Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Toaster Beef posted:

That's technically true, but also Ertz had 1,000+ yards in 2018.

With few exceptions, the Eagles just kinda haven't been great with wide receivers. People dogged them for years about not giving McNabb any support, so they went and got Owens. Immediately went to the Super Bowl, then that whole thing fell apart. Since then it's, what, Jackson and Maclin? The 2017 team that won the Super Bowl spread the ball around bigtime and was able to rely on the inexplicably productive decaying husk of Torrey Smith and an uncharacteristically sure-handed year from Agholor.

I think the Eagles also don't generally have a standout WR that gets targeted a lot. Doug spread the ball around a lot and used TEs as a safety for Wentz, so it's not like a WR was getting a shitload of catches per game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

euphronius posted:

They had amazing TEs and pass catching Rbs

Also alshon Jeffries was good

Yeah, I'm talking exclusively WRs. Despite a paucity of WR talent, they've done well utilizing great TEs and pass-catching RBs. Going from Celek to Ertz and now Goedert has been awesome, and it seems like the Eagles just sorta pluck really solid RBs out of the ether on a regular basis.

Legitimately forgot Jeffery existed. Big part of that 2017 team, though. He's another example of a WR who delivered for us and was seemingly gone in a flash.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They def have a cap management structure that does not have WRs at the top of the food chain which honestly has worked out for them

Jeffries was the last one they paid anything at all

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He got hurt (which happens all the time in the nfl) and had a big old personality conflict with the trash chud antivax poo poo fucker which I can understand

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Jeffery, Jackson, Maclin, Ertz (who is not a real TE), Celek, Avant, Torrey, TO, and now Smith and Reagor. I don't think its a realm in which we necessarily fail, this is just Eagles fans being mad about a few bum years at the position.

Jeffery counts in that he gave us 1.5 years but I would say he was basically a bust. I had very high hopes for him but he pumpkined hard.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Though I am definitely a Fulgham truther and believe it was stupid and bad of us to cut him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He got hurt he didn’t pumpkin lol

Also he played for a QB WHO LITERALLY DID NOT THROW TO WRS

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Though I am definitely a Fulgham truther and believe it was stupid and bad of us to cut him.

:agreed:

It's ridiculous that they wouldn't at least keep him on as the 4th or 5th guy. I guess who needs a big receiver that can get open downfield?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

euphronius posted:

He got hurt he didn’t pumpkin lol

Also he played for a QB WHO LITERALLY DID NOT THROW TO WRS

Bruh it's not about his direct production, it's about how he opens up the offense. Jeffery fell off a cliff in 2019 before the Lisfranc and 2020 he had a full year to recover from it and still did piddling poo poo. I call that pumpkining.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the James thrash / Todd pinkston years just caused collective psychosis on eagles fans about WRs due to the - at the time - immense cultural influence of the idiots at WIP morning show who thought the situation was the worst thing in the world even tho it was a west coast offense (spread the ball around)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Bruh it's not about his direct production, it's about how he opens up the offense. Jeffery fell off a cliff in 2019 before the Lisfranc and 2020 he had a full year to recover from it and still did piddling poo poo. I call that pumpkining.

I’m not looking it up but I believe he had a bad shoulder injury in 2018 too which he never really recovered from

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

:agreed:

It's ridiculous that they wouldn't at least keep him on as the 4th or 5th guy. I guess who needs a big receiver that can get open downfield?

Every beat reporter who went to training camp said he was dogshit all camp

Also JJ A-W is their huge receiver atm

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Quez Watkins has shown a lot more to me than the guy who was cut

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

That's technically true, but also Ertz had 1,000+ yards in 2018.

With few exceptions, the Eagles just kinda haven't been great with wide receivers. People dogged them for years about not giving McNabb any support, so they went and got Owens. Immediately went to the Super Bowl, then that whole thing fell apart. Since then it's, what, Jackson and Maclin? The 2017 team that won the Super Bowl spread the ball around bigtime and was able to rely on the inexplicably productive decaying husk of Torrey Smith and an uncharacteristically sure-handed year from Agholor.

Weird that Agholor was able to catch the ball from Foles that year and from Carr last year. I wonder what was different the other years?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MrLogan posted:

Weird that Agholor was able to catch the ball from Foles that year and from Carr last year. I wonder what was different the other years?

Ikr

I was on that immediately last year

Algol are had to go anyway due to his contract . He’s good but not good enough for a post rookie scale deal (From the eagles POV)

Smith is probably going to get one tho. Raegor will be gone even tho he seems to be ok .

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

euphronius posted:

I’m not looking it up but I believe he had a bad shoulder injury in 2018 too which he never really recovered from

He did recover from it and in 2018 he did okay. You've internalized excuses propagated by WIP

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Motherfucker how dare you

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

MrLogan posted:

I've never really been clear on this: Is the assertion here that Agholor sandbagged Wentz? Or is it more that Wentz had gently caress awful communication with everyone who wasn't a TE?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wentz was (is) a terrible QB who made WRs look way worse

Both on the field and off

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I believed that Foles and Wentz and Vick would all be franchise QBs. I don't believe in Hurts.

Hurts is going to win us a Superbowl.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I guess I'm mostly just pushing back against the assertion that Agholor only turned it on in 2017 once Foles stepped in. He definitely caught a higher percentage of the passes thrown his way (something like 15% more, IIRC) and averaged about one more reception per game, but his yards/game dropped a bit and he went from eight TDs in 13 weeks to one TD in six weeks.

Like, I'm with y'all on Wentz being a shitlord, I just think Agholor was doing well for himself in 2017 even with Wentz at QB.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

2017 wentz wasn’t that bad

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was at the game in LA where he got hurt. The whole stadium was chanting "Big Dick Nick!" (It was 90% eagles fans in the crowd.) You would have no idea Wentz was on track to be a very real MVP contender that year the way everyone reacted to Foles.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

(It was 90% eagles fans in the crowd.)

Lol wtf?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The rams had no LA fans the first couple years

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

euphronius posted:

They still dont

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

euphronius posted:

Yeah the 60's were rough

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
EagLOLs

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I was having so much fun to just complete utter shock and disappointment and you know what I deserve it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Carson Wentz went to a new conference, a new division, and by god he still thinks it's clownball time.

Shovel pass INT, lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the Colts offensive line is bad. The rams are cutting through it like butter

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1439675136756625411?s=21

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ready to see this cowboys game

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Hurts bad Eagy bad

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

End of an era

Rip hurts

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Would not be surprised if they trade for Watson tomorrow

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Well, they tried.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm not surprise the eagles lost to SF. 49ers defense is legit, they can run the rock and Hurts isn't built to attack them.

I gotta check the highlights and see how Quez Watkins had 2 catches for a buck seventeen and a 91 yard reception without a TD.

SF is tough and the NFCW is ungodly.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

BiggerBoat posted:

I gotta check the highlights

I implore you to reconsider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/RealDGunn/status/1439683355663077379?s=19