Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
All of the studies I've seen with Moderna show that outside of the people most susceptible to covid anyways (old and certain comorbidities), moderna shots are still holding strong without as significant a drop as pfizer.

Pfizer should have probably been branded as a three shot series from the getgo. Moderna does have some drop off, but it's mostly in the high risk group which it sounds like they're recommending get boosted. Deaths and severe cases are still the domain of the unvaccinated. The severe breakthroughs and very rare deaths are almost exclusively people 70+.

The C-SPAM covid thread has been freaking out for months, and it isn't all justified. Some stuff they're spot on, but I don't know here.

I did see something a few days ago re: long covid in that in many cases it isn't permanent damage - rather the person is still suffering from covid in the gut and other places. Vaccination tends to resolve these issues.

The issues related to lung damage and any damage caused by blood clots isn't going away, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I checked in on the cspam thread a week ago and saw a guy concern trolling about the long term effects of mRNA to the point where somebody said they were really scared they made the wrong choice to get vaccinated

A+ good job

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I’m just going to tel them my immune system sucks…which isn’t entirely untrue. Especially since Modernia seems to be the best overall.

Well...

https://twitter.com/megtirrell/status/1438965256441761792?s=19

Edit: healthcare folks included

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pfizer should have probably been branded as a three shot series from the getgo. Moderna does have some drop off, but it's mostly in the high risk group which it sounds like they're recommending get boosted. Deaths and severe cases are still the domain of the unvaccinated. The severe breakthroughs and very rare deaths are almost exclusively people 70+.

What really sucks is that there's no magical "if you have Xamount of antibodies, you're fine" because of T-cells and crazy immune system poo poo. And it's not like you can stick a human immune system into a salt-spray aging chamber, it basically all has to be study data.

Fallom posted:

I checked in on the cspam thread a week ago and saw a guy concern trolling about the long term effects of mRNA to the point where somebody said they were really scared they made the wrong choice to get vaccinated

A+ good job

jesus gently caress, this is facebook bullshit :cripes:

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 17, 2021

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Fallom posted:

A+ good job

Lol I've avoided cspam for a while but fun to pop into D&D to speculate if it's the land mods forgot. Last time I checked they weren't even discussing news just yelling about insults they had sent or were planning to send via PM.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol to us with J&J

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I haven’t heard anything about going to get a booster shot yet but cspam has people asking about giving fake names to get one and it’s just a really radical place to be

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the covid thread is fine if you wanna see someone melting down about covid peep the last few pages of epstein chat

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol to us with J&J

My wife just went in to a Pharmacy and just said she never had any of the vaccines (despite having the J/J) and they gave her a Pfizer no questions asked. She even just finished her second dose a week or so ago. She was just never happy with the results that came out for J/J vs the mRNA ones.

I'd be fine personally with just getting Pfizer, but I seem to recall Modernia should be coming soonish.

With that said....please let me vaccinate my kids FDA...please.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Stultus Maximus posted:

Looking at least at a BCD for not wearing an undershirt

Good ol' big chicken dinner. Maybe he'll go out like Yukio Mishima.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Guess I'll be getting a booster soon to enable Bluetooth headphones

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Good ol' big chicken dinner. Maybe he'll go out like Yukio Mishima.

Was going to write Confessions of an Oak Cluster, but ate all his crayons.

The lead contaminated ones

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Canada approved the Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca vaccines, so the names got changed to the brand names

Moderna is SpikeVax. I got that SpikeVax juice and feeling fine.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Secret Talks and a Hidden Agenda: Behind the U.S. Defense Deal that France Called a ‘Betrayal’

In meeting after meeting with their French counterparts, U.S. officials gave no heads-up about their plans to upend France’s largest defense contract

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/17/us/politics/us-france-australia-betrayal.html

After the last few years a pissing/shouting match with the French almost seems quaint. :v:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm awfully curious just broke the camel's back and led to the cancellation. Do diesel subs really suddenly make less sense in the theater somehow? Did the French royally bungle the contract over the last five years? What the gently caress is Australia, a country with no nuclear industry to speak of, going to do to fuel and maintain a bunch of nuclear reactors (beside pay out the rear end for someone else to do it)? Did UK/US just offer a massive bribe?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

US gives them a stronger ally and better boats? Seems straightforward-ish.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
France recalled their US and Australian ambassadors over it, so they're definitely pissed.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Getting pissed is just what the French do. They'll get over it. What else are they going to do?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Pick a fight and duel with croissants?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm awfully curious just broke the camel's back and led to the cancellation. Do diesel subs really suddenly make less sense in the theater somehow? Did the French royally bungle the contract over the last five years? What the gently caress is Australia, a country with no nuclear industry to speak of, going to do to fuel and maintain a bunch of nuclear reactors (beside pay out the rear end for someone else to do it)? Did UK/US just offer a massive bribe?

