Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nep-Nep posted:

Remember that time Quinn killed the strip club guy and then shot himself in the arm so he could claim it was self-defense? And how there was no point to that.

That was the end of the seasonlong plot with the Ukrainian mafia. The guy Quinn kills had managed to overthrow Ray Stevenson's character and become the mafia's top guy in Miami. And then Quinn kills him and I guess the Ukranian mob was just like "You know what? Forget Miami"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

That was the end of the seasonlong plot with the Ukrainian mafia. The guy Quinn kills had managed to overthrow Ray Stevenson's character and become the mafia's top guy in Miami. And then Quinn kills him and I guess the Ukranian mob was just like "You know what? Forget Miami"

And the adventures continued in Barry

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

George H.W. oval office posted:

And the adventures continued in Barry

God, Barry is such a great show.

Dexter is the king of Suck Balls Mountain.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Season three of Barry ever coming out?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

itry posted:

Obviously fake because no one would care about Quinn

That's a bit harsh. Maybe "care" is a strong word, but I do Quair very deeply about the character.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Season three of Barry ever coming out?

Due to COVID they went ahead and wrote season 4 and are shooting 3 and 4 together

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You know I saw the trailer 2 or 3 times and didn't realize until this time that Clancy Brown is in it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's a bit harsh. Maybe "care" is a strong word, but I do Quair very deeply about the character.

:golfclap:

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I want Quinn to come back.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Quair's hair care line for men

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I want Quinn to come back.

ooo having Quinn come back as the law enforcement on Dexter's rear end for a season would be cool. There's a bit of an issue in that I think the real good motivation for him would be Deb just vanishing, but in the finale he seemed to completely accept that Deb was brain dead.

But if they're just handwaving Deb's death away ... I don't think they will but there's a shot in the trailer where she's wearing completely un-Deb business clothing and doing her "spread all the photos around on the floor to take in the evidence all at once" thing. If they do like a Halloween: H20 where they're like "the finale didn't happen the way it was shown" and Deb's alive or something ...

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

C'mon give them a bit of cred- ok whatever

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

PostNouveau posted:

ooo having Quinn come back as the law enforcement on Dexter's rear end for a season would be cool. There's a bit of an issue in that I think the real good motivation for him would be Deb just vanishing, but in the finale he seemed to completely accept that Deb was brain dead.

But if they're just handwaving Deb's death away ... I don't think they will but there's a shot in the trailer where she's wearing completely un-Deb business clothing and doing her "spread all the photos around on the floor to take in the evidence all at once" thing. If they do like a Halloween: H20 where they're like "the finale didn't happen the way it was shown" and Deb's alive or something ...

She was revived by the hurricane magic!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nep-Nep posted:

She was revived by the hurricane magic!

If you want to do this ridiculous thing I'm proposing, I think it's gotta be more along the lines of "Dexter's tortured psyche caused him to hallucinate some things."

It would be insane, but if you just did it and then left it in the past you could proceed and wipe away Deb's death, which is I think the worst mistake of the Season 8. This does not explain why Not Ghost Deb would be OK with Harrison living in Argentina with Hannah, but whatever.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'd be ok with an alternate reality Dexter. No explanation needed. Just ignore all the dumb stuff from the original series (so about 80% of it).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

itry posted:

I'd be ok with an alternate reality Dexter. No explanation needed. Just ignore all the dumb stuff from the original series (so about 80% of it).

Rita died, so he went and became a lumberjack.

A few years ago, he had a REALLY elaborate and super dumb dream about an alternate path he could have taken, where his young son suddenly becomes an adult while wiping out on a treadmill, LaGuerta becomes a bench, Quinn and Batista witness one of his most direct killings and don't care, and Deb goes braindead so he throws her into his storm mom.

Makes perfect sense to me :shrug:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Rita died, so he went and became a lumberjack.

A few years ago, he had a REALLY elaborate and super dumb dream about an alternate path he could have taken, where his young son suddenly becomes an adult while wiping out on a treadmill, LaGuerta becomes a bench, Quinn and Batista witness one of his most direct killings and don't care, and Deb goes braindead so he throws her into his storm mom.

Makes perfect sense to me :shrug:

And he also imagined a hilarious sex scene where quinn is boning whilst looking morosely off into the distance.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

And he also imagined a hilarious sex scene where quinn is boning whilst looking morosely off into the distance.

If Seasons 5-8 were all a dream, Dexter definitely had some unacknowledged feelings for Quinn

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Davros1 posted:

I kind of hope this new season goes even more batshit. Like it's revealed at the end that Michael C Hall isn't playing Dexter, but is actually playing Dexter's son Harrison, and the show takes place in the future.

This would legit rule

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Michael c. Hall is playing all the characters,including the bench…especially the bench.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
While not really all that necessary.....I did finish 'Six Feet Under' a couple of weeks back and could use some more MCH.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

RestingB1tchFace posted:

While not really all that necessary.....I did finish 'Six Feet Under' a couple of weeks back and could use some more MCH.

Check out the masterpiece that is Gamer.

