Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jokes on you the best looking anime movie is the Digimon Movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

thank you stux for reminding me i need to go do my semi-yearly rewatch of dead leaves :v:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

stev posted:

Jokes on you the best looking anime movie is the Digimon Movie.

That's right.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i don't have a definitive favorite or anything but I've seen promare, ride your wave, and the night is short walk on girl recently and they were all rad, would recommend

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The last Smash trailer is just the plot of Digimon: Our War Game again, the plot of Summer Wars again, only this time it's a literal anthropomorphized Hanafuda entity who saves the day and is then revealed to be the last DLC fighter.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Thank you all for reinforcing my Wolf Children opinions and proving those people who told me otherwise they were wrong and I wasnt the only who thought it was good

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Robot Carnival was a weirdass series of short stories spanning different genres of anime and was really great to look at too. It’s something I don’t think I hear about in the context of other anime OVAs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JyR51psl15c

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Hello games chat. Meet Patches

Patches is a stray cat that my mother in law & her husband domesticated. Or maybe Patches domesticated them. Patches started hanging around the farmhouse a couple years ago during a particularly cold winter. She was extremely skittish and would not come in the house unless there was a clear escape route. There's an amazing photo of my mother in law all bundled in winter gear reaching a food bowl across the kitchen floor as Patches looks on suspiciously from the wide open door into minus 30 weather.

These days, Patches comes by around 6pm for dinner. If she feels OK about the situation, she will come inside, pr poke her head and run away, or come in and allow herself to be petted. Sometimes she spends the night.

Everyone is desperate for approval from Patches.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Patches is a good kitty (imo)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

Patches is a stray cat that my mother in law & her husband domesticated. Or maybe Patches domesticated them.

keeping up the tradition

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Patches looks like she could kill you in an instant

an excellent cat

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

ChickenHeart posted:

Patches looks like she could kill you in an instant

an excellent cat

Cats don't bring you dead mice as a present it's a reminder they know where your jugular is too

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

drat playism loving sucks lol

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i am also desperate for patches' approval

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Looper posted:

i am also desperate for patches' approval

yeah can you have patches rate every poster in the thread

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I'm gonna need to leave the thread open by the porch for like five days before she even deigns to look.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thinking about getting back into Magic the Gathering: Arena, I saw that they are scraping up more Innistrad stuff? I fell off after Eldraine...

that was two years ago?! that doesn't seem right

Edit:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

drat playism loving sucks lol
at least their PR guy is working hard

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blue Fire is pretty good. descriptions have been all over the place so I will say that it is basically a 3D Zelda title, in a cute-Soulsy atmosphere, with demanding 3D platforming & exploration.

I had thought that maybe Recompile would be the first new 3D metroidvania in a while, but then here's Blue Fire in the same year. although to be clear, Recompile is definitely on the Metroid side of things, and Blue Fire is on the Zelda side. New abilities are kept inside of dungeons, there are combat rooms where the door locks and when you clear the room a chest will appear, there's the equivalent of a Boss Key, you have hearts instead of hit points, each temple has its own gimmick, there's Z-targeting, etc.

As always the most important thing about an indie game with 3d platforming is: how does the jumping feel. And it feels mostly fine to me. This is another one like Psychonauts where jump height is determined by how long you hold the jump button, but at least that game got me used to it. Similarly, your dash (and air dash) can be cancelled at any time by letting go of the trigger, which actually is really handy for precision platforming, which there's a lot of. In addition to the open world, there are "void levels" which are 3D Mario type levels (some have compared them to the FLUDD-less levels of Mario Sunshine) that reward you with a heart container at the end, kind of like BOTW's Shrines. There are 16 void levels to be found in the game and you start with 4 hearts, so there you go, 20 max.

Also like a Zelda game, you start with a small pouch of money and have to upgrade it to hold more. You might come across odd items that end up being needed for sidequests, like book sets for example. There's a main town in the game (which, btw, dang everyone lives in a hard to reach area, no one wants to interact with anyone else it seems!) with NPCs that have sidequests or shops. At the tavern/inn you can buy additional fire essence slots which are the game's estus flasks. You can buy alternate tunics for your character if you're tired of the dark grey, and you can buy spirits which grant you a passive buff. Throughout the game you'll also find a lot of gems which you can sell for easy money.. honestly money wasn't too much of a concern in the game, so even if you lose it from dying, you can get money back just from the gem trade.

