Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

How many fan/unofficial routes have been made, and are they enough/polished to justify like a Gold Edition or sequel?

Falconier111 posted:

I regret to inform you you may have missed some opportunities in the past

Oh for sure, frankly I'm very comfortable with that and have been for years. It's just funny to see the contrast between different peoples' expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Same, this is just a good friend being friendly.

As someone who has anxiety and had the occasional crush in my teen years, I can assure you that this is indeed how interest is expressed. Remember how Hanako sat next to Hisao rather than Lilly in Act 1? That was also a sign of interest. Also, if you read between the lines during the shopping trip scene, it's clear that Lilly carefully avoids telling Hisao that Hanako said he was attractive (carefully choosing the word "healthy" instead).

But, to go into a little more detail, for someone who has social anxiety, it can be ruinously difficult to broach the topic of romantic involvement with someone. At best, you have the fear of rejection, but at higher levels of self-consciousness, you may also be worried about making the other person uncomfortable, or concerned that it's not an appropriate time or place, and to keep it brief, worries and fears can rapidly pile up and paralyze you. Which is why what a person with anxiety might do instead is make an effort to just spend time with whoever they're into, inviting them places, generally trying to send a signal of "Hey, I'm going way out of my comfort zone so we can be together, I'm clearly into you, please take the hint and express either interest or lack thereof". When someone continues to be infuriatingly oblivious, the healthy move is to assume the latter and move on (well, the actual healthy move is to spit it out, but if we were capable of that, there wouldn't be any need for the aforementioned runaround). Fortunately, this is a problem that one can grow out of, as age usually brings with it a certain bare minimum amount of confidence. But for someone Hanako's age, asking Hisao out like that is the anxiety equivalent of a Jumbotron proposal.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tulip posted:

By contrast I'm a big extroverted oaf and nothing that has happened in this route so far has looked like somebody who is romantically or sexually interested in another person. This is firmly in the level of interest showing that I'd consider platonic at most but more likely "acquaintance who is lightly curious about me."

I was gonna make a big ol post again but

EclecticTastes posted:

As someone who has anxiety and had the occasional crush in my teen years, I can assure you that this is indeed how interest is expressed. Remember how Hanako sat next to Hisao rather than Lilly in Act 1? That was also a sign of interest. Also, if you read between the lines during the shopping trip scene, it's clear that Lilly carefully avoids telling Hisao that Hanako said he was attractive (carefully choosing the word "healthy" instead).

But, to go into a little more detail, for someone who has social anxiety, it can be ruinously difficult to broach the topic of romantic involvement with someone. At best, you have the fear of rejection, but at higher levels of self-consciousness, you may also be worried about making the other person uncomfortable, or concerned that it's not an appropriate time or place, and to keep it brief, worries and fears can rapidly pile up and paralyze you. Which is why what a person with anxiety might do instead is make an effort to just spend time with whoever they're into, inviting them places, generally trying to send a signal of "Hey, I'm going way out of my comfort zone so we can be together, I'm clearly into you, please take the hint and express either interest or lack thereof". When someone continues to be infuriatingly oblivious, the healthy move is to assume the latter and move on (well, the actual healthy move is to spit it out, but if we were capable of that, there wouldn't be any need for the aforementioned runaround). Fortunately, this is a problem that one can grow out of, as age usually brings with it a certain bare minimum amount of confidence. But for someone Hanako's age, asking Hisao out like that is the anxiety equivalent of a Jumbotron proposal.

this succinctly and concisely says what I was going to in a less confusing, non-ramble based form.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

EclecticTastes posted:

There's also the problem that if you do get the expression of interest that you're looking for your anxiety can ironically make you rationalise it away as them "just being friendly".

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Dire Lemming posted:

There's also the problem that if you do get the expression of interest that you're looking for your anxiety can ironically make you rationalise it away as them "just being friendly".

Many a hapless potential couple spends months or years fruitlessly circling each other until one of them cracks or, more likely, they part and end up kicking themselves later on.

Explaining this feels… Weird. I kind of thought all this was obvious to everybody and some people just grew past it early, but on further inspection I’m not sure it holds up.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

This is all very funny given how lovesick Hisao seems to be over Hanako.

Psycho Lawnmower
Apr 1, 2011

For the cow-borrowing glory and infinite wisdom of Elmal! Cheese for everyone!
This is all the weirder, because socially speaking, this Hisao is romantically speaking the same Hisao from Route 1? Usual quips, pining over someone in thought snippets but doesn’t get the words out…

Also, in terms of the romantic aspects, this “circling around each other” is why I find it hard to get into romances, even if they have none of the really annoying “we will conflict for the stupidest of reasons that any one conversation between reasonable adults can fix.”

All the dancing around doesn’t make much sense to me as an autistic person. The only person.who can help you realize your feelings, express them and draw them out is the other person, but the people just aren’t saying anything!

Hanako does have a pass here-of course.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
This sort of thing is exactly why I simplify things by saying I'm just incapable of romantic relationships. A romantic relationship would require a confluence of numerous factors, any one of which strikes me as nearly impossible on its own, let alone all of them happening at the same time:
  1. I would need to have romantic feelings for someone. This isn't impossible, but it's very unlikely, because "platonic" is not a distinction in my mind. Liking someone is liking someone, more or less.
  2. I would need to recognize and acknowledge those feelings. I'm really bad at this and have no desire to try to improve.
  3. I would need to accept that those feelings are okay. I just fundamentally think this is untrue and don't intend to budge on that.
  4. The other person would need to have similar feelings for me. This, I think, is actually impossible.
  5. The other person would need to be in a situation where those feelings don't cause insurmountable problems, like an existing relationship. This is exceptionally rare in my experience. And no, the "love conquers all" thing is not a solution. I'm not going to accept part 3 if there are complications involved.
  6. The other person would need to be willing to express those feelings in some way. I guess this isn't too much of a stretch if everything else were to happen, but then there's the inescapable question of why this person isn't already in a relationship with someone more suited to them than me. And no, I'm not going to make the first move. See below.
  7. I would need to understand whatever they did as expressing romantic interest. That's never going to happen. And yes, I'm aware of all the clichés we've seen in this story and every other romantic story ever. It's not a matter of being unable to interpret people's actions toward me. It's more that nobody will ever do those things, and when they do, it makes me really uncomfortable. People being attracted to me creeps me out. Also, I invite people to meals and give them gifts or flowers, rarely, with absolutely no romantic interest, if it seems like the right thing to do.
  8. I would need to see the relationship as more desirable than whatever we've already got. That's a huge barrier, because friendships are rare enough as it is that I see no reason to throw one away.
  9. Sexual preferences are just always going to be an obstacle. I don't intend to go into any further detail on the subject, and that in itself is illustrative of the problems in this area.
  10. And if the infinitesimal slice of infinitesimal probability actually did manage to materialize all of those factors, there's still everything you were already thinking of when I mentioned relationship issues. All we've done so far is clear the barriers to enter all the problems everyone else has to deal with anyway.
And supposing I manage to get that far... in my own mind, I've already failed at this relationship. I don't care if you think this is a context where failure doesn't exist. I've defined it in terms of myself before I've even started. A relationship involving me is not successful, and that's all there is to it. Yes, it's self-defeating thinking, and yes, I'm aware of that. Why do you think I made a list?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nidoking posted:

3. I would need to accept that those feelings are okay. I just fundamentally think this is untrue and don't intend to budge on that.

