Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Starsfan posted:

The PPC kind of got handed a golden goose this election and they've been making some hay out of the situation.

You can make hay with geese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fidelitious posted:

A masterclass in framing "equal weight to smaller parties" as "unfair weight to smaller parties". It's not fair if the representation is equally weighted!

Just want to clear up that this is conflating different things. Ranked choice is just a type of voting, it is not a system in itself.
I believe what Trudeau wants is IRV, which is technically a form of STV.

I'm pretty sure when you say STV you're referring to the one where it's multi-member ridings right? I'd be good with that system also as it's decently proportional.

I dunno, voting system naming is a mess.

Yeah multimember ridings where excess votes goes to elect additional representatives. If you had a riding that was 80% liberal instead of only getting 1 seat they would get 2 out of 3 and the third goes to who gets second place after all non viable candidates are eliminated. As systems go I like it because it feels like it incentivizes turnout and for parties to go for more than 50%+1 of votes in a given riding.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Does Trudeau stay on if he doesn't get a majority?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I think everyone is expecting Freedland to take the reins if that happens

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

With parents scrambling to find COVID-19 testing appointments for their children in the capital this weekend, Ottawa's COVID-19 Testing Taskforce says more appointments for children will open up at the Brewer Arena as staffing levels increase.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ottawa-parents-scramble-for-covid-19-testing-appointments-1.5590957

Testing rates slowed to a crawl over the summer, testing sites shut down due to lower rates, now parents complain that they can't get test fast enough for their kids with school going on.

Something about this seems like it could have been avoidable I dunno.

Oh but they could just go to Shoppers Drug Mart and pay $40 for the No Name Brand test.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

infernal machines posted:

I could see it being a slow transition if he gets a minority though. If it's a Tory government he'll be out immediately.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Elections Canada should just just decide a new voting system for every election at random so parties can't plan around it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Rockstar Massacre posted:

Elections Canada should just just decide a new voting system for every election at random so parties can't plan around it.

I can't commit to endorsing this plan until I know whether "Kumite" is one of the possible random selections.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Ontario's vaccine passport comes into effect on Tuesday. My Goodlife gym has come up with a way to fast track checking if someone is double vaxxed without holding onto people's medical records. I went in today, showed them my proof of vaccination, photo ID and my membership and then signed an E document confirming my double Vax status. That way they don't have medical records on file but they do have signed proof every time I scan my barcode at the door.

It's gonna be super annoying flashing my drivers license and PDF proof everywhere until Ford figures out how a QR code works.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Rockstar Massacre posted:

Even better, don't announce it until after people have voted. One weird trick to eliminate strategic voting.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Arc Hammer posted:

So Ontario's vaccine passport comes into effect on Tuesday. My Goodlife gym has come up with a way to fast track checking if someone is double vaxxed without holding onto people's medical records. I went in today, showed them my proof of vaccination, photo ID and my membership and then signed an E document confirming my double Vax status. That way they don't have medical records on file but they do have signed proof every time I scan my barcode at the door.

It's gonna be super annoying flashing my drivers license and PDF proof everywhere until Ford figures out how a QR code works.

I'll be shocked if they're actually able to produce the apps on the timeline they laid out, and frankly I wouldn't think it's the government's fault for going slow - 6 weeks is INSANE to get a government specced tech project done that's any more complicated than a single web page.

In any case, apparently the PDFs are still valid after the QR code launches, so it's all pointless anyway, anyone can trivially forge what they need for a vaccine passport.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Even better, don't announce it until after people have voted. One weird trick to eliminate strategic voting.

At this point of absurdity just do sortition

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Oh I get it now, the Conservative premieres are just acolytes to Nurgle. All makes sense now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ARACHTION posted:

Oh I get it now, the Conservative premieres are just acolytes to Nurgle. All makes sense now.

Nurgle is about spreading love. That's beyond Conservative comprehension.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Wonder how many potential PPC voters will be turned away for not wearing a mask

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Given the attitudes toward masking I've seen in BC? Very few.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ARACHTION posted:

Hey. Hey. Hey. No. They're the crusty remnant leftovers of whatever vile poxes Grandfather Nurgle brew up in his vat in his garden of rot. The poo poo that got burnt onto the bottom and sides of the vat that not even Nurgle loves.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Nurgle is about spreading love. That's beyond Conservative comprehension.

Nurgle radlib spotted

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Randalor posted:

Hey. Hey. Hey. No. They're the crusty remnant leftovers of whatever vile poxes Grandfather Nurgle brew up in his vat in his garden of rot. The poo poo that got burnt onto the bottom and sides of the vat that not even Nurgle loves.

Honestly never got too into Nurgle lore it was too gross

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

"Retailers cut out of Alberta's vaccine program just days before changes take hold posted:

CALGARY -

The province has changed course on how its proof of vaccination push will impact retailers.

The Restrictions Exemption Program (REP) is set to take hold Monday, and was originally slated to include retail businesses. Those who participated were able to drop restrictions placed on their stores if they asked customers for proof of at least one vaccination dose or a negative COVID-19 test. But Saturday evening, the province changed the REP's fine print.

A government representative tells CTV News retailers will no longer be able to participate in the program. That means capacity will be capped at one third of fire code occupancy and customers will only be allowed to shop with members of their own household or two close contacts if they live alone. As of Saturday, the change only applied to retailers. Restaurants, bars, theatres and fitness centres can all still participate in the REP to nix restrictions placed on their businesses.

