Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wow Dohalim gets a LOT to do plot-wise later in the game. Really shines a light on how Law is just kinda... here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I'm a bit past area 5 now, and the gameplay has definitely worn out it's welcome. I was so excited to be able to finally customize accessories...only to learn that bosses/minibosses now all completely ignore all aggro to focus only on the human player even on normal. Even with maxing out aggro down on Shionne (who I was playing), aggro up on Kisara, Kisara having every single aggro skill....completely ignored.

I actually enjoyed the difficulty of the bosses for awhile, but them giving you a dozen fun mechanics to use in combat only to go oh no you can't use any of these mechanics on bosses sure eroded that! Just use one of these 3 approved mechanics for every single boss fight in the entire game! I'm not sure why they decided that you weren't allowed to have any fun with the bosses, but it's a really weird design choice.

Edit: She's got a giant shield! She's literally as tank as you can get! But she can't actually tank unless you play as her!

Zeron fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 18, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least after that point the bosses are way easier just to mash through, for the past 1/3 of a game I've used like one life bottle and an orange gel per boss instead of them almost wiping out my consumables.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Natural 20 posted:

Honestly I might just get the swimsuit DLC purely for the improvement on Shionne's status ailments.

It's incredibly dumb that full skill trees are locked behind the paywall.

Oh god all those outfit dlcs give skill trees? That's just mean.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zeron posted:

I actually enjoyed the difficulty of the bosses for awhile, but them giving you a dozen fun mechanics to use in combat only to go oh no you can't use any of these mechanics on bosses sure eroded that! Just use one of these 3 approved mechanics for every single boss fight in the entire game! I'm not sure why they decided that you weren't allowed to have any fun with the bosses, but it's a really weird design choice.

Edit: She's got a giant shield! She's literally as tank as you can get! But she can't actually tank unless you play as her!

The counter attacks really bug me. You don't have time to scroll to the target mob and press the boost attack a lot of the time and they invariably whiff them anyway. I reckon shield and vines should work like Rinwell. If you use her boost when multiple enemies are casting or you don't have an enemy targeted she interrupts all casting. Just make the shield and vines always interrupt things doing the prescribed action they're designed to counter.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vines have a AoE effect at least so if you try and group enemies up (admittedly not easy sometimes) you can hit multiple.
They should all have some sort of semi permanent effect like that and the Law shield punch though, since it's not unusual to use Rinwell to stop casting and they just go straight back to it a couple of seconds later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never needed to target Kisara's shield, I just tossed it out and the enemy inevitably ran right into it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Weirdly I had trouble with it in the first boss it expects you to use it and then never again :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I never needed to target Kisara's shield, I just tossed it out and the enemy inevitably ran right into it.

Sounds lucky. I have her appear behind stuff charging right at my PC and just miss entirely all the time.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Sakurazuka posted:

Weirdly I had trouble with it in the first boss it expects you to use it and then never again :shrug:

Same here. It has been reliable since then though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Maybe I've just been unlucky. It hasn't spoiled the game or anything it's just a bit annoying/amusing when Kisara teleports in and casts the big shield to no effect.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
I've only really had luck with it when I'm very far from whatever's charging and I'm targeting it specifically. At any other point she just shows up and I get some extra AG for it while the thing charges anyway.

If there's a trick to doing it up close I haven't figured it out. But I'm bad at boost strikes, I usually whiff Law's when I'm playing as him, and I often call in for Shionne's airstrike after something's already fallen out of the sky so she just sort of shoots at nothing. Haha

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I always play as Shionne for the ability to actually see what's going on. She also makes it super easy to hit weak spots non stop.

E: also Rinwell because she's a really good implementation of a caster imo. I really like the spell storage gimmick.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Shionne during bosses so I can spam status ailments on the boss as much as possible. Alphen otherwise because Basic Combo->Swallow Dance->Dragon Swarm->Rising Wyvern->Air Combo->Stardust->Mirage is something like a 30+ hit combo which means it's super easy to get Boost Strikes on enemies.

JBP posted:

I always play as Shionne for the ability to actually see what's going on. She also makes it super easy to hit weak spots non stop.

E: also Rinwell because she's a really good implementation of a caster imo. I really like the spell storage gimmick.

