Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

If I had any doubt this last night confirmed it. I was determined that my wife would get some sleep, so I set up on the couch by her crate. She barked and rooed from 9 to 10, so I said "gently caress it it's your last night, be free" and let her out. Cue 30 minutes of manic barking and pacing. I eventually got her to settle on the dog bed and had just fallen asleep when she started barking again. Just laying there this time, but just barking like the world was ending. I lightly swatted her bum and she stopped and looked sheepish and settled again.

30 minutes after that the world really must have ended because she leapt up and did laps around the kitchen while barking her head off. This time I bodily picked her up and put her back in the crate. She looked heartbroken by this turn of events but finally did settle down for the night and didn't make another peep.

Friggin Watson woke me up at 0530 with a single woof. rear end in a top hat.

That sounds awful, I'm curious to find out what's causing it. Poor girl, she's going to struggle to find a home with a problem like that. You guys did your best, and I totally understand why she's not a fit for your home. Sounds like she didn't integrate well with Watson either.

Radiation Cow fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

my vet is looking into which hookworm treatment she thinks is better as she was positive. the group uses panacur+strongid+advantage multi. not sure if any of you guys have dealt with this, but drug resistant hookworms are becoming more common now. regiment for the above is 1x/4 days - 15 day break - 1x/4 days / 15 day break - 1x/4 days

advantage multi does heartworm and flea, a separate tick med was not recommended given I live in an urban condo - she's not going into any sort of rural setting
My group is very familiar with this and has settled on Advantage Multi (aka Advocate) + Drontal Plus every two weeks. You can find their write up here with some vet notes if it helps. It also includes a link to a 90s-rear end looking UK site with good prices (it’s legit, I promise). Katie AFAIK still has hookworm (she was retested after 6 months) so be prepared for a long haul. Nasty little buggers. I should probably get her retested soonish.

It seems like Panacur is equivalent to Drontal Plus. Dogs hate taking those drat pills because they apparently taste horrendous. I completely cover it in peanut butter so she can’t smell it, then wrap that in a piece of cheese. If all goes well she gulps it down without realizing what it was. If she smells it, game over, you have to wait for hours and try to trick her again.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

david_a posted:

My group is very familiar with this and has settled on Advantage Multi (aka Advocate) + Drontal Plus every two weeks. You can find their write up here with some vet notes if it helps. It also includes a link to a 90s-rear end looking UK site with good prices (it’s legit, I promise). Katie AFAIK still has hookworm (she was retested after 6 months) so be prepared for a long haul. Nasty little buggers. I should probably get her retested soonish.

It seems like Panacur is equivalent to Drontal Plus. Dogs hate taking those drat pills because they apparently taste horrendous. I completely cover it in peanut butter so she can’t smell it, then wrap that in a piece of cheese. If all goes well she gulps it down without realizing what it was. If she smells it, game over, you have to wait for hours and try to trick her again.

I think what your describing was the alternative option, which our group calls the "quest protocol." This is what my vet is going to get back to me on. I know she was discussing the topic with some veterinary parasitologists who have treated hookworms in greyhounds, she uses https://www.vin.com/vin/ which I think is a forum just for vets.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Does this count as a roo or just a whine?

https://youtube.com/shorts/KrHY6Ui_aPI?feature=share

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Thaaat's a whine. You should give your dog what it wants. (probably a walk, if they're anything like Apollo)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
When we had to dose Spartacus the Panacur came in a powder. It took several months, and I think what did it was only waiting 7 days between doses plus alternating the other meds

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thaaat's a whine. You should give your dog what it wants. (probably a walk, if they're anything like Apollo)

It’s food, always food

I caved and we started dinner 90 minutes early. I was hungry anyway

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson is having some Big Feelings this afternoon and catching up on some zzzzz

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NomNomNom posted:

Watson is having some Big Feelings this afternoon and catching up on some zzzzz

Does he miss Ingram?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
How was the turnout at everyone’s local Great Global Greyhound Walk? We had 38 greyhounds, 2 lurches, 1 Saluki, and 1 whippet. There were some real puny greys that were barely bigger than the whippet which was amusing. Unfortunately no giant furry sighthounds.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

david_a posted:

Unfortunately no giant furry sighthounds.
That’s a shame. There’s a couple of borzois live near me and they’re the best.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

david_a posted:

How was the turnout at everyone’s local Great Global Greyhound Walk? We had 38 greyhounds, 2 lurches, 1 Saluki, and 1 whippet. There were some real puny greys that were barely bigger than the whippet which was amusing. Unfortunately no giant furry sighthounds.

We had awful weather, but at least 30-ish greyhounds, two deerhounds, a couple of iggies, and a whippet. Gello met her new best boyfriend, a black boy called Jeremy. For some reason, I keep wanting to call him Winston.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

jesus WEP posted:

That’s a shame. There’s a couple of borzois live near me and they’re the best.

I know there are some in town because I saw one at a street festival two years ago. I think the owner said they had multiple. Sadly they probably didn’t get the memo.

My adoption rep said they had looked into getting one when they only had one grey, but they only found like one available in the entire midwest US.