Why do you think this is fundamentally untrue?

I promise I won't try to talk you out of that belief. I'm just really curious.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Falconier111 posted:

You mean the leaked beta? … Just wrap it in spoiler tags, I guess, and don’t talk directly about the changes between it and stuff we haven’t covered yet :shrug:

Right, what I meant to point out is that in the beta Hanako route was supposed to be a straight up bad end trap, with the only way to successfully romance her being to start on Lilly's route and then pick a secret option to switch. Which IMHO would have been pretty dumb and condescending, and while the actual route we got is much better some of that overly cautious approach to the topic of romancing Hanako still transpires here, if only in how goony Hisao is acting right now.

Tulip posted:

How many fan/unofficial routes have been made, and are they enough/polished to justify like a Gold Edition or sequel?

A shitload, of varying qualities, as seen on the ks.renai.us forums (spoilers there, obviously). I haven't read any in years but I think the better ones aren't that far off in quality. There are also plenty that just eschew Hisao as a romantic lead and pick another Yamaku student, or Iwanako as his female counterpart, etc.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

YaketySass posted:

A shitload, of varying qualities, as seen on the ks.renai.us forums (spoilers there, obviously). I haven't read any in years but I think the better ones aren't that far off in quality. There are also plenty that just eschew Hisao as a romantic lead and pick another Yamaku student, or Iwanako as his female counterpart, etc.

The KS fandom is extremely active, even today; the KS subreddit still sees several posts a day almost a decade after release. You can find all kinds of good stuff on the website/fanfiction archive of your choice.

Also, 4LS broke up a few years after release and it’s members publicly forswore not to try and make a true sequel, though a few people have made spiritual successors over the years.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Quackles posted:

Why do you think this is fundamentally untrue?

The entire rest of the list, honestly. I see a lot of potential negative consequences of having romantic feelings and no positive ones, so that's pretty much the definition of unacceptable. Again, that's just my perspective and only applies to me. I know there are people out there who have managed to make romance and relationships and all of that stuff work for them. I don't believe I can, so I believe it would only cause harm if I tried. I have no motivation to change that, so it's my reality.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nidoking posted:

The entire rest of the list, honestly. I see a lot of potential negative consequences of having romantic feelings and no positive ones, so that's pretty much the definition of unacceptable. Again, that's just my perspective and only applies to me. I know there are people out there who have managed to make romance and relationships and all of that stuff work for them. I don't believe I can, so I believe it would only cause harm if I tried. I have no motivation to change that, so it's my reality.

I see.

Good luck.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Nidoking posted:

This sort of thing is exactly why I simplify things by saying I'm just incapable of romantic relationships. A romantic relationship would require a confluence of numerous factors, any one of which strikes me as nearly impossible on its own, let alone all of them happening at the same time:
  1. I would need to have romantic feelings for someone. This isn't impossible, but it's very unlikely, because "platonic" is not a distinction in my mind. Liking someone is liking someone, more or less.
  2. I would need to recognize and acknowledge those feelings. I'm really bad at this and have no desire to try to improve.
  4. The other person would need to have similar feelings for me. This, I think, is actually impossible.
  5. The other person would need to be in a situation where those feelings don't cause insurmountable problems, like an existing relationship. This is exceptionally rare in my experience. And no, the "love conquers all" thing is not a solution. I'm not going to accept part 3 if there are complications involved.
  6. The other person would need to be willing to express those feelings in some way. I guess this isn't too much of a stretch if everything else were to happen, but then there's the inescapable question of why this person isn't already in a relationship with someone more suited to them than me. And no, I'm not going to make the first move. See below.
  7. I would need to understand whatever they did as expressing romantic interest. That's never going to happen. And yes, I'm aware of all the clichés we've seen in this story and every other romantic story ever. It's not a matter of being unable to interpret people's actions toward me. It's more that nobody will ever do those things, and when they do, it makes me really uncomfortable. People being attracted to me creeps me out. Also, I invite people to meals and give them gifts or flowers, rarely, with absolutely no romantic interest, if it seems like the right thing to do.
  8. I would need to see the relationship as more desirable than whatever we've already got. That's a huge barrier, because friendships are rare enough as it is that I see no reason to throw one away.
  9. Sexual preferences are just always going to be an obstacle. I don't intend to go into any further detail on the subject, and that in itself is illustrative of the problems in this area.
  10. And if the infinitesimal slice of infinitesimal probability actually did manage to materialize all of those factors, there's still everything you were already thinking of when I mentioned relationship issues. All we've done so far is clear the barriers to enter all the problems everyone else has to deal with anyway.
And supposing I manage to get that far... in my own mind, I've already failed at this relationship. I don't care if you think this is a context where failure doesn't exist. I've defined it in terms of myself before I've even started. A relationship involving me is not successful, and that's all there is to it. Yes, it's self-defeating thinking, and yes, I'm aware of that. Why do you think I made a list?

Not gonna lie, most of this applies to me as well.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 57: Whispered Touch

Katawa Shoujo OST ~ Passing of Time

Katawa Shoujo OST - School Days

Finally reaching the classroom after the usual walk from the dormitories, I step inside. My eyes immediately turn to the third seat from the left in the back row; Hanako's seat. It's empty, and after glancing around the classroom, it looks like she isn't here yet. The two girls from the newspaper club are here in the two seats to the left of Hanako's, as are Shizune and Misha, but that's about it. We exchange morning greetings before I take my seat. I have to admit that this is a bit of a relief. This gives me at least a few more minutes to think. Not that I haven't been doing so previously; ever since our trip to town, Hanako's been on my mind. I still don't know what to make of my relationship to Hanako. I like her, I can admit that much to myself. I want to protect and shield her from the pain she feels. I really don't think my feelings are just those of friendship any more.

But that said... I feel like I don't even know her. If I made a move on her, how would she take it? Is she in an emotional state that allows her to make a reasonable decision about a relationship? How would she cope with anything that might happen afterwards? There's also the possibility that I'm just completely misinterpreting Hanako; not a difficult thing to do with someone whose social skills seem to be so underdeveloped.

The sound of footsteps comes up to the door, making me perk up. It ends up just being Miki. She barely acknowledges my existence when I accidentally make eye contact with her. I'm about to look away, but another person comes in not long after she takes her seat.

(Silence)

I feel myself freeze as I see Hanako enter. This isn't a rational reaction, but I have no idea about how I should act or what I should say to her. For a moment, our eyes meet. And then, just as quickly, she looks away and moves to her seat without saying a single word.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Afternoon

As is now usual for the period following classes, my face is buried deep in a book that I find thoroughly uninteresting. Studying is not something that comes naturally to me. I didn't study a lot before coming to Yamaku, and until now I've largely managed to coast through on talent alone. It's frustrating that I can't do that any more. Judging by the faces of the other few students in the library, I don't think I'm alone in my distaste for this. Misery loves company, I suppose. I decided to spend lunchtime with Hanako, since we haven't had lunch together for a while now. I may as well have spent the time studying, though; aside from pathetically small snippets of smalltalk, there was barely a word said between us. Why does she keep doing this to me? I just want to protect her, to be there for her, but every time I feel like we're coming closer, we end up further away.