Out of curiosity how do you play Shionne to actually do damage outside of Status? After bosses start getting resistant I kinda just dodge around on her and throw out Ice/Flare tornados when I can.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Swallow Blade. Law is the one who gets Swallow Dance.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Natural 20 posted:

Out of curiosity how do you play Shionne to actually do damage outside of Status? After bosses start getting resistant I kinda just dodge around on her and throw out Ice/Flare tornados when I can.

Magna ray, gravitas field and luke celestra with damage spells on L2. I did have her eat a lot of stat boost leaves. I also switch Artes to whatever weaknesses are.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

JBP posted:

enemies and bosses generally seem to target whoever you're playing as more often than going after the AI so there is the added benefit of making them run across the arena to try and hit you while your buddies beat him up. It's kinda how i even managed to beat 5th Lord since he was for some reason laser focused on me as Shionne 90% of the time and just hanging out in the air meant he just walked in circles underneath me while i hit him with bombs and poison.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I just... don't get this game sometimes.

Part 2 Dungeon Spoilers: "alright, so you beat the Wedge. And unlike every single dungeon so far, we're going to have you walk your rear end down from the top floor. And all of these damage sponge enemies respawned so have fun I'm just... why tho

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MechaX posted:

Part 2 Dungeon Spoilers: "alright, so you beat the Wedge. And unlike every single dungeon so far, we're going to have you walk your rear end down from the top floor. And all of these damage sponge enemies respawned so have fun I'm just... why tho

They keep doing that for all of Part 2. The reason is to make the game longer. Theres absolutely no other reason

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MechaX posted:

Get used to it, it keeps happening and sucks.

I'm in the final dungeon right now and it's the laziest, most annoying poo poo yet. Not hard at all, just endless corridors of mini-bosses that take 5 minutes apiece to kill, and when you reach the end of one corridor it just "flips" everything because something something gravity and you have to walk through the exact same area again in reverse, with even more tedious to whittle down mini-bosses everywhere. :suicide:

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Sydin posted:

Get used to it, it keeps happening and sucks.

I'm in the final dungeon right now and it's the laziest, most annoying poo poo yet. Not hard at all, just endless corridors of mini-bosses that take 5 minutes apiece to kill, and when you reach the end of one corridor it just "flips" everything because something something gravity and you have to walk through the exact same area again in reverse, with even more tedious to whittle down mini-bosses everywhere. :suicide:

It feels like they really ran out of steam after the 5th dude. Like they had enough content for a few dungeons but not enough to actually make it worth having a second OP? And what was with that poo poo about Dahna and Rena meaning to be one world? That's mentioned and never followed up on?? I feel like they're missing like ... a huge chunk of story or something.

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 19, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It definitely feels like there was some sort of kerfuffle with the post Op 2 content because There are random things that have payoffs here like what the gently caress happened at the end of the Balseph fight and Ye Olde Eye Shine from Alphen where they clearly were setting them up, but the entire execution is so rushed and muddled it feels like they didn't really finish deciding how this part was going to go.

They also sort of hastily explain rules that make earlier scenes make less sense too, like how and when ships arrive on Dahna.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would like to tell all the devs at Arise to gently caress off with not telling me how high level the sidequest boss is, and not letting me retreat

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
drat this is a fast turnaround from earlier, more positive views on the game

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Junpei posted:

Most of the bullshit is backloaded. Everything before the 5th area is pretty good imo. That’s when small issues from earlier become bigger, more obvious ones.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Junpei posted:

It’s still an alright game, in the end - like I don’t regret the time I spent on it. But there is a pretty steep decline in the quality of the story (and the game in general, really) after the fifth region.

Honestly feels like a totally different set of writers finished the story.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Can anyone tell me what percentage into the game I am if I just entered the fifth lords castle?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Junpei posted:

Early reviews skew to the early game where its best. Its pretty good overall, it just, boy it fades in the stretch where all its unforced errors come together while the story free falls.

If the post OP 2 content wasn't in the game it'd be a solid 85-90 and easy recommend but insteaaaad

CubeTheory posted:

Can anyone tell me what percentage into the game I am if I just entered the fifth lords castle?

