Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well yeah but I didn't feel the need to spoil that as it wasn't relevant to the conversation.

The actual spoiler is that he's doing your mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brandfarlig posted:

The actual spoiler is that he's doing your mom
i

i walked right into that one

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
that's not a spoiler either! everyone who's played undertale knows that!

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

that's not a spoiler either! everyone who's played undertale knows that!

What the gently caress is a undertale

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

What the gently caress is a undertale

It's like an overstory, but reversed.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
PIPIS - ''The Original'' An invasive species of freshwater clam. \f0 /%

huh. note that plenty of other bits refer to them as "pipis_egg" sooo

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

repiv posted:

where do pipis fit in

thinking about thos pipis

What do you think berdly was going to make his nipples from

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

PIPIS - ''The Original'' An invasive species of freshwater clam. \f0 /%

huh. note that plenty of other bits refer to them as "pipis_egg" sooo

There was a Gaster follower added to UT shortly before Deltarune that teased it by saying "You'll meet my daughter 'Suzy' soon"... and that NPC was a clam :tinfoil:

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Your Computer posted:

i

i walked right into that one

So did Toriel.

On the subject of Susie there's no way she has parents in town. Or at least parents she wants anything to do with considering her general attitude. She doesn't even touch the phone when prompted to call her parents. Do we have any idea where she might live? She says that Alphys saucer of milk is magic and comes back every day so she might just be homeless and live in that alley?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Brandfarlig posted:

So did Toriel.

On the subject of Susie there's no way she has parents in town. Or at least parents she wants anything to do with considering her general attitude. She doesn't even touch the phone when prompted to call her parents. Do we have any idea where she might live? She says that Alphys saucer of milk is magic and comes back every day so she might just be homeless and live in that alley?

I think the building to the right of the alley might be Susie's home. On Chapter 1 you get a rude answer if you knock on the door and on Chapter 2 Susie refuses to interact with it. And there's evidence Susie's parent(s) might be abusive, given her obsession with eating things, violent behaviour and the fact the King and Queen might be paralells to Susie and Noelle's parents (King being an abusive piece of poo poo, Queen being overzealously controlling of Noelle). Also Susie reacts with surprise to the milk, if she had been drinking it she'd be more nervous about it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

There was a Gaster follower added to UT shortly before Deltarune that teased it by saying "You'll meet my daughter 'Suzy' soon"... and that NPC was a clam :tinfoil:

The Gaster part is in the Switch version and was added shortly before Chapter 1 came out but in all versions she says that Suzy is her neighbor's daughter and that you should meet her. On a pacifist or neutral run she says that she feels that meeting Suzy might be the reason you're in the Underground and if you kill Undyne she tells you to stay away from her. Notably, Suzy's name is highlighted in yellow text

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Also at the time, people thought that was the Monster Kid’s name, which was one of the few times Toby stepped in to outright refute something, when they were pretty hands off with other stuff. Of course with the release of chapter 1, it’s obvious why.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Brandfarlig posted:

So did Toriel.

Maybe her parents are so desperately poor that they can't even afford a telephone? We know that Susie suffers from malnutrition, her clothes are kinda shabby and it appears that she doesn't have a room of her own so that could be an explanation.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I think the building to the right of the alley might be Susie's home. On Chapter 1 you get a rude answer if you knock on the door and on Chapter 2 Susie refuses to interact with it. And there's evidence Susie's parent(s) might be abusive, given her obsession with eating things, violent behaviour and the fact the King and Queen might be paralells to Susie and Noelle's parents (King being an abusive piece of poo poo, Queen being overzealously controlling of Noelle). Also Susie reacts with surprise to the milk, if she had been drinking it she'd be more nervous about it.

You may well be correct about the King but an over controlling mother doesn't really track for Susie. It'd explain why she avoids them but considering her manner and general state such a mother would've probably inserted herself into the story in the light world by now. I don't remember any surprise, but I could be wrong. From what I remember she says something like "Hey Kris did you know that that saucer is magic?"

