Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Zaroff posted:

Assuming it’s not included in the ridiculous amount of studio footage, I suspect they didn’t have time to film it and figured it wasn’t worth doing later.

Of course, they should have just gone for the more traditional cliffhanger of Mel screaming as they meet the dragon...

The entirety of Season 24 was commissioned, written, and shot at the last possible moment. It’s a miracle any of it is any good at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Tony Selby has definitely died this time. :smith:

https://twitter.com/RadioTimes/status/1435233901731979264?s=20

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

In lieu of flowers, please send grotzis to the charity of your choice.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Big Finish are making middle-aged Ace a thing now, which is pretty interesting. I'm still surprised they haven't done a story about Ace's departure to Gallifrey yet though.

I've been watching Annika, and while its been a fairly by the numbers murder mystery show so far, Nicola Walker has been great in it as the lead character. She's playing a flawed detective who breaks the fourth wall to talk to the camera. Paul McGann guest stars as a therapist who treats Annika's daughter, and Walker and McGann still have that great chemistry despite playing very different characters to The Doctor and Liv. There's a bit where they're bantering about different historical dates that feels very Doctor Who-esque. Walker said that she never wants to play Liv in live action, so that scene felt like some strange alternative timeline where Dark Eyes was a TV serial.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 8, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They have done stories of Ace on Gallifrey; like Gallifrey: Extinction, Time War 1, and Dark Universe.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Big Finish are making middle-aged Ace a thing now, which is pretty interesting. I'm still surprised they haven't done a story about Ace's departure to Gallifrey yet though.

I've been watching Annika, and while its been a fairly by the numbers murder mystery show so far, Nicola Walker has been great in it as the lead character. She's playing a flawed detective who breaks the fourth wall to talk to the camera. Paul McGann guest stars as a therapist who treats Annika's daughter, and Walker and McGann still have that great chemistry despite playing very different characters to The Doctor and Liv. There's a bit where they're bantering about different historical dates that feels very Doctor Who-esque. Walker said that she never wants to play Liv in live action, so that scene felt like some strange alternative timeline where Dark Eyes was a TV serial.

https://twitter.com/FinishedZine/status/1436027483292409856?s=20

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FymZvIS5VVU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Foreshadowing the attire of the other Doctor that was played by a man named Baker.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He does the ‘Who knows’ nose flick. :3:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I read a news item where Eccleston basically said that his one season on NuWho was a "nightmare" and that the "politics [were] raging", and that his relationship with RTD and Julie Gardner had "completely broken down". And that he'd made an agreement with RTD that he'd leave and they'd keep it quiet and he would continue to do publicity for the show until he'd left, only for RTD and/or the other producers and/or the BBC to turn around and publicly announce that he was leaving, with the reason given for his departure being that he was "tired" (about which Eccleston said he'd never said that, and that the only thing that was tiring was dealing with RTD, Gardner, and Phil Collinson).

So between making GBS threads on Eccleston and letting John Barrowman get his dick out whether people wanted to see it or not (to say nothing of what they probably turned a blind eye to re: Noel Clarke), I think it's fair to say RTD and Julie Gardner can go gently caress themselves.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

People who aren't watching Annika are missing out. McGann and Walker were wonderful together in this week's episode. It got a bit 'Airzone solution', if you get what I mean.

Big Finish are having a sale for India Fisher's birthday, so I grabbed Scherzo and The Natural History of Fear due to how well received they are, and Return of the Krotons to finish off the Charley/6 run. I think I'll get the solo series as a bundle, if season 3 ever gets finished. The Last Adventure and Legacy of Time always seem to be incredibly expensive, even when on sale, which has put me off buying them.

Is it just me, or does India Fisher look like a different person in each promo photo that Big Finish uses for Charley?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1437445982199824388?s=19

FANTASTIC!!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

He’s back! And it’s about time!

wait

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hopefully whomever is chosen to show-run Doctor Who after Chibnall leaves can convince Eccleston to do a 60th Anniversary special. Hell, hire Joe Ahearne to direct and sweeten the deal.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Love Lil Nas X’s Light (from Ghost Light) cosplay at the Met Gala last night.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I read a news item where Eccleston basically said that his one season on NuWho was a "nightmare" and that the "politics [were] raging", and that his relationship with RTD and Julie Gardner had "completely broken down". And that he'd made an agreement with RTD that he'd leave and they'd keep it quiet and he would continue to do publicity for the show until he'd left, only for RTD and/or the other producers and/or the BBC to turn around and publicly announce that he was leaving, with the reason given for his departure being that he was "tired" (about which Eccleston said he'd never said that, and that the only thing that was tiring was dealing with RTD, Gardner, and Phil Collinson).