There was a lot of shitfuckery with the tender. Japan had a offer that was better and cheaper. The problem guy that wrote the tender left defence and was snapped up by the French, pretty much told them the exact stuff they needed to do to win the contract, despite it being for a worse sub and costing a hell of a lot more.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:france: The American soldiers must leave!
:911: cool, cool, can we borrow a shovel?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cugel the Clever posted:

i thought australia had a ton of uranium

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Cugel the Clever posted:

Submarine reactors you buy once and they sit in their tube for 30+ years with fairly routine maintenance but no refueling. Really no issue there.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Business Insider has a pretty good write up on what made the Aussies pull the plug. Apart from major cost overruns there seems to have been some, uh, slight differences in work culture.

Business Insider posted:

While officials in France appeared blindsided by the move — with French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian accusing Australia of a "stab in the back" — the deal had been on shaky ground almost since its inception in 2016.

Extensive budget disputes that meant that the deal wasn't formally signed until 2019, three years after Australia announced its deal with France's Naval Group, in which the government is the majority shareholder.

The project to replace Australia's aging Collins-class submarines was supposed to cost $36.5 billion, Politico reported, but the cost had nearly doubled by this year to an estimated $66 billion. 

The deal had been further complicated by Australia's insistence on Naval Group completing much of the construction work in Australia.

This part is a bit funny:

Business Insider posted:

An example of the gulf in working practices was when Australian officials were left "stunned" to hear discussion of "la rentrée," the process by which French workers would get ready to restart work after the whole company stopped working in August for a month-long vacation

French officials in return were likewise said to be surprised that Australian officials expected meetings to begin on time, citing a French phenomenon known as a "diplomatic 15 minutes" whereby people were considered to be on time as long as they arrived within 15 minutes of the start time.

The report also mentioned French workers requesting more understanding of their need for long lunch breaks.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

shame on an IGA posted:

:france: The American soldiers must leave!
:911: cool, cool, can we borrow a shovel?

I'm gonna look dumb as hell, but what's this a reference to? if It's the times article, I'm not dealing with a got dang paywayll

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm gonna look dumb as hell, but what's this a reference to? if It's the times article, I'm not dealing with a got dang paywayll

paraphrasing a conversation between Dean Rusk and DeGaulle when france withdrew from NATO in 1966, one of the all time great :iceburn:s of history

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Business Insider has a pretty good write up on what made the Aussies pull the plug. Apart from major cost overruns there seems to have been some, uh, slight differences in work culture.

This part is a bit funny:

I learned about this tradition when we were sundowning the Group II E-2C in 2019 and selling some of the old stuff to France. The simulator guys were scrambling to get it packed up and out of there by the end of July, because otherwise the process was going to grind to a halt until September.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m on Frances side I want long lunches

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
What you mean your country doesn't just take off one to two months in the middle of summer to relax and vacation? What sort of uncivilized ravel are you?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Haaland is moving the department of the interior back to DC. I forgot turmp relocated them to Grand Junction in a bid to gently caress up the department.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

What you mean your country doesn't just take off one to two months in the middle of summer to relax and vacation? What sort of uncivilized ravel are you?

The reformation was a mistake.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Re-interment of dead WWII from French soil to US

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i thought australia had a ton of uranium
It does, but no actual power generation, but for a single reactor for medical isotope creation. Or at least according to this thread, not something I otherwise have the slightest knowledge about :
https://twitter.com/EngageStrategy1/status/1438727145124139009?s=20

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'm in awe of his bad a name "spikevax" is

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Best Friends posted:

I'm in awe of his bad a name "spikevax" is

Compared to whatever "Comirnaty" is?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Cugel the Clever posted:

It does, but no actual power generation, but for a single reactor for medical isotope creation. Or at least according to this thread, not something I otherwise have the slightest knowledge about :
https://twitter.com/EngageStrategy1/status/1438727145124139009?s=20

Is it just a public opinion thing, or is there anything preventing Australia from putting together nuclear power generation? If I'm not mistaken, that continent is about as tectonically stable as it gets so the risk should be minimal.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Compared to whatever "Comirnaty" is?

wiki posted:

Comirnaty "represents a combination of the terms COVID‑19, mRNA, community, and immunity".
Oh hey, my theory that it was named by a single corporate idiot in an impenetrable fog of cocaine and buzzwords was almost certainly correct.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It's a product that everyone needs, but some people are afraid of it. Some of those who are afraid of it are afraid of anything that punctures their skin. Forgettable would be a massive, massive improvement imo. It's a massive own goal. Like, arguably the worst possible name

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
aussie nukes are going to have to train in us navy classes. god loving help them.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Pick a fight and duel with croissants?

For insult like this may they bust out their most dangerous military weapom, the stale baguette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
are yall gonna start calling them 'freedom fries' again