Cerebral Bore posted:

Maybe her parents are so desperately poor that they can't even afford a telephone? We know that Susie suffers from malnutrition, her clothes are kinda shabby and it appears that she doesn't have a room of her own so that could be an explanation.

also very possible. If it's true that Kris was just found somewhere abandoned in the town or was homeless for a short while years ago I'm skeptic of Susie being long term homeless. You'd think someone like Toriel would've done something by now.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Fun fact!
When doing the first mouse puzzle, you can choose to just....not do it. Just go past the switch. Noelle will stop you, but as you try to go forward without her again and again, she will become more and more desperate, until she actually outright runs past the puzzle.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Araxxor posted:

Before the route was discovered, someone discovered the Snowgrave spell and thought it was unused. The effects when used on other enemies is uh, something. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrRA64zwJmo

Seeing enemies actually dissolve is kind of unsettling given that even in the Snowgrave route, they just get frozen over.

The fact that enemies have a dissolve animation at all is incredibly curious. I wonder if murder was in the plans earlier, or if it's just leftover from early WIP of this route? Like, if Snowgrave was only planned as part of the Berdley thing, I would have expected to cause weirder behavior anywhere else, or just caused normal defeat behavior, but it seems like something about it is explicitly flagged to cause those dissolve animations, and not freeze animations or anything else.

From a mechanical point of view, I really like the theory that we couldn't do murder before Noelle because enemies run away, and freezing prevents that. But also with all the speculation people have around the fate of December, freezing being the only means to kill enemies seems like it could have some bigger implications/ties. Would almost make sense, like Kris and Susie haven't experienced death or loss, so even with your puppeteering, they still don't have real killing intent, as well, Ralsei is usually there too to counter-balance. Noelle might not have killing intent, but she's familiar enough with death that your manipulations still cause her to inflict it on others or something?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Regallion posted:

Fun fact!
When doing the first mouse puzzle, you can choose to just....not do it. Just go past the switch. Noelle will stop you, but as you try to go forward without her again and again, she will become more and more desperate, until she actually outright runs past the puzzle.

This helps her be stronger

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Ok, I've read (and watched) about that "genocide" route up to killing Berdley, and it does feel better executed. Btw, are there good videos for what happens after that?

Undertale's Bad End was effectively a creepypasta, with its shortcomings. It felt too edgy.
Here, it's a bit more of a subtle horror where you're doing something else besides killing. I mean, killing in games isn't new. I've pissed on people's faces in Postal, and while Flowey's "better than be a wuss who WATCHES it" was a fun thing to see people react to on streams, aside from that and obvious moment, nothing in it stood out.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Is the Snowgrave damage always 1779 or is it random? I thought this was another 1997 reference but it might just be pattern recognition in overdrive

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Oxyclean posted:

The fact that enemies have a dissolve animation at all is incredibly curious. I wonder if murder was in the plans earlier, or if it's just leftover from early WIP of this route? Like, if Snowgrave was only planned as part of the Berdley thing, I would have expected to cause weirder behavior anywhere else, or just caused normal defeat behavior, but it seems like something about it is explicitly flagged to cause those dissolve animations, and not freeze animations or anything else.

From a mechanical point of view, I really like the theory that we couldn't do murder before Noelle because enemies run away, and freezing prevents that. But also with all the speculation people have around the fate of December, freezing being the only means to kill enemies seems like it could have some bigger implications/ties. Would almost make sense, like Kris and Susie haven't experienced death or loss, so even with your puppeteering, they still don't have real killing intent, as well, Ralsei is usually there too to counter-balance. Noelle might not have killing intent, but she's familiar enough with death that your manipulations still cause her to inflict it on others or something?

this may just be creepypasta 101 but Noelle could've had something to do with whatever happened to Dess. Whatever happened would've been a complete accident and isn't her fault but her involvement in accidental death could allow her to inflict it on others. Much like a kid doing something that's supposed to be a (mostly) harmless prank but it turns into something much worse.

