Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Sirotan posted:

Yes, you should probably get it tested. From what I've read It's not super common in plaster but is known to have been used in some plaster joint compound as well as like, plaster used to make ceiling medallions and such. I still need to drop off a sample of my wall because I only learned this fact after doing quite a bit of wall repair. :rip:

H110Hawk posted:

I would presume that is asbestos. If you're doing like 4 holes then just make sure you are wearing long clothes and an n95. If you have a hepa vacuum use that while cutting. Spray down dust with water and wipe it up. Wash clothes immediately when done. (Strip into the washer if that's available.)

Kinda like lead, as an adult a little bit isn't going to hurt you materially, but the effects are additive. If you have children they should go play outside until you have cleaned up the dust.

If your vacuum isn't hepa, do NOT use it.
Thanks for the comments. We deal with tons of mystery insulation at work and the standing policy is to assume it's ACM until proven otherwise. I'll probably go ahead and get it tested if only for peace of mind and to know I can do whatever I want to the walls in the future without having to worry about it and take extra precautions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not much of an option where we are, unfortunately. We'd be talking an hour-ish drive to find someplace that isn't home depot, best buy, costco, etc.

I know it’s an absolute anathema to our generation, but you could call one on the telephone.

Another option is maybe asking some baking specific groups online for recommendations?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not much of an option where we are, unfortunately. We'd be talking an hour-ish drive to find someplace that isn't home depot, best buy, costco, etc.

You should take the drive. Samsung and LG are total poo poo. Also what is your budget? I went through all the stages of grief when doing our kitchen remodel and ended up with a higher end range that cost $3500 and it doesn’t even go up to 525.

Also should check out https://www.appliancesconnection.com/?ref=rap&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw6vWvY2J8wIV_wytBh2jfQJ0EAAYASAAEgIHmfD_BwE

They have almost every brand, decent pricing, and a great set of filters so you can really narrow stuff down. This is also a situation where a consumer reports subscription is worth getting.

Finally, find out where you might find a scratch and dent warehouse.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

therobit posted:

You should take the drive. Samsung and LG are total poo poo. Also what is your budget? I went through all the stages of grief when doing our kitchen remodel and ended up with a higher end range that cost $3500 and it doesn’t even go up to 525.

Budget's in the $750-1000 ballpark. $3500 is out of the question.

And yeah, that's half of my issue. I don't want to get the fucker home and find out it doesn't go over 500. I have no idea why they make finding out the max temp so hard.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The bottom cabinet has started rubbing against the top one for maybe an inch in the top right corner, any ideas?

The bottom drawer is pretty solidly in there (no wiggle or flex) so not sure why this started, maybe heat from the oven? Am I going to have to try and reseat the whole thing?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Budget's in the $750-1000 ballpark. $3500 is out of the question.

And yeah, that's half of my issue. I don't want to get the fucker home and find out it doesn't go over 500. I have no idea why they make finding out the max temp so hard.

Go to manufacturer websites and try to find the part number matrix. It's like build a bear but for appliances.

Either way, call the store an hour away and tell them your budget + bread making temperature desires ("I want one that goes to 11 550f" not "what's the max temp") and see what they say. They should be able to send you a picture if they stock it, but otherwise can take a credit card over the phone. Know the rough in dimensions you require (36" or whatever it is for ovens) and they should be able to figure it out.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I suppose the other question is does your current oven actually go to 550 or does I just think I goes to 550?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

gwrtheyrn posted:

I suppose the other question is does your current oven actually go to 550 or does I just think I goes to 550?

It gets there, or at least close enough that I'm not going to wring my hands. The last time I screwed around with thermometers to figure out how it behaved I noticed that it would get up to the higher temps, but that you had to give it a couple minutes after it said it was that temp before it was really there. So set for 525 and give it five after it dings.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Democratic Pirate posted:

Quick project to install a screw-in baby gate turned into a new circular saw, chisel set, and shop vac due to inconvenient stud and hand rail placement.

Always budget $700 for tools on a $99 job.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spf3million posted:

Thanks for the comments. We deal with tons of mystery insulation at work and the standing policy is to assume it's ACM until proven otherwise. I'll probably go ahead and get it tested if only for peace of mind and to know I can do whatever I want to the walls in the future without having to worry about it and take extra precautions.

