Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i've been around a lot longer than Tesla and i've never killed anyone or even caused a car crash. and i'm dumb as poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

in terms of rate of accidents or disengagements per miles driven humans are still much better than computers at driving cars

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

cant be any worse then having professionals do it

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Cloks posted:

how many people have you hit with your car

when a speed bump isnt a speed bump.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shear Modulus posted:

in terms of rate of accidents or disengagements per miles driven humans are still much better than computers at driving cars

even if you count all of the cars driving in the background simulation of GTA games?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm willing to believe that the computer is better at normal operation than I am, but I have more faith in my ability to make judgments in edge-case decisions like "is that a black person or just a shadow" or "is that a tunnel or just a cleverly painted facade"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Not sure that's true- americans drive about 3 trillion miles a year and kill 6,000 pedestrians. The uber car killed a pedestrian so computers would have to rack up more than half a billion miles driven to get their body count per mile below that of humans, and I'm not sure they have.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Rutibex posted:

even if you count all of the cars driving in the background simulation of GTA games?
the ones that will randomly veer into you if you're driving nearby as if they're made by Tesla?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb0AgzRIYZM

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

30.5 Days posted:

Not sure that's true- americans drive about 3 trillion miles a year and kill 6,000 pedestrians. The uber car killed a pedestrian so computers would have to rack up more than half a billion miles driven to get their body count per mile below that of humans, and I'm not sure they have.

also computers would need to get a lot better at improvising and filling in missing information and filtering out noise, which is kinda hard if you don't train your AI to apply thousands of heuristic guesses across billions of simulated hypothetical scenarios and/or develop AGI that can modify itself and invent new skills on the fly... neither of which is even remotely feasible

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
the obvious solution to this is mechanical turks embedded in the cars with a life support system duh

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Kitfox88 posted:

the obvious solution to this is mechanical turks embedded in the cars with a life support system duh

If you're gotten to a certain point in creepy anime made in abyss...

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

maybe not so cyberpunk but definitely dystopia

https://twitter.com/DrDanSchumacher/status/1438596084138450952

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

There are several available to Biden or Garland.

They are part of the system that wants this to happen tho

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

silentsnack posted:

also computers would need to get a lot better at improvising and filling in missing information and filtering out noise, which is kinda hard if you don't train your AI to apply thousands of heuristic guesses across billions of simulated hypothetical scenarios and/or develop AGI that can modify itself and invent new skills on the fly... neither of which is even remotely feasible

Or, use loving LIDAR, which is how everything that isn't Tesla decides where things are. But that's not cool and flashy enough for Musk.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Looks like somebody needs an Amazon™ Crying Box.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

"how many collisions have autonomous cars caused" isn't the right metric because they have human safety drivers that are supposed to take over when the AV system makes a mistake that would lead to a collision. The industry safety measure is disengagements, ie when the human driver disengages the autopilot and takes over. Counting collisions instead of disengagements would imply that in the video a few posts ago where the Tesla car decides to abandon its planned route and swerve into some pedestrians and the driver has to quickly grab the wheel, nothing unsafe happened.

While miles driven per disengagement isn't a perfect measure and can be gamed to overstate AV safety by counting a lot of miles driven on controlled test courses rather than public roads, the rate of disengagements is still much much higher than the rate of collisions for human drivers.

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 23:30 on Sep 17, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

"how many collisions have autonomous cars caused" isn't the right metric because they have human safety drivers that are supposed to take over when the AV system makes a mistake that would lead to a collision. The industry safety measure is disengagements, ie when the human driver disengages the autopilot and takes over. Counting collisions instead of disengagements would imply that in the video a few posts ago where the Tesla car decides to abandon its planned route and swerve into some pedestrians and the driver has to quickly grab the wheel, nothing unsafe happened.

While miles driven per disengagement isn't a perfect measure and can be gamed to overstate AV safety by counting a lot of miles driven on controlled test courses rather than public roads, the rate of disengagements is still much much higher than the rate of collisions for human drivers.

I don't know why I thought you said that computers had a better record of driving cars, but I did.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol i also misread your post and thought you were saying that as well. glad we're in agreement.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Looks like somebody needs an Amazon™ Crying Box.

