Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Haha, yeah, exactly. It's still gonna be insane, I'm just gonna complain less.

Complaining is what memegen is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

champagne posting posted:

Without doxxing myself too much I can safely say this is prevalent in at least one international pharmaceutical giant
Hah! To think that Dell has been expanding into pharmaceuticals!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Paolomania posted:

Complaining is what the thing of which we do not speak is for.

Shh!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Mega Comrade posted:

It's agileish but with less of the extra crap added on than scrum has. So rather than 'good' it's just less bad.

prom candy posted:

We do "kanban" at my work which means we reorder stories frequently and also yeah we don't have all the meetings which is loving great.

These are common takes among developers, but Kanban does have a bunch of its own crap; classes of service, swim lanes, WIP limits and that's just the stuff that has to do with task management. There's a lot of theory, and it allows for plenty of meetings too, just look up "kanban cadences". If you end up in a team with someone who insist on doing Kanban by the book and not just "simplified scrum board and no meetings" you won't have a great time.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Kanban seems like the best style of agile to work with if you have to. My team has pretty much abandoned our board, which is great IMO. The only time I can see if being useful is organizing and planning out the little steps that are required to complete big features.

We were tracking stories and doing daily or bi-weekly stand ups but nobody ever cared about what anyone else was doing so we decided to stop wasting our time.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

thotsky posted:

These are common takes among developers, but Kanban does have a bunch of its own crap; classes of service, swim lanes, WIP limits and that's just the stuff that has to do with task management. There's a lot of theory, and it allows for plenty of meetings too, just look up "kanban cadences". If you end up in a team with someone who insist on doing Kanban by the book and not just "simplified scrum board and no meetings" you won't have a great time.

All true. But the reality is the vast majority of companies do agile wrong and atleast from a developers point of view doing kanban wrong is far less painful for us than doing scrum wrong.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

a dingus posted:

We were tracking stories and doing daily or bi-weekly stand ups but nobody ever cared about what anyone else was doing so we decided to stop wasting our time.

This sounds really strange, do people not become disengaged and drop off the radar? How do you deal with conflicts and dependencies between stories? Does your "team" even work together? I honestly cannot imagine working like this, because my team is the polar opposite: constantly talking and planning together with discussions centered on our board, epic board and backlog.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Daviclond posted:

This sounds really strange, do people not become disengaged and drop off the radar? How do you deal with conflicts and dependencies between stories? Does your "team" even work together? I honestly cannot imagine working like this, because my team is the polar opposite: constantly talking and planning together with discussions centered on our board, epic board and backlog.

My team is a clusterfuck. We're working on splitting in half to work for different organizations, so each half is doing different stuff on the edges.
Within each half there are 2 sub teams, one which writes modules that don't need input from anyone else, and another that writes the tools/framework & deploys.

The sub team leaders normally communicate more than individual team members so they're able to coordinate conflicts and dependencies. We're good about coordinating ad-hoc and just messaging each other when things come up.

What we recently began doing in place of walk the boards is a weekly show & tell where 3 - 4 people will spend 15 minutes showing what they're working on. We all rotate showing our work. This gives a deeper dive into what people are doing and let's others brainstorm ideas and see there they can collaborate.

TL;DR my team is a clusterfuck with people who don't need to collaborate for long periods of time.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Jamming a group of people who don't collaborate into a "team" and making them do Agile is the loving worst and has happened to me in two different jobs. It's about to happen to me as part of a reorg at my current job and I'm strongly pushing back.

My boss asked me if I'm on any kind of sprint schedule and I asked why I would do that when I'm the only developer working in my area. Sure, lemme just add ceremony overhead that nobody is paying attention to, okay. Same reason all my commits have been straight to master since like a month into this job, when I realized nobody would ever review my code.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

CPColin posted:

Jamming a group of people who don't collaborate into a "team" and making them do Agile is the loving worst and has happened to me in two different jobs. It's about to happen to me as part of a reorg at my current job and I'm strongly pushing back.

