Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Ah, yes. The Kerbal Space Program approach of "leave them there, we'll work out a rescue mission later." The main issue I have is that I can't think of a good way to get revival fluid to them if they're in spacesuits. I guess you can move the petrified statues to a safer place, cut the suits open (since you don't need to keep those intact), and then revive the astronauts.

The comedy option, of course, is that the astronauts are hit by a meteor before they're rescued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Cannot wait to sob at how beautiful this manga's Gunbuster ending will be.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I wonder how difficult it would be to split the atom at their current level of technology. Nuke the moon!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Vengarr posted:

I wonder how difficult it would be to split the atom at their current level of technology. Nuke the moon!

Can't be that hard. Einstein managed it in a shed in Tasmania with a knife.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Yeah, considering fission has been a natural geological process at points, and they're building machines with the precision of jet turbine engines, splitting the atom is more about the amount of risk you want to introduce in a society that went from the stone age to the jet age in less than a human lifetime than anything else. Finding fissile material would be the hard part except that you have a super geologist, a super cartographer and two super scientists who know that in fact, it is a place of honor, and what is buried there is useful if dangerous.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Making a nuclear bomb wouldn't be impossible given the nature of this manga, but it would be super dirty and inefficient per gram of uranium. Enriching uranium I feel is a process that even if you know the theory behind it you need modern precise tech to pull it off, but hey we're building space rockets now so

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

NowonSA posted:

I mean, there's your setup for the final few chapters right? Senku and a few others go to the moon, fix the Whyman issue, radio back that they've saved the day, and petrify themselves. Then instead of it taking heaps of time for them to get rescued, it takes like 40 years because the people on earth busted their asses to revive science. Then we get Senku meeting the older versions of all the characters, maybe with a mix of "oh we figured out how to live forever and not age that much with the Medusa tech." Toss a quick Senku explanation of how we fix the wild overpopulation/food issues that would arise from immortal humans (give me that sick rear end roadmap to terraforming Mars into a lush green planet full of agriculture please) and then that's a wrap on this fun manga.

With medusa and petrification/depetrification, we could simply slowboat across the universe and colonize anything for billions of years until the conditions of the universe become too hostile in general.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

AtomikKrab posted:

With medusa and petrification/depetrification, we could simply slowboat across the universe and colonize anything for billions of years until the conditions of the universe become too hostile in general.

Turns out it's not a villain on the moon, it's just someone who really wants to have humanity practice doing interstellar voyages

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Chapter 210
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-chapter-210/chapter/23203?action=read

Haha Chrome & Suika be like "We'll simply build a return craft!"

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

rannum posted:

Chapter 210
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-chapter-210/chapter/23203?action=read

Haha Chrome & Suika be like "We'll simply build a return craft!"

"Endearing" is a word that comes to mind a lot reading this manga.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's just so unabashedly hopeful that it can't help but be endearing.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
What sort of corners could you cut on a return craft if the astronauts could be petrified during re-entry?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ZiegeDame posted:

What sort of corners could you cut on a return craft if the astronauts could be petrified during re-entry?
Well, no life support and less radiation shielding for one. You just need a vehicle that can generate enough propulsion to get off the moon towards earth, and survive re-entry with the contents intact. Also it needs to be able to be easily located.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

If they can make a working lander, they can make a return craft. The real problem here is the fuel/weight and the tyranny of the rocket equation, and I don't see how Chrome and Suika designing a return craft gets around this.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ZiegeDame posted:

I think this’ll be the difference in thinking that allows Chrome and Suika to pull off something Senku didn’t think of. To Senku and Xeno of the old world the Medusa is brand new and they haven’t thought too much of integrating it into their science, but Chrome and Suika have learned science while already knowing about the Medusa.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Chrome and Suika, with their naïve minds unbiased by modern education, are really taking well to their lessons on math and physics. However they notice through experimental verification that the laws of physics they are taught don't match up with reality and they eventually discover they like be in an ancestor simulation

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tamba posted:

If they can make a working lander, they can make a return craft. The real problem here is the fuel/weight and the tyranny of the rocket equation, and I don't see how Chrome and Suika designing a return craft gets around this.

Remember: magic space robot on the ISS.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vengarr posted:

Remember: magic space robot on the ISS.