HANAKO: "A-are you busy...?"

(Sudden Silence)

HISAO: "Hanako!?”

My head whips around in surprise, causing her to retreat in fright. That was bad timing. If I hadn't been thinking about her at that very moment, I probably wouldn't have been nearly so startled.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Afternoon

HISAO: "Sorry, you just startled me."

I find myself staring at her longer than I should, so I go back to the text lying on the table in front of me. I feel more like I'm just staring at the words rather than actually reading. I get the feeling Hanako can notice this as well, so I sigh and close the book.

HISAO: "What's up?"

HANAKO: "I was just... w-wondering what you were r-reading..."

She looks a little downcast after my reaction to seeing her. Giving up on the prospect of getting any more work done, I get up and return the book to its place on a nearby shelf.

HISAO: "Just an English textbook."

HANAKO: "H-has it helped?"

HISAO: "It helped me realize that I don't like English, yeah."

Hanako gives a small giggle. I may muse on the strange state of our friendship, but I do know that such little gestures are things that I wouldn't see were I not at least some distance closer to her than when we first met. I look at her for a moment, thinking about what I do and don't know about her. It's a slightly depressing topic.

HANAKO: "I-is something... wrong?"

(Sudden Silence)

If I want to know more about her, maybe I should stop being so evasive about it. Talking with Lilly as an equal rather than being constantly in fear of causing her to become upset worked fine, so I should just try a straightforward approach with Hanako as well.

HISAO: "Hey Hanako, do you mind if I ask you a question?"

HANAKO: "I-I don't mind."

HISAO: "I... want to know what your life was like. Your life before coming to Yamaku."

She hesitates. I briefly consider backing off, but she seems to be taking the question quite seriously. I sit and watch her, silently letting her take her time. She's not making eye contact with me, and looks almost as if she's arguing with herself into letting herself open up to me more. Her answer finally comes in a stiff, almost reluctant nod. She looks far more tense than she did before I'd asked.

HANAKO: "Okay. B-but in in return... you have to t-tell me about your life as well..."

I nod, and follow her as she begins to walk out the library so we can talk.

:eng101: The next sequence has them walk through the campus, switching backgrounds as they hit different locations. I won’t make note of changes because they’re literally just scenery. :eng101:

Katawa Shoujo OST - Lullaby of Open Eyes

By now most of the students have already left the main building, so apart from a few people hovering around club rooms, the hallways are largely empty.

HISAO: "I guess... we'll start with coming to Yamaku. Let's see... I was in the hospital when my parents first told me about Yamaku Academy. The doctors told me I shouldn't go to my old school any more. My parents agreed and persuaded me to apply for Yamaku, even though it would mean living away from them for the first time."

HANAKO: "It must have... been hard for you."

HISAO: "Well... yeah, I have to admit that it was. My parents both work long hours and full-time, so having to live reasonably independently wasn't anything new to me. It was the fact that I was going to a school for disabled students that hit hardest, I think. And you?"

A small group of chatting girls passes us as we near the stairs, with Hanako pressing herself tightly to my side until we reach the ground floor. She doesn't usually come this close while just walking in the school, so I'm left a little put off.

HANAKO: "The staff at the o-orphanage offered me some options on what I could do. Middle school... hadn't been good, so I thought that Yamaku might be better. It was isolated, and I thought it might be easier to get by here with most of the others being disabled."

It's pretty ironic that the reasons Hanako looked forward to Yamaku are the exact reasons I hated the idea. To me, it felt like I was being shunted somewhere away from society, and everyone I knew. To Hanako, that was probably an inviting prospect.

HISAO: "What was life like at the orphanage?"

HANAKO: "It was... okay. The staff there were nice, and they took care of us. The children there didn't talk to me much, but I didn't really want to talk with them either, so I didn't mind. The orphanage had a little library, so I started to read to pass the time. The staff didn't mind it, because it made me easier to handle than many of the other children."

HISAO: "You didn't make any friends there?"

HANAKO: "No. I think... my life was on hold... during that time. I knew that, but I didn't mind."

To think her life was on hold for all that time, though... depending on when the fire happened, that was a huge chunk of her life. No parents, no friends, apparently no relatives... We walk through the door into the courtyard. I expect to need to avert my eyes from the sun, but by now it's well into sunset. Hanako's eyes keep flicking to me, so I look away from her for a bit.

HANAKO: "What was it like in the hospital?"

I quickly clear my thoughts and try to refocus them. I hesitate for a bit, but I know that I have to tell her. We're close enough for her to feel comfortable telling me this, so it's only fair that I reciprocate.

HISAO: "It was okay at times, but at others, it was pretty bad. At the beginning, everyone sent their sympathies, and came to visit often. It was just like breaking an arm or something. Meeting all my friends was one of the good times. Iwanako came in often as well; more often than anyone else. But there were bad times, too. When my friends slowly stopped visiting, I began to realize how grave my situation was. It reminded me that this wasn't just a broken limb, but that I was now a different person than before. Even the times Iwanako would spend with me became torturous. By the end, we were reduced to silence, whereas before, she'd be talking constantly.

But that's how Iwanako always was. She may have been a fragile person, but she would talk constantly to try and hide that fact. Not about anything in particular, just... talk.

HISAO: "I think the three lowest points would have been when my parents told me I wouldn't be going to my old school any more, my birthday passing while in the hospital, and... when Iwanako left for the last time."

We leave the school buildings behind us as we begin to follow the main path through the gardens. There may have been the odd bystander in the school buildings, but outside, we're practically alone.

HANAKO: "What was your middle school like?"

HISAO: "I liked it. I grew up in a really metropolitan area, and the middle school was nearby, so it was pretty crowded. I didn't mind it, probably because I'm used to being in crowds and around lots of other people. I got good marks, and I played soccer with my friends. I spent a fair bit of time hanging out with them after school as well. Did get teased a bit over my hair, though."

HANAKO: "Your hair?"

I grimace a little as I put a hand over my hair to cover it.

HISAO: "I'd keep getting tufts and strands that refused to flatten or stay where I wanted them, and my mother wouldn't let me just get my hair shaved. It had a habit of popping out, no matter how much I tried to brush it down."

HANAKO: "It still does, a little."

HISAO: "I was worried I'd get that reply."

HANAKO: "S-sorry, I didn't mean to...!"

I give a mild laugh and wave it off.

HISAO: "It's fine, I know it still does."

It feels strange to have someone act so interested in my past. If it were anyone else I'd think they were just acting polite, but that's something I really don't think Hanako would do. Or if she did, she'd do it so badly that it would be obvious.

