Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kalman posted:

I think it was an appropriate case, to be clear - I’m on the dissenter’s side here. But it’s important to distinguish between a merits decision - the law is fine - and a procedure decision - the law may or may not be fine but we’re not making that decision because there’s a flaw in how the case got to us. If they’d ruled it constitutional, it’d be much harder to get it struck down in the future.

The court will probably wait for it to be actually enforced against someone before being willing to take it up on an emergency basis.

You have either:

1) Been convinced by the Roberts court that it is not a political machine, despite all the available evidence

or

2) Are pretending to have been convinced, because you feel that it agrees with your politics, and the act of pretending helps spread the virus of the idea of an a-political Roberts court

The idea that SCOTUS is helpless to grant relief in the face of this law is pure conservative fart-huffing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Reminder:

https://twitter.com/GBBranstetter/status/1439340799091691524

They do not loving care that they're being nakedly partisan.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kalman posted:

I think it was an appropriate case, to be clear - I’m on the dissenter’s side here. But it’s important to distinguish between a merits decision - the law is fine - and a procedure decision - the law may or may not be fine but we’re not making that decision because there’s a flaw in how the case got to us. If they’d ruled it constitutional, it’d be much harder to get it struck down in the future.

The court will probably wait for it to be actually enforced against someone before being willing to take it up on an emergency basis.

Eh, in this case, it is very clear that motivated reasoning drove the decision, so the distinction between process and merits wasn't relevant and isn't material. More importantly we shouldn't pretend that it was; we should call out the decision as motivated solely by partisan bias at every opportunity.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I think there's a point for any institution where they can transition from "flawed but worth parsing or fixing" to "too broken and false to accept or divine". And to my mind the Supreme Court under Roberts has passed that point. I'm not interested in looking into the tea leaves to try and sort out whether their latest verdict is slightly more driven by conservative jurisprudence than Republican politics. The group is illegitimately constituted, the opinions are reckless and unreasonable, the members are corrupt and false, and the institution is broken and unnecessary. Much like listening to Fox pundits or wading through the swamps of conservative Twitter, the Robert's Court opinions don't offer any actual insight beyond the latest display of right-wing power.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Right; we might as well just start over at this point

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eh, in this case, it is very clear that motivated reasoning drove the decision, so the distinction between process and merits wasn't relevant and isn't material. More importantly we shouldn't pretend that it was; we should call out the decision as motivated solely by partisan bias at every opportunity.

The distinction is very material because it’s the difference between a lower court being bound to rule the law is constitutional once a procedural proper case exists and the lower court being free to rule otherwise.

I think they absolutely had the power to take it and it was nakedly political to pretend procedure barred it; at the same time, it is flatly incorrect to state that the court has ruled the Texas law is constitutional.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right; we might as well just start over at this point

That's exactly right. I kinda doubt it will work, but another continental congress is the right move.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kalman posted:

The distinction is very material because it’s the difference between a lower court being bound to rule the law is constitutional once a procedural proper case exists and the lower court being free to rule otherwise.

I think they absolutely had the power to take it and it was nakedly political to pretend procedure barred it; at the same time, it is flatly incorrect to state that the court has ruled the Texas law is constitutional.

You never answered my question. What is a "proper procedure case" that would actually address the fundamental violations of constitutional rights resulting directly from these laws going into effect?

You did and I missed it, sorry!

E: I still don't see how there can possibly be a more appropriate case that will sway SCOTUS into action, given the law's construction.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 19, 2021

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kalman posted:

I found the important part.

I can only hope that there are a bunch of federal judges out there who aren't afraid to give the shadow docket the middle finger, and start throwing around some injunctions so that women suffer less harm while a "procedural proper case" is found.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Stickman posted:

E: I still don't see how there can possibly be a more appropriate case that will sway SCOTUS into action, given the law's construction.

Well, at a minimum, a case brought by someone against whom the law has actually been enforced would be an easy example. (Or a case where the unconstitutionality is a defense to a claim under SB8.)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kalman posted:

Well, at a minimum, a case brought by someone against whom the law has actually been enforced would be an easy example. (Or a case where the unconstitutionality is a defense to a claim under SB8.)

The law as written flies in the face of the US legal system and the idea the SCOTUS need to wait for it to be enforced on someone to strike it down immediately is laughable. If New York passed a similar law that allowed citizens to sue gun owners for unsafe firearm usage the SCOTUS would strike it down (and it's likely be a 9-0 decision) before the governor finished signing it into law.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kalman posted:

The thing is that if you wait until the law has actually been enforced, then you've allowed Texas to shut down all abortion access in the state because of the chilling effect of the law, and SCOTUS know this. That's the whole point. The constitutional calvinball aspect of the law would absolutely have been used to stop it before it went into effect if it was something that SCOTUS wanted to stop, because there are very obvious ramifications of allowing this law to go into effect, and the 5-4 majority that decided not to stop it like those ramifications so they let it go ahead even while knowing that they would almost certainly declare it unconstitutional in a year or two. This has already happened. Women are already being denied abortions in Texas because of the chilling effect of this law existing even though no one has been sued under it yet, so saying you have to wait until someone has been sued under this law is a bad argument because clearly the law has effects on abortion access in Texas even if nobody ever actually files a lawsuit.