:hmmyes:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Shrecknet posted:

would be interested in seeing a Tesla navigate chaff/a tickertape parade

An airplane crashed because a wasp built a nest in one of the sensors. I wonder what's the Tesla equivalent to that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Probably an Indiana Jones style snake nest in the weird fabric underbelly

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

tokin opposition posted:

If you're gotten to a certain point in creepy anime made in abyss...

im not a mod so I didn’t stick with it very long

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lmao

(archive.org link to bypass paywall)

https://web.archive.org/web/20210918105356/https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/17/opinion/facebook-instagram-teens.html

and also this which was linked to

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-facebook-files-11631713039

the subsection about them knowing how horrible instagram is for teen girls is like, well duh

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 15:18 on Sep 18, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
HATE. HATE.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1215007789547999235?s=20

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lol they programmed their AI to calculate box office earnings based on location and actors alone. like it doesn't even matter if a film is well written or has good music or anything, the success all comes down to which celebrity is in it

i wonder if they are correct......

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rutibex posted:

lol they programmed their AI to calculate box office earnings based on location and actors alone. like it doesn't even matter if a film is well written or has good music or anything, the success all come down to which celebrity is in it

i wonder if they are correct......

Hollywood has always thought this, the point of having an “A list” was to know that they could put anyone from that list in a film and it’d at least break even no matter how bad it was.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Actually teslas AI has caused zero accidents because it hands control back to the driver a moment before the collision making it technically the driver's fault.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Nothus posted:

Actually teslas AI has caused zero accidents because it hands control back to the driver a moment before the collision making it technically the driver's fault.

one weird trick, pedestrians hate this!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

hobbesmaster posted:

Hollywood has always thought this, the point of having an “A list” was to know that they could put anyone from that list in a film and it’d at least break even no matter how bad it was.

I think that might have made sense 40 years ago but I don’t think anyone gives a poo poo whose In the AAA titles now as they are all franchises and the actors are just replaceable cogs

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

The Nastier Nate posted:

I think that might have made sense 40 years ago but I don’t think anyone gives a poo poo whose In the AAA titles now as they are all franchises and the actors are just replaceable cogs

i wonder about that sometimes because im also dubious, but sometimes i think there's maybe something to it. im so entirely disconnected from the big mass of people who are way more invested in celebs and pop culture generally that I feel theres a good chance my instincts are wrong.

at least a few certain people get butts in seats i think. remaining Movie Stars like tom cruise and will smith for example.

maybe??? or not. i dont fuckin know

i'm real doubtful that hollywood execs are really gonna let some beep boop machine steal any of the power they get to wield over the industry tho.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
the star of shang chi posted in asian incel subreddits lol

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Bulgakov posted:

i'm real doubtful that hollywood execs are really gonna let some beep boop machine steal any of the power they get to wield over the industry tho.

Don’t worry, the studio execs will still have enough power to cajole young actresses into bed in exchange for a walk on role on Fast and the Furious 16 or Transformers: fight of the fight

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Bulgakov posted:

They're gonna use it as an additional weapon.

"I'm sorry, Denzel, but according to the best calculations produced by our machine someone of, uh, your nature in a leading role simply won't bring the magnitude of international profit our investors are seeking at this time. Maybe if you showed some flexibility with the level of your renumeration package we could find you a supporting role? The machine says we can not offer any more than _ otherwise we'll have no choice but to hire Chris Pratt."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

there’s definitely still recent stuff propped up by the rock for example.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It's funny, but is it going to get them off their tractors?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

there’s definitely still recent stuff propped up by the rock for example.

Yeah there are definitely still "vehicle" movies (and I don't mean F&F)

Something like Skyscraper was a total nothing of a sales pitch beyond "Dwayne Johnson does lots of action sequences"

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

quote:

The AI system can assess an actor’s value in any territory and how much a film is expected to earn in theaters.
In other words, they're going to use the algo as cover for not casting poc actors in movies targeted to Asia.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

lmao get ready to see white actors in black, brown, and yellow face make a come back

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Agrajag posted:

lmao get ready to see white actors in black, brown, and yellow face make a come back

buddy it never left. didn't you see Ghost In The Shell or Cloud Atlas or uhhh I swear there was a blackface one but the only thing that comes to mind is Tropic Thunder which doesn't count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this is so old it’s pre pandemic