70%~ roughly. The post OP 2 game length is quite small, just slightly larger than the two dungeons+lord setup for previous zones.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah the game has a strong start, but the latter half of the game just brings it down so much that you really want to stop playing...but you can't get any resolution to the actual good parts from earlier without clearing the whole thing.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Zeron posted:

I was so excited to be able to finally customize accessories

Whoa whoa wait what

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Whoa whoa wait what

You can, late game, move the bonus traits from accessories to other accessories. You never can target specific traits however, so the whole system just sucks and I refuse to interact with it

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Oh I'm an idiot and mistook accessories for attachments

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
Regarding the game's quality in the later half, I wouldn't say it's bad, exactly. It's just not as polished and shiny as the first half imo. It never gets to the baffling level of terrible that Zestiria's story did, and while it doesn't measure up to Abyss or Berseria in terms of plot, the characters remain pretty great throughout, and a lot of the latter skits are playful and funny and charming. Pretty much all the good side quest stuff is in the second half, too.

The battle system has some issues with lack of artes (and ability to use as many as you might want) and the bosses being kinda slogs, but there are artifacts and stuff that help with that.

There are a couple of "... oh. Okay...?" moments towards the very end, but that's not really unusual for this series. Sometimes you fight a racism dragon, sometimes you time jump several times to fight a copy of a dead guy, and fairly often there's some ancient galactic problem that nobody knows about that needs to be punched in the face. :iiam:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I’m in the segment that I am assuming is before the final dungeon and the game just feels like Star Ocean 6 at this point

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think I'm about where MechaX is myself and I've started actively skipping textboxes once I've speed-read everything. I am actually surprised the sheer decline in the game's quality of both the actual gameplay and the plot by this point. It makes me sad because I was having so much fun for the first 40 hours...

People have said this over and over again but dang it really does feel like a completely different writing team worked on the back chunk of the game and for the significant worse

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 19, 2021

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

You can, late game, move the bonus traits from accessories to other accessories. You never can target specific traits however, so the whole system just sucks and I refuse to interact with it

There's a search function, but unless I missed it the search doesn't have an uncheck all button. I think it's only when transferring though so you'll still have to hunt for -10% CP vost or whatever manually to craft in the first place. Still made -60% faerie rings for Shionne and Dolahim and some less important stuff for the others.

e: it sucks but probably less than Berseria's equipment system and certainly less than Zesty's, so by series standards it's acceptable I guess...

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I"m joining the "wow, that was a rude side quest game!" club. If you're in the post second OP part of the game, as a rule of thumb stay away from any quests where the NPCs say a light came down on an area recently. Those all seem to the motherfucker quests that throw level 60+ enemies at you that you can't run away from regularly. But i want to make a special Shout out to Farewell,Mage because it's the enemy level choices are baffling i'll put my experience with it spoiler tags for those that don't to see.

I had already been that mountaintop area and figured it would open up way later and since way later has happend after Lord 5 i went there first in the huge amount of sidquests the game opens up at this point, about 85% of which you can actually do at level 37-40 which you are probably around at this point.

So you go up the mountain and you run into the level 39 Berzerker fast guys. Not a huge problem. But then if you move up the path there is an NPC getting attacked by birds which you are forced into a with that are LEVEL 66! and you can't run away from them! Thankfully though if you just keep hitting them with arts and your various character boost attacks you can hit them with break combos and kill them fast that way, hopefully you can kill them before they kill you because you can take 2 shots from them before you die, even as Kisara most of the time too. Why even have seperate enemy groups that are so far aparet in level like that? Makes no sense!

It's a bit of a shame because that tower has a pretty cool big dragon looking boss that does the spirit temple thing where you're running around the map in combat mode well before the thing even shows up while you just fight it's adds. I think the adds are suppose to be kind of a level/DPS check but the adds aren't really aggressive enough so the AI just kept using my life bottles and wasting my time while i coulden't run from this fight either

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MechaX posted:

So I’m in the segment that I am assuming is before the final dungeon and the game just feels like Star Ocean 6 at this point

It certainly made me want a new Star Ocean game. It's me, the guy who enjoys those mediocre games :unsmith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eh, i thought the back half was fine. there's definitely some of what i would call Writing Jank, but that's hardly unique for the series, and it certainly wears the weird third act twists better than, like, Xillia, where they needed to make an entire second game just to finish the plot points they didn't have the time to. I'd still say the game's an 8ish and I'd still recommend it.

It does feel like the game was a bit rushed in the back half though. With how long this game was in development and it being a big tentpole release for this year for Bamco, it probably got rushed out when they needed more time. Going by interviews they spent a lot of time figuring out just what this game should even be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

What? You absolutely can. It asks you what trait you want to transfer and which one you want to overwrite.