SCOTUS has a very easy argument against this law, which is that it unilaterally rewrites the way laws work in the United States in a way that should not be legal. It undermines the rule of law and the constitution if a state can arbitrarily declare that constitutional rights don't count as long as it isn't the state violating them. Under that principle you could do literally anything that has been declared unconstitutional. You could ban interracial marriage, overturning Loving, by saying that you can sue people who are in interracial marriages for a billion dollars. You could ban gun ownership, as has been mentioned repeatedly in this thread. You could overturn freedom of religion by saying anyone can sue the owner or operator of a mosque or synagogue. This is a facially unconstitutional way to write a law and whether or not it's enforced is irrelevant because the very fact that the law exists means it is stopping abortion access in Texas. SCOTUS knows this and they chose not to act because they want to stop abortion access in Texas.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

If our media wasn't completely worthless maybe someone would've asked Thomas for some examples of when he ruled in contradiction with his person preference and watch him come up empty (and then he'd complain and the GOP would blackball that outlet while demanding the reporter be fired).

I don't think that he's done this on the issue of abortion, but doesn't Thomas believe in an insane legal philosophy that has caused him to rule against his personal beliefs a few times?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Charlz Guybon posted:

I don't think that he's done this on the issue of abortion, but doesn't Thomas believe in an insane legal philosophy that has caused him to rule against his personal beliefs a few times?

No, the opposite. He throws his originalism out the window when it arrives at a non-conservative result.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

vyelkin posted:

The thing is that if you wait until the law has actually been enforced, then you've allowed Texas to shut down all abortion access in the state because of the chilling effect of the law, and SCOTUS know this. That's the whole point. The constitutional calvinball aspect of the law would absolutely have been used to stop it before it went into effect if it was something that SCOTUS wanted to stop, because there are very obvious ramifications of allowing this law to go into effect, and the 5-4 majority that decided not to stop it like those ramifications so they let it go ahead even while knowing that they would almost certainly declare it unconstitutional in a year or two. This has already happened. Women are already being denied abortions in Texas because of the chilling effect of this law existing even though no one has been sued under it yet, so saying you have to wait until someone has been sued under this law is a bad argument because clearly the law has effects on abortion access in Texas even if nobody ever actually files a lawsuit.

SCOTUS has a very easy argument against this law, which is that it unilaterally rewrites the way laws work in the United States in a way that should not be legal. It undermines the rule of law and the constitution if a state can arbitrarily declare that constitutional rights don't count as long as it isn't the state violating them. Under that principle you could do literally anything that has been declared unconstitutional. You could ban interracial marriage, overturning Loving, by saying that you can sue people who are in interracial marriages for a billion dollars. You could ban gun ownership, as has been mentioned repeatedly in this thread. You could overturn freedom of religion by saying anyone can sue the owner or operator of a mosque or synagogue. This is a facially unconstitutional way to write a law and whether or not it's enforced is irrelevant because the very fact that the law exists means it is stopping abortion access in Texas. SCOTUS knows this and they chose not to act because they want to stop abortion access in Texas.

How much confidence do you have that the supreme court will declare this law unconstitutional? Because it seems to me that they let it go because they’re planning to overturn Roe v Wade during the next session.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How much confidence do you have that the supreme court will declare this law unconstitutional? Because it seems to me that they let it go because they’re planning to overturn Roe v Wade during the next session.

Nothing the Court does surprises me anymore, but I do expect the Texas law to eventually be declared unconstitutional even if they overturn Roe, because it would give too much power to blue states if they decide to use the Texas strategy for other ends - i.e., letting this law stand gives any state the power to overturn constitutional rights, even the ones Republicans like. The Republicans on the bench don't need to empower states to overturn federal laws and rights when the Court already has absolute power over federal laws and rights. If they overturn Roe then Texas no longer needs vigilante lawsuits, it can just have the police arrest people.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Even if they do decide the Texas law is unconstitutional, it'll probably be a 5-4 decision that basically says "Sorry, this specific approach is unconstitutional, so come back with a different approach and we'll be cool with that", and then they'll use the Mississippi case to gut Roe, which gives Texas a guideline for passing a "SCOTUS-proof" abortion ban.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vyelkin posted:

Nothing the Court does surprises me anymore, but I do expect the Texas law to eventually be declared unconstitutional even if they overturn Roe, because it would give too much power to blue states if they decide to use the Texas strategy for other ends - i.e., letting this law stand gives any state the power to overturn constitutional rights, even the ones Republicans like. The Republicans on the bench don't need to empower states to overturn federal laws and rights when the Court already has absolute power over federal laws and rights. If they overturn Roe then Texas no longer needs vigilante lawsuits, it can just have the police arrest people.

