Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008
The music that plays in the alternate path isn't part of the soundtrack that you can buy, so I went looking for it. (All music can be found in the mus folder in the game's install location):

The alternate version of the city theme is called "cybercity_alt".
"spamton_neo_meeting" is the song that replaces the mansion's theme.
The song that plays right before the point of no return against Berdly is great even if it's just 6 seconds (the file is simply called "d".)
The song in the text only portion in the hospital is called "flashback_excerpt" (and also really reminds me of the some of the music from DDLC).
I probably missed a couple others.

Also in the mus folder is:

honksong (the song that places when a lot of cars have gathered).
noelle (what might be an early version of noelle's theme).

If you are interested in the music and want to support Toby Fox and the rest, be sure to buy the soundtrack. (the Deltarune site has a link to where you can get it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The reason why Toby said there's only going to be one ending is if you follow the Evil route Chapter 3 begins with an unavoidable gameover when Kris decides that after sleeping on it the whole thing with Noelle was way messed up and decides to toss away the Soul permanently. And the only way to continue is to restart and not be a bad friend.

Deltarune technically only having "one ending" at the actual last chapter while having a bunch of bad/weird/evil endings at various chapter breaks depending on your actions sounds frighteningly on-brand for Toby.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He's been in contact with Yoko Taro, he could do the thing where you can keep extending the game and making the world worse and worse as you do so

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The idea of a Yoko Taro Toby Fox teamup is terrifying on an existential level.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Deltarune technically only having "one ending" at the actual last chapter while having a bunch of bad/weird/evil endings at various chapter breaks depending on your actions sounds frighteningly on-brand for Toby.

I mean, it's exactly how Undertale's ending works outside of full murder or full mercy routes: it changes based on who and what you killed, but it's still mostly the same ending and the same plot happens throughout

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cavia awakens from its restless slumber, having found more children to torture

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the game will have one ending because it is the ending you get. you can go back and get a different ending, but you can only ever have one

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Note how it's your name on the save files, the Rudinn suggests naming the castle town <name>TOWN, and the save location is listed as "My" Castle Town. The player has always been the master of these worlds, and it all comes down to if you want to let yourself become immersed in them or cynically play around with the lives of their inhabitants. Considering the choice of words used at certain points, I can only imagine the Red SOUL is meant to reflect "Freedom" and all the far-reaching implications of what that could mean :unsmigghh:

Well, a couple points to keep in mind:

1. The red SOUL was Frisk's SOUL in Undertale, with the player taking control of both until the True Pacifist ending. It is absolutely not foreign to Kris' body, nor (to comment on another poster's thoughts) is it something they could easily part with long-term (just look at how they move when it's not inside them; that's not a state of existence that can be maintained for very long).

2. [Player's name] is not just the name of the player, but also whatever the fallen child became after their death (to quote a repeated Genocide route, "the demon that comes when people call its name"). So the name of the castle town should be seen as very ominous as it can be interpreted as being called "Genocidedemonburg".

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
something that occured to me as a potential option which would be pretty messed up would be the apocalypse ralsei's been talking about happens at the end of chapter 5 and unless you've been hardening everyone else by doing genocide poo poo you won't be strong enough to continue past that point. so a "normal" playthrough would hit that point then use the chapter select to go back to 2 (presumably with knowledge of what needed to be done having been given at that time), at which point I'm certain the flowey-style "oh boy you're using determination to play with free will!" stuff happens, but with the added kick of "is survival worth breaking all these people?". this is mostly keyed off of toby saying he'd release 3/4/5 and then the chapter select screen going up to 7 - why separate those chapters?

that feels like more of a yoko taro thing than a toby fox thing but who knows

President Ark fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 19, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Cavia awakens from its restless slumber, having found more children to torture

Deltarune was secretly Drakengard 4 all along

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
he may be dead but he can still be saved

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Finished the route. Well that was pretty twisted, but it provided some neat insight on some things. Such as taking Noelle's normal character arc to the logical extreme, which is a more interesting and visceral take on the Undertale Bad Time route.

Also provides some more insight into Ralsei and Kris. Ralsei absolutely knows about us and is colluding with Kris on something. Probably Dark World stuff. Kris wasn't the corrupting influence on Noelle, it's us. Noelle makes that pretty clear when you talk with her in the real world. Also would kind of explain why Kris treats the Soul rather harshly. In case something like this happens. Even on Normal Violence or Pacifist playthroughs, that kind of power isn't something someone can be trusted with in case a player decides to initiate bad times. They just wanted to GM a campaign and we just utterly derailed it into something truly monstrous.

Interestingly enough, Kris doesn't act on their own at all in the extreme Noelle route, which is an inversion of what happens in Undertale's bad time route, where control is constantly taken away from us. The Soul is a lot more parasitic than symbiotic in this instance it seems, like in Undertale Bad Times.

