Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

They're almost certainly going to revisit this, since *everyone* else in the world is already doing boosters. Since Im a computer toucher and have returned to isolating I feel good that they'll approve boosters by the time my 8mos past 2nd dose have passed. If not, "This is my first shot" seems to unlock those doors.

Sorry to all the essential workers being thrown into the pit of Moloch.

Are they? I can't think of any countries doing third boosters outside of the super old and immunocompromised/cancer patients, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Sorry to all the essential workers being thrown into the pit of Moloch.

Homers can kiss my gasping rear end

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Are they? I can't think of any countries doing third boosters outside of the super old and immunocompromised/cancer patients, etc...

Fair. Israel is offering boosters to everyone, rest of the world is still doing old/immunocompromised.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yikes, the FDA vote against was 16 to 2, basically overwhelmingly turning down EUA of boosters for the general population. The FDA advisers criticized Pfizer for presenting data that was not peer reviewed nor previously submitted for FDA review, and for conflating "protection" with the presence of antibodies, which would be a massive oversimplification. Apparently the data they presented showed that the 2 dose regimen is still extremely effective at preventing severe illness in the general population, with the exception of old or immunocompromised people.

They then voted unanimously for EUA boosters for old people and other at risk groups, apparently the data showed a clear benefit there but not in most other adults.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Fair. Israel is offering boosters to everyone, rest of the world is still doing old/immunocompromised.

Yeah Israel is the one exception. It's also not guaranteed everyone else does, or does at the same time. A lot of places outside of the US/Israel didn't follow the shot schedule the same way. Like up here in Canada the average time between doses was 2-4 months, we mixed AZ and mRNA, hell we used the two mRNA shots interchangeably for most of the summer. The effects on immunity could vary by a fair bit and it wouldn't really make sense to immediately jump on the Israel data and assume it'll follow the same trajectory everywhere.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If in most people boosters really aren't more effective than 2 doses after 8 months then that's actually really good news.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

QuarkJets posted:

If in most people boosters really aren't more effective than 2 doses after 8 months then that's actually really good news.

Not if the efficacy of two doses at eight months is itself not great.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Platystemon posted:

That's fair, more specifically the FDA pointed out that the efficacy was already really great at 8 months, but not if you're old.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

QuarkJets posted:

"" posted:

In a presentation Friday, Dr. Sharon Elroy-Preiss of Israel’s Health Ministry argued that if officials there had not begun distributing boosters at the end of July, the nation likely would have exceeded its hospital capacity. Health officials began to see a trend, she said, of individuals in their 40s and 50s who were fully vaccinated become critically ill with Covid.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/17/fda-panel-begins-voting-on-pfizers-covid-booster-doses-rejecting-shots-for-general-public.html

I know I'm Veruca Salt'ing here, but I WANT IT I WANT IT

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
It's very likely that non-olds don't need the boost. Simpson's paradox is hard at work in all these efficacy reports, illustrated very nicely in this worked example showing (i) you have to stratify by age to understand what's going on, and (ii) the boosters really do help old people and don't really do anything for young people: https://www.covid-datascience.com/post/what-do-new-israeli-data-say-about-effect-of-vaccines-boosters-vs-death-critical-severe-disease. It's based on the Israeli data.

Also lol at the goons already scheming to get an explicitly non-FDA approved COVID prophylactic. Where have we seen that kind of behavior before??

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Yikes, the FDA vote against was 16 to 2, basically overwhelmingly turning down EUA of boosters for the general population. The FDA advisers criticized Pfizer for presenting data that was not peer reviewed nor previously submitted for FDA review, and for conflating "protection" with the presence of antibodies, which would be a massive oversimplification. Apparently the data they presented showed that the 2 dose regimen is still extremely effective at preventing severe illness in the general population, with the exception of old or immunocompromised people.

They then voted unanimously for EUA boosters for old people and other at risk groups, apparently the data showed a clear benefit there but not in most other adults.

