Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
I bet it used to sit on those brackets next to the 66-block. The weight of the cables heading off the bottom of the picture pulled it down until that last power cord hit full extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I actually managed to get the power bar back on the wall and I was taking the phone system down for an upgrade anyway so I fixed them up with a proper patch for the PRI, but the reason the UPS was on that power bar was that there wasn't actually an outlet in that closet and the power bar was running through a hole in the wall from an adjoining room. I advised them this was a Bad Idea but fixing it was way beyond the scope of what I was there for and very much Not My Problem.

Sadly I see stuff like that all the time, half-assed "temporary" solutions to things end up saying that way for years, especially at places where they don't actually have their own dedicated IT staff.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Entropic posted:

Sadly I see stuff like that all the time, half-assed "temporary" solutions to things end up saying that way for years, especially at places where they don't actually have their own dedicated IT staff.

There is absolutely nothing more permanent than a temporary solution.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

senrath posted:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

senrath posted:

Fortunately, you can make a whole career out of both creating and cleaning these up.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

sixth and maimed posted:

We're looking at replacing the firewall in one of our companies and the supplier recommended changing from Checkpoint to Palo-Alto. Then they quoted us €16k for it, which is a bit much. Any suggestions for decent firewalls for a fairly typical SME?

Fortigate all day, but sizing them can be a pain and you really want to have someone familiar with them to give you a baseline secure config.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Agrikk posted:

Older and wiser Agrikk can’t help but feel a little sad over photos like this. I mean, imagine not-caring to such a degree that power-strips hanging in air are sufficient enough effort to check the “done” box.

It takes an extra smidge of effort (and a bit of cash, which I suppose is the problem) to get a couple of proper-length cords to do this right.

E: actually, it looks like all one would need to do to get the power strip back on the floor would be to cut the zip tie holding the loop of cord leading to the last plug on the end of the strip.

What if the floor is lava? Did you think of that!?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Silly Newbie posted:

Fortigate all day, but sizing them can be a pain and you really want to have someone familiar with them to give you a baseline secure config.

Hard agree with Fortigate.

If your company is less than like 50-75 people with average network utilization, you can probably use just a 60F, up to like 250-300 is 100F, beyond that or any outlier network utilization I would definitely get some sort of pre-sales or person familiar with them.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Woof Blitzer posted:

Fortunately, you can make a whole career out of both creating and cleaning these up.

“I’m going to replace all these previous temporary solutions with my temporary solutions for the next guy!”

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

senrath posted:

New thread title?

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm going to contact some Fortigate suppliers.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
The MSP that signs my paychecks uses Watchguard, and they've decided that I'm the new Watchguard guy.

This is my first real firewall. How does that compare to fortigate?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Oyster posted:

The MSP that signs my paychecks uses Watchguard, and they've decided that I'm the new Watchguard guy.

This is my first real firewall. How does that compare to fortigate?

Meh.

We had those before the Fortigates. They're a little better than Sonicwall IMO. We upgraded because you couldn't use FIPS mode with active failover. (as opposed to Fortigate where FIPS just breaks them!). But FIPS is loving stupid on every product that 'supports' it.

I like the Fortinets but I've hit a ton of stupid issues with them. The #1 thing that annoys me about them is that they often block things without implicitly logging it or telling you that it did, so you have to know where to look or assume that it's silently blocking poo poo when you're troubleshooting things.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

senrath posted:

Income tax will be abolished now that the war is over, right :ohdear:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

senrath posted:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We are upgrading everyone from Office 2013 to Office 2016 and things have been breaking in mysterious and interesting ways. At the same time the guy who has admin control over McAfee stuff wants us to upgrade to Endpoint protection which has also broken things in new and mysterious ways. At the same same time, our lead had his last day yesterday and luckily someone else got picked to be the interim replacement. We don't work today but it seems like Monday might be lovely

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Yay printers

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Hotel Kpro posted:

We are upgrading everyone from Office 2013 to Office 2016
lmao 2021 was just announced and will launch oct 5

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

MF_James posted:

Hard agree with Fortigate.

