Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

TBF, I dont like negative numbers in meteorology either.

It’s cause it’s loving cold

E: 46 is a real number, it’s even positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

crispix posted:

so much for bloody carbon emissions global warming my arse end of woooooooooooigh :manning:

Carbon carbon everywhere but not a drop to drink.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/jolyonmaugham/status/1439135453576417282?s=21

The slow radicalisation of Jolyon Maugham is quite something to watch.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The average age in this country is 40. Half of the population were last in school at least 25 years ago and may have left at 16. The fact that a good chunk of people don't understand basic concepts is a just statistics.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
My favourite number is 142857. It's loving amazing and I have no idea how it does what it does.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Unkempt posted:

My favourite number is 142857. It's loving amazing and I have no idea how it does what it does.

I was literally about to reply with this exact same number. It is glorious.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Tsietisin posted:

I was literally about to reply with this exact same number. It is glorious.

Quit posting your account PINs!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
5318008 was always my favourite but whatevs

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/jolyonmaugham/status/1439135453576417282?s=21

The slow radicalisation of Jolyon Maugham is quite something to watch.

Yeh the timeline is amazing, it just started out with him only really giving a poo poo about Gillick and then transform from from cold hard impartial legal language beep boop lawyer to full on anti-transphobe as he learned more and more about the humans behind all of this.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A lot of schad re: Andrew Neil's departure from GBeebies

quote:

When Andrew Neil took a leave of absence from GB News a fortnight after its 13 June launch, the rightwing news channel and its star presenter spent weeks insisting he was taking a long break to “recharge [his] batteries”.

The reality, sources have told the Guardian, is that rather than merely being on holiday Neil was locked in an increasingly fierce legal battle with the channel’s bosses from mid-July, with the station in turmoil as their lead presenter attempted to renegotiate and then exit a four-year contract believed to worth about £700,000 a year.

The chief executive, Angelos Frangopoulos, was overheard at the station’s west London headquarters over the summer cursing Neil’s name and pledging to sue the presenter for millions of pounds over alleged breach of contract.

At the same time, Neil is said to have claimed his reputation had been damaged due to being involved in a botched launch over which he had limited control. The presenter ultimately agreed to walk away without any money in order to get out of the channel, it is understood.

:smug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
^^ :bisonyes:

stev posted:

Numeracy is pretty terrible across the board in this country. A majority of voters don't understand the very basics of how marginal tax rates work, so it's not surprising that some people can't grasp negative numbers.

If you haven't been properly educated in it then the concept of negative anything is mind blowing.
Yeah, as those videos (which are a fun watch if you like that kind of thing) pointed out, it really wasn't that long ago in human terms that the finest mathematical minds in Europe were busy shouting at one another over a lectern about "how can -3 times -3 be 9 when 3 times 3 is 9? How can -3 exist? You're talking bollocks man! You're ruining numbers!" I walk past buildings older than that debate on a regular basis, and they're not historical sites, they're the pub. And now it's expected basic knowledge.

It doesn't help that the whole thing is often presented as some kind of alien exercise in absurdity, like the number of times I've seen things like this on social media

learnincurve posted:

Yeh the timeline is amazing, it just started out with him only really giving a poo poo about Gillick and then transform from from cold hard impartial legal language beep boop lawyer to full on anti-transphobe as he learned more and more about the humans behind all of this.
It helps that so many of the humans behind it are such an obvious trashpile of antisemitic conspiracy theorists, not-nazis-but-using-all-the-same-arguments, and theocrats who want to roll back everything from birth control to women voting. It's the rabbit hole that keeps on giving.

(The thing it gives is :stonk:)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Sometimes it's baffling how technnologically and scientifically illiterate people can be, though for me it's often in computer contexts.

I have a rather dodgy housemate who I'm pretty sure keeps stealing food and never admits it, and he's recently proclaimed himself a networking expert and tried to sort out our internet issues (which amount to 'it's a big house with a single wifi AP and a lot of people using it').

That alone was kindof funny to me since I worked on various network/iot devices as an embedded programmer, but when he finally dug through the router UI and came to the conclusion that my ethernet connected iot device 'chugs' 1000 mbps and that's why his connection is slow, in an extremely accusatory manner, it just made go, well, how do you even defend yourself from something like that.

He also claims to have worked in IT but based on the above I reckon it's another one of his lies.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

It doesn't help that the whole thing is often presented as some kind of alien exercise in absurdity, like the number of times I've seen things like this on social media

Yeah you never see "hur hur I suck at geography, right guys?"

The most annoying maths things I used to see on social media were the ones like

Picture + picture + picture = 12
Picture + picture + picture = 9
(sum of subtly different pictures) = ?

Because they're not maths problems, they're trick questions designed to cause arguments

I did like this one though

Because it's not a pictographic trick, it's a simple-looking equation with fruits in place of letters, which does indeed have a positive integer solution - it's just that the smallest solution involves 80-digit integers, and requires elliptic curves to solve (which for context, I had only previously heard about in the solution to Fermat's Last Theorem).