Exploring is pretty important because you'll find new more powerful swords in chests just in the world. And there's a lot of "can I get up there? turns out yes I can" jumping around. I'd say that Recompile's platforming felt a bit crisper, especially on sticking the landings, but at least Blue Fire's movement gives you what you need to aim and land properly, it's just not AS tight and you can end up slipping off the edge of a platform after landing if you're not careful. For some reason both Blue Fire AND Recompile have an area where you jump around on pipes and no one told them this was a bad idea... it's honestly not that big a deal because in the end they're just reskinned platforms that happen to be thinner, but it was weird to see this pop up in two separate 3D platformers in the same year.

Biggest issue with the game is a lack of a map, and I don't think they can claim stylistic preference on this, because... Zelda games have maps. And while getting lost isn't gonna happen too often, it's a bit weird in dungeons to not have something to reference to see if you've gone down a certain path yet. They're still doing content updates to the game and none have included a map so I don't think it's gonna happen, or maybe they just don't want to have to work out a mapping system for a 3D platformer (but I feel like we're deep enough into modern 3D gaming that mapping questions have enough creative solutions to pull from)

It's not the prettiest game, seems like it was probably made by a smaller studio so it goes with a slightly more minimalist art direction, although that means that the atmosphere they're trying to build has to be done more with palette, mist, depth of field, and how rooms are built to be shown through the framing of the camera (like the above image). The geometry is more akin to a PS2 game, textures are not very high-res, and the models go with cel shading over traditional lighting (this looks fine though, imo). It's not the most congruent look, but it is passable enough and since this is the developer's first game, I'm sure the next will get a bit more ambitious with the stylization.

i'd say it's a close to 8 out of 10 game, I just wish it had a map is all. right now it's sitting at #9 in my top 2021 games list

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Nightmare Before Christmas is the best christmas movie

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Patches is cool

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Which anime is this? I've seen this gif before and I've always wondered where it came from.

FirstAidKite posted:

Patches is cool

This one too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Which anime is this? I've seen this gif before and I've always wondered where it came from.

dead leaves

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cromartie High School.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thank you!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone play Stellaris I'm not good at 4x games and I am wondering how to raise population on my planets because the ones I've colonised have had like 3 people on them for the past 10 years

I've been buying new districts but idk it doesn't seem to do much

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

a way better show than it had any right to be and this guy was one of the big reasons

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqVoEpRIaKg

haveblue posted:

a way better show than it had any right to be and this guy was one of the big reasons
Press F to pay your respects to the Beast Wizard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufw9gSZu_sg

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone play Stellaris I'm not good at 4x games and I am wondering how to raise population on my planets because the ones I've colonised have had like 3 people on them for the past 10 years

I've been buying new districts but idk it doesn't seem to do much

Some techs increase pop growth, some buildings too (Gene Hospitals I think they’re called), also there’s a planetary decision you can take that increases the planet’s attractiveness to migrants iirc

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've now completed the Dark Side ending of Force Unleashed which is very clearly non-canon as the entire rebellion dies before it's born but it was still worth it to take one last victory lap through the game. I think this might be my favourite peace of Star Wars media outside the original trilogy. It's so faithful to the tone of the movies and tells a story that feels like it deserved to be told unlike pretty much everything else in the SWEU. Starkiller's journey from cold Sith apprentice to flowed really well, the side characters like Juno and Proxy and Kota were well realised despite their minimal screentime, the locations popped and there were some cool set pieces, the force powers were always fun to play with and by the end when I was whaling away on AT-STs I felt so powerful. It's a game worth playing even if you're not into Star Wars, it's just that fun.

Tomorrow: Wario Land Shake It!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I bought Gravity Rush for my Vita because the demo was fun and it seems pretty cool so far.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Walla posted:

I bought Gravity Rush for my Vita because the demo was fun and it seems pretty cool so far.

pro tip: using gyro camera controls is every bit as good as full VR, at least in terms of flailing around your room like an idiot

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there an easy place to start in Mortal Shell? It seems brutal compared to even soulslikes, very little healing, parrying costs a resource, the dodge has pretty generous iframes but otherwise you're as slow as a heavy weapon armour dude in DS and your block has to recharge.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

pro tip: using gyro camera controls is every bit as good as full VR, at least in terms of flailing around your room like an idiot

Flailing like an idiot is the idea. :)

Also thinking about Doodle God but the demo crashed on me and I'm not sure how well it would hold my attention. And I just got burned on War Theatre.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Every now and then, I start laughing for no discernible reason.

My wife will say, "Are you thinking about long clowns again?" and, lord help me, the answer is, "Yes."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Walla posted:

Flailing like an idiot is the idea. :)

I would never disagree

Killzone Mercenary also has optional gyro aiming but it's less flaily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Multiverse Mod 5.0 for FTL dropped and if you enjoyed the game without mods I would highly recommend it, it's like falling in love again. Also playable flagship.