There are a number of girls in the common room on the ground floor, and Hanako presses herself to my side once more as we pass them. I expect her to break off, but instead she continues to cling onto me as we walk towards the stairway. Something about the way she's holding onto me feels... different from the usual.

(Silence)

I'm left deep in thought as we walk up the stairs and down the hallway. It's only when we stop that I look up and realize that I've been following her without question.

HISAO: "Why did we come to your dormitory room?"

She looks straight at the door, without so much as a glance in my direction.

HISAO: "Hanako?"

She moves to answer, but stops herself. Instead, she silently breaks from my side, opens her door, and steps inside. I look up and down the hallway, a bit lost as to exactly what I should do. Shrugging, I decide to follow her since I don't have any reason to do otherwise. Hanako stands in the middle of her room and looks straight at me. It's unnerving when she does this, as it's such an unusual action for her. I open my mouth to speak, but she preempts me.

HANAKO: "Could you... close and lock the door?"

Hanako's hand reaches for her chest, grabbing her blouse at her heart. I turn and lock the door shut, then freeze. The atmosphere is beginning to feel quite strange. This feeling is only made more profound when I hear the curtains being pulled behind me. It's going to be night soon. We're a guy, and a girl, in a bedroom. She's closing the curtains, and I'm shutting and locking the door. She can't... she can't really have that in mind... can she?

I gulp and turn around very, very slowly. Hanako is in the center of the room, but hasn't turned back to face me.

HANAKO: "You told me about your past, so I have to tell you mine."

She takes a deep, shuddering breath, and pauses for a number of seconds. Her hands move to her ribbon and begin to tug, all but confirming my thoughts.

HISAO: "H-Hanako..."

HANAKO: "P-please... don't say anything."

I obediently stay hushed as she slips off her ribbon and continues to unbutton her blouse, before working the clip on her bra. The process is slow. Perhaps it just feels slow because of what she's doing. I'm not sure. Frozen to the spot, all I can do is watch as Hanako, hands trembling, unclips her skirt and lets it drop to the ground.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Painful History

Finally, she takes her blouse in her hands and draws it off, her bra falling from her shoulders. And so, Hanako stands in the middle of the room all but bared, save for her stockings and underwear. My eyes are immediately drawn to the scarring on her back. The skin on her right side is of a similar texture to that of her face, but it's also stretched taut and covering a much larger area. The scarring is by far the worst on the shoulder, buttock, and thigh. Just as my heart attack redefined my life... this is the event that redefined Hanako's. If I'd seen this when I first met her, I'd have been shocked. Not only at the sight, but also at the idea that something like this was survivable. But after having had time to get used to the idea, and after seeing the scars on her face, hands and collar, my reaction is more measured. My reaction right now is not due to her scarring, but to her body.

HANAKO: "The fire happened when I was eight years old. It was night, and we were sleeping when it started."

Hanako's voice trembles, the shaking of her blouse giving away the fact that her hands are doing just the same.

HANAKO: "I... curled up into a ball... when the fire swept over me. My mother... tried to shield me. Th-that's the only reason... I lived..."

Hanako's eyes begin to moisten, her voice cracking under the combined pressure of exposing herself to me like this, and reliving those painful memories from so long ago. I want to say something, anything, to make her feel better. I can't, though. I feel completely useless when faced with a situation like this. She's forcing herself to come so close, yet it's at times like this that I feel most distant to her.

HANAKO: "I'm sorry... for making you see this."

There's no point in denying the obvious. I think what I should say now, and what Hanako wants me to say now, is the truth. What I genuinely, honestly, believe.

HISAO: "It doesn't matter. You're a wonderful person, Hanako. Your body doesn't change that."

She looks at me for a long time, her breathing uneven as she tries to remain steady amidst the emotions we're both feeling. It feels less like she's looking at me than she's looking through me. I slowly walk towards her, and gently place my hands on her shoulders as she lets go of her blouse. She gasps a little; not in fright, but in simple startlement. Being so close to her causes my mind to become a jumble of feelings. The scarring on her shoulder, plain to see and leather-like to the touch, conflicts strangely with her otherwise soft skin and silky dark hair. Hanako is a girl, with all that entails. She's taller than usual for a woman, but still has curves in all the right places. The nape of her neck, just visible thanks to her hair slung over her shoulder, is alluring.

HANAKO: "I know... that I'm not pretty... like Lilly. I just... wanted you... to see me. The real me."

HISAO: "I've already seen the real you, though. You didn't need to take off your clothes for that.

:eng101: We cut back and see Hanako’s sprite is now topless, just as Emi’s was. :eng101:

Her lips are open, just a little. She lets out a sharp breath as, without thinking, I breathlessly lean forwards and press my lips to hers. The kiss only lasts for a fleeting moment before our faces part, our breathing quick and nervous. The feeling of Hanako's mouth lingers, and her eyes remain locked to mine.

Trembling a little myself, I remove my tie and begin undoing the buttons of my shirt. Hanako remains standing where she is, looking at the ground in front of her rather than watching me undress. On the one hand, I'm thankful for that. I've always been somewhat self-conscious of my body, but my scarring has made that quite a lot worse. On the other, though, this atmosphere feels very strange.

My shirt falls to the floor in a heap, as untidy and crumpled as Hanako's blouse and skirt. Hanako's entire body visibly flinches at the sound of the zipper on my trousers being pulled down. My trousers join my shirt on Hanako's floor next to the bed, as do my socks in short measure. I hesitate before taking off my boxers, and end up leaving them on. They represent one last hurdle I don't think I can overcome quite yet. Sheer embarrassment stops me, along with not wanting Hanako getting even more worked up. My unease about the situation has also left me needing my own stimulation.

HISAO: "Hanako..."

She gives a nod without so much as glancing at me, and makes her way to the bed as I do. She walks as if her legs were wooden sticks. I'd find it amusing if I weren't doing exactly the same thing...

:eng101: … The intercut is shrimp on a grill.

The two awkwardly try to have sex. It doesn’t seem to go very well. Hisao tries to focus on Hanako, but he ends up getting caught up in himself. Hanako gives clear consent, but the narrative makes it unclear whether she’s enjoying herself or just in pain, with evidence both ways. They finish and he topples over next to her.
:eng101:

(Silence)

The only sound in the room is that of our breathing. The sweat that had accumulated on my body feels uncomfortable. We're both physically and emotionally exhausted, and a complete mess all over. My vision slowly begins to return to normal as I continue to stare at the ceiling, but my limbs still feel like jelly. I try to concentrate on my chest, and find its beat irregular and mildly painful.

(Heartbeat Sound)

This is a dangerous time. I have to think this through and not panic, lest I make my situation any worse. With a huge effort, I take control of my erratic breathing, forcing myself to make long, deep breaths.

(Heartbeat Sound Stops)

I count half a dozen before I start to feel physically calm again, and press my hand to my chest to assure myself. My heartbeat's back to normal. I'm okay.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Aria De l’Etoile

I turn my face towards Hanako, who's already looking at me. Her expression looks pretty dazed, but underneath that, there's definitely a look of concern. She's realized what happened.

HISAO: "I'm... okay. Everything's... back to normal."