If your company is less than like 50-75 people with average network utilization, you can probably use just a 60F, up to like 250-300 is 100F, beyond that or any outlier network utilization I would definitely get some sort of pre-sales or person familiar with them.

My company uses a SonicWall. However, VPN traffic terminates outside of the firewall, so I'm actually connected to my company's network via VPN right now but outside of firewall protection.

And uh...let's just say from experience that they A) don't filter VPN traffic, B) didn't - at least 4 years ago - block inappropriate things via SonicWall, and C) have poo poo IT that doesn't even do phishing training. :downsgun:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

nexxai posted:

lmao 2021 was just announced and will launch oct 5

Wait they’re still doing non-365 office releases? I thought everything was being pushed into the software-as-service realm.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The versioned software is still superior to the webpage

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They still do year-named releases for people who want to bake something into an image and can't have it auto-update, move an icon around and affect production. They want people on the subscription model so the licenses are pricey if you're not a school.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

P sure you get the licenses with o365 tho. Its just a different front end

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
O365 is also an installed application on a system, it's not just a web UI like Google Sheets.

Another use case (which I think is limited only to, and only offered to) is education where you've got shared computer labs so you can do machine activation instead of user activation, so people don't have to log in to office every time they sit at a new computer.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

the o365 application is literally just the most recent iteration of office 20xx, isn't it?

I'm on a mac, so I am just amazed it actually works and am afraid to look too closely

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

FISHMANPET posted:

O365 is also an installed application on a system, it's not just a web UI like Google Sheets.

Another use case (which I think is limited only to, and only offered to) is education where you've got shared computer labs so you can do machine activation instead of user activation, so people don't have to log in to office every time they sit at a new computer.

O365 has a shared licensing mode that works for labs, so long as the AD accounts logging in are licensed for office. Combine that with auto-signing in the current user to Office and it's really no different from a user perspective than running Office 2019/2021.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Not my monkey, not my problem. I've only ever been on the periphery of it myself, so maybe we are actually pushing O365 to our labs, or maybe it's 2019 because the way we're federated into Azure doesn't work. I just remember there was some weird education-specific thing we had to do.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
There may be better threads but does anyone have a UPS they'd recommend for home use?

Working from home now, and recently been having some sporadic blips in power which crashes my desktop in the middle of work. Would be nice to have a small UPS that would give me enough to gracefully shut things down.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If you dont plan on doing anything fancy with it, like getting SNMP reads off of it or something I'd just go buy whichever cheap 1500VA you find. I have an old APC that works fine, I just end up replacing the battery every 5 years or so.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Anything will be fine, there's not really any difference between them until you get to the double conversion units.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If you dont plan on doing anything fancy with it, like getting SNMP reads off of it or something I'd just go buy whichever cheap 1500VA you find. I have an old APC that works fine, I just end up replacing the battery every 5 years or so.

Thanks Ants posted:

Anything will be fine, there's not really any difference between them until you get to the double conversion units.

Thanks. I'll do a little research and see what I can pick up.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Hughmoris posted:

There may be better threads but does anyone have a UPS they'd recommend for home use?

Working from home now, and recently been having some sporadic blips in power which crashes my desktop in the middle of work. Would be nice to have a small UPS that would give me enough to gracefully shut things down.

My house has notoriously flaky power during the winter, so I have three Cyberpower 1500PFCLCDs that I use for individual PCs and some misc gear around my house. I also bought four APC UPS (they're Schneider now) off of eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403166233263?hash=item5dde9482af:g:cjYAAOSwNhNfvsjV

with the network management card for remotely shutting down servers.

