Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I mean it's a BAF, worst case scenario is you decide you don't want to keep it and end up selling it for probably double or triple what you ended up paying for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Doing a toy show in the UK for the first time since Feb 2020. I think they’re staggering entry because it’s not full like it usually is, despite a massive queue outside. It’s still overwhelming in a way I’m not 100% ok with. Not nearly enough mask wearing. :argh:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

If you found / paid retail for the Cobra Viper I'd say that's a good deal. Worst case scenario is you sell Kingpin for more than the 60ish dollars you paid for him.

Edit:^^^ I know how you feel. The wife and I were going to go to a giant antique fair, that's put on twice a year today, but neither of us are quite comfortable enough even though it's outdoors. She's high risk due to a heat condition so this would be the first time we mixed with gen-pop other than the grocery.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 18, 2021

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Xenomrph posted:

Digging through some old action figures and I really wish Hasbro had given us a new Marvel Legends MCU Iron Man MK 1 instead of re-releasing the old one from 2008, he doesn’t scale great nowadays (especially compared to the new MK 3 that just came out).

I don’t have any movie figs but I’d really like it if someone would do a new premium 1/12 take on the Mk III because it’s still my favourite of all the red/golds to date and I’d snap it right up.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I found some old haul photos.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
We know the cake actually says Joe Fisto, no need to censor it

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Louisgod posted:

We know the cake actually says Joe Fisto, no need to censor it

Don’t doxx me damnit

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Joe Fisto posted:

I found some old haul photos.

I vaguely remember that big walker-like thing. What was it?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I vaguely remember that big walker-like thing. What was it?

The Go-Bots Command Center. It even had a cafeteria!

https://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/1985/gobots_command_center

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And it was rad as hell.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Why is there a fetish field on this page

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Man I totally forgot about that thing. I had that

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

The Diddler posted:

Why is there a fetish field on this page

Seems like their weird in-house term for "trope".

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The Go Bot command ship was awesome.

I swear every kid had one at the time.

One thing people forget about the Go Bots is that they had real brains in robot bodies.

Added thought:

Go Bots in their design remind me much more of the Bay style than Transformers themselves regularly do.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 18, 2021

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

"Greetings program!"

Never gotten a Diamond figure before so was a wee bit thrown by how tall these dudes are. Not taken Flynn and Sark out yet but Flynn especially is gorgeous, the blue just pops.

Really though, it's all about Tron for me. It's been by far the roughest year I've ever known but picking up this silly purple fellow takes me back to a much happier time, for a little while at least.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Got an email saying the Darksaber is pushed back to December.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Last Call posted:

The Go Bot command ship was awesome.

I swear every kid had one at the time.

One thing people forget about the Go Bots is that they had real brains in robot bodies.

Added thought:

Go Bots in their design remind me much more of the Bay style than Transformers themselves regularly do.

Controversial opinion time; one can make a very strong argument that between Go-Bots and the G1 Transformers line the former overall holds up better and is more consistent in overall quality too, admittedly a lot of this comes down to the fact that G1 lasted a lot longer than Go-Bots, so where Go-Bots managed to maintain having most of it's toys being molds taken from Machine Robo, G1 lasted long enough to exhaust most of the usable Diaclone and Micro-Change molds(and whatever other figures Hasbro had managed to scoop up the US rights to as well) and once they started having to create wholly new designs for the lines is when things got really inconsistent(especially how pretty much every mold created by Hasbro designers prior to them buying out Kenner and putting them in charge of the Boys Lines ended up being ugly robots with bland and lazy transformations)

It definitely also helps that due to Machine Robo molds being the majority of the line the average Go-Bots figure is on the smaller side of things, and where a near total lack of articulation on one of the larger G1 Transformers can feel incredibly disappointing(especially if they don't have a good transformation or some other fun gimmick), it's a lot easier to forgive on a tiny figure(a lot of the G1 figures that hold up the best are on the smaller side of things)

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Anyone who appreciates Go-Bots would do well to check out Tom Scioli’s IDW miniseries. The Command Center (cafeteria included) gets a lot of play and it’s just as bugnuts crazy as his Transformers vs G.I. Joe is.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

As a kid who grew up during that time, one reason I preferred Transformers over Gobots is that a lot, if not most, of the Gobots were saddled with really dumb names that didn't appeal to me. TF had names like "Starscream", "Skywarp", "Cliffjumper", "Shockwave", and "Optimus Prime", Gobots had characters with names like "Dumper", "Block Head", "Dive Dive", "Spay-C", and "Buggy Man".

Kind of had the same problem with Masters of the Universe. The first time waves seem like a lot of effort went into creating the identities for the figures, but after it became a runaway success, they seemed to just put less effort into. Like the bee character. Instead of something like "Stinger", they name it "Buzz-Off"? A two headed villain called "Two Bad"?

As a kid, all that did was turn me away from the line.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

When I was a kid I was way more into Go-Bots than Transformers. It could have had a lot to do with the Transformers show being a little deeper and hence a little over my head at age 6, but I watched both and I liked Go-Bots better. I didn't own the command center but I have vivid memories of playing with it; I'm sure a friend had one.