My boss asked me if I'm on any kind of sprint schedule and I asked why I would do that when I'm the only developer working in my area. Sure, lemme just add ceremony overhead that nobody is paying attention to, okay. Same reason all my commits have been straight to master since like a month into this job, when I realized nobody would ever review my code.

Even if you're working alone it still makes sense to have a backlog and some small degree of process and organization. For exactly the reason you're encountering: You can get away with more poo poo when you're working alone but it makes it hard for other people to jump in and help or pick up where you left off if you're unavailable. Also being able to tie "we've had a problem sneaking past us for 3 months" to "here's what I was working on 3 months ago"

Also being able to justify and quantify the work you do is important when it comes time to discuss career path and salary bumps. This is not a good conversation to have:
"What did you do this year? Why do you want more money?"
"Uh I don't know I wrote a bunch of code and I think it helped? And I probably fixed more bugs than I introduced."

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I started an agile-like process in the middle a project where I was the only programmer, and it went great. But really, any organization would have gone great. I just needed me, my boss, and the client to get on the same page.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Even if you're working alone it still makes sense to have a backlog and some small degree of process and organization.

For sure, I have my backlog of tickets and I work from it, recording my progress along the way. I was just saying there was no point in breaking it into two-week sprints when it's just me.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

CPColin posted:

Jamming a group of people who don't collaborate into a "team" and making them do Agile is the loving worst

:yeah:

I've had this exact thing and it's terrible. Also had standups be really productive and facilitate good communication between team members.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Even if you're working alone it still makes sense to have a backlog and some small degree of process and organization. For exactly the reason you're encountering: You can get away with more poo poo when you're working alone but it makes it hard for other people to jump in and help or pick up where you left off if you're unavailable. Also being able to tie "we've had a problem sneaking past us for 3 months" to "here's what I was working on 3 months ago"

Also being able to justify and quantify the work you do is important when it comes time to discuss career path and salary bumps. This is not a good conversation to have:
"What did you do this year? Why do you want more money?"
"Uh I don't know I wrote a bunch of code and I think it helped? And I probably fixed more bugs than I introduced."

Once it gets to that point I don't think "other people to jump in and help or pick up where you left off if you're unavailable" is a worry.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

quote:

People over processes

Oh no, they printed this all wrong

quote:

People over. Processes!

There we are.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
You ever get a feeling that today just is gonna be one of those days?

:smith:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Protocol7 posted:

Roof is being replaced today. So yes.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Protocol7 posted:

yes, monday

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like someone has a case of the mondays.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Protocol7 posted:

It's Monday.

I'm waiting for an offer letter from $newjob so I can tell my current employer to gently caress off. This feeling has only intensified as I got one of Those emails from my manager this morning about timesheets of all things.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Today is the day I have to finish my self-evaluation and drat if I’m not posting instead

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:justpost:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

csammis posted:

Today is the day I have to finish my self-evaluation and drat if I’m not posting instead

Jokes on you, if your manager is anything like me, they will also wait until the last possible day to look at the self evaluation and just post instead.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
i'm tired today and gosh darnit i just don't feel like working

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

csammis posted:

My boss quit last week, which is making the performance management process much easier to deal with than it ordinarily would be.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > The Cavern of COBOL > Working in Development: I just don't feel like working

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > The Cavern of COBOL > Working in Development: I just don't feel like working

Works for both the developer AND their work!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Volmarias posted:

Works for both the developer AND their work!

:five:

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ultrafilter posted:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

ultrafilter posted:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ultrafilter posted:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Oh, I thought it was just me.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ultrafilter posted:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ultrafilter posted:

yea

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Posting therapy time:

I feel like the way my team solves problems is pretty much the exact polar opposite of the way I'd solve problems and this kills my motivation to do work stuff out. So put me on the 'I just don't feel like working' bus.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > The Cavern of COBOL > Working in Development: I'd love to be working but my calendar is full of useless status meetings that take up 5 hours of my day and the gaps between status meetings don't give me enough time to do any real work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

That's the one