:okpos:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

itry posted:

MCH has been in some silly poo poo over the years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNlwoTbkk5M

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

itry posted:

Gamer owns.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MCH as Dr Frankenfurter is my dream cast. He would kill it I feel.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

MCH has been in some silly poo poo over the years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNlwoTbkk5M

This scene was so weird, and so out of place. And yet... that's probably the only thing I actually remember from that movie.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Let it not be forgotten in any self imposed memory purge of the latter seasons that the series' funniest moment came from season 7

https://youtu.be/0-ub_oagrSk

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Someone made a 80 minute retrospective on all the seasons and by far my favorite moment is him losing it at ghost dad in season 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu9ozR3qII&t=3902s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Someone made a 80 minute retrospective on all the seasons and by far my favorite moment is him losing it at ghost dad in season 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu9ozR3qII&t=3902s

It took me all day to finally get around to it, but this is loving beautiful.

Everyone ITT needs to watch it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You say that... but it's 80 minutes of secondhand Dexter.

Verus posted:

Uh... I don't think that's how hours work.

Yeah I was thinking 1 hour 20 but Dexter's innocent smile distracted me and it came out as 120 min

itry fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 25, 2021

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

itry posted:

You say that... but it's 120 minutes of secondhand Dexter.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Verus posted:

Yeah, it's 83 minutes of someone tearing the show's many lovely aspects to pieces.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The back half of it is quite good when he's tearing into the bad seasons

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

He also does a 'how I would fix Dexter', and I'm bummed we didn't get THAT show.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I've been seeing that around but was hesitant to watch cause I thought it might be some nut job gushing about how great the show was throughout its entire run. Glad to hear I was wrong, I'll have to give it a listen.

He also does a 'how I would fix Dexter', and I'm bummed we didn't get THAT show.

One of my favorite things about this show is how nearly every seriously proposed fan idea I've heard would have been much better than what we ended up with. And I'm not saying the fans had better killer ideas or anything like that; the final few antagonists and concepts were fine on paper, it's just they were poorly handled. Most of the fans who want to fix those last few years know how the show should have ended and where the focus should have been, and that was on the fallout of Dexter's actions and, usually, his secret eventually being exposed. It serves as a reminder that the last few seasons could have been a good send off, but weren't because the writers lost track of what the show was. Dexter was not supposed to be a superhero taking out the trash with zero lasting consequence to any of his actions, but by god that's what happened.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I still fondly think back to the scene from season 2 where Dexter fantasizes about being Murder Batman, with the latex costume and adoring crowds and everything, only to eventually conclude "no, that's insanely stupid, it won't happen."

Then it happens. Not as some kind of ironic statement, but slowly and sincerely as the show disappears up its own rear end. There's nothing quite like it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JaddaCaddra posted:

I've been seeing that around but was hesitant to watch cause I thought it might be some nut job gushing about how great the show was throughout its entire run. Glad to hear I was wrong, I'll have to give it a listen.

You really should watch it. It's essentially what all of us in the Dexter threads have always felt but it's cathartic to know that other people, aside from SA goons, are going to watch it and see/hear just how monumentally lovely (with some good moments) Dexter was, instead of somehow looking back on it fondly.

I really hope he does SoA. THAT show gets WAY more love than it ever deserved. "Oop! Another double cross, out by the same barn!"

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

You really should watch it. It's essentially what all of us in the Dexter threads have always felt but it's cathartic to know that other people, aside from SA goons, are going to watch it and see/hear just how monumentally lovely (with some good moments) Dexter was, instead of somehow looking back on it fondly.

I really hope he does SoA. THAT show gets WAY more love than it ever deserved. "Oop! Another double cross, out by the same barn!"

Already working on it good buddy. I actually accidentally started from the moment he freaks out about Ghost Dad due to not realizing that was where the link posted started, and decided to just go from there and worked backwards a bit. His thoughts on how the writing team made Dexter into a superhero were especially resonant. Nice to know we're not the only sane ones.

Man, I don't do videos but I've been tempted to do something like this for YEARS with SOA. You know how much poo poo I've had to say about that over the years. Remember Ghost Pilot's recaps? I'd love to see that replicated, but in video form, for a wider audience because as you said, it's something that needs to have its bullshit pointed out, because SOA is basically FX's Dexter, in terms of starting off good and going to poo poo real quick but still somehow being so beloved. Course I'm sure Sutter would do whatever he could to get it taken down... and if that failed, probably remind everyone what a guttermouth piece of poo poo he is with a couple of trash talking tweets that are more disgusting than funny.

As a side note, did you ever get to watch the Mayans? I've only seen the first two seasons but it was surprisingly good. Not great, but good, and maybe it will become great since Sutter was fired for being a giant sack of garbage to people on set.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JaddaCaddra posted:

One of my favorite things about this show is how nearly every seriously proposed fan idea I've heard would have been much better than what we ended up with.

He talks about a podcast with all the writers and MCH, and they said the dumbest thing anyone ever proposed was Season 8 "Harry faked his death and comes back to antagonize Dexter."

While yes, that would have been very very dumb; it would have been a million times better than anything that happened in the last 3 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

gently caress it, let Quinn and Deb have been married with kids for a decade and let Doakes return but in a wheelchair or something.