E: and as the link says, the number of people who can't solve it is WAY above 95%, and includes mathematicians who are a different kind of mathematician

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 18, 2021

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

stev posted:

Numeracy is pretty terrible across the board in this country. A majority of voters don't understand the very basics of how marginal tax rates work, so it's not surprising that some people can't grasp negative numbers.

If you haven't been properly educated in it then the concept of negative anything is mind blowing.

I worked with a woman who was an accountant and had previously worked at HMRC who tried to turn down a payrise because it would move her into a higher tax band.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Well, working in IT I am pretty confident that guy worked in IT. I meet those people constantly on the other end of support tickets. They treat computers as inscrutable magical devices that require rituals to tame, instead of the boring but scrutable amalgamations of code, bugs, and lint.

tl;dr I am a Tech Priest

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
GRADUIT OF THE SCOOL OV LIFE AND ARD NOCKS M8 END OV SIMPAL AS :manning:

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Well, working in IT I am pretty confident that guy worked in IT. I meet those people constantly on the other end of support tickets. They treat computers as inscrutable magical devices that require rituals to tame, instead of the boring but scrutable amalgamations of code, bugs, and lint.

tl;dr I am a Tech Priest

They are magical, powered by the blood sacrifice from the knuckles of the build techs who assembled them...

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Praise the omnissiah! I'm also in IT and i've reached the level of seniority where everything is magic and can only be fixed by prayer.

So much so that I even paint mini versions of super advanced IT helpdesk workers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Numeracy in this country is atrocious.

My work used to involve producing monthly reports on asset performance across a whole range of KPIs with nice graphs, moving averages and so forth.
My team included not only analysts but some other folk working on other aspects of performance but because they were in my team, at our monthly team meetings I would go through the report with them because even if they were not analysts, I felt they should understand what was in the report.
Anyway, one day I noticed that one of the women off the graduate training scheme* was actually not understanding the graphs at all. After that I paid more attention to other peoples' understanding (from their facial expressions more than anything else) - all nodding and so forth in agreement - and I realized that many people cannot read a fairly simple graph, and the most senior of them - including board members - were never ever going to admit that.
So I made it a rule for my analysts that no graph was to leave our department without 3 bullet points on it as to why the graph was interesting! ("But it's obvious!" they cried - "It's obvious to you and me" I responded, "but not to Mr Board Member or Mrs Regional Director and they're never going to admit it")

And one time about 35 years ago, I was recruiting clerical staff and one of the roles was to calculate refunds dating back several years at a time when VAT rates were changing frequently. So I used to give them a 'simple' test. I didn't rigidly time it, said they could use calculators or pen & paper as they wished. There were no trick questions, if a question looked easy it was because it was. OMG - 99% of all known people would answer Q1 "What is 15% of 100" with 6.67. It took me weeks to fathom out why they were giving that answer! (100/15 = 6.67) so I figured it was a vaguely remembered rule from school that 10% is divide your number by 10, misapplied.

*first class honours btw in arty farty.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 18, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

FOUGHT THERE WAS 2 MUCH CARBON DIOXIDE IN THE ATMOSPHERE EH MAKE YOU'ARE MIND UP GRETTA FUNBERG 🤣🤣🤣

E: drat you crispix

learnincurve posted:

I followed him to dunk on ages ago but it's been pleasant at least to see a few people, him and Monbiot in particular, go from 'what is to be done' guardianism to actually realising what the underlying problems are.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I was talking about air temperature, dumbdumbs. If you’re regularly experiencing air temps of 100C I would suggest removing yourself from the oven.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

I was talking about air temperature, dumbdumbs. If you’re regularly experiencing air temps of 100C I would suggest removing yourself from the oven.

100C isn't even gas mark 1, harden the gently caress up.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
working in the public sector, i have found that the layers of management are infested with people who are anti-education. they are invariably people who have poo poo for brains and have bullied and intimidated their way to the height of their incompetence and they fear and therefore despise anyone who has any kind of higher education

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
they think all of computing - the entire discipline - is microsoft excel and word

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

100C isn't even gas mark 1, harden the gently caress up.

Well what is then smarty pants? Do you expect us to believe there's some kind of (snort) negative gas mark scale? :smuggo:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Jakabite posted:

Look at this pleb not going to the sauna regularly.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

they are invariably people who have poo poo for brains and have bullied and intimidated their way to the height of their incompetence and they fear and therefore despise anyone who has any kind of higher education
Or the friend of one of these people who has failed upward. Our IT manager at university had no idea what Active directory was, and constantly proposed things directly to SMG that made no sense and weren't even theoretically possible, and then leaving us to get in trouble for 'failing' when "Sarah promised us it would be fairly straightforward."

She was promoted to IT because she had been there so long without doing anything disastrously wrong they wanted to bump her to senior management, but IT was the only department without SMG representation.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm a big dumb moron who can't even use Excel in more than the most basic functionality and is absolutely pitiful at anything more maths than basic arithmetic and the few moments of geometry and algebra that haven't leaked from my brain in the 18 years since I left school and even I have absolutely no problem with conceptualising negative numbers.

