Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

I like how you can keep going up by orders but every time you find one that works, it loses a fundamental property of numbers, like quaternions are noncommutative and x·y isn't necessarily y·x, and octonions are also nonassociative so (x + y) + z isn't always x + (y + z) and eventually you just end up as things that don't work as numbers. And it's absolute madness that some of this has actual real world uses but :thatsengineering:

Quaternions are great for computer games and anything that uses spatial movements like robot arms or such.
As its less calculations, and you dont need to have multiple layers of reference xyz axis' and the nightmare trying to figure out what 1 degree movement is what on each of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Unkempt posted:

My favourite number is 142857. It's loving amazing and I have no idea how it does what it does.

It's the first six digits of 1/7.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

*Xeno nodding sagely* So you can never turn the oven off, got it.

Absolute zero is somewhere between gas mark 1/67108864 and gas mark 1/134217728.

Yeah like Kyle knows anything.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Ok time to continue the thread tradition of every now and then someone coming in and asking about broadband recommendations, are there any companies that are particularly good or poo poo these days. currently looking at fibre from one of bt, talktalk, plusnet and sky but it's been a while since i actually had to make decisions about internet

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

London-based MEATYGOONS.

Any interest in coming over to my place in Barking in a few weeks (date yet undecided but probably a Saturday) for mass curry? In my spacious backyard weather permitting, if not, inside. If I get too much interest I'll have to winnow things down a bit because even though bae and I are doublestabbed I'm not looking to host a superspreader event or anything, but I figure the half dozen or so people I've had turn up for D&D before COVID stomped over everything (thinking of restarting some sort of game, btw, maybe Dark Heresy or something rather than literal D&D) should be a small enough risk. I suspect there's going to be an overlap between those two social groups in any case :shobon:

There will be a not-too-spicy chicken korma or similar and a rather more spicy vegan something.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

You have: 100 degC
You want: gasmark
Value '100 degC' is not in the function's range

Oh wow the function to convert to gas mark takes temperature in RANKINE. :psyduck:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

You have: 100 degC
You want: gasmark
Value '100 degC' is not in the function's range

Oh wow the function to convert to gas mark takes temperature in RANKINE. :psyduck:

The computer has intuited something important about the universe, you're watching the lovely singularity happen. From now on, water freezes at -8.64 gas marks. You're lucky I'm not a King.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
To do imperial units, don't you need an actual empire?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Quaternions are great for computer games and anything that uses spatial movements like robot arms or such.
As its less calculations, and you dont need to have multiple layers of reference xyz axis' and the nightmare trying to figure out what 1 degree movement is what on each of them.

The bridge where Hamilton had the eureka moment about quaternions and then carved the equation on the bridge is right by my house, there's a lil plaque there that I see when I take my dog for a walk. The concept is actually fairly intuitive, but then you read through the wiki and apparently quaternions are now considered a little cumbersome and unnecessary? Idk

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

To do imperial units, don't you need an actual empire?

Why do you think we went to war to keep hold of the Falklands?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Absolute zero is somewhere between gas mark 1/67108864 and gas mark 1/134217728.

Yeah like Kyle knows anything.

Gas Mark Zero has been theorized by our nation's foremost oven experts. It's a temperature below so-called "Absolute Zero" at which matter moves so slowly it starts going backwards in both space and time.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sebzilla posted:

Gas Mark Zero has been theorized by our nation's foremost oven experts. It's a temperature below so-called "Absolute Zero" at which matter moves so slowly it starts going backwards in both space and time.

Whatever Dark Energy is, it's not stable, it's accelerating the expansion of the universe, and some physicists theorise that it may reverse one day, leading to a Big Crunch.

That would be Gas Mark Zero.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

More importantly, is there really any difference between gas mark 1/67108864 and 1/671088639R

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

More importantly, is there really any difference between gas mark 1/67108864 and 1/671088639R

Are you calculating it while sitting on a plane taking off on a treadmill that's running in the opposite direction?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

feedmegin posted:

There will be a not-too-spicy chicken korma or similar and a rather more spicy vegan something.

I've eaten feedme's cookings before and can vouch that I didn't die, 5/5 would not-die-horribly again

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

The bridge where Hamilton had the eureka moment about quaternions and then carved the equation on the bridge is right by my house, there's a lil plaque there that I see when I take my dog for a walk. The concept is actually fairly intuitive, but then you read through the wiki and apparently quaternions are now considered a little cumbersome and unnecessary? Idk
Typical Irishman, vandalizing private property with revolutionary mathematical expressions instead of having a tantrum in the Royal Society over whether 2 - 5 exists like a proper intellectual.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No, that would be ridiculous.

There is in fact a far, far more sensible situation where each successive drop of 25 degrees (fahrenheit) below 275 (gas mark 1) halves the gas mark, so 250 degrees is gas mark 1/2, 225 is 1/4, and so on. Therefore 212 degrees (100C) is more or less halfway between gas mark 1/8 (200) and gas mark 1/4 (225), so it would be gas mark 3/16. Duh.

ah yes, and we all know that famous line: "Gas Mark 3/16 says 'I just cooked your rear end'"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The guardian have finally got themselves a non-insane columnist.

https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1439159220197335041?s=19

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

His Divine Shadow posted:

So this is why americans always bitch about eco modes and the like, while water and energy saving dishwashers have always performed really well in my experience. They just get lovely products to chose from.