Sounds like you know what to do. I wouldn't stop this job over it but pulling a sample or four from the various holes is helpful. Remember, once you know it goes on your sales disclosures. As you well know we used to basically blend asbestos into EVERYTHING.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

H110Hawk posted:

Sounds like you know what to do. I wouldn't stop this job over it but pulling a sample or four from the various holes is helpful. Remember, once you know it goes on your sales disclosures. As you well know we used to basically blend asbestos into EVERYTHING.
Hmm, good point which I hadn't considered. I want to put in maybe ~5 outlets, a couple ethernet receptacles and surrounded sound.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just gonna stop in to say riding mowers are great to use and awful to own.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spf3million posted:

Hmm, good point which I hadn't considered. I want to put in maybe ~5 outlets, a couple ethernet receptacles and surrounded sound.

Since you know how to handle it from work, do all of that. Be careful with the overhead holes (if any) as the attic could obviously have several inches of vermiculite in it, the plaster itself, plus any popcorn on the ceiling. Remember they sell hepa shop vac kits. They work great, and you can just hold the running vac up to whatever you're cutting and not have to think about cleanup at all. Wear ear protection in addition to the usual stuff. :v:

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Kinda like lead, as an adult a little bit isn't going to hurt you materially, but the effects are additive. If you have children they should go play outside until you have cleaned up the dust.

This isn’t true for asbestos. There is no minimum safe exposure, and official guidelines are to avoid even a single fiber getting into your lungs. Exposure as a kid is worse, but exposure as an adult is bad too (the difference between mesothelioma in your 40s vs your 70s).

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Source4Leko posted:

Hello, fellow mower-owner, I concur. The last time that I mowed the lawn, just before finishing my mower's Honda engine made a terrible, "parts touching when they should not touch" crashing sound and lost power. A quick test shows that one cylinder is registering 0 psi on crank. I am praying it's the valves (repair kit around $115) vs. rings, which realistically is more work than I'll want to put into the engine and means a repower kit to the tune of a grand.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Borrowing an airless sprayer was the way to go for the fence, drat. I got over half of it done today before I ran out of stain and should hopefully be able to finish it up tomorrow.

Then I’ll re-stain the playground in the same color and be done with this stupid project.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Source4Leko posted:

My only experience with a ride-on mower was the near-20-year-old Deere left by the PO. Even after a fresh belt reduced the blade spinup time from "maybe in a minute" to "now", it would still clog the chute to the bagger in a single pass of my yard. The Ego I replaced it with takes twice as many passes but I just have to empty the bag instead of reaching shoulder deep down a tube to grab a gigantic clod of semi-pulverized grass. Still takes way less time to actually mow, and the only thing I have to do is charge the battery every other time I mow.

Tractor life, however?

Get in loser, we're going grading.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Source4Leko posted:

Are you good with a wrench? If you're not, I can understand your pain. Taking one into a shop every time it needs some service (relatively frequently) would get very expensive.

If you are, parts are very cheap, and basic, routine maintenance goes a long way. Keep spare parts on hand (belts, filters, spark plugs) and have duplicate parts like blades so you can swap and sharpen them later instead of doing it all as one big job.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
No I wrench on absolutely anything just fine I've just never had to actually deal with engines at all other than super routine matinence before. Carburetor fouled up, checked it first and I thought it was actually fine and I spent a week chasing every other small problem with it the entire engine that could exist short of taking the block apart. Carb is now at a friend's in an ultrasonic cleaner and will be back and back together tomorrow morning. Just was hoping to put off heavy mower maintenance until the end of the season when I bring the snowblowers out since I was gonna be making a mess in the garage anyway. I have a day set aside in a month for all this poo poo but nope happens now :mad:

This is my 3rd riding mower and I finally have one I like and until I can upgrade to something a little more tractor like I'm going to keep it running no matter what. Last summer took breaking out the welder to keep it going so this is at least a new fun problem. Fortunately we don't have a HOA or anything to deal with so the grass has just been long and nobody cares I'm just mad its dragged out so long.

Source4Leko fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 19, 2021

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

H110Hawk posted:

Since you know how to handle it from work, do all of that.
Ah no, what I meant was we assume it is ACM and don't touch it until the professionals come and make it go away. I have a hard time believing that extended exposure isn't worse than very infrequent exposure but I still would rather not risk it.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
You're kinda stuck. If you test it then you have to disclose it when you sell, but what changes for this current job? You're not going to have an abatement company come in to cut a couple holes for you, and you probably don't want to rip all of the plaster out of your house in one go.