I find myself barely able to get the words out between breaths. I don't think sex would tire a normal body out this much, so I have no doubt my condition's at least partially at fault. Why did my body have to do this right now?

All thoughts of my heart, though, are pushed aside as I see the wide smile forming on Hanako's face. As always, I smile back without another thought. Hanako's smile has always been infectious in its almost childlike sweetness and earnesty, something that sets her apart from anyone else I know. Right now... we don't need words. Everything we want to communicate to each other, we can share just fine without them.

Katawa Shoujo OST ~ Passing of Time

Katawa Shoujo OST - Stride

HISAO: "Mmh..."

My eyes feel heavy as they slowly open, the light from outside making me blink a bit to let them get adjusted. My body feels like lead, and my head feels just as heavy. Waking up to an unfamiliar ceiling is an uncomfortable feeling. It reminds me of the first time I awoke to the dimpled white tile ceiling of the hospital. It's only after spending a few seconds staring up at it that I realize where I am. This is Hanako's dormitory room.

I feel as though my heart stopped again, as the events of last night rush through my head, blood rushes to my cheeks, and I shut my eyes once more. There's very little point to getting myself worked up this early though, so I try to push such things out of my mind for now. I roll my head to the side to see if Hanako's where she was when I drifted off to sleep. All that's there now is an empty space on the bed, and the room beyond. I sluggishly sit up and rub my eyes, before pinching the bridge of my nose and looking around the room.

The only person here is me. I'm still bereft of my clothes, and after a quick scan of the floor for them, I notice that they're neatly folded in a corner of the room. Try as I might, I can't see Hanako's anywhere. The foil packet for the condom's been removed too, presumably put into the bin. With a great yawn, I get myself out of bed and quickly look for some underwear. I grimace a little at the prospect of putting my boxers back on after yesterday's efforts did a job on them, but I don't have much choice. Taking advantage of the fact that I have some time without anyone around, I get myself dressed for the coming school day in short order.

And then... I'm alone. Without anything more to busy myself with, my mind becomes focused on the fact that I'm standing in another person's bedroom after we spent the night together, but there's not a single sign of her around. My gut proves to be more helpful than my brain at working out this riddle. With a loud growl, it reminds me that she may well just be getting breakfast. I would have liked to wake up next to her, but... maybe it's a good thing that I have a few moments alone.

Hanako's room, as always, is quite bleak in appearance. There are precious few decorations, and practically no personal artifacts that aren't hidden away in cupboards and drawers. She's lived here for three years, but the room looks as if it's barely been occupied for a single day. I shouldn't overthink this. She might just like living this way, as some do. Having the ability to put such low stock in physical possessions does have its advantages, but even so, it feels a little disconcerting given her past. She said she viewed herself as having had her life on hold while at the orphanage. She certainly lives as if she still does, but... after what happened last night, it's pretty hard to imagine that she still thinks that way.

The sound of the doorhandle cracks through my thoughts, and I turn to face it. Sure enough, Hanako comes through and shuts the door behind her. She has what seem to be two microwaved instant meals in her hands, so this is a little difficult.

HISAO: "Good morning, Hanako."

HANAKO: "M... 'morning."

She gives a little bow before making her way to her desk, setting down both plates. I can now see them to be small satay dishes, their contents steaming, with a fork stuck inside the rice of each. I give thanks to her for bringing them in, and we each take one and get down to eating. She sits on her desk chair, while I sit on the side of the bed. I don't like talking while eating, so the silence between us isn't annoying in and of itself. It's the fact that it only exists because we don't quite know what to say to each other that's off-putting. Hanako glances towards me every so often as she eats. I only notice her doing so because I'm doing just the same thing.

We're eating together as if we were a couple. We even had sex last night; a first for the both of us. Something feels... wrong, though.

Maybe that's why we can't say even a word to each other as we finish our plates and leave them in the sink. Maybe that's why we leave Hanako's room without holding hands, or making smalltalk.

Maybe that's why it feels as if we're further apart than we've ever been before.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 4, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

At least he got satay.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Man's gotten lost in his own head.

At least the mediums insistence with everything escalating straight to sex isn't working out here at least. They both need time to get used to the idea of the others attraction and body by the sound of it (hard to say without the sex text).

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Oof.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
People have mentioned how the sex scenes in this game are usually rather wholesome but this is a purposefully uncomfortable exception.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The image before "My eyes are immediately drawn" is missing the transcription.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Was there any mention of condoms in the last route? Was that there just to reassure us that Hanako planned this? Because this has been a super uncomfortable route.

The BBQ shrimp was hilarious enough to make it all worth it though.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

rchandra posted:

The image before "My eyes are immediately drawn" is missing the transcription.

And that's key connective tissue I missed :negative:.

Decoy Badger posted:

Was there any mention of condoms in the last route? Was that there just to reassure us that Hanako planned this? Because this has been a super uncomfortable route.

The BBQ shrimp was hilarious enough to make it all worth it though.

The concept was broached and dealt with during the first H-scene in the last route, I just excised it during :pervert: removal. There wasn't a smooth way to redact it here.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
They used a grilled shrimp for the SFW image? Oof.

It's just... I've heard that some people call Hanako "bacon girl", which is... hmm. :crossarms:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
From what I remember reading once or twice, apparently the image selected for the filter is random.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I thought it was a 4chan style joke at first

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

A Bystander posted:

From what I remember reading once or twice, apparently the image selected for the filter is random.

Really? It's been awfully on the nose in all cases so far.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
That was an incredibly emotionally intimate scene. Two people figuratively and literally baring it all.

As for the rest, well...two virgins in a bed.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I appreciate that the sex scenes are clumsy and uncomfortable at first. My experiences with h-games are minimal, but in all of the others I've seen, no matter how much of a goober the MC is in clean scenes, once the dicks come out he turns into a Casanova capable of bestowing orgasms with a touch.

There's one other thing I appreciate about the sex scenes, but that's for a later route.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

They're really taking their time with the romance bit.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 58: Adulthood

:eng101: Have an early update because I’m under the weather and don’t want to bother waiting until the afternoon. :eng101:

Katawa Shoujo OST - Stride

We enter the classroom together, neither of us so much as glancing at each other. Just after we do so, I realize that this may have been a mistake. Shizune lifts her eyebrow at the sight, her suspicions raised. We reach the center aisle between the classroom's desks and look to each other. I'm not quite sure what I should say. Does she want me to address her as a girlfriend? I didn't think our relationship was...

Oh. That's why this feels so strange.

HISAO: "S-see you."

HANAKO: "Okay."

I awkwardly hold up a hand as we part and take our seats at our respective desks. I can't even look back to her out of embarrassment. I feel like the gulf between Hanako and I is because of me.

Shizune begins to make her way towards me, but then Mutou enters the room. I'm thankful for his arrival being so well-timed, drawing Shizune and her questioning away, to wait for another time. I wouldn't have been able to answer her, anyway. I like Hanako, but I've never told her what my feelings for her are. Hanako never said she saw me as anything beyond a friend, either. Yet, despite that, we slept together.

