win7 box to Windows 10. I can't recall why I didn't do it yet (or try) on this machine...

KNot has the advantage over old/Windows 7/"Classic" Sticky Notes that the notes are just plain text files that you can easily export/read outside the app, etc., etc.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Paul MaudDib posted:

On Windows 10 Power Toys does this and it's great. It has several other useful utilities bundled as well, all of which can be enabled / disabled individually.

Windows 11 apparently has a version of window snapping built-in, though I haven't used it yet.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is how it looks on Windows 11, just have to hover over the "maximize" button:

Also, the MS PowerToys are now available on the Microsoft Store as well: http://aka.ms/getPowerToys

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

This is how it looks on Windows 11, just have to hover over the "maximize" button:

Also, the MS PowerToys are now available on the Microsoft Store as well: http://aka.ms/getPowerToys

Wow this alone makes me want Windows 11

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I had to install StartIsBack for Windows 11 http://startisback.com/tbd/ to get rid of some annoyances, like not being able to move the taskbar to the sides of my screens or the superfluous Explorer context menu that sits in front of the old Windows 10 context menu and doesn't have the options I need (like extracting with 7zip). Other than that, it's fine. The new Start menu always showing a forced "Recommended" section even when you have that feature disabled is weird as well.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I sure hope its just a matter of 7zip etc updating their shell integrations cause that would be absolute hippo dung if you can no longer add things like that