I posted in the CSPAM thread but to clarify this. It's an advisory panel made of a bunch of different "experts" raging from University Professors to some members of different HHS Agencies: https://www.fda.gov/advisory-commit...isory-committee

They vote to provide recommendations on the EUA/Full approval for vaccine related products. In this case the 3rd booster from Pfizer.

Hilariously enough the FDA's CBER Director, Peter Marks (the guy who actually approves the booster) reminded the committee that the FDA does not need to follow their recommendations. I tried to find some stats on how often the FDA follows the recommendations and it's around ~75%. The most recent big time the agency ignored the advisory committee's recommendations was when they approved the Alzheimer's drug.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s an advisory of an advisory.

Comirnaty is a fully approved pharmaceutical product. Doctors can and do use their knowledge of medicine and their patients to prescribe drugs off-label all the time. One fifth of all prescriptions in the U.S. are written for off-label uses.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Big City Drinkin posted:

It's very likely that non-olds don't need the boost. Simpson's paradox is hard at work in all these efficacy reports, illustrated very nicely in this worked example showing (i) you have to stratify by age to understand what's going on, and (ii) the boosters really do help old people and don't really do anything for young people: https://www.covid-datascience.com/post/what-do-new-israeli-data-say-about-effect-of-vaccines-boosters-vs-death-critical-severe-disease. It's based on the Israeli data.

Also lol at the goons already scheming to get an explicitly non-FDA approved COVID prophylactic. Where have we seen that kind of behavior before??

Good call out, but deaths aren't the only metric to consider given the prevalence of long covid in even mild infections. I'm not worried that I need a booster to not die, or stay out of the hospital. My best bet there is to stay healthy and exercise.

Avoiding long cv is my big goal, at least until there are some decent anti-virals on the market.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Why would you get the vaccine when you are the picture of health?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Avoiding long cv is my big goal, at least until there are some decent anti-virals on the market.
:same:

Also avoiding making my newborn sick with it. The NICU nurse in the healthcare stories thread posted an X-Ray of a severe covid kid’s lungs a few weeks ago and got a litany of “holy gently caress” responses. I can’t read X-Rays but would like healthcare professionals not to say “holy gently caress” if they ever see test results from my kid.

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izbLrN41BBA

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

so how are those schools doing?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

They're almost certainly going to revisit this, since *everyone* else in the world is already doing boosters.

Rest of the "First World" you mean? I can assure you Latin America has absolutely not granted 3rd doses to anyone, including olds/immunocompromised. They haven't even finished vaccinating eligible adults.
I don't think they've even approved 12-17 year olds, even, and at least the Mexican president said they're not going to vaccinate children under 12, because Big Pharma is bad or something (I think they don't want to spend money).

And when epidemiologists are saying like 70-80% of the world has not had a single dose, I'm not sure who you're referring to

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ben shapino posted:

so how are those schools doing?

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

My town decided to go maskless this year. A kid in middle school died from covid last week. Now they are doing masks again (for the next 3 weeks at least) kind of grim it had to come to that.

"let's not intentionally kill any kids for a few weeks"

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

1500 people died of-or-with-Covid today… in Florida alone

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1438703947804393473?s=20

And that number from Florida probably isn't even the real number

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Got my Pfizer booster today and am so grateful.
I SO HOPE that a year from now this thread gets back to like page 6 etc

Please please

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
When they’re talking about approving boosters are they referring to a 3rd shot of the original vaccine or giving people something that has been tailored to newer variants?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I believe just third of regular. Haven't read about any new vaccines approved here in the us.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gay picnic defence posted:

When they’re talking about approving boosters are they referring to a 3rd shot of the original vaccine or giving people something that has been tailored to newer variants?

They’re talking about the former.

The latter is in clinical trials in various forms, not under FDA discussion yet.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1429878195420024832

An extremely long Twitter thread about exactly this. TLDR - efficacy against severe illness is still holding up although against moderate (and possibly asymptomatic) is fading, and fading faster for mRNA than for AstraZeneca.