So between making GBS threads on Eccleston and letting John Barrowman get his dick out whether people wanted to see it or not (to say nothing of what they probably turned a blind eye to re: Noel Clarke), I think it's fair to say RTD and Julie Gardner can go gently caress themselves.

Eccleston's memory is a bit off; as I recall, the BBC's release was actually a bit worse, saying that he was leaving the series over fear of being typecast, and they ultimately had to retract the entire piece about a week later.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Timby posted:

Eccleston's memory is a bit off; as I recall, the BBC's release was actually a bit worse, saying that he was leaving the series over fear of being typecast, and they ultimately had to retract the entire piece about a week later.

Ah yes the very famous Dr. Who episode, "GasLight".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1438140677771124741?s=21

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My guess? All the scenes with the Chumblies are super-cheap to animate.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Edward Mass posted:

Plus aside from the regular cast, the only humanoid characters you need to animate are Maaga and a Drahvin (who you can just copy and paste a few times).

And I suppose the guy in the Mission to the Unknown cliffhanger at the end of Episode 4....

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Peter Capaldi liked this.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Ooooh, does this mean they're starting in on Season 3?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Edward Mass posted:

Yeah, especially since Peter Capaldi did them all by hand and submitted them to the BBC unprompted.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

isntead of #findthedoxtor they should find chibnals p45

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'm teaching a course, and the specification of work calls for a lesson on Doctor Who....

For a visual aid on a question about Big Finish, I'm looking for publicity photos of actors recording together in the studio - does anyone know anywhere online I can find some? The recent one of Colin Baker and Bonnie Langford recording together is fine, but some of my other visual aids have the Seventh Doctor, so one of McCoy in booth might be a useful aid for students unfamiliar with the show. Google is coming up with publicity photos of casts together, but not during recording, or actors showing off their lockdown recording set up.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 16, 2021

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

OldMemes posted:

I'm teaching a course, and the specification of work calls for a lesson on Doctor Who....

For a visual aid on a question about Big Finish, I'm looking for publicity photos of actors recording together in the studio - does anyone know anywhere online I can find some? The recent one of Colin Baker and Bonnie Langford recording together is fine, but some of my other visual aids have the Seventh Doctor, so one of McCoy in booth might be a useful aid for students unfamiliar with the show. Google is coming up with publicity photos of casts together, but not during recording, or actors showing off their lockdown recording set up.

Honestly, I'd maybe drop the company an email and explain, they probably have loads of shots like that and might be totally happy to email you some for education purposes. Costs nothing to try at least!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Lemme see if I can find any in my big old Big Finish book

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

How's this? It's from like 20 years ago but wahey!

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Edward Mass posted:

Hopefully whomever is chosen to show-run Doctor Who after Chibnall leaves can convince Eccleston to do a 60th Anniversary special. Hell, hire Joe Ahearne to direct and sweeten the deal.

Christ. I’m trying to get my head round the fact that the 60th is only 26 months away…

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

SiKboy posted:

Honestly, I'd maybe drop the company an email and explain, they probably have loads of shots like that and might be totally happy to email you some for education purposes. Costs nothing to try at least!

I bet they would jump all over this, absolutely agree.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm blown away by the amount of big finish Tom Baker has done. The big question is... Is it worth getting into?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Confusedslight posted:

I'm blown away by the amount of big finish Tom Baker has done. The big question is... Is it worth getting into?

Tom himself is always worth the listen--he's clearly having a great time doing it. YMMV on modern big finish writing. Not to be a Debbie downer but a lot of their output lately reminds me of the MCU films. It's fine, but not outstanding or envelope pushing, and a lot of the fun is "characters and/or actors you enjoy making you smile as they interact".

That's not a bad thing, but it's a very specific type of Acceptable

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Other than contacting BF, the best option (and most time consuming) is to go to BF's website itself, click on each individual release, and clicking on the "Backstage" tab. Not every release has backstage photos, but some do.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Robert J. Omb posted:

Christ. I’m trying to get my head round the fact that the 60th is only 26 months away…

Yeah, it feels there have only been 5 seasons since the 50th Anniversary!
:negative:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BF just announced the first Tom boxset for 2022, and it was recorded in 2017. So I'm hoping they're planning ahead and recording stuff for the 60th, just in case Eccleston changes his mind later.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Was listening to a podcast interview Jodie did with Craig Parkinson a couple of years back and she sounds so lovely and enthusiastic and full of joy, saying how playing such a positive character had rubbed off onto her in real life and so on. It just depresses me that she got lumbered with sodding Chibnall, she deserved so much better.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/doctorwhopn/status/1439215857348055042

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Boo loving hoo.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
You could have not kept whipping your cock out at every opportunity, but hey, your choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Character are doing a Five Doctors 3-pack with a Raston Warrior Robot! The most perfect killing machine ever devised!