(Silence)

The bell to signal the beginning of lunch rings out. Mutou is taken a little off guard, his chemistry lecture being cut off midsentence, much to his chagrin. For the entirety of the class, his rambling has passed through one ear and out the other as my mind mulls over the question of Hanako. I can't get her out of my mind, and by now I've managed to wind myself up about it. I realize that she never said yes to what we did. She didn't say no either, but... would she have been able to? She's extremely submissive at the best of times, and no doubt it took her a gargantuan effort to show me her scarring. I decide to try and at least make conversation with her. That would be better than the monosyllabic communication that's been the most we've managed between each other so far today.

I walk to her desk intending to chat, but she awkwardly blushes and looks down even before I've come up to her.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Caged Heart

I take a breath to speak, but find myself lost for words. What in the world should I say to her? Hearing approaching footsteps, I turn to see Shizune and Misha already making their way towards us, no doubt with the intent to start asking troublesome things. A couple of other classmates are looking at us and gossiping between themselves as they throw sidelong glances. They must also have noticed Hanako and I coming in together earlier. I open my mouth to reassure Hanako, but she preempts me.

HANAKO: "I... I...”

HANAKO: "Ivegottogodosomething!"

She gets out of her chair and dashes for the door. A couple of the books and pens that were on her desk are sent falling to the floor in her rush. Not many people seem to care about this event. A few look around to see what all the fuss is about, but go back to what they were previously doing soon after. I'm left despairingly looking at the door that Hanako disappeared out of. The idea of running after her passes through my mind, but I'm fairly sure that Hanako can run faster than I can. And besides... what would I say to her once I caught up, anyway? Eventually, I simply crouch down and begin picking up the items that had fallen to the ground from her desk. I feel low in every way, reduced to this as students pass by me on their way out of the room.

I feel a tap on my shoulder. I look up to see Shizune and Misha looking at me, curiosity about the situation written on their faces, mixed with a slightly apologetic look at the idea that they were partially responsible for what just happened.

SHIZUNE: "..."

MISHA: "Hicchan, if we can help at all..."

I just shake my head. This isn't a matter for them, and from Shizune's expression and the tone of Misha's voice, I think they know the same thing. Shizune acknowledges my response, and gives a solemn bow before making her way out of the room. Misha soon follows her out, obediently following her role as Shizune's shadow. I pick myself up, books and pens in hand, and place them inside Hanako's desk. With the classroom now empty, I end up just leaning against her desk and thinking to myself in silence

It feels like there's a complete emotional disconnect between Hanako and I. We haven't known each other for all that long, and despite wanting to start going out with her, I really don't know that much about how Hanako views things. I've been studying as hard as I can for exams, but I still don't feel like I have any real sense of direction behind it. I tried to be a friend to Hanako, even if I couldn't tell her my feelings, and all we've done is drive each other apart. I couldn't even write a letter back to the one girl who ever loved me, Iwanako.

What should I do... what can I do... I simply don't know the answer to either of those questions. I do know that nobody else can help me with them. Just going back to the way things were would be enough to make me happy, but I know that it can never happen. Something changed between us last night. Maybe it changed beforehand, and it just came to a head then.

I know that there's a wall that Hanako has between me and her. I've been hitting that wall every time I've tried to interact with her on any level. But now I'm beginning to think that I have my own wall between us just as much as she does. She had to practically drag my past out of me, and mine was much less traumatic than hers. I want to say it's because I haven't had long to adjust since my heart attack, but I know full well that it would just be an excuse.

The one time I can recall when it really felt like she was opening up to me of her own accord, when we were playing billiards in the city, I was the one who stopped her from going further.

I want to know Hanako better. I want to save our friendship, if not begin a real relationship with her. My mind begins to tick as I sit against her desk, thinking to myself in the empty classroom that we've spent so much time in together.

I have to talk to Hanako.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Breathlessly (Nature Sounds)

I pace around in the park, feelings of anxiety rolling over me. Every so often I reach into my pocket to take out my phone, but each and every time I hesitate and end up slipping it back in. If this were any normal situation, I wouldn't be cutting classes. Unfortunately, it isn't, and so I find myself in the town below the school at two in the afternoon. Ever since I met Hanako, I've been the one to initiate everything between us. The one that started conversations, went to her wherever she was, and suggested what we should do. Today, this once, I don't want to be the only one doing that.

My hand dives into my pocket once more. This time I quickly navigate to the texting menu before I have a chance to change my mind again. “Hanako, if you want to talk, I'll be at the park in town for a while.” Fighting a last measure of doubt, I thumb in my message to Hanako and press the button to send it. And now... I wait. My part in this has been fulfilled; what needs to happen now is for Hanako to make the decision. It would be meaningless for me to drag her here. She needs to decide for herself whether she wants to meet me.

The apple juice from the vending machine tastes awfully bitter as I swill it down. My grip on the can has caused it to dent slightly in the middle. I shouldn't be this tense, but it's probably inevitable. Hanako is dear to me. What happened in the last couple of days has put a lot of pressure on both of us. The idea of losing all the progress we've made in coming closer to one another, and losing our friendship as a whole, is deeply unsettling. But even then... I still don't really know how close we are. We may have had sex, but before that, all I knew us to be was friends. Maybe we are more than that, but if so, I never realized it. Maybe that's why I feel so uneasy right now.

I don't understand Hanako, despite all the time we've spent together. The minutes are ticking by, and I still have no idea whether she'll show up.

HANAKO: "H... Hisao...?"

I pause for a moment, almost not believing that I'm hearing the voice I am hearing. I drop the can and stand up with a start.

HISAO: "Hanako..."

We look at each other for a few seconds, before Hanako becomes too embarrassed to maintain eye contact and begins to nervously fiddle with the roughly-cut lock of hair covering the side of her face. When I went to see Hanako in her room by myself after her breakdown, I had no idea what to say. That was fine, then. All either of us wanted was each other's presence. Now, though... I feel like I need to talk to her directly. I want to break down this wall between us, before it forces us apart for good.

(Silence)

HISAO: "Hanako... I... What we did that night... how should I interpret that?"

Hanako stops playing with her hair and looks at me, her head cast slightly downwards. She looks ashamed, which is probably a good mirror of how I would look now if I weren't so concerned.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Innocence

HANAKO: "I thought... you might eventually go away if I was only someone you needed to protect. I thought that if I let you do that... you might see me as someone more than that."

My first reaction is disbelief, but... I did do it with her, after all. I had plenty of opportunities where I could have stopped things, stepped back, and questioned what we were doing. In the end, though... I didn't. A horrible feeling rises in the pit of my stomach. She offered herself to me because of what she thought I wanted, and now, it feels like I took advantage of her. She may have been willing, but only under false premises. I've never been good at hiding my emotions from physically showing, and now is no different. Hanako looks down once more, a strange mixture of depression, regret, and sickness written to her face. Thick silence hangs in the air, save for the breeze blowing through the trees around us.

HANAKO: "I knew... you couldn't look at me that way..."

Hanako's words are said in little more than a whisper, seemingly directed just as much at herself as to me.

HISAO: "In what way? What do you mean?"

