Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

THE BAR posted:

Yeah okay, sounds like a fun time.

Raenir's group is god awful, they've posted like twenty similar stories about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
They've been getting better recently! It kinda feels like it finally stuck that your not supposed to in an absolute way enforce how you're role playing your character onto others and to selectively ignore things that your character would otherwise oppose for the sake of letting people play out the story hooks the DM is giving us; and the DM has been getting better at how those story hooks and their rewards are presented/distributed so there's less intrapersonal conflict in general.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

What other purpose could exist for the button but to ignore users for alignment chat

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It seems like the new comic managed to stop alignment chat for a few hours.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is alignment chat like the kaiju? Eventually there will be two alignment chats!?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

One day you will realize alignment chat is the this thread's true form, and comic chat is the mask. People who think summoning Rich is the end goal don't understand the ultimate overarching purpose of our dark art.

Come for the gag-a-day 3.5e stick figure comic. Stay for the discussion of grid-based morality systems.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

oobey posted:

gag-a-day

If only.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

oobey posted:

One day you will realize alignment chat is the this thread's true form, and comic chat is the mask. People who think summoning Rich is the end goal don't understand the ultimate overarching purpose of our dark art.

Come for the gag-a-day 3.5e stick figure comic. Stay for the discussion of grid-based morality systems.

What would a graph based morality system look like, is it turing complete?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I prefer my morality systems to be sphere based

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

What would a graph based morality system look like, is it turing complete?

GOOD
|
|....... ...../\
|.........../....\
|.. /\__/ ..... \ ....../\_
|./ ................\/\/.. ...\___/\
/________________________\__
EVIL. .....LAWFULNESS......\

TheAceOfLungs fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 19, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TheAceOfLungs posted:

GOOD
|
|....... ...../\
|.........../....\
/_______________________\__

Wrong kind of graph!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I propose instead of Lawful - Neutral - Chaotic we take a page from the ultimate dual-alignment system and from now on we have Democrat - Independent - Republican

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Dias posted:

I propose instead of Lawful - Neutral - Chaotic we take a page from the ultimate dual-alignment system and from now on we have Democrat - Independent - Republican

Make it a political compass

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

shirts and skins posted:

Make it a political compass

Cursed post.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

GlyphGryph posted:

I prefer my morality systems to be sphere based

If you go chaotic enough patterns will start emerging and you become lawful again.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nenonen posted:

If you go chaotic enough patterns will start emerging and you become lawful again.

https://www.nuklearpower.com/2010/03/09/episode-1223-make-the-truth/

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dias posted:

Finally, an alignment system with only one alignment

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

Finally, an alignment system with only one alignment

Transparent evil and pretend good are different!

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

TheAceOfLungs posted:

GOOD
|
|....... ...../\
|.........../....\
/________________________\__

:golfclap: very solid

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The kinds of graphs we all wish dating sites could provide.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ikanreed posted:

The kinds of graphs we all wish dating sites could provide.

You'd only need the bottom row.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

trucutru posted:

Transparent evil and pretend good are different!

gently caress-you-got-mine vs good-intentioned-but-ineffective.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Realistically, you can read the entire OotS archives within a three-day interval. And there's three solid gags.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

That strip is a pretty great example of the difference between someone who was taught a Lawful Good alignment, and someone who came to a Lawful Good alignment through a life's worth of experiences. :3:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

good-intentioned-but-ineffective.

First, pffffff hahahahahaha. Second, if you dorks are going to stick in the mire of RPG alignment chat leave it to RPG alignments and not American political parties because you should read CSPAM to learn about American politics and this is a BSS thread about a D&D webcomic.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

SuperKlaus posted:

you should read CSPAM

Counterpoint: no-one should ever do this

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Correct. You should post in CSPAM, but never read it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

CSPAM is for people who are too awful even for D&D. In this case, it applies to the other meaning of D&D.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I post in both cspam and d&d as they fufill different needs for me. Id rather we did alignment chat then go down the unfunny road of forum wars bullshit

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"you can [x] after reading C-SPAM" is like saying "that'll happen when pigs fly" or "this is as likely as a camel moving through the eye of a needle"

It's a pretty basic idiom for "don't do this," "this" in this case being posting US political compasses in the OotS thread.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

NihilCredo posted:

CSPAM is for people who are too awful even for D&D. In this case, it applies to the other meaning of D&D.

considering it is the most popular forum on the website this says a lot about our society

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What would Gygax say about Goblin Slayer if he had seen it?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cup Runneth Over posted:

considering it is the most popular forum on the website this says a lot about our society

Is It? I thought Games dwarfed everything else

Regalingualius posted:

What would Gygax say about Goblin Slayer if he had seen it?

"Meh, that DM is a bleeding heart. I would have TPK'd the party on like cave #2”.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Overall, CSPAM contains less posters saying that genociding me is cool and good than D&D does. (though it does have more weirdoes who are into us the same way weaboos are into japan) So I actually post there sometimes after mostly stopping posting in D&D.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

In cspam defense no thread in there is half as bad as this one during alignment talk (so 90% of the time)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

NihilCredo posted:

Is It? I thought Games dwarfed everything else

according to Jeffrey it is bigger than Games in terms of active users, apparently by a large margin

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Cup Runneth Over posted:

according to Jeffrey it is bigger than Games in terms of active users, apparently by a large margin

"Goons are terrible" taken to its final form, really.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Talking about CSPAM in the OOTS thread is somehow almost as bad as talking about US politics in the OOTS thread.

Give me an alignment chart that’s
Good - Neutral - Evil / how often the person showers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
obviously it's a gradient with "environmentally irresponsible" at one extreme, "stinky bastard" at the other, and "showers just often enough" in the middle, which is the spot whoever's designing it occupies.