In other news, I've been watching the new He-Man cartoon and it's pretty solid, a really unique take on the material overall. It preserves more ideas from the lore than I expected, but also rearranges them more significantly than I would have guessed; they really tore the whole thing down and created a new universe from the wreckage, even more so than the She-Ra cartoon did. and I can respect that. The character designs are cool but strike me as difficult to translate to toy form; lots of weird physically impossible visual elements. It's made by Mattel's own production studio so that seems like an odd choice.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Man I totally forgot about that thing. I had that

Yeah with all the Transformers stuff it's easy to forget GoBots but I definitely had that thing too. I think I still have a GoBots coloring book on a shelf somewhere.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
One cool thing about Go-Bots was that they had more diverse alt-modes: not just sports cars and identical jets, but there was a stretch limo (and his robot mode had a top hat!), a scooter, World War II aircraft, a submarine, a forklift, and more.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Splint Chesthair posted:

Anyone who appreciates Go-Bots would do well to check out Tom Scioli’s IDW miniseries. The Command Center (cafeteria included) gets a lot of play and it’s just as bugnuts crazy as his Transformers vs G.I. Joe is.

Agreed

Davros1 posted:

As a kid who grew up during that time, one reason I preferred Transformers over Gobots is that a lot, if not most, of the Gobots were saddled with really dumb names that didn't appeal to me. TF had names like "Starscream", "Skywarp", "Cliffjumper", "Shockwave", and "Optimus Prime", Gobots had characters with names like "Dumper", "Block Head", "Dive Dive", "Spay-C", and "Buggy Man".

Kind of had the same problem with Masters of the Universe. The first time waves seem like a lot of effort went into creating the identities for the figures, but after it became a runaway success, they seemed to just put less effort into. Like the bee character. Instead of something like "Stinger", they name it "Buzz-Off"? A two headed villain called "Two Bad"?

As a kid, all that did was turn me away from the line.

Does make one wonder if Go-Bots would have had more long term success if they had imported the Machine Robo: Revenge of Chronos anime instead of having Hanna-Barbera make a cartoon that was cheesy even by 80's toy cartoon standards

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

One cool thing about Go-Bots was that they had more diverse alt-modes: not just sports cars and identical jets, but there was a stretch limo (and his robot mode had a top hat!), a scooter, World War II aircraft, a submarine, a forklift, and more.

Not to mention the silliness that was the Rock Lords

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
Picked up Tech and Aurra Sing

Tech is awesome, most of his tools come out of the belt and such. For me he's the second best bad batch toy after Wrecker.

Now just waiting for Echo and Omega to be announced, hopefully hasbro doesn't drag this out for 5 years like they did finishing the Rebels crew.

Regarding Gobots, I loved them as a kid almost as much as Transformers, I had way more of them than TF's simply because they were more affordable, especially after a year or so and they started going on clearance. I forgot how cool that headquarters was until I saw Joe Fisto's picture. I had one of the combiners too as they were cheaper than the Devastator giftset I wanted.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Thirded. And I want to emphasize how awesome Scioli's Transformers Vs Joe is too in case anyone here's not read it but interested, it's really incredible.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This was a big draw for me with Gobots too, I liked that dudes like Turbo were futuristic race cars and not just datsun's or whatever.

drrockso20 posted:

Does make one wonder if Go-Bots would have had more long term success if they had imported the Machine Robo: Revenge of Chronos anime instead of having Hanna-Barbera make a cartoon that was cheesy even by 80's toy cartoon standards

I think this was the real setback for them. Where I lived gobots had a head start in the market for quite a bit before transformers came out and were super popular, but as soon as those TF commercials with the music and vocoders and animation hit the airwaves gobots weren't really talked about by the kids around my anymore. I probably watched every episode of the Gobots cartoon and the theatrical film and remember nothing about them other than the designs being kind of round faced and cute. Whereas I remember everything about those wonderfully raggedy sunbow TF cartoons. Transformers had an iconic theme song, and they had an apocalyptic comic book where everyone was mutilated and starving to death by the fourth issue until shockwave put everyone out of their misery. Gobots had to wait three decades for high quality fiction. So really I think that's the key, as the toys themselves were really cool.

Sooper Gila fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 19, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Unboxing video of the new 40cm tall Dynaction Shin Ultraman. Really nice piece; simple in easy I expected but it really looks well built. But gat drat check out that beefy as hell stabilizer arm on the stand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imHjJEWHx28

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm watching the very silly CGI He-man show. It's VERY silly but the villain designs are pretty great.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I'm watching the very silly CGI He-man show. It's VERY silly but the villain designs are pretty great.

I don’t hate it so far. It’s fun and very silly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes, extremely silly. ORK-0 is definitely my favorite bit. This version of HeMan is getting a Masterverse figure, I hope they do a whole wave of the baddies in that scale.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Rhyno posted:

Yes, extremely silly. ORK-0 is definitely my favorite bit. This version of HeMan is getting a Masterverse figure, I hope they do a whole wave of the baddies in that scale.

I'm gonna binge that show on my days off.

Who'd have thought that in tyool 2021 I'd have the opportunity to relive childhood nostalgia over Saturday morning cartoons.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Rhyno posted:

My son and I are halfway through and we both quite Iike it. The only thing I thought was weird was the Ram Man uses her helmet as a toilet joke.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Long shot, but does anyone here have the GI Joe mass device from when they did the you a while back? I'm looking for pics of the jars and the bases of the jars. Found some cool crystals and figured I'd make a small replica.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Honestly more impressed with the writing for the kids' he-man cartoon than I was for revelations. The villains in particular are great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Got my Masterverse Faker order in!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Got my Masterverse Faker order in!

What did I miss?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a Target exclusive that's been popping into stock every day at like 3 am, like one at a time. And then again randomly for the next t 5 hours. I managed to catch one after 2 weeks of trying.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Classic Doctor Strange revealed, finally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raVQyqXpXKI

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And Dr Manhattan head?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

And Dr Manhattan head?

He wore a mask for a bit.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Neat. Dr. Strange is probably the only Marvel thing I actually like. Might pick that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

nvm

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 20, 2021