Either way, Snowgrave sounds metal as gently caress.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Vookatos posted:

Ok, I've read (and watched) about that "genocide" route up to killing Berdley, and it does feel better executed. Btw, are there good videos for what happens after that?

(link contains big ol' spoilers)this one contains everything that changes from there, afaik

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

The funniest thing is that Ralsei could have talked the queen down trivially, but on pacifist he just...doesn't.

Also, there is an ongoing trend of secret bosses having actual voice lines, wonder what's up with that.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 19, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok i swear I'm not going to keep harping on this but please

It's not pacifist and it's not genocide

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Man I love all this theorycrafting and speculation about what's going on with Noelle, Suzy, all the characters. Love the speculation about what's going on with Ralsei, I love how loving upsetting the bad route of the game is, love all the stuff with the secret bosses and what they could imply, there's so much being talked about right now with what's going on and what it could all mean. I have loved reading the past like 5 pages of this thread. I woke up this morning and there were like 200 new posts and I was like oh HELL yeah.

Toby Fox is a master at this stuff. He's clearly got every piece of lore and character backgrounds carefully set up. And I think he nails the very creepypasta tone with the bad route, even more so than Undertale's genocide route. The Snowgrave attack on Berdly part especially feels really hosed up and I think that's great. How Toby is able to get the tone so right on both is beyond me.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Amppelix posted:

Ok i swear I'm not going to keep harping on this but please

It's not pacifist and it's not genocide

You're right. The route where you avoid violence and act friendly to get the best result shouldn't be called pacifist.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hoping to beat chapter 2 today. I'm just after the berdley boss fight with noelle, about how much longer do i have?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The proper name of the alternate route is obviously 'Snow Mercy'

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hoping to beat chapter 2 today. I'm just after the berdley boss fight with noelle, about how much longer do i have?

maybe about half, less if you want to be a [[BIG SHOT]]

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

maybe about half, less if you want to be a [[BIG SHOT]]

Perfect! Thanks

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:discourse:

https://twitter.com/AlexRochonVA/status/1439357569437421575

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vookatos posted:

UT spoiler
Undertale's Bad End was effectively a creepypasta, with its shortcomings. It felt too edgy.

it was sensible in context, i think. i mean a lot of the metafictional stuff seemed explicitly inspired by that sort of channer "haunted game hack" creepypasta culture.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The acting itself is good, I would've gone with a much more nasally voice for him though

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

mummy

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Regallion posted:

Also, there is an ongoing trend of secret bosses having actual voice lines, wonder what's up with that.

Who has voiced lines in Undertale? Off the top of my head I think it's chiefly if not solely, Flowey, which leads me to believe that it's a symptom of having been made aware, on some level, of being in a video game and being able to interact with the mechanics on a meta level.

also you can upgrade Ralsei's class by picking a pose for the camera in the Acid River of Love. I naturally chose [[rude gesture]] which made him a Rude Prince: Friends with a rude gesturer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wasn’t Flowey’s “voice” literally lifted from some other piece of media (I forget exactly where it came from though)?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

This is great, and the laugh is perfect. I enjoy making [Frozen Chicken] with my [Side Chick]

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Larryb posted:

Wasn’t Flowey’s “voice” literally lifted from some other piece of media (I forget exactly where it came from though)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXoUvwbD0oI

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e: confound it, beaten

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Larryb posted:

yeah, i think toby is doing the voices for deltarune though

jevils lines seem too specific to be sampled, and the japanese versions sound like the same person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah that was it. Was Jevil’s voice recorded for the game or did they do the same thing for him (if not, who voiced him? Same question goes for this game’s secret boss)?

Edit: Nevermind, already answered above apparently