It’s not overturning an express constitutional right like with guns, so if the court overturns Griswold and it’s ilk, then TX scheme doesn’t go after a constitutionally protected right. That’s the difference.

Also, on a slightly related note, Loving v. Virginia isn’t exactly analogous to roe et al because the anti-miscegeny laws as those laws were tossed because they violated both equal protection and due process.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kalman posted:

What about the US federal case?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

No, his insane legal philosophy is a fig leaf for ruling on his personal beliefs 100% of the time

Sometimes his personal beliefs conflict with mainstream conservative beliefs, most notably on whether the federal government can arrest people for growing and smoking their own marijuana, you may be thinking of that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wonder if overturning Roe would be nakedly political enough to make court packing politically viable.

I feel like it would be for a party more savvy than the Democrats, anyway.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

We’ll be lucky to get out of this without fetal personhood.

Minimum prediction under this SCOTUS:
0. Best case: a federal right to abortion is gone. Worst case: fetal personhood
1. Every right not explicitly enumerated in the constitution will be left up to states
2. Because Religion is enumerated explicitly, it will trump any ‘weaker’ considerations at federal and state level.
3. Chevron deference will go away, effectively curtailing the power of the federal government, and forcing Congress to legislate if they want anything done. Which ain’t gonna happen

Get used to it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

moths posted:

I wonder if overturning Roe would be nakedly political enough to make court packing politically viable.

Overturning Roe would be a huge gift to the DSCC because they could fundraise off it like crazy.

They wouldn't kill that golden goose by packing the court. It's not like overturning Roe even affects them, just poor women who live in states that didn't vote for senate Democrats anyway so they have no reason to care

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Yes, this is what will happen. They will very likely rule this is unconstitutional because the enforcement mechanism is so loving insane, but next year they're going to say that states can ban abortion whenever so this law won't be needed by then.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
This discussion is fitting since a year ago yesterday a selfish rear end in a top hat died and put us in this position.

RIP in piss RBG.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Thomas (and Alito) has outright called for stuff like abortion and SSM to be struck down via legal challenges. He might be the most nakedly political person on the bench since Roberts pretends to be impartial and Alito couches his in just being a colossal rear end in a top hat.

vyelkin posted:

If the abortion law is allowed to stand then I absolutely want to see blue states pass similar laws with regards to guns and people/companies imposing their religious beliefs on others.

What's more likely is they use the upcoming 15 week ban challenge to overturn Roe and then maybe strike down SB8 as moot but it's also entirely possible they'd let it stand since it'd be "used to report and punish murder via civil penalties too" or some equally insane logic.

moths posted:

Court packing will never be politically viable for the Dems because of :decorum: but it will absolutely happen under a unified GOP government the instant they ever find themselves not in control of the judiciary (unlikely to happen for the next several decades) or because they don't like some non-conservative circuits continued existence.

Keep in mind that Manchin and multiple other elected Dems are firmly anti-choice and support striking down abortion rights (even if they won't say so publicly). That rear end in a top hat won't even support abolishing the filibuster to pass desperately needed voting rights legislation so there's no loving chance he or the others will vote to expand the courts because of a fight over abortion rights.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The truth is that America is a deeply conservative country that cannot be dragged into the 20th century by the force of law.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

morothar posted:

We’ll be lucky to get out of this without fetal personhood.

Minimum prediction under this SCOTUS:
0. Best case: a federal right to abortion is gone. Worst case: fetal personhood
1. Every right not explicitly enumerated in the constitution will be left up to states
2. Because Religion is enumerated explicitly, it will trump any ‘weaker’ considerations at federal and state level.
3. Chevron deference will go away, effectively curtailing the power of the federal government, and forcing Congress to legislate if they want anything done. Which ain’t gonna happen

Get used to it.

Am I doomposting if I mention that my recurring nightmare is that the only things that happens post-outlawing of abortion are some very large peaceful protests in major cities, where maybe Kamala Harris or Pete gives a speech with the concluding remark that “we must keep fighting! Vote in the midterms!” and maybe some tshirts and tote bags are made with that quote on them and then everyone shrugs and accepts it? And then because the wedge isn’t novel any more, people shrug and accept the loss of more rights as a further consequence?