Also as official FRONTLINE MEDICAL STAFF - i.e. I point people at chairs in a vaccination clinic - I apparently qualify for a booster, so that'll be fun.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1429878195420024832

An extremely long Twitter thread about exactly this. TLDR - efficacy against severe illness is still holding up although against moderate (and possibly asymptomatic) is fading, and fading faster for mRNA than for AstraZeneca.

Also as official FRONTLINE MEDICAL STAFF - i.e. I point people at chairs in a vaccination clinic - I apparently qualify for a booster, so that'll be fun.
Oh man. Making conclusions based on questionable extrapolations like that is just very bad practice.

I'm gonna finagle my way into a booster, don't get me wrong, but "these two extrapolations cross in the future" just ain't a headline.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So what Im seeing is "go get hosed up on more vaccines all the time"

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Now that 5G has been rolled out all over the nation, Biden is waiting for the deep state to signal. and witha flip of the switch -boom- instant giant swollen balls for every vaccinated man

jokes on him I already got a couple of grapefruits hanging. ladies love my huge balls

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
My second shot was a 3 and a half day humdinger. Wonder what a third booster will feel like

^^^^im just here waiting like a chump for the switch to flip

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
These are Pfizer boosters only by the way. Moderna is still up for discussion at some nebulous future date. Same with J&J folks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Good call out, but deaths aren't the only metric to consider given the prevalence of long covid in even mild infections. I'm not worried that I need a booster to not die, or stay out of the hospital. My best bet there is to stay healthy and exercise.

That page also looks at serious and critical cases; when you split up the age groups people younger than 60 saw basically no benefit to a booster when it came to serious, critical, or deadly infection. They saw massive benefits from the primary 2 doses, but not from a booster.

The page doesn't look at mild or asymptomatic cases but there's reason to believe that this trend would hold for those classifications as well, e.g. that a booster probably wouldn't be beneficial for most people

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Oh man. Making conclusions based on questionable extrapolations like that is just very bad practice.

I'm gonna finagle my way into a booster, don't get me wrong, but "these two extrapolations cross in the future" just ain't a headline.

I don't think anyone is saying that Pfizer is definitely less protection than AZ v infection, just that it may possibly become so based on the trajectories.

I haven't finished reading through the thread, but I'd like to note that this part is definitely incorrect:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1429878213086482434

"Leaky" vs "all-or-nothing" vaccine processes do have implications for population-level dynamics and long-term attack rates, but they definitely don't show up as declining vaccine efficacy (at least not on this scale of time). Vaccine efficacy is almost always defined and modeled over short intervals of time (or as an instantaneous risk with survival analysis models). That goes double for looking at changes in VE over time!

E: The quoted CS professor's explanation is nonsense because either way more and more people are going to getting COVID as exposures continue, same with unvaccinated people. VE is just the ratio of the rates at which that happens.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 18, 2021

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1439010557034598401?s=20

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1438699283038015489?s=20
https://twitter.com/JamesSuzenbooks/status/1438890671801200640?s=20
https://twitter.com/saintamourmi/status/1438880501893316614?s=20

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1438661912363950080

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

These are Pfizer boosters only by the way. Moderna is still up for discussion at some nebulous future date. Same with J&J folks.

The agency doesn't have to have an advisory committee discussion over every approval. I doubt they'll have one for Moderna if Pfizer's booster is approved.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Why are they rolling this contagious guy out without a mask on? Did they get into the ambulance with him like that? :psyduck:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

rt4 posted:

Why are they rolling this contagious guy out without a mask on? Did they get into the ambulance with him like that? :psyduck:
The linked article is from January, so this is probably a different time where he went to the ER than his current covid case.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

This guy sux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stickman posted:

E: The quoted CS professor's explanation is nonsense because either way more and more people are going to getting COVID as exposures continue, same with unvaccinated people. VE is just the ratio of the rates at which that happens.

:yeah:

It degrades the “only 0.00000000042069% of vaccinated persons have tested positive!” numbers that the usual suspects were fond of repeating till recently, but those numbers were always worthless.