Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

n8r posted:

Search for “brake lever sleeve” on Amazon. $10 will get you a bunch of rubber covers that solve the problem. I’ve gotten so used to them I ride them all year.
That's not gonna fix the lackluster power and uneven piston extension on my T4's tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Finally made it to the whistler bike park. Unsurprisingly it was awesome. I just ripped around on blue flow trails all day until my hands died from the brake bumps.

Probably won't make it back this season but that place owns.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Went to Panorama yesterday for closing day at the bike park. I got my rear end kicked but it was hella fun.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I was going to head to Whistler with my family this weekend but stayed in because the weather looked awful. I actually had the worst season yet in terms of riding days - only about 5-6 days and I bought a seasons pass. poo poo.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

If I have an 11 speed 11-36 cassette and upgrade it to an 11-42 11 speed do I need to also upgrade the rear derailleur?

My cassette is so worn out the chain skips on it so I have to replace it, the chainring, and the chain. Thanks previous bike owners who never changed the chain before I bought it!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Depends what derailleur you have.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah look up if you have the short or long cage. Long cage you're probably fine. Short will probably not like it I'd guess. I had a short cage 10 speed and tried to do the same swap. Even with the wolf tooth link or whatever it's called it still shifted like hot garbage.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

If I have an 11 speed 11-36 cassette and upgrade it to an 11-42 11 speed do I need to also upgrade the rear derailleur?

My cassette is so worn out the chain skips on it so I have to replace it, the chainring, and the chain. Thanks previous bike owners who never changed the chain before I bought it!

Keep holding out! your bike will surely show up in the next.......... it is never coming.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Eejit posted:

Is it XT? Both XT rear mechs will work with an 11-46 as a 1x drivetrain.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

I'm thinking of making my Kona Honzo a bit more nimble since I tend to do more climbing/distance on it rather than shred down a diamond/black. Would tires be the best place to start? It's currently running: Maxxis DHF 29x2.5" front and Dissector 29x2.3" rear. I'm in socal so it's always dry and sandy. Bonus if it's something that will make the paved part to the trails a bit less of a slog.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Is it normal to have bigger tires on the front? I don't claim to be an expert but I just had to replace my rear and when I checked my factory specs the front was a 2.3" and the back a 2.4"

Edit: this is why you double-check before you post.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 16, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nocheez posted:

Is it normal to have bigger tires on the front? I don't claim to be an expert but I just had to replace my rear and when I checked my factory specs the front was a 2.3" and the back a 2.4"

Yes it is, otherwise your rear tracks uphill basically. You want equal or larger on front generally.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Well I'm an idiot. I definitely got the right tire for my rear but the front is a 2.5"

I blame having a newborn and no sleep.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The bike still works tbh, it's a really minor difference in most circumstances.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Also you generally want a thinner, faster rolling/lower traction tire on the test than the front so it breaks free first as it's much easier to catch a back end slide than a front.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
Yeah, losing the front is something you want to never happen , rear is acceptable.
You could run a thinner ply tire up front to lose weight - eg 2.3 exo+ rear, 2.4 exo front or 2.4 doubledown rear, 2.5 exo+ front - that sort of thing.
Typically its the rear that needs the tougher casing, as its gets most of the worst square edge hits(this depends on how likely these are on your trails).

Exo+ is the absolute minimum id run on the rear - from personal experience basic exo wont take any abuse with sharp rocks.

Im currently running doubledown shorty(2.5 WT max grip) with exo+ dhr2 (2.4 WT max terra). That was a mistake on my part(poor wet season planning on my part) and probably next time ill have the casings reversed(but keep the compounds the same). Ive run doubledown on the rear previously, and its pretty bullet proof for me.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
So my "clunky" drivetrain issue was partly due to needing to turn my barrel adjuster just a bit and mostly due, I'm assuming, to some minor pitting in my rear hub. It's completely ridable and my LBS and I agree "just ride it until it breaks". These rims aren't tubeless ready so an upgrade is needed anyway.

People around here are describing techy trails as "old school single track". Does that imply that it's a dying demand in the mtb community? I've found myself having more fun on those trails than some of the "new school flow" I've tried.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steak posted:

So my "clunky" drivetrain issue was partly due to needing to turn my barrel adjuster just a bit and mostly due, I'm assuming, to some minor pitting in my rear hub. It's completely ridable and my LBS and I agree "just ride it until it breaks". These rims aren't tubeless ready so an upgrade is needed anyway.

People around here are describing techy trails as "old school single track". Does that imply that it's a dying demand in the mtb community? I've found myself having more fun on those trails than some of the "new school flow" I've tried.

All the bike edits these days are 17 year olds drifting berms and doing tricks so flow trails with jumps tend to be really popular - anecdotally at Whistler you see 3-4x the traffic on jump trails as you would any serious tech trail. It's a different skillset, it's probably less fun to ride with 5 friends, etc. I don't think tech is ever going away so I'm not super bothered by it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

You can take my rough tech from my numb dead legs. :freep:

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

numptyboy posted:

You could run a thinner ply tire up front to lose weight - eg 2.3 exo+ rear, 2.4 exo front or 2.4 doubledown rear, 2.5 exo+ front - that sort of thing.
Typically its the rear that needs the tougher casing, as its gets most of the worst square edge hits(this depends on how likely these are on your trails).

Exo+ is the absolute minimum id run on the rear - from personal experience basic exo wont take any abuse with sharp rocks.

I've done some digging around and was thinking of something like:

- Ikon 2.20 OR Rekon 2.20 as the back tire
- Ardent Race 2.35 or 2.20 as the front or Rekon 2.30?