Radiation Cow posted:

We had awful weather, but at least 30-ish greyhounds, two deerhounds, a couple of iggies, and a whippet. Gello met her new best boyfriend, a black boy called Jeremy. For some reason, I keep wanting to call him Winston.

lol there were some dogs there who were VERY interested in making friends. Notable a male lurcher who is absolutely obsessed with male greyhounds.

Katie didn’t growl once which was great, but she’s just not that into other dogs.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Borzois are quite rare, I've literally only seen one once outside of a dog show

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
There were something like 50 I'd guess at ours, I'm sure they'll send out a count later.

TODD won youngest male at 1 year 11 months :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Nom, my groups foster person said she had some info for you re: ingram's barking, but I guess it's moot now. But please let us know what you find out!

I can't wait until Saturday, then no more muzzle when she I can't directly supervise her - I only put it on at night, when I'm gone, or if she starts licking her vaginal area. The ear stuff and rimadyl should be done this weekend or early next week.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
No updates on Ingram's health, we're super curious about the weight loss and if it could have been related to her behavior.

Our jamoke doesn't seem to miss her. He snoozed hard all weekend.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

actionjackson posted:

Borzois are quite rare, I've literally only seen one once outside of a dog show

I haven’t met one yet but…. One day!!

The manager of the RSPCA I volunteer at has a saluki and a wolfhound. I get to see them pretty often.

Once at a for-fun dog show at a park I saw someone with 2 Ibizans, they were Very Handsome

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

quote:

Did you hear about the dog who had puppies on the sidewalk?

She was ticketed for littering!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

lmfao

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Snoooooooot

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
I took Jody to the vet the other day. She made a friend in the lobby

What are the chances??

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I don't know but that hole you just ripped in the space-time continuum isn't gonna fix itself.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

pastor of muppets posted:

How did the little Scottish dog react to seeing the Loch Ness Monster?

She was terrier-fied!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Man I got home and Bailey was out of her crate, I freaked the gently caress out and checked all my nice furniture for damages, thankfully none, then I realized it's because she had her muzzle on (last day of that in fact). Holy poo poo I never locked the crate, if I had done that and she wasn't muzzled she could have caused thousands of dollars worth of damage. I was very lucky!

I got her a crate pad, and also a rubber thing that holds the bully stick, so she can't chew big pieces off.

https://www.westpaw.com/products/qwizl-treat-toy?variant=37784658837702

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Meanwhile, post-Ingram we've been giving Watson freedom while we're at work (my brother in law is home, but sleeps during the day). Most days we get home and Watson is just chilling in his crate anyway.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

Meanwhile, post-Ingram we've been giving Watson freedom while we're at work (my brother in law is home, but sleeps during the day). Most days we get home and Watson is just chilling in his crate anyway.

did you find out anything else about Ingram's health?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
The only modifications we've had to make so far is a kiddie gate down to the litter boxes. Spartacus wouldn't go down the basement stairs but TODD/Teedo is not deterred in the least. We still put the muzzle on if we're both gone for a while though

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

I took Jody to the vet the other day. She made a friend in the lobby

What are the chances??

"I'm seein' double! FOUR Jodies!"

(What good pups though :3: )

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol

btw I just heard that Iowa Greyhound Park is going to be shutting down

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Man they love wetting them paws on a hot day :allears:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bailey's adoption is official!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

Bailey's adoption is official!

:yotj:
Were you technically fostering her before?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

david_a posted:

:yotj:
Were you technically fostering her before?

yes

btw that Iowa Greyhound Park closing is HUGE. Our group is going to be getting most of what will be 150 greys. There will be virtually no racing in the US after this. The only ones left are Southland (TN), and tri state and wheeling (WV)

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 26, 2021

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

btw that Iowa Greyhound Park closing is HUGE. Our group is going to be getting most of what will be 150 greys. There will be virtually no racing in the US after this. The only ones left are Southland (TN), and tri state and wheeling (WV)

Yup. I think my adoption group primarily dealt with a single kennel in Florida. The load this month will be all the farm dogs and brood mamas (scraping the bottom of the barrel, in other words). This will probably be the last haul they ever have. The founders of this group seem really dead-set on working with just that group of people, so after this it will basically just do re-homes, social events, and maybe a stray dog or two from other places.

But that’s just my group, which is relatively small. The local GPA chapter is in a bit of disarray but supposedly the national group will start importing Irish dogs. I’ve also heard that Mexico races greyhounds, so maybe there will be some supply from south of the border.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

david_a posted:

Yup. I think my adoption group primarily dealt with a single kennel in Florida. The load this month will be all the farm dogs and brood mamas (scraping the bottom of the barrel, in other words). This will probably be the last haul they ever have. The founders of this group seem really dead-set on working with just that group of people, so after this it will basically just do re-homes, social events, and maybe a stray dog or two from other places.

But that’s just my group, which is relatively small. The local GPA chapter is in a bit of disarray but supposedly the national group will start importing Irish dogs. I’ve also heard that Mexico races greyhounds, so maybe there will be some supply from south of the border.

yes there is one track in Mexico

the ones at the bottom of the list with a State value are in the US and Mexico. I forgot to mention the one track in TX which is still open.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I suppose I should add this :p

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
lil white toes :3: