Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

NikkolasKing posted:

Is the Bond franchise one of those oddities where it's produced more for a foreign audience?

Like, is it more popular in America than in Britain?

The Fast & The Furious franchise is big in the US but it's even more of a worldwide phenomenon than domestic. The latest ones are making 75-80% of their revenue outside of the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Darko posted:

They can also spot-focus films depending on where they want money from due to it being about him traveling around the world and it being able to touch certain genres. Goldfinger was the one that blew the whole series up to how big it was and most was set in America. Movie after that was set in America and islands 100 miles away from the U.S., then we go to Asia/Japan and Europe, then back to America/Vegas in the next movie, and America and Jamaica (and the movie after that went back to Asia but threw in America's favorite sheriff!).

And to tack on to this, if I remember correctly Bond being so big in Japan is why they chose to do You Only Live Twice when they did

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There are some arbitrary(to an American at least) hurdles that movies have to get over to be released in China right? Like, anything supernatural with magic or ghosts is a no-go right? So sometimes that can effect which films end up making big international money, because obviously China is one of the biggest markets out there.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

There are some arbitrary(to an American at least) hurdles that movies have to get over to be released in China right? Like, anything supernatural with magic or ghosts is a no-go right? So sometimes that can effect which films end up making big international money, because obviously China is one of the biggest markets out there.

Many are self-imposed, pre-emptive decisions as the film industry globalizes its blockbuster productions to ensure a return on investment. Changes center around politically-sensitive issues, typically not blanket bans like NO GHOSTS ALLOWED.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/11/18/world/asia/china-movies.html

quote:

When the creators of “Pixels” wanted to show aliens blasting a hole in the Great Wall of China, Sony executives worried that the scene might prevent the 2015 movie’s release in China, leaked studio emails show. They blew up the Taj Mahal instead.

In the 1960s, Marvel Comics introduced a mystical guru character known as the Ancient One into its universe. He was portrayed as an elderly Tibetan man. But in the 2016 movie “Doctor Strange,” the Ancient One is Celtic, played by the white actress Tilda Swinton. Moviemakers decided to change the character’s ethnicity early in the process, reportedly to avoid offending the Chinese government.

This also begs the question of what studios have always done to appease the American government, especially when they want to depict the American military or have any use of military assets for productions. The answer: Quite a lot, in countless cases.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD5N_v4eY9o

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This also begs the question of what studios have always done to appease the American government, especially when they want to depict the American military or have any use of military assets for productions. The answer: Quite a lot, in countless cases.

Well yeah, if you want to use the military's own hardware (and sometimes even people!) they get veto power over the production that uses them.

This isn't good but it's kind of... obvious?

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 6, 2021

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Well yeah, if you want to use the military's own hardware (and sometimes even people!) they get veto power over the production that uses them.

This isn't good but it's kind of... obvious?

Well the point is that it's just sort of naive to believe studios aren't constantly marketing to both censors and audiences. 20-30 years ago there were still lots of Asian villains in cinemas. Now that the industry has really broken through to China, we avoid this but have a lot of Russian gangster antagonists, possibly more than ever.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
That's just a return to normal! The fifties all the way to the nineties had nothing but Russian villains.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

SolarFire2 posted:

That's just a return to normal! The fifties all the way to the nineties had nothing but Russian villains.

Except for the rare time they turn good to nostalgically help fight the germans (The Spy Who Loved Me)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Although, the actual Soviet Russians are never the true enemy of the film.
They may be adversaries, but in the end it's always either SPECTRE or a rogue general.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

SolarFire2 posted:

You forgot the drug lord villains from Live and Let Die and Licence to Kill. And the "genocide humanity" villain from Moonraker. And Goldfinger.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And spy who loved me

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah starting in the sixties pop culture steered a little bit away from Russian baddies- the Cold War was getting too real, especially after the Cuban Missile Crisis. Books and short fiction could still do a lot of hardline "kill the Commies" stuff but movies and TV in the spy genre preferred to have the villains be diabolical masterminds and make use of the "US and Russian agents have to reluctantly work together" trope.

And then in the Reagan era we steered right back to America vs The Evil Soviet Empire.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah starting in the sixties pop culture steered a little bit away from Russian baddies- the Cold War was getting too real, especially after the Cuban Missile Crisis. Books and short fiction could still do a lot of hardline "kill the Commies" stuff but movies and TV in the spy genre preferred to have the villains be diabolical masterminds and make use of the "US and Russian agents have to reluctantly work together" trope.