Local LBS said that Rekon would still be fine for local climbs but I would need to be more careful on descending. Would 2.35 vs 2.2 in the front have much impact on handling? I think my goal is to really try and get something that would work best on fire roads and some pavement to get to the park.

paberu fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 18, 2021

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The rekon 2.4 has bigger knobs than the 2.25 by quite a bit. I wasn't all that thrilled with the 2.25 rekons that came on my hei hei but I'm considering a 2.4 rear with a dissector front. I think rekon/rekon race or rekon/ikon would be good faster rolling f/r combos as well.

Ardent race I wasn't ever thrilled with as a front tire- you need to really get it over on edge for it to grip. I've tended to prefer something with a little more even knob pattern although a modern bike with a dropper is a lot easier.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

jamal posted:

The rekon 2.4 has bigger knobs than the 2.25 by quite a bit. I wasn't all that thrilled with the 2.25 rekons that came on my hei hei but I'm considering a 2.4 rear with a dissector front. I think rekon/rekon race or rekon/ikon would be good faster rolling f/r combos as well.

Ardent race I wasn't ever thrilled with as a front tire- you need to really get it over on edge for it to grip. I've tended to prefer something with a little more even knob pattern although a modern bike with a dropper is a lot easier.

Kinda seconding this, I've been scarred and the idea of anything with 'Ardent' written on it that you have to lean hard on is filling me with a sort of cold dread.

If it were me I'd go for a 2.4" Rekon front, and then pick from a narrower Rekon, Ikon or Rekon Race on a sliding scale of grip <> fast rolling.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

2.4" Rekon front and 2.2 Ikon back it is then!

Thanks for helping me get this narrowed down :).

paberu fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 18, 2021

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If you've got room I'd probably do the 2.35 ikon rear.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

With the 2.3 Minion DHF I get 1cm middle tread and 5mm side tread clearance from the chainstays/BB. This is on a WTB STi30 Rim (30mm internal width). The Minion DHF measure out to be 60mm wide and 55.5 tall.

I'm not sure if the 2.35 Ikons will clear the sides or not.

paberu fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 18, 2021

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Rekon Race in the back wouldnt be bad. Ive never liked the 2.2 Ikon as a rear.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

Jehde posted:

You can take my rough tech from my numb dead legs. :freep:

:respek:

Are Crankbros Stamps worth the premium? I had race face chesters but the bearing on one of them blew up and fell off while I was on a fast flow line yesterday lol.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I have had no reliability issues with mine but I'm not a huge fan of the design, the lack of pins on the inside middle area makes them feel weird imo. Not enough to get something different to replace them but if they disappeared I'd get something else. Not sure what though, maybe burgtechs?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

RF atlas are the metal versions of the Chester and I like them quite a lot.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Steak posted:

:respek:

Are Crankbros Stamps worth the premium? I had race face chesters but the bearing on one of them blew up and fell off while I was on a fast flow line yesterday lol.

i have a pair of stamp 1 composites on for the similar price as the chesters and the first thing i noticed was how much less the stamps hold me in place, i can rotate my foot very easily on the stamps compared to the chesters in the same shoes.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

paberu posted:

I've done some digging around and was thinking of something like:

- Ikon 2.20 OR Rekon 2.20 as the back tire
- Ardent Race 2.35 or 2.20 as the front or Rekon 2.30?

Local LBS said that Rekon would still be fine for local climbs but I would need to be more careful on descending. Would 2.35 vs 2.2 in the front have much impact on handling? I think my goal is to really try and get something that would work best on fire roads and some pavement to get to the park.

Think that sounds fine - as long as you like the grip you get. I wouldnt get too hung up on 2.35 vs 2.2 up front - just make sure they are fit for purpose and you arent running a bigger tire in the rear - I think this would feel pretty weird when turning. The same size front and rear is fine.

Wider(and generally bigger) tires give better grip as you maximise surface in contact with the ground, but in return they cost you more effort to pedal.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

OhsH posted:

i have a pair of stamp 1 composites on for the similar price as the chesters and the first thing i noticed was how much less the stamps hold me in place, i can rotate my foot very easily on the stamps compared to the chesters in the same shoes.

Yeah, the chesters are great for keeping your feet in place. They're also great for shredding your shins when you gently caress up

VelociBacon posted:

RF atlas are the metal versions of the Chester and I like them quite a lot.

Are they the same width as the chesters? My only real gripe about the chesters (aside from them flying off the bike) are that they felt a tiny bit too small.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Steak posted:

Are they the same width as the chesters? My only real gripe about the chesters (aside from them flying off the bike) are that they felt a tiny bit too small.

grab a set of composite (unless you really want metal) kona wah wah 2s in large, that is where i ended up after having the same thoughts as you.

OhsH fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 20, 2021

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
What would cause a dropper post to rise incredibly slowly unless tapped with light pressure on the front or back of the seat?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Psychepath posted:

What would cause a dropper post to rise incredibly slowly unless tapped with light pressure on the front or back of the seat?

Probably something has shook loose and now it's slightly misaligned. I'd remove it and see if anything has come partially undone.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I did the marji gesick and now everything hurts

witness a heart rate profile of pure sadness

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Wet season is here and I have no fenders! Any suggestions on cheap ziptie-able front and rears for a 29er?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Psychepath posted:

Low on air? Most have a valve under the seat clamp (gotta remove saddle and clampy bits) you can fill up with a shock valve. Mine needs a fill 1x season, won't go all the way up or will need a little bump to get it to the top when it starts getting low.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Psychepath posted:

Take it apart and lube the moving bits then add air as suggested. Some aren't serviceable with a valve which sucks. My old bontrager was like this. Lubing it helped limp it along for a little while longer at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Are there any bikes coming stock with 1x gearing and dropper posts at 1k or under right now?