It's definitely more interesting as a whole compared to Undertale's bad times route, where it's basically "hellgrind in areas for ages, then move on" with a few interesting high points at the end and with the 2 superbosses.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

saw someone mention the line stickers

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Beat chapter 2.

So is this set after Undertale? Is Kris a grown up Chara and the heart is the one stolen from Frisk?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Beat chapter 2.

So is this set after Undertale? Is Kris a grown up Chara and the heart is the one stolen from Frisk?

no

e: to be less flippant, toby confirmed this is like a "gaiden" type game - same characters, completely different universe/setting. hence why undyne still has both eyes and she and alphys don't know each other, asriel's still alive, etc.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 19, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Monsters turn to dust when they die in Undertale and it's likely that's the same in Deltarune despite being a different timeline/reality, so it's possible he's just in a 'fallen down' state then. Or the freeze had some other effect like putting him in a coma.

If you talk to the person at the Gerson's grave in the epilogue, they mention that a hammer is buried in it instead of a body, and all the other graves mention an item, which means that they still turn to dust on death.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hey, I'm doing a second playthrough of the chapter to grab all the secrets I missed and I found incontrovertible evidence that Kris is and has been evil all along.

If you check Toriel's computer in the kindergarten classroom before going to the librarby, you learn the most damning fact imaginable. Something so sick, twisted, and cruel that only the most hardened sociopath could ever be capable of it, one whose SOUL is abused and neglected, and whose LOVE is utterly without limits.

Kris made Asriel use the MadCatz controller. :gonk:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

President Ark posted:

something that occured to me as a potential option which would be pretty messed up would be the apocalypse ralsei's been talking about happens at the end of chapter 5 and unless you've been hardening everyone else by doing genocide poo poo you won't be strong enough to continue past that point. so a "normal" playthrough would hit that point then use the chapter select to go back to 2 (presumably with knowledge of what needed to be done having been given at that time), at which point I'm certain the flowey-style "oh boy you're using determination to play with free will!" stuff happens, but with the added kick of "is survival worth breaking all these people?". this is mostly keyed off of toby saying he'd release 3/4/5 and then the chapter select screen going up to 7 - why separate those chapters?

that feels like more of a yoko taro thing than a toby fox thing but who knows

This actually makes a lot of sense considering how nothing like this was in CH1 cause Susie, the party member of the day, is already tough enough on her own. I am on board with this line of thinking :hmmyes:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

BisbyWorl posted:

If you talk to the person at the Gerson's grave in the epilogue, they mention that a hammer is buried in it instead of a body, and all the other graves mention an item, which means that they still turn to dust on death.

I think Berdley's frozen in real life because he's frozen in the Dark World. Now, whether his body dusts after being in shutdown for too long or not, that's another story entirely.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, I'm doing a second playthrough of the chapter to grab all the secrets I missed and I found incontrovertible evidence that Kris is and has been evil all along.

If you check Toriel's computer in the kindergarten classroom before going to the librarby, you learn the most damning fact imaginable. Something so sick, twisted, and cruel that only the most hardened sociopath could ever be capable of it, one whose SOUL is abused and neglected, and whose LOVE is utterly without limits.

Kris made Asriel use the MadCatz controller. :gonk:

there is absolutely zero chance that this was kris' decision. asriel nailed himself to that madcatz cross

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

lets hang out posted:

saw someone mention the line stickers

Ha, this rules.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NewMars posted:

The idea of a Yoko Taro Toby Fox teamup is terrifying on an existential level.

Yoko allegedly was involved in hooking up toby with 8-4 to get a japanese translation of UT done.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

Plot twist: monsters leave behind corpses in Deltarune and they buried Gerson's hammer instead of his body because whatever he died of didn't leave behind enough of him to bury :v:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I'm just now finding out that this chapter has a Genocide route and holy poo poo. I don't know if I want to go back and play it myself or just watch it on Youtube.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Plot twist: monsters leave behind corpses in Deltarune and they buried Gerson's hammer instead of his body because whatever he died of didn't leave behind enough of him to bury :v:

He was trying to help Asgore install a new VCR, Asgore's hand slipped and poor Gerson got crushed under the TV.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'm just now finding out that this chapter has a Genocide route and holy poo poo. I don't know if I want to go back and play it myself or just watch it on Youtube.

the rest of us learned this like a couple of hours ago, it is........ fresh

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tunicate posted:

He was trying to help Asgore install a new VCR, Asgore's hand slipped and poor Gerson got crushed under the TV.

He died of getting caught in a real-life version of the V-K test, the person involved was Asgore, who was revealed to be a robot that runs on murder and incompetence.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this particular genocide route also seems to have been engineered so that it's impossible to reach by accident, like some schlemiels said they'd done for undertale. the sequence needed to get it rolling is really precise and easily broken, and most of the "regular" story events are basically the Cliff's Notes version of what you'd get in the normal route

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Asgore is Mettaton?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Oxxidation posted:

this particular genocide route also seems to have been engineered so that it's impossible to reach by accident, like some schlemiels said they'd done for undertale. the sequence needed to get it rolling is really precise and easily broken, and most of the "regular" story events are basically the Cliff's Notes version of what you'd get in the normal route

Yeah, I accidentally did the first step, which was Noelle telling me I was going the wrong way (which probably a lot of people ran into), but that's cause I just wanted to see her in battle and there was an enemy on the previous screen that was nearby. I went back on the normal path after seeing the battle in action on my initial playthrough. You have to do a lot of precise actions to pull it off.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Shouldn't we keep this in spoilers for at least a bit longer? Especially pretty big revelations?