And then in the Reagan era we steered right back to America vs The Evil Soviet Empire.
In the Sixties and Seventies, there was a very definite feeling of "we don't want to offend the Soviets" by making them out-and-out evil villains on screen. Hence spy shows like Mission: Impossible and The Avengers mostly having fictional Eastern European regimes or vague references to "the other side", even when it was obvious that the bad guys were meant to be Russian.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Going to watch the Never Say Never Again fan edit Never Say McClory Again this weekend. I’ve been real curious about this fan edit for a while.

This past year would have been perfect for an official version of this idea. To anyone unfamiliar with this edit, it basically adds the Bond theme and gun barrel opening to make it feel more like an official Bond.

edit:
the 2018 edit of Never Say McClory Again is kind of awesome. I'll probably watch this version from now on when I do Bond marathons. It isn't perfect but still is awesome if you're a Bond fan.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 22, 2021

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
There’s a short puff piece free to rent on Apple TV that acts as a retrospective of the Craig era, with him and he producers in conversation. Was a fairly genteel thing but only 40 minutes and nice as a ramp up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/getfandom/status/1438887470951632898?s=21

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I have tix, to see this, the new James Bond movie that looks good.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Get to see this next week on Tuesday! :toot:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/007/status/1441017087737094146

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Turning into quite the sailor, he is. Not only is he now an honourary Commander in the Navy but over the years he's really developed a great Popeye face.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

quote:

Daniel Craig has been made an honorary Commander in the Royal Navy. Commander Craig said: “I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam!"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

Turning into quite the sailor, he is. Not only is he now an honourary Commander in the Navy but over the years he's really developed a great Popeye face.

That's why they need to for once hire a Bond that isn't pushing 40 already. Hire someone who's like 28 and actually give them a shot at doing a decade+ of Bond films where they aren't visibly past their prime.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

That's why they need to for once hire a Bond that isn't pushing 40 already. Hire someone who's like 28 and actually give them a shot at doing a decade+ of Bond films where they aren't visibly past their prime.

It's hard to find actors who are that young and don't look virtually like teenagers by Hollywood standards. Bond was originally written as being about 32-35 at the start of his adventures, which is where Connery and Craig started. The films have just been consistently taking a really long time to do compared to the Moore and Brosnan days, so you end up with an actor who's been Bond for 15 years and only done five films, a lower rate than Roger Moore.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Sitting in the theater about to finally watch this movie!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Going on Sunday. Not sure my wife won’t have exploded with excitement by then. Hope it’s worth it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
That. Was. Awesome.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Residency Evil posted:

That. Was. Awesome.

gently caress yeah. That’s what I like to hear.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No spoilers please but does it feel like an ending? Or a goodbye, is maybe the better term.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I just listened to two of the Hans Zimmer tracks that were released and it's very John Barry-esque which excites me - particularly when he throws in We Have All the Time in the World out of loving nowhere!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lobok posted:

No spoilers please but does it feel like an ending? Or a goodbye, is maybe the better term.

Yes. Definitely gave a fitting send off to Daniel Craig.

Edit: Not sure how much to talk about until more people see it, but at the very end: “James Bond Will Return.”

Not spoilering that because just lol at this franchise ending while it’s printing money.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 28, 2021

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Just to clarify: it's a goodbye to Craig and not Bond in general, correct?

Craig's been a good Bond, somewhere between the professionalism of Connery and the darkness of Dalton. It'll be interesting to see where the franchise goes from here.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Just to clarify: it's a goodbye to Craig and not Bond in general, correct?

Craig's been a good Bond, somewhere between the professionalism of Connery and the darkness of Dalton. It'll be interesting to see where the franchise goes from here.

Yup. "James Bond Will Return" at the end.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Review embargo dropped today

https://twitter.com/peterbradshaw1/status/1442988607799795717?s=10

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Giant spoiler, if anyone feels like discussing:

James Bond dies at the end. It makes sense from a story perspective, and felt like a really fitting end for Daniel Craig, but the more I think about it, the less I'm sure it was the right thing to do. Bond has always made it in the end, and it's been nice to see his character recast/series loosely rebooted each time. I'm curious what the consensus will be.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm so loving ready for the whole soundtrack.

I work (I'm a writer) to chill step and movie/tv soundtracks full time, and good Bond scores are some of the best.

Between that, a new matrix movie, and Dune (though I actually don't love that soundtrack) it's like double Christmas for me.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Every James Bond movie ends with "James Bond Will Return"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sad thing is even the actual last one probably will, too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
There are a lot of snowflakes on Reddit complaining about this Bond being “woke.” :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I guess I’m about a year late for the James Bond score chat, but I wanted to drop these. They’re all old, but near and dear to my heart.

Aside from the iconic main theme, this is what I think of when I think of Bond scores. Hasn’t been used since Moonraker:
https://youtu.be/BKCEiNk198E

Then there is also this bit, which is a repeating theme in the underwater sequences in Thunderball:
https://youtu.be/u1IRXPWdhcw