Treat it like it's asbestos, use a hepa vac, keep it damp, and move on.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

"Don't do X because then you'll have to disclose it" is also kind of silly advice. Is this actually going to impact a future sale? I suppose in extreme buyers markets or with buyers who have unrealistic expectations of the materials used in houses built before the 80's there's a chance, though it seems extremely unlikely. Better to know what you may be exposing yourself to, then you can make a fully informed decision on whether you want to DIY something or not.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Source4Leko posted:

No I wrench on absolutely anything just fine I've just never had to actually deal with engines at all other than super routine matinence before. Carburetor fouled up, checked it first and I thought it was actually fine and I spent a week chasing every other small problem with it the entire engine that could exist short of taking the block apart. Carb is now at a friend's in an ultrasonic cleaner and will be back and back together tomorrow morning. Just was hoping to put off heavy mower maintenance until the end of the season when I bring the snowblowers out since I was gonna be making a mess in the garage anyway. I have a day set aside in a month for all this poo poo but nope happens now :mad:

This is my 3rd riding mower and I finally have one I like and until I can upgrade to something a little more tractor like I'm going to keep it running no matter what. Last summer took breaking out the welder to keep it going so this is at least a new fun problem. Fortunately we don't have a HOA or anything to deal with so the grass has just been long and nobody cares I'm just mad its dragged out so long.

I spent a few hours diagnosing a problem on my zero turn, it ended up being a badly fouled carb. Looked into a rebuild kit, cost maybe $20 plus a few days shipping. A whole new carb could be at my door sooner for just $40. Saved me having to clean, rebuild, etc and the new carb popped right in and it's been chugging along just fine ever since.

As much as I hate to buy a whole new unit like that, it was much cheaper (counting wrench time) to treat it as disposable

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Sirotan posted:

"Don't do X because then you'll have to disclose it" is also kind of silly advice. Is this actually going to impact a future sale? I suppose in extreme buyers markets or with buyers who have unrealistic expectations of the materials used in houses built before the 80's there's a chance, though it seems extremely unlikely. Better to know what you may be exposing yourself to, then you can make a fully informed decision on whether you want to DIY something or not.

Yeah, it should already be assumed by anyone buying an older house that there is probably lead paint and asbestos present somewhere.

I’ve only ever requested asbestos removal during a sale when it was actively deteriorating pipe wrap insulation, and in the end that only cost the seller like $1500 to get taken care of.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CloFan posted:

I spent a few hours diagnosing a problem on my zero turn, it ended up being a badly fouled carb. Looked into a rebuild kit, cost maybe $20 plus a few days shipping. A whole new carb could be at my door sooner for just $40. Saved me having to clean, rebuild, etc and the new carb popped right in and it's been chugging along just fine ever since.

As much as I hate to buy a whole new unit like that, it was much cheaper (counting wrench time) to treat it as disposable

You're not wrong thats the much easier and ultimately better option and I almost just bought a new one, but I am emotionally invested in it at this point and I will make the same carb work, I'm past the point of making good decisions on it and I'm ok with that. I'm also teaching myself a lot about small engines thanks to YouTube while I wrench on stuff which is fun and cool. I'd rather end up taking longer and spending a little more and coming out with new skills than just popping in a new unit.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spf3million posted:

Ah no, what I meant was we assume it is ACM and don't touch it until the professionals come and make it go away. I have a hard time believing that extended exposure isn't worse than very infrequent exposure but I still would rather not risk it.

It's entirely a lifetime volume game. One very bad day or weeks of halfass ppe can cause you the same amount of damage. This is why filtration (n95+ masks, hepa vacs, hepa air filters), and containment (minimal bashing, wetting + mopping not sweeping, not actually bashing holes, washing your clothes and body, etc) is key. Because as the other poster pointed out there is no minimum safe exposure level.

Silica found in drywall and other things is the same but requires much higher volumes to cause silicosis.

If you are at all nervous about it, especially overhead cuts, you need to pony up for professional removal. If you are ever doing more than the 1-2 square feet of clean cuts you should absolutely pay for a professional. If you're doing it in your kids rooms test first.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We used to have an asbestos heater in the house. Just a big flat rectangle of asbestos that you could plug in. Idk how it worked but if I get lung weirdness I'll be sure to blame that.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

redreader posted:

We used to have an asbestos heater in the house. Just a big flat rectangle of asbestos that you could plug in. Idk how it worked but if I get lung weirdness I'll be sure to blame that.

Are you sure it wasn't Mica? Asbestos' properties make it the least ideal thing ever for a heater.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
If this is mica then yes it was mica. It looked similar to this, not the same brand.

https://twitter.com/juztick/status/866217474081120257

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I doubt the asbestos is the actual "heater" but there are traditional heating elements and you have a relatively high specific heat material around it to smooth out the heating curve between the time the elements are on.