I tried watching that imaginary number video someone posted and got loving nothing from it though. I recognise it's clearly useful in some context but fortunately not a context I have to worry about. The way he matter of factly goes "but it does cross the X axis if you add an extra dimension" just left me slack jawed. And what if you add 8 more? Can you just do that, keep adding dimensions until you get an answer you want? Or is that 1 extra a limit?

Fortunately I won't ever need to know

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Or the friend of one of these people who has failed upward. Our IT manager at university had no idea what Active directory was, and constantly proposed things directly to SMG that made no sense and weren't even theoretically possible, and then leaving us to get in trouble for 'failing' when "Sarah promised us it would be fairly straightforward."

She was promoted to IT because she had been there so long without doing anything disastrously wrong they wanted to bump her to senior management, but IT was the only department without SMG representation.
A Sarah Michelle Gellar in every department? Seems extravagant to me, typical public sector bloat

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

this lovely island's lack of numeracy is why the British Empire was a horrible idea

well, that and Europe's ascendency over Asia in general, but to prevent that from happening, you'd probably need to strangle Genghis Khan in the cradle

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

crispix posted:

working in the public sector, i have found that the layers of management are infested with people who are anti-education. they are invariably people who have poo poo for brains and have bullied and intimidated their way to the height of their incompetence and they fear and therefore despise anyone who has any kind of higher education

A manager in my directorate emailed around last summer - during the lockdown - that staff who hadn't got their statutory and mandatory training up to date would lose their home-working privileges.
This made me rather angry for a couple of reasons: they weren't "home-working privileges", they were measures to reduce the spread of a deadly loving illness, and; most of the statutory and mandatory training that people weren't up to date with was face-to-face training, which had been suspended due to the deadly loving illness.

I'm sure this manager is nice if you interact with them regularly, but gently caress me they need lessons in how to not be a massive tool.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

forkboy84 posted:

A Sarah Michelle Gellar in every department? Seems extravagant to me, typical public sector bloat

I was trying to work out of it was Sarah Michelle Gellar, SuperMechaGodzilla or a gun.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

I'm a big dumb moron who can't even use Excel in more than the most basic functionality and is absolutely pitiful at anything more maths than basic arithmetic and the few moments of geometry and algebra that haven't leaked from my brain in the 18 years since I left school and even I have absolutely no problem with conceptualising negative numbers.

I tried watching that imaginary number video someone posted and got loving nothing from it though. I recognise it's clearly useful in some context but fortunately not a context I have to worry about. The way he matter of factly goes "but it does cross the X axis if you add an extra dimension" just left me slack jawed. And what if you add 8 more? Can you just do that, keep adding dimensions until you get an answer you want? Or is that 1 extra a limit?

Fortunately I won't ever need to know

I would recommend the YT channel Numberphile, its great for explaining concepts on things.

Hows this for a mind bender about extra dimensions.

Take a square box, and fill it with 8 spheres so that they are just touching each other and sides.
Now imagine the space in the very midddle, inbetween the spheres inside the box. You can make a smaller sphere that are just touching the sides of the original spheres.
As you increase in dimension, that smaller sphere gets bigger and bigger.
So eventually the smaller sphere is larger than the original box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mceaM2_zQd8 for it all, something simple just makes you loving love maths.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

No no, the management group who had seniority to everyone else, largely because they all carried submachine guns.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

Well what is then smarty pants? Do you expect us to believe there's some kind of (snort) negative gas mark scale? :smuggo:

No, that would be ridiculous.

There is in fact a far, far more sensible situation where each successive drop of 25 degrees (fahrenheit) below 275 (gas mark 1) halves the gas mark, so 250 degrees is gas mark 1/2, 225 is 1/4, and so on. Therefore 212 degrees (100C) is more or less halfway between gas mark 1/8 (200) and gas mark 1/4 (225), so it would be gas mark 3/16. Duh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

The way he matter of factly goes "but it does cross the X axis if you add an extra dimension" just left me slack jawed. And what if you add 8 more? Can you just do that, keep adding dimensions until you get an answer you want? Or is that 1 extra a limit?
Yes, but not every number of additional dimensions makes sense, and every time you go higher to one that does you tend to lose a fundamental property of what we think of as mathematics

Guavanaut posted:

you can keep going up by orders but every time you find one that works, it loses a fundamental property of numbers, like quaternions are noncommutative and x·y isn't necessarily y·x, and octonions are also nonassociative so (x + y) + z isn't always x + (y + z) and eventually you just end up as things that don't work as numbers. And it's absolute madness that some of this has actual real world uses but :thatsengineering:

So like once you're past 8 you end up with numbers except you can't add them together or some absurdity.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There is in fact a far, far more sensible situation where each successive drop of 25 degrees (fahrenheit) below 275 (gas mark 1) halves the gas mark, so 250 degrees is gas mark 1/2, 225 is 1/4, and so on. Therefore 212 degrees (100C) is more or less halfway between gas mark 1/8 (200) and gas mark 1/4 (225), so it would be gas mark 3/16. Duh.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

*Xeno nodding sagely* So you can never turn the oven off, got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

*Xeno nodding sagely* So you can never turn the oven off, got it.

Ovens emit blackbody radiation while turned off.