HANAKO: "All I ever was to you was... a useless person. Just someone... to protect. Someone like... a child. I-I wanted to be more to you than that, but after so long... I... got used to it."

The tone of her voice is unlike any I've heard her use before. She sounds disgusted. Not at me, but at herself.

HANAKO: "After I came out of my room... I saw that you had started drifting away. I felt like I was going to lose you, because... you wanted somebody you could have... that kind of relationship with. You were more quiet in school than before, and you were getting on so well with Yuuko... I thought... that I might lose you."

She thought I was bored of her, because I wanted a romantic relationship?

HISAO: "But... we're friends, right? I wouldn't just abandon you like that, even if what you're saying was true."

HANAKO: "Friendship... was something I thought I'd given up on. I stopped believing in others... after what happened after the accident... Before the accident happened, I got on well with people and other children. I didn't have many friends... but I didn't mind, because I treasured the ones that I had. Afterwards, though... I was called names by the others, and teased a lot. It hurt... really deeply. The teachers tried to help, but they couldn't do much, and even many of them recoiled just at the sight of me. Among those calling me names and teasing me... were the ones that I thought were my closest friends.”

HANAKO: "From then on, I believed that it didn't matter if nobody else acknowledged me. All my existence ever did was make people troubled, after all. It was... easier... if I just didn't exist.”

HANAKO: "But after meeting Lilly, and then you... I tried, but I... couldn't make myself think that way again.”

All that time... she didn't trust me. She thought, just like everyone else in her life had, that she was worthless. Someone to throw away once I got bored of being with her. That hurts. That's the one kind of person I never, ever wanted to be seen as, because I know better than most just how horrible it feels to be thrown away by those who I thought liked me. She's cracking from the memories she's bringing up. I feel useless, completely unable to console her. In a strange way, though, I am almost thankful that she's allowing me to know this. The wall between us is going away, even if it hurts so badly to bring it down.

HISAO: "Hanako, if you'd just told me..."

HANAKO: "Was I... wrong?"

HISAO: "Of course you..."

She wasn't. Hanako wasn't wrong. It's difficult to force myself to admit this, but I know trying to deny it is pointless. To me, and to Lilly, she was someone we tried to protect.

She had become to me what I'd become to my friends after my heart attack - a broken person. I liked her, possibly even loved her, but I never acted on that precisely because I thought she was so fragile.

HISAO: "I mean... I don't look at you that way now. I got worried about you after what happened to you in class, and I thought I should try to protect you. When you locked yourself in your room, though, I got afraid. I thought you were rejecting me, and it forced me to think a lot about... different things.”

HANAKO: "I wasn't rejecting you!"

She blurts it out with an almost scared tone to her voice, taking me off guard. She quickly becomes embarrassed by her outburst, before clenching her fists and working through what she wants to say in her mind.

HANAKO: "I wouldn't ever do that. Not to you. Even though I was scared... even though I tried to push you away... you still tried to get closer to me. I locked myself away because... I was just a burden to you. To Lilly. To everyone. E-every birthday was the same. Everyone doing their best to pretend that I mattered. Everyone pretending everything was all right... for that one day of the year. I didn't want to exist, but they wouldn't let me. Even after meeting Lilly... everything was the same. I was as useless as I'd always been, unable to do anything for her, or for myself. I didn't want to be the same way... to you."

Lilly and I were completely wrong. From what she's said, everything we did for her... it would have only made her feel worse. Even what little I thought I had right about her was a complete misjudgment.

HISAO: "After you locked yourself in your room, I decided to try to work out my past as well, and sort out my future. I didn't know how to deal with the things I'd lost by coming to Yamaku, so I was trying to sort them out myself. I thought... it would help us become better friends... if I did that."

Silence hangs in the air again. I try to keep looking at her, but I can't. I feel really low, and though I want to apologize... I don't know how I possibly could. I hear her take a deep breath, and only look back to her after hearing her drop to the ground.

The sound of her crying breaks my heart. I know I'm responsible for this, and I know that I can't do anything to help her. If Hanako feels ashamed, then I feel all the more so."

I rush to her as tears continue to roll down her cheeks unabated, wrapping my arms around her. I don't care about how I must look any more. I just want to be close to her right now.

HANAKO: "I'm sorry, Hisao... I-I've messed up everything..."

HISAO: "It's fine. Everything's fine. I'm the one that should be sorry. I was meddling around behind your back, and I never told you anything."

I can feel my grip tightening on Hanako as my vision blurs. I can't be bothered trying to hold back, now. I have to force my words out as a lump begins to stick in my throat.

HISAO: "To tell you the truth, Hanako... I was scared. For the first time since my heart attack, I was really scared."

HANAKO: "Hisao...?"

HISAO: "I lost so much when I came to Yamaku. I was... depending on you, more than I ever thought I did. Even now, I still have that hole inside me.”

HISAO: "After losing my entire life, and everyone I'd known, the thought of losing you, as well..."

HANAKO: "But I'm just a useless—"

HISAO: "You're my friend, Hanako! You're... No, you're more than that. I love you, Hanako. I love you so much, that the thought of losing you frightened me so much..."

Ah, this is bad... I'm really letting all of this out. I can't bring myself to look at her face right now.

HANAKO: "I'm sorry, Hisao... I can't help... feeling a bit happy. For so long... that's what I've wanted... to hear..."

The last of the floodgates breaks, the sound of her crying permeating the air as her body jerks against mine. We hold each other tightly, connected more closely than ever in our shared grief, and our shared happiness. I don't know how things are going to be like, after this. Right now, though... I don't care.

There's no other person in the world that either of us could possibly share these memories and emotions with. Nobody.

(Silence)

After dropping the dirtied can into a bin next to the bench, I take a seat beside Hanako. She puts away the handkerchief I gave her to clean herself up, which hasn't helped much. Then again, I doubt I look much more presentable. Even now, I feel emptied and a bit embarrassed after letting my emotions out in public like that. It's not a bad sensation, though. I think Hanako feels the same way, too.

HISAO: "Have you calmed down a bit?"

HANAKO: "Y-yes. Thank you."

For a while, we just sit and take our time before talking again to one another. We both need a little time to collect ourselves.

HANAKO: "The weather is nice at this time of year."

HISAO: "Yeah, it is."

I close my eyes for a moment, relishing the feeling of the sun's heat and the cool breeze against my face. The weather really is nice, today. Really, really nice.

HISAO: "You know... I don't really want to go back to classes, right now. Do you?"

She shakes her head as she finishes wiping her eyes with her cuff. The small smile she gives is nice, and it's a reminder of how earnest it can be. Smiling for other people might be a completely normal, everyday thing. For Hanako though... she smiles so rarely and so sincerely, that each and every time she does it, I feel a sense of relief and happiness.

HANAKO: "I'm sorry. For... everything."

HISAO: "It's okay. I think we both have a bit to be sorry for."

HANAKO: "I know that... I'm too shy. I know you don't want me to be, I don't think I can..."

HISAO: "You can change, Hanako. I know that because, even in the time I've known you, you've already changed. To be honest, just being able to sit here and talk to you like this means that you've changed a lot since we first met."