It looks like asbestos and mica have very similar values, (816 and 880 respectively) so they could both work for that, provided the asbestos is compressed rather than low density, like it is when its acting like an insulator.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Color me surprised and horrified. I was thinking thick asbestos like used in insulation. Looks like a thin asbestos sheet is what is used in the heaters, much like the thin mica wafers I was thinking of. Makes sense I guess.

What can't Asbestos do?! :grovertoot:

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

devmd01 posted:

Borrowing an airless sprayer was the way to go for the fence, drat. I got over half of it done today before I ran out of stain and should hopefully be able to finish it up tomorrow.

Then I’ll re-stain the playground in the same color and be done with this stupid project.

Wow your yard is amazing! Where I live lots are so small that would be a city park.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Does anyone have advice on shopping for ovens? Ours is pretty obviously on its way out and it's a piece of poo poo anyways. If I'm reading the serial right it's also a 14 year old piece of poo poo, so we're not going to bother trying to fix it.

We're seriously looking at replacing our oven with a cook top and then just.... Continuing to use our toaster oven for everything else. The top rated toaster oven on Amazon is like $169 and it's an Oyster brand I guess. It's big enough to cook a full size frozen pizza and will do 500° and preheats to ~450 in about three minutes. Total time from "I want pizza" to "eating fresh pizza" is about 16 minutes on the toaster oven, closer to 35 minutes on the traditional oven, mostly due to preheat time being near instant

When we moved out of an apartment and into our house wife "upgraded" the toaster oven to a "french" breville model that cost twice as much and had 75% of the features and it's too hot to touch. The only thing we can't do with it is cook the Thanksgiving turkey in it, or bake a cake bigger than 8" tall, or more than a dozen cookies at a time

Considering getting a gas cooktop and converting it to propane to run off a bottle as our building doesn't have gas (our cooktop has an extraction hood that vents outside) and 95%+ of our cooking is done on a cast iron skillet

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 20, 2021

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

gp2k posted:

Wow your yard is amazing! Where I live lots are so small that would be a city park.

Almost all the lots in our town (at least the ones we could afford) are 50’ x 100’

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

tomapot posted:

Almost all the lots in our town (at least the ones we could afford) are 50’ x 100’

You got an ADU I may be able to move into? :)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Thanks for all of the comments on the asbestos. I'm going to go ahead and get it tested, only costs $35. I'd rather know if I need to go through all the rigamarole every time or not. And anyone buying a house built 80+ years ago is going to assume there's asbestos. If me disclosing that gives them second thoughts, ah well.

Oven chat:
Let us know what you find. Our new place doesn't have a convection fan and we are missing it already. The switch from electric to gas is interesting though, poo poo gets hot real quick.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Source4Leko posted:

Carburetor fouled up

I've been pretty lucky with carbs. I always splash some (snakeoil) engine treatment/gas stabilizer in the gas can when I fill it and turn off the fuel supply when I'm done mowing. So far so good, but I know my day will come with the lovely, corn-farmer-subsidy gasoline around here.

The other thing I did to reduce my mower frustration is buy one of those small 10W solar panel/charge controller kits. I mounted the solar panel on the roof of my shed, and connect the charger to the battery after every mow. It can trickle charge the battery all week, and it's guaranteed to start when I'm ready to mow.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

spf3million posted:

Thanks for all of the comments on the asbestos. I'm going to go ahead and get it tested, only costs $35. I'd rather know if I need to go through all the rigamarole every time or not. And anyone buying a house built 80+ years ago is going to assume there's asbestos. If me disclosing that gives them second thoughts, ah well.

drat, my dad had my brother and I bust up the chunks of plaster walls he pulled out of our house when I was like 12. It was built in the 1940s, iirc.

Makes me wonder what all I was exposed to growing up :ohdear:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
My homeowners insurance sent me a letter stating they are cancelling my policy in a month due to: Roof is in poor condition with curling shingles.

But my roof is fine. :argh: Seems like I'll just have to find another insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zarin posted:

drat, my dad had my brother and I bust up the chunks of plaster walls he pulled out of our house when I was like 12. It was built in the 1940s, iirc.

Makes me wonder what all I was exposed to growing up :ohdear:

Lead. So much lead. So much fine particulate. Potentially a lot or a little of asbestos.

Perhaps it explains signing up for the forums?