Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
This is my favorite:

quote:

The suggested reasoning is that Joe Biden cares more about corporate interests than the environment, and major media outlets are not raising a huge stink about it because they are — you guessed it — owned by corporations.

I think you are supposed to scoff at and disagree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
They start from the core conclusion that Biden has to be good because he is a democrat. Then construct this desperately intricate rant on top of it. Each one is like a snowflake and is completely unique based on the things that the person writing it feels at the time.

If you stand back and appreciate these things for what they are it's less annoying and at least interesting. It's still a little gross when you realize they only care about their own feelings which is why they sit around all day writing giant screeds to argue with their own bad thoughts and not care about the harm they are enabling and justifying with their words.

Seriously. People are mad about the government doubling down on loving up the environment in 2021 when things are so dire and the stakes are so high and the response in some people's brains is to try and justify the environment getting hosed up to eliminate the possibility of it being a bad thing that can be attributed to Joe Biden? This is like an alien TV show almost.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

2000 words on why it's good, actually, for Biden to resume selling drilling permits

Only 1100 words, actually, and, no, it does suck that they are resuming the sale of leases! But I think the leftist disagreement comes down to "Biden should just ignore court orders and do whatever he wants, because that's what the previous guy did and he got away with it!"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Slow News Day posted:

Only 1100 words, actually, and, no, it does suck that they are resuming the sale of leases! But I think the leftist disagreement comes down to "Biden should just ignore court orders and do whatever he wants, because that's what the previous guy did and he got away with it!"

Do you really not understand that power is something you take? So Biden actively choosing not to use the power in front of him is absolutely loving stupid and using this as an excuse is extremely stupid?

Biden literally just doesnt loving care about the future. He's on deaths door. He's always been dogshit bad at doing anything for the future. He literally was a major player in loving over students with making student loans undischargable. He's always been against desegregation. Nothing in his character makes me think he isn't just fine continuing to hurt young people and future generations.

No one here has any reason to think he is doing anything to be "good"

edit: God for fucks sake his own home state, Delaware, is so insanely loving polluted its wild. Delaware itself is the most at risk state for sea level rise, percentage wise, in the US. They're literally already losing land to salt water incursion and he doesn't. loving. care.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 22:29 on Sep 18, 2021

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Slow News Day posted:

The magnitude of the crisis requires a bit more that shrugging your shoulders and saying nothing can be done at the first roadblock

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

who gives a gently caress? we're all dead anyway

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I literally just cannot loving imagine defending Biden on anything but especially climate change/pollution poo poo.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

lol

yes the way in which the government of the great satan approves pounding more nails into our coffin is very important

personally I cope by doing sports and then booze and weed sometimes

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
"The younger generation now tells me how tough things are. Give me a break. No, no, I have no empathy for it. Give me a break."

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Top Gun Reference posted:

"The younger generation now tells me how tough things are. Give me a break. No, no, I have no empathy for it. Give me a break."

"Nothing will fundamentally change"

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Why why why why why why
Calm down,.man

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.
Ah, it's always the classic

Most powerful man in the world is just a mere bystander.

Sorry kids! There are contracts to fulfill and money to be made - none of which any of the plebs here will enjoy. Everyone else will get to enjoy biosphere collapse with no guardrails.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
No, you see i was justifying the destruction of our environment because a democrat was doing it. That was important at the time.

Trust me, grandson's skeleton, you didn't want the other guys to have been the ones destroying the environment.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

IAMKOREA posted:

I haven't read the needle thing can you post a link pls thanks buddy

Through the Eye of a Needle: An Eco-Heterodox Perspective on the Renewable Energy Transition

Radio Ecoshock interview with co-author Megan Seibert

quote:

A recent International Energy Agency (IEA) [82] report estimates that reaching “net zero” globally by 2050 would require six times the amount of mineral resources used today. This would entail a quantity of metal production—requiring considerable FF combustion—over the next 15 years roughly equal to that from the start of humanity until 2013

Rime has issued a correction as of 23:05 on Sep 18, 2021

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

IAMKOREA posted:

This is my favorite:

I think you are supposed to scoff at and disagree with this.

Thank you, I understand now. I got to that point, got confused as hell, and quit reading.

IAMKOREA posted:

I haven't read the needle thing can you post a link pls thanks buddy

tl;dr:

CODChimera posted:

who gives a gently caress? we're all dead anyway

I kid. Well worth a read.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There's a whole thread for quoting d&d in cspam, but I don't think I can cope with it being posted in the climate thread.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

kino rules. gameboy-rear end joy division https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4eiGUBdMexU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
imagine looking down the barrel of untold, unavoidable global and individual suffering and saying "yes, D&D is where I want to spend my remaining time and sanity"

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Slow News Day posted:

"Biden should just ignore court orders and do whatever he wants, because that's what the previous guy did and he got away with it!"

i mean, yes :shrug:

(he's doing what he wants)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Slow News Day posted:

lol if that's how the game is played (you can ignore court orders and get away with it) then YES
i cannot loving believe you're even asking the question
if you can do it then DO IT