HANAKO: "But... I can't be like that for... anyone else. I don't have any plans for after school ends, either..."

Hanako's confidence begins to slide down again, but I think that now, I can finally talk to her as an equal. I can do it because I know that we're just the same in so many ways.

HISAO: "Just give yourself time, and I think you'll be able to achieve what you want. No, I'm sure that you'll be able to do it. I can see you've been trying, and I have faith in you. And you can depend on me if you feel like you need someone to support you, you know."

HANAKO: "B-but I can't ask that of you..."

HISAO: "You can, because that's exactly what I'm asking of you. I'm going through the same thing, you know. It's called love."

Hanako smiles, before I get off the bench and dust myself off. She does the same in short measure.

HISAO: "I'm kinda hungry. Want to grab something to eat?"

She nods vigorously. The way she's smiling, the way she's acting, even just the general air she gives off... I feel as if this is the first time I've seen her genuinely happy. We both make our way onto the street, walking beside each other.

HANAKO: "Hisao?"

HISAO: "Yeah?"

HANAKO: "I... I think... I don't really understand you."

HISAO: "I don't think I understand you, either. I believe that's fine, though."

There's not a single hint of despair in our voices. Not understanding each other is only natural; the walls we set up between ourselves couldn't possibly be broken down in a single day. But that's fine. As long as we take it day by day, and try to understand one another... I think everything will be okay. As we walk down the street, though, Hanako's eyes flick to my face and back to the street repeatedly.

HISAO: "Is something on your mind? You look restless."

She slows before stopping completely. When I turn to meet her, she takes a long, deep breath, looking at my face intently. This expression... I saw it once before on her face. Just once, when I accidentally surprised her in her room.

HANAKO: "I... I think... I think I have something... I need to give you."

HISAO: "What is it? You don't need to be evasive about it."

HANAKO: "I wanted to give you this for a long, long time, but... now that I need to... it's too embarrassing..."

HISAO: "Don't worry. I'll accept it, whatever it is."

She gives a sweet, bashful smile, before taking my shoulder in her hand.

HANAKO: "Then, please accept my first gift to you, Hisao..."

HISAO: "Hanako...?"

:eng101: And with that last moment of Hanako leaning in to kiss Hisao in front of a surprised and :3: crowd, we bring her route to an end. :eng101:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

V cute way to end things.

I'm enjoying these pretty serious moments of emotional catharsis as the ending to routes. They feel petty well done to my eyes, it's cool to see.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea this is a cute moment. This route is interesting to see after Lily's route aswell (because obviously Hanako appears in that aswell)

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It only took till the very end of the route for some romance to happen. At least they got a happy ending, I wasn't so sure after they had sex.

Psycho Lawnmower
Apr 1, 2011

For the cow-borrowing glory and infinite wisdom of Elmal! Cheese for everyone!
Very cute…I’m not entirely sure how much I feel Hisao has done anything wrong-mostly being thrown into Lilly’s general machinations and following that lead-but misinterpretation was clearly present everywhere and no one knew how to read each other, so story of my general experience.

I stand by the actions he made on paper though. That he was willing to listen, engage and give her choices are all viable things in relationships regardless of a disability, but more so there given how often it is ignored.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Psycho Lawnmower posted:

I stand by the actions he made on paper though. That he was willing to listen, engage and give her choices are all viable things in relationships regardless of a disability, but more so there given how often it is ignored.

I'd agree Hisao's actions were largely fine, though a lot of what got in the way was his choice of language. "Protect" came up, even after they started moving into that slow orbiting dance of two anxious people trying to figure out if the other is interested in them. Like if I recall, he said it at the jazz club and you could kind of see it shut her down a little. He unintentionally played straight into her anxieties, and she's not wrong about feeling like it made her somehow lesser in his eyes because, well... that language and attitude toward a peer is pretty infantilizing, even though he's just trying to be reassuring. Hanako can't see Hisao working past that in his own head like we can.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Falconier111 posted:

HANAKO: "Ivegottogodosomething!"

So this is a good time to mention Katawa Crash, a fangame with a concept based off Nanaca Crash, a fangame of another light novel. Specifically, it is a fangame where you launch Hisao through the air to bounce off the girls and a large number of memey characters. (Content Warning: TVTropes)

It was a Flash game but has its own standalone launcher now, and it's available on Android through the store. I've killed a few hours with it over the years.

e: No porn, but there is a single titty in a jumpscare.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Moral of the story: poor communication will kill you.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Dareon posted:

So this is a good time to mention Katawa Crash, a fangame with a concept based off Nanaca Crash, a fangame of another light novel. Specifically, it is a fangame where you launch Hisao through the air to bounce off the girls and a large number of memey characters. (Content Warning: TVTropes)

It was a Flash game but has its own standalone launcher now, and it's available on Android through the store. I've killed a few hours with it over the years.

e: No porn, but there is a single titty in a jumpscare.

I didn't want to say it before because I was embarrassed, but my only previous experience with Katawa Shoujo prior to this LP was this game, and i remember laughing my rear end off way back when. It only dawned on me that the subject matter was delicate when Rin popped and I later noticed her arms, or rather, her sleeves. I remember when I noticed that I stopped playing because I thought it was 4chan doing some gross stuff with those characters and felt bad for having fun with the game. I still remember the stock laugh they used for Misha, and I can't help and hear it whenever she pops up in the LP, laughing.

EDIT: Okay Misha (or both Mishas, i should say) just sent me to the stratosphere and i'm almost 100km on my run :stare: and this after shizune ate one my multiball hisaos

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 21, 2021

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Quackles posted:

Moral of the story: poor communication will kill you.

That’s kind of the moral of the story for every route, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

It’s that time again, folks! We have another round of :effortless:posts to work into the OP, and I’d like to lay out exactly what happens next. Psycho Lawnmower, EclecticTastes, Nidoking, Antistar01, Zeron, Dareon, MadDogMike, you’ve all made posts that warrant inclusion and have already given ongoing permission. This is just a courtesy call to let you know in case you have anything you want to change.

Explopyro, Nothingtoseehere, Disposablewords, Cobalt-60, and SpruceZeus, you also qualify but I haven’t received permission from you yet, so you get the full spiel. I need your permission in the thread or through a PM to put your posts in the OP. I have a background in oral history, and I know drat well how sensitive information about a person’s disabilities is from a legal and moral standpoint. But I can’t really apply the full set of ethical standards to this thread without it getting ridiculous, so this is my compromise with myself. You can give me permission just to use those specific posts in the OP or give it for any of your posts going forward; in the latter case, say specifically that :siren: you grant me permission to use your posts in this thread going forward unless you specifically say otherwise :siren:. And I mean it - you can tell me at any time to take this stuff down and I will. I’ve also set up a backup for this LP on AO3 in case something goes wrong over here before I complete it and it enters the LP Archive; while I will upload the text of your posts there, I’ve settled on using abbreviated versions of people’s usernames there to preserve some anonymity, and you can request I make your records there anonymous or leave them out entirely. Or let me use your full username over there if you want, whatever. You keep the same rights over your information as you get here, too.