I try not to

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tiddy-bot 2000cc will be the savior the series needs.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I didnt read the side thing with the magic space robot and i dont want to need to

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

mabels big day posted:

I didnt read the side thing with the magic space robot and i dont want to need to

Its almost guaranteed to become a huge factor in the story imo. Might as well bite the bullet so you aren’t spitting fire when she shows up.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Vengarr posted:

Its almost guaranteed to become a huge factor in the story imo. Might as well bite the bullet so you aren’t spitting fire when she shows up.

I very much doubt this, the magic space robot is so completely out of line with everything in the main series that I can't imagine it being brought in.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Vizuyos posted:

I very much doubt this, the magic space robot is so completely out of line with everything in the main series that I can't imagine it being brought in.

a deus ex machina to save senku when its clear that chromes plan fails?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Vizuyos posted:

It felt like the only reason for the spin-off was to justify the existence of the ISS 2,000 years in the future…and then the main crew discovered they had to go to space.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Early release this week.

Z=211. World Tour for Resources.
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009825
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-chapter-211/chapter/23229?action=read

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

I never understand the poo poo the "Bud-tender" yammers on about.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

So, i was looking into the side manga again and uh...chrome noticed the light rei shined from space back in the day.

He even managed to chart it out, but uh...he didnt know japanese...yet.

Didnt he learn it during this trip?

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

This arc has thrown off my sense of the passage of time for this manga. They say it's been "ten long years", but does that include the seven years of stone time after the battle with Stanley? If that's the case, how long have they been going around the world founding cities? Did they just spend a year in Indonesia doing nothing but growing rice?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the manga skips past most of it but founding each of these cities and developing production takes a lot of time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Travel time on a turbine powered boat is still quite a bit when you're boating around from India to the US the long way around (I think?) and then back to Japan.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I assume they’re including the 7 years petrified. Otherwise Suika would be a grown-rear end woman.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Like, the original trip form japan to america took like 2-3 months alone i think, and obviously the time it takes to set up each city would be skipped cuz that's kinda boring, so i can see founding the cities, and travel time would take a bit considering they wanted to get each city set up to properly produce each material, not just..."okay lets revive some folks and leave them with basic blueprints"

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I think this manga lost the script somewhere along the way.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pewdiepie posted:

I think this manga lost the script somewhere along the way.

It seems like Inagaki is trying to hurry through the "boring" parts to get to rocketry, which will probably take up about a year or so of chapters as they deal with failed flights, spacesuits, life support systems, etc.

If it was simply "Reactivate civilization" then I think it could've just continued along the arc we were on with magnetized iron, sulfa drug, glass, cell phone, power stations, etc. But the manga has to juggle "Rediscover technology" with "Solve the mystery of the worldwide petrification event".

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I can also see maybe not wanting to go through the song & dance of "new country, revive people, oh no MASSIVE PROBLEMS" every single time. We know the gist, so we're skipping along stuff that'd probably have been full arcs to just have a much wider arc dedicated to the rocket.

Or maybe it's just the author not wanting the manga to run forever, so let's just speed through these breadcrumbs. Or the editors were like "speed it up"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Revived Americans and our guns took up enough time. Also did we mention how violent Americans are? That part isn't made up.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

M_Gargantua posted:

Revived Americans and our guns took up enough time. Also did we mention how violent Americans are? That part isn't made up.

Highly believable part of the story to be honest.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It also gave us alligator burgers, so it's fine.

It does feel like the current storyline is being rushed, but I'm fine with it. Better than drawing it out with forced conflict.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Tamba posted:

At most it forces the hand of the actual rocket designers. "Well, we have a return vehicle, we may as well include it in the mission plan."

I also agree that things have sped up massively in terms of getting things done, and I also find it frustrating. Its to the point where I don't actually know where everybody is and what they are doing in detail anymore. The main cast is literally zooming around the world in a rocket powered vehicle and I can't keep track of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think the thing that is getting me is that reviving people used to be a massive, centrally important part of everything. The science stuff is cool and rad, but the people dynamics were equally important. That aspect of things has basically fallen entirely out of the story - they're founding cities and presumably reviving tons of people offscreen that we never meet or interact with or see how the crew befriended them and convinced them to agree to supply labor/materials for a stone age rocket building project centered in Japan despite everyone now living in caveman world.