The APC batteries I replace about every five years, the Cyberpower I've had one batter die across the three units in the three years I've had them.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 17, 2021

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have been very pleased with my CyberPower CP1500AVR. I probably didn't need 1500vA, but it's nice that I can wait a few minutes to see if power is going to come back shortly before shutting everything down. It has never failed me, I have only failed it (by accidentally pushing in the power button with my toe, causing a hard shutdown). It's coming up on 5 years old and I haven't had to replace the battery so far.

I'm told that APC's quality has gone downhill since they were bought by Schneider Electric, but don't have any firsthand experience.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The chip shortage now means our ISP can't get the Juniper CPE devices they deploy :suicide:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

APC/Schneider makes good UPSes, but their consumer control software is poo poo and will cause brand new units with known good batteries to report that the battery has failed after a self-test is queued up automatically by the software.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

dragonshardz posted:

APC/Schneider makes good UPSes, but their consumer control software works as intended and will report that the battery has failed after a self-test is queued up automatically by the software to fool people who aren't paying attention into buying replacement batteries because UPS' are a loving scam and manufacturers love the razor/blade model.

Goddamn I hate UPS'. We should have had widespread li-ion UPS' years ago but manufacturers didn't make it a priority because why would they want the batteries to last longer, that would sharply cut into their profit margin.

Even now, it's basically just a couple models from Eaton, one or two small UPS' from APC, and that lithium-ion-ups.com manufacturer, and that's all that's available. Absolutely stupid.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

My issue with APC is that the software makes the battery report as bad, but a manual self-test run from the buttons on it returns fine.

And then they just send you an entire replacement unit because it's still under warranty, repeat problem literally a week later.

Basically, don't use their software.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

It's reassuring to hear that Fortigate is good stuff. Thanks.

Just in Research, we're going to end our Win10 migration project with dozens or hundreds of systems that simply can't be upgraded. Most of those will still need network access to get research data to where it needs to go. We started by saying that they'd be "isolated" somehow. VLANS with ACLs won't work for us because of reasons. The access control project is running way behind, and could be defeated with a USB-Ethernet adapter. So we've been talking to Network Security about firewalls.

They don't like the idea of adding that many individual firewall appliances to be managed (and cost licenses, etc.) which can be defeated by a scientist swapping cables around. What do ?

I sold Security my nightmare scenario: a malware-loaded thumb drive dropped in an company parking lot worldwide can get at all of Research and a good chunk of Manufacturing. So now we're going with a redundant pair of high-end Fortigates per building. This will protect the entire research infrastructure, not just individual machines.

I'm super stoked that the chances I'll have to explain a malware infection are about to drop considerably.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
One of the nice things about Cylance is you can define a policy to disallow the use of USB storage devices entirely and selectively add devices to it. One of our clients requested this and have an internal process for their staff to request to be taken off this policy, which has to be signed off by their own internal IT, so if they get hit by malware we've covered our asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

mllaneza posted:

It's reassuring to hear that Fortigate is good stuff. Thanks.

Just in Research, we're going to end our Win10 migration project with dozens or hundreds of systems that simply can't be upgraded. Most of those will still need network access to get research data to where it needs to go. We started by saying that they'd be "isolated" somehow. VLANS with ACLs won't work for us because of reasons. The access control project is running way behind, and could be defeated with a USB-Ethernet adapter. So we've been talking to Network Security about firewalls.

They don't like the idea of adding that many individual firewall appliances to be managed (and cost licenses, etc.) which can be defeated by a scientist swapping cables around. What do ?

I sold Security my nightmare scenario: a malware-loaded thumb drive dropped in an company parking lot worldwide can get at all of Research and a good chunk of Manufacturing. So now we're going with a redundant pair of high-end Fortigates per building. This will protect the entire research infrastructure, not just individual machines.

I'm super stoked that the chances I'll have to explain a malware infection are about to drop considerably.

I'm reasonably certain you can configure a Fortigate to quarantine or transparently segment devices based on OS via access control software rules, but I would have to look up how. The depth of network penetration they get is unreal. Like "clients running kernel version X cannot talk with other devices on the same subnet" level.
But I might be misremembering.