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

i mean, yes :shrug:

(he's doing what he wants)

Biden can only be a big boy and skate by the rules with dubious reasoning when it comes to blowing up people.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/04/973561029/lawmakers-on-capitol-hill-criticize-bidens-order-for-airstrikes-against-syria

quote:

CHRIS MURPHY: As many presidents have, President Biden is claiming just the general power that a president has to defend troops overseas. That is not how Congress has interpreted the president's war-making authorities. What we've said through the War Powers Act is that the president has the ability to strike without congressional authorization if he's trying to prevent an imminent threat against U.S. troops. But he doesn't, under the War Powers Act, have the ability to take a retaliatory strike without coming to Congress first. If it's not an emergency, then the Constitution generally says you've got to get signoff from Congress.

God forbid a POTUS use his outsized power and influence to affect good policy and things for the people and the biosphere itself.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

silicone thrills posted:

"Nothing will fundamentally change"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbKfw8mojGc

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Slow News Day posted:

the rules are the rules and the rules say we have to do our best to annihilate all life on earth

that's just the breaks, sorry lifeists

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
lmao at Trump demonstrating for four years that the only thing holding back the powers of the executive are gentlemen's agreements not to use them, then the moment we get a bloo president (with majority in both houses!) it's back to pretending there's real checks and balances and implementing meaningful change is like, just so hard dude

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lost Time posted:

Biden can only be a big boy and skate by the rules with dubious reasoning when it comes to blowing up people.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/04/973561029/lawmakers-on-capitol-hill-criticize-bidens-order-for-airstrikes-against-syria

God forbid a POTUS use his outsized power and influence to affect good policy and things for the people and the biosphere itself.

The president could do any number of things to stop this stuff.

When it's a democrat being a jerk though we need to make the process sound elaborate and labyrinthian. He can't just keep writing executive orders that take the first into account. It's just executive branch double jeopardy and he can never try anything on this subject again. A judge and court is deciding the single binary yes or no answer to this situation and he is helpless. He has no control over any of the federal agencies or personnel involved in permitting and inspecting two thousands part of this. None of the materials, organizations, clearance or inputs into this process can be influenced by the president in any way at all and nothing could ever be done to stop this other than the original executive order.

It's almost like the billions of corporate dollars in politics is being supported by these unhinged voters that volunteer to run defense for the perpetrators for free because they own their merchandise.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Slow News Day posted:

Yeah man, it's in the rules that we all have to die so I say we rally around Diamond Joe and kiss his forehead and be glad for his rule following ways

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Nobody should spend a second of their time reading/posting in D&D and every time someone in our Climate, Economic, or Covid Collapse threads tempts me to look over the fence again, I quickly feel anger or disgust

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I wouldn't say it was amazing, but this book has a couple sections that have always stuck with me and only gotten more relevant. Especially this stretch of a dude going through a forest fire on future quaaludes

https://imgur.com/a/zxwH2Ff

Might have to do a full read through of it again, it's probably been at least a decade since I did last

i remember when i was a little hubbert and I saw Warday on my dad's library shelf, and thought it would be a really cool war about soldiers going to war and stuff, so i started reading it

boy howdy was i wrong. first chapter is literally the story of new york city in the immediate aftermath of a limited nuclear exchange, the subway tunnels flooding (with a lone spanish survivor screaming "AGUA" from a nearby station stairwell), there's a loving tsunami, and then there's a bit where one of the main characters chronicles the immediate aftermath at his kid's school as everyone is dying from radiation poisoning

anyways, more fiction recommendations: The Water Knife is great

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Sep 19, 2021

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Hubbert posted:

anyways, more fiction recommendations: The Water Knife is great

I will also recommend American War, it's great

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

IAMKOREA posted:

This can hardly be described as a "stab in the back". If you read the article:

Here's what happened:

• On January 21st, one day after taking office, Biden signed Executive Order 14008 to, among many other things, put a pause on oil and gas drilling. Section 208 is the relevant section.
  • On February 12th, the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) rescinded their decision for the lease sales in Gulf of Mexico, along with several other sites, in accordance with the EO.
  • In March, Louisiana and twelve other states (AL, AK, AR, GA, MS, MO, MT, NE, OK, TX, UT, and WV) filed a motion for preliminary injunction on the basis that the EO violates two Congressional statues: the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act of 1953 ("OCSLA") and the Mineral Leasing Act of 1920 ("MLA").
  • In May, the administration filed their opposition.
  • In June, the DC Circuit ruled in favor of the states. Here's the reasoning (from page 33 of the ruling) of the Trump-appointed judge:

• The administration appealed the ruling on August 16th, but while the appeals process takes place the preliminary injunction on the Pause remains in effect (i.e. the administration is legally compelled to continue the lease sales).
  • On August 31st, the BOEM announced that the lease sale will continue.