I doubt anyone'll be finding this on their own, though. Like, its so specific compared to Undertale's. Just fighting everyone you meet isn't enough. Even if you ice everyone with Noelle, that isn't enough, either. And the dialogue triggers are surprisingly well hidden. By the time you get to the intuitive ones (the Proceeds), you need to have taken both Noelle-fixated dialogue options and escalated the first of them to an unhealthy, forceful degree. You really need to commit to this route to do it!

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

I had gotten a couple of the pieces of it during my peaceful playthrough going back after getting Noelle and having her be like "why are we going back" twice, her feeling nostalgic at Spamton's locked door, and noticing that new enemies appeared after leaving the locked door's area. I bet if someone was doing a kill playthrough they'd get a couple more of the pieces by just having Noelle kill enemies with her ice and noticing the "Noelle got stronger" message.

Putting all the pieces together on your own would probably require some careful saving and loading, which yeah, no one is going to do on their first playthrough. (Not to mention that you HAVE to be forceful to a character that is portrayed as innocent and kind, which also likely goes against many player's "first playthrough" mental states.)

Salastine fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 19, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Asriel talking to the campus councilor: "So my dad accidentally killed my homeroom teacher by dropping a TV on. Just turned him right into paste. We weren't even allowed to go to his funeral, it was that bad."

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Salastine posted:

I had gotten a couple of the pieces of it during my peaceful playthrough going back after getting Noelle and having her be like "why are we going back" twice, her feeling nostalgic at Spamton's locked door, and noticing that new enemies appeared after leaving the locked door's area. I bet if someone was doing a kill playthrough they'd get a couple more of the pieces by just having Noelle kill enemies with her ice and noticing the "Noelle got stronger" message.

Putting all the pieces together on your own would probably require some careful saving and loading, which yeah, no one is going to do on their first playthrough.

That part seems easy enough to figure out. The ferris wheel, on the other hand, feels like a really easy trigger to miss. If you're cool with having Noelle being a mass murderer but not cool with pressuring her into riding a ferris wheel with you, or prefer playing matchmaker for her and Susie instead, it sounds like you just don't get the route.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lmao jesus christ that makes the description for the closet in the computer room extra ominous in the genocide playthrough

It's big enough to hide a medium-sized person. You gather up everything in the room...

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

lmao jesus christ that makes the description for the closet in the computer room extra ominous in the genocide playthrough

It's big enough to hide a medium-sized person. You gather up everything in the room...

That was creepy to me even before the discovery of the alternate path, like it was going to be a future part of the reveal of the Knight's identity or something.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

So I was comparing the Berdly fights in the two routes and I noticed some differences.
First is his Sprite

Normal Route

Snowgrave Route

Second is that his attacks come out way faster and with more bullets in the Snowgrave route compared to normal

Normal

Snowgrave

I'm sure there are more differences but those were the obvious ones

TLDR: Berdly isn't loving around

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Bee posted:

That part seems easy enough to figure out. The ferris wheel, on the other hand, feels like a really easy trigger to miss. If you're cool with having Noelle being a mass murderer but not cool with pressuring her into riding a ferris wheel with you, or prefer playing matchmaker for her and Susie instead, it sounds like you just don't get the route.

yeah, that part's the killer, because it's before any of the more obvious triggers and breaks the route if you deviate from it at all. this genocide route isn't just about making the numbers go up, it's about deliberately fostering noelle's psychological dependency on kris. in order to get this on your own, you'd have to go into this quirky rpg deliberately angling to not just kill every enemy you see, but to make the emotionally troubled white mage do the deed every time, while also pressuring her to leave all her agency up to you/the protagonist. this is not a train of thought most people naturally arrive at!

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, the Undertale genocide route is what happens when the player has no empathy for the characters, seeing them as walking EXP and GOLD and decides to grind for LV.

In this it requires very specific actions tailored to push Noelle in a very specific way.
I mean, one of the requirements is you basically telling her she's special too you and telling her she's basically going on a date with you.

The main difference between the two is in Undertale the route is impersonal since it needs the player to not care about the characters, where as in Deltarune, it's deeply personal since it's all focused on understanding one character enough to manipulate her.
It's one of the reasons I consider it both more interesting and in a way more cruel than the Undertale route despite you basically destroying everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

it's interesting enough to be worth playing for yourself, imo. but -- as people have said -- the steps to enter it are so exacting that you essentially need a guide