Yes I genuinely think there's something to this. I used to run my Neff dishwasher in the UK on the eco mode and it was fine. Bear in mind I used to work (and probably will again) as a product designer, there's a lot of loving terrible product design out there.

I bought a measuring jug here and ended up throwing it in the loving bin because it was so ludicrously bad at pouring anything cleanly. Some designer and/or product tester out there designed/made this thing, tried pouring water from it, it went absolutely everywhere, and they shrugged and said "ah gently caress it, people will only discover that once they get it home".

Don't by anything made by "Fire King". Apparently this is like Pyrex, in that it *used* to be made of borosilicate glass (very tough, also resistant to shocks of going from high-temp to low and vice versa) and is now just made of regular soda glass, because it's cheaper (but worse for its application), and ALSO the design is terrible.

Fireking useless.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The guardian have finally got themselves a non-insane columnist.

https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1439159220197335041?s=19

Well, they need to replace this crushing loss:

https://twitter.com/aarjanistan/status/1439150379703410692

For reference, behold Corbyn “raging”:

https://twitter.com/bareleft/status/1439163889267134464

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I wish reading Freedland left me that sedate tbh

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

She really can't see that the reason people are mad about these issues is because they're affected by them.

It's not so easy to have a calm, polite discussion about politics when one side is at material risk of loss, and the other side is asking them to lie down and take it because their resistance is mildly inconveniencing them.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

"I've decided to leave my career of aggro opinion writing because too many people were aggro tweeting to me in response" is an incredible way to tell on yourself.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 18, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Has-beenley Freeman

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hadgig Freelance

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm honestly surprised that was the direction she went with her final column. Thought she'd go for a transphobic screed like so often.

Ah well, excited to see her turn up in The Spectator or Telegraph screaming about having been cancelled, just like Suzanne Moore.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"I used to love giving people my opinion, until I found out other people could give me their opinion, and then it became unbearable. I see no problem with this."

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Thank goodness for brexit.
It was so worth it to get near-black passports and crown marks on pint glasses:
Heil pulling no punches:

source: heil/news/article-10003883/UK-faces-crippled-perfect-storm-Covid-Brexit-soaring-gas-prices.html

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
It's funny because the one thing about the press's treatment of Corbyn is how notably they politely disagreed with his policy stance and didn't treat him like a bad person :v:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
greenwich council is waging a war against antisocial behaviour, such as caffeine abuse

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1439269610436562947?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Welcome 2 my december-september ten month firework throwing extravaganza I guess.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's always a great look when my first thought was "those remind me of the nazi stickers" (cw: nazi stickers)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The "or are likely to commit" bit is especially :chefkiss:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

greenwich council is waging a war against antisocial behaviour, such as caffeine abuse

This is (unsurprisingly) yet another tool of gentrification. PSPOs (and come on you can't expect them *not* to call them pisspots or pisspoors) have been used this exact way around Brick Lane and Spitalfields as a weapon to force the local rough sleeper population (quite large because of the big Sally Army hostel, a couple of other facilities and the homeless medical centre) completely off the streets even if they're *not* doing anything on the forbidden list, because the Tower Hamlets Enforcement Officers (what happens when you give a traffic warden the power to harass people) hassle them constantly.

I'm assuming that this is aimed squarely at the residents of the little council estate just next to the river - ridiculously prime real estate of course, but the inhabitants look far too poor to be allowed to enjoy this bit of the river, sandwiched between the Cutty Sark and the brand new shitboxes next to Deptford Creek, and I'm assuming it's just an excuse for anyone wearing tracksuit bottoms or dark skin to be driven away when the shiny-suiters are cycling from the foot tunnel to their million-quid bedsits.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It's all academic when you realise you cook everything at gas mark 6 for 25 minutes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Your mask's slipping Priti.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

XMNN posted:

bottom inspectors are becoming a reality

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tbf I'm always nervy using a cash point if someone's hanging around by it.

Weird that fireworks are specifically disallowed during peak firework display season. :iiam:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bloody good eyesight to spot a PIN number from 10 meters away though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Dominic Raab said ‘I don’t support the Human Rights Act’ ahead of being put in charge of overhaul

quote:

Back in 2009, he said: “I don’t support the Human Rights Act and I don’t believe in economic and social rights,” the clip unearthed by Labour shows.

And, in a book authored by Mr Raab in the same year, entitled ‘The Assault on Liberty: What Went Wrong’, he argued the 1998 legislation had led to a slew of new claims in the courts.

“The spread of rights has become contagious and, since the Human Rights Act, opened the door to vast new categories of claims, which can be judicially enforced against the government through the courts.

The Act had allowed UK law to be trumped by the European courts, Mr Raab claimed, while the boundaries between parliament, government and the judiciary had been blurred.

We are really heading down a very dark timeline, aren't we?...

Maybe Raab doesn't have compromising material on Boris, he just happens to be fascist enough to do what Boris thinks is needed?