Next, let's talk about the tweet. It's worth noting that one of the founders of The Daily Poster is David Sirota, who is currently its Editor in Chief. As many of you know, Sirota was a senior advisor for Bernie's 2020 presidential campaign. He has been incredibly salty and petty about Bernie's loss, and has been conducting a campaign of trying to undermine Biden and his administration since then. He has also shared the DP article on his own account:

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1439253066981597184

This was then retweeted by the DP account:

https://twitter.com/dailyposter/status/1439254325465739266

Aside from the pathetic and embarrassing (not to mention duplicitous) sock-puppet behavior demonstrated above, the primary claim that is pushed by Sirota/DP is that the Biden administration is dismissing the IPCC report as unimportant. You can tell by the title of the DP article: “Does Not Present Sufficient Cause”, which is almost mockingly quoting the decision document by BOEM. The suggested reasoning is that Joe Biden cares more about corporate interests than the environment, and major media outlets are not raising a huge stink about it because they are — you guessed it — owned by corporations. Sirota also injects other claims, such as the bit about "Biden's plan to vastly expand offshore drilling"... which appears to be a flat out lie. Maybe Sirota is envisioning a scenario where Joe Biden himself screamed "lease out those wells NOW!" and everyone scrambled to comply and the few aides who dared to mutter "b...b...but sir... your campaign promises..." got fired, but what is actually taking place is simply a series of boring administrative and legal procedures.

Now, let's do some more digging. The quote in the article title is taken from the Record of Decision (ROD) document released by BOEM, which the article links to. Here's the relevant bit (from page 7):

The cited case, Stand Up for California! v. United States Dep’t of the Interior, can be found here. The case itself pertains to a rather long and complex dispute between a tribe in California and the Department of Interior. The details aren't particularly relevant; the reason it was cited in the ROD document is that it has a section that describes the circumstances that warrant supplementing an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) or preparing a new one. Emphasis mine:

To summarize, supplementing an EIS is necessary only if new and substantial information comes to light between when the final EIS is published and when the decision is being deliberated on.

At this point, you might be wondering why the IPCC doesn't qualify. After all, it did in fact issue warnings about catastrophic climate change, and everyone knows burning fossil fuels is a contributor. So why did BOEM conclude that it did not "present sufficient cause" to supplement the EIS? Not that supplementing it would actually change the final decision, since that decision was forced/mandated by the DC Circuit — but it is still worth discussing since it lies at the heart of Sirota's breathless reporting that aims to paint Joe Biden as anti-environment.

There are a few possible reasons. The most obvious one is that the IPCC report does not actually contain any new research. Indeed, the wikipedia page for IPCC explicitly says this:

The assessment reports are compilations of existing (several decades worth of) scientific literature reviewed, analyzed and summarized by a UN panel of scientists for consumption by policy makers, who themselves may not have a scientific background. It is quite unlikely that it contains any new information that the BOEM career employees (who are actually experts in their relevant fields) who wrote the EIS were not aware of.

It's also worth noting that even though EIS stands for "environmental impact statement", the documents are actually massive reports, usually spanning multiple hundred pages. They can take years to prepare. Here's the relevant one. It is very long, but essentially compares the benefits and impacts of five different alternative approaches for the lease sale. These are compared in the executive summary, on page :

The immediate thing that might pop out at someone looking at this carefully is that even though these categories are related to various aspects of the environment (air quality, water quality, impact on protected species, etc.), they are different from the concerns of IPCC, which relate to climate change as a whole. In other words, there's a real good chance that the IPCC report was considered to have a very different scope and did not have any information that would tangibly conflict with and/or alter the analysis in the EIS.

To conclude:

• Biden signed an EO which put oil and gas leases on pause (which he wouldn't have done if he indeed did not care).
  • The courts issued a preliminary injunction on the Pause.
  • The administration has appealed the ruling (which they wouldn't do if they indeed did not care).
  • The EIS was not written by "the administration", but rather by career employees at BOEM, who tend to both be very well-shielded from political pressure and also know their poo poo.

To mods/IKs: Please start enforcing the guidelines outlined in the Media Literacy thread so as to reduce the noise to signal ratio in this thread. People need to actually read the stuff they are posting, and seek confirmation from other sources, rather than, you know, breathlessly coming into this thread to slam controversial tweets along with zero effort edgy/cynical commentary.

aids cope cope aids cope aids cope cope aids aids aids cope cope aids aids cope aids cope aids cope cope cope

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
was that a dnd post that accidentally got rerouted to the wrong forum?

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

skipmyseashells posted:

unattributed quote that the original author came in to defend

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

skipmyseashells posted:

It's posted there too. And hooboy are they lapping it up.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Just honestly amazing that someone is willing to put in so much effort for the vague hope of being technically correct while completely missing and failing to address the core point they're trying to refute.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
This is literally the two skeletons walk into a bar bit. Literally the joke became real. gently caress.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

SniperWoreConverse posted:

This is literally the two skeletons walk into a bar bit. Literally the joke became real. gently caress.

Life, imitating Art.