I just don’t think Americans have it in them to actually demand something and get it, because they ultimately only give a poo poo about themselves and 60% of them will know they live in a state with legal abortion and antidiscrimination laws.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

VitalSigns posted:

Overturning Roe would be a huge gift to the DSCC because they could fundraise off it like crazy.

It would take some hard spin to sell it though.

No step along this path could have been prevented by having more money; it's been a steady flow of either incompetence or indifference that's gotten us this far.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

moths posted:

No step along this path could have been prevented by having more money; it's been a steady flow of either incompetence or indifference that's gotten us this far.

A while ago they seem to have figured out that when democrats are frightened and demoralized, they donate to election campaigns whether it’s rational or not. The dnc raked in a ton when Ginsberg died, I’m pretty sure. Also that doomed challenger against McConnell and Jon Osoff (lol) in 2017.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I just don’t think Americans have it in them to actually demand something and get it, because they ultimately only give a poo poo about themselves and 60% of them will know they live in a state with legal abortion and antidiscrimination laws.

They only give a poo poo about themselves and people close to them but most people probably know a lot more women who have gotten abortions than they are currently aware of

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

haveblue posted:

They only give a poo poo about themselves and people close to them but most people probably know a lot more women who have gotten abortions than they are currently aware of

I’m worried the best we can do is “move to a blue state, then!” as that fits right into American individualism and selfishness. Most of the people a person knows live in the same region that they do.

I don’t know—I’m a man and if the state I’m living in now outlaws abortion, I’m getting the gently caress out of there, and I’m in a profession where good jobs are extremely scarce.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ulmont posted:

What about the US federal case?

Which one?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

moths posted:

That doesn't matter imo. Amy McGrath didn't rake in millions of out of state dollars because everyone rationally calculated that the Kentucky Senate race was the most optimal place for Democrats to blow their wad, or that McGrath, a candidate who had to vastly outspend her primary opponent to drag herself over the finish line, had an unusually high chance of beating McConnell (every one of my friends who reposted her stuff didn't even know that she is a pro-Trump Democrat whose platform was attacking McConnell for blocking Trump's agenda)

It was consumerism and branding: send us your money to stick it to McConnell show that you're on the team. Roe will work the same way

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 19, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The truth is that America is a deeply conservative country that cannot be dragged into the 20th century by the force of law.

*looks at the overwhelming positive polling for UHC, UBI, the NGD and gun control*

Hmm yes, very conservative, definitely not a country where the entrenched ruling parties are simply able to pit people against their own interests through massive propaganda pushes.

I’m worried the best we can do is “move to a blue state, then!” as that fits right into American individualism and selfishness. Most of the people a person knows live in the same region that they do.

Moving to as blue state won't mean much if the SCOTUS rules that abortion is illegal, and they absolutely can do so by declaring a zygote is a person or whatever other insane religious bullshit they want to go with.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Evil Fluffy posted:

*looks at the overwhelming positive polling for UHC, UBI, the NGD and gun control*

Hmm yes, very conservative, definitely not a country where the entrenched ruling parties are simply able to pit people against their own interests through massive propaganda pushes.
Unequal representation in the federal government is more important here than propaganda. Effective propaganda would move those polls; instead what we're seeing is a genuine minority of voters controlling the government due to The Great Compromise.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I absolutely believe that the demographics who don't immediately hang up on or walk away from pollsters asking about guns support gun control.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

No, his insane legal philosophy is a fig leaf for ruling on his personal beliefs 100% of the time

Sometimes his personal beliefs conflict with mainstream conservative beliefs, most notably on whether the federal government can arrest people for growing and smoking their own marijuana, you may be thinking of that.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Moving to as blue state won't mean much if the SCOTUS rules that abortion is illegal, and they absolutely can do so by declaring a zygote is a person or whatever other insane religious bullshit they want to go with.

Is there a realistic chance of that happening?

My understanding of the Mississippi case was that the two most likely outcomes were either a 6-3 "States can implement whatever absurd restrictions they want on abortion, as long as they don't outright ban it" ruling, so Roberts can say he technically upheld Roe, or a 5-4, "Roe is overturned, it goes back to the states".

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

azflyboy posted:

Is there a realistic chance of that happening?

My understanding of the Mississippi case was that the two most likely outcomes were either a 6-3 "States can implement whatever absurd restrictions they want on abortion, as long as they don't outright ban it" ruling, so Roberts can say he technically upheld Roe, or a 5-4, "Roe is overturned, it goes back to the states".

It completely comes down to how far out Kavanaugh and Gorsuch want to walk. In a 6-3 court Roberts can't stop or counteract them following Thomas and Barrett if they both want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Until we get rid of the senate and first past the post the show will go on, you can't do anything as the system is designed to work exactly as it is.