Madame Premier in Inglewood was preparing to enter the program on Saturday morning. When told of the news later in the day, owner Sarah Elder-Chamanara told CTV News she still plans to ask for proof of vaccination for those entering her store. It's a route all retailers can still take, but the onus is now on the private business to implement any immunization-related change.

Elder-Chamanara says she believes the original rule already had its flaws for Alberta's small businesses. "I don't have a staff I can depend on and I don't have the ability to rely on someone at the door like a restaurant, so I think it'll actually be more challenging for businesses like mine," she said. "I just want to remain optimistic that people are going to be kind and empathetic."

The province is still finalizing certain details of the plan. A representative promised additional details prior to Monday.

Make up your mind UCP. Not sure if this will be better or worse for "small businesses" if they're capped at lower capacity in order to avoid a passport system.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

infernal machines posted:

I assumed the Liberal executive had him call this election as an excuse to put Freedland in charge.

Judging by all the survey calls I got in the months leading up to the election, the executive knew what the electorate thought of Trudeau.

If he loses, Freedland is put in charge right away. If it’s a minority, he’ll step down shortly afterwards saying something about how the party should have a new leader. If it’s a majority, he’ll step down after about 2 years so there can be a convention and Freedland can be party leader for at least a year before the next election.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

I assumed the Liberal executive had him call this election as an excuse to put Freedland in charge.

Judging by all the survey calls I got in the months leading up to the election, the executive knew what the electorate thought of Trudeau.

If he loses, Freedland is put in charge right away. If it’s a minority, he’ll step down shortly afterwards saying something about how the party should have a new leader. If it’s a majority, he’ll step down after about 2 years so there can be a convention and Freedland can be party leader for at least a year before the next election.

I think pretty much every liberal leader will be thought of similarly to Trudeau going forward. The right wing media machine has become too good at demonizing their opponents.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

I don't think Freeland would be put in charge right away. I know for many parties, interim leaders can't be leadership candidates. I assume this is also true for the Liberals?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If we do end up with a Conservative minority I'd be curious to see how long it would last before facing a confidence vote from vengeful Liberals.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Calumanjaro posted:

I think pretty much every liberal leader will be thought of similarly to Trudeau going forward. The right wing media machine has become too good at demonizing their opponents.

They’ve already done it with Freeland via her Nazi collaborating grandfather.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Arc Hammer posted:

So Ontario's vaccine passport comes into effect on Tuesday.

Manitoba has had the passport with a QR code for a while now and while the vaccination record checker is a free and fast app to download, in my experience most restaurants just ask to see your card with a piece of ID and don't even bother verifying your card. As usual, all of the security and tech in the world can't stop people from being stupid and not actually using the verifier, which means that as many anti-vaxxers have argued, faking a card is easy, which it is when nobody uses the QR.

Most comical thing that has happened: had one person ask if she could see the QR code on the back of my passport. She didn't scan it, she just wanted to look at it, as if she can eyeball it for authenticity.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

Manitoba has had the passport with a QR code for a while now and while the vaccination record checker is a free and fast app to download, in my experience most restaurants just ask to see your card with a piece of ID and don't even bother verifying your card. As usual, all of the security and tech in the world can't stop people from being stupid and not actually using the verifier, which means that as many anti-vaxxers have argued, faking a card is easy, which it is when nobody uses the QR.

Most comical thing that has happened: had one person ask if she could see the QR code on the back of my passport. She didn't scan it, she just wanted to look at it, as if she can eyeball it for authenticity.

T-800s had to get normal jobs now that humanity isn't worth saving.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

If you do the math, the majority of the PPC gains in this election are from 2019 non-voters and a tiny fraction of Green party voters rather than defections from the tories.

This suggests very strongly to me the PPC gains are from single issue anti-vaxxer voters, rather than affinity for more general right-wing ideology

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Evis posted:

It's not really "demonizing" if it's just plainly true

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
LMAO..

The alberta immunization record is an editable PDF.

https://twitter.com/WaterSHEDLab/status/1439602794042773509?s=20

Jesus loving christ this loving stupid loving government needs to all choke on a tube and die.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Typo posted:

If you do the math, the majority of the PPC gains in this election are from 2019 non-voters and a tiny fraction of Green party voters rather than defections from the tories.

This suggests very strongly to me the PPC gains are from single issue anti-vaxxer voters, rather than affinity for more general right-wing ideology

Unless I'm misreading the graph, 3% of conservatives would be larger than 4% of greens. I'm also sceptical al any of those nonvoters will vote this time.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Calumanjaro posted:

Unless I'm misreading the graph, 3% of conservatives would be larger than 4% of greens. I'm also sceptical al any of those nonvoters will vote this time.
yes, I said the 2019 non-voters+defection from greens. Not the green defections by themselves.

if you think the 2019 non-voters aren't gonna vote this time either sure, but we'll see

My personal observation (admitly limited sample size cuz irl+fb) on the PPC support this time is a lot of people who didn't give a poo poo about politics before vaccines and now all of a sudden do is because of vaccines

Typo fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 19, 2021

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Calumanjaro posted:

No, you're reading it right. 3% of con voters is a lot more than 4% of green voters.

As for non voters, that graph doesn't say how many there are. Some (many?) of them weren't eligible to vote last election. Unless you're specifically talking about PPC non-voters.

Typo posted:

yes, I said the 2019 non-voters+defection from greens. Not the green defections by themselves.
2019 nonvoters make up 6% of their sample. green+nonvoters are just a little over 1/3 of the 2019 con voters. 3% of con voters is still more
I can't find the specific source for the graph you posted since it's not dated, but here's the latest:
https://abacusdata.ca/daily-tracking-poll-election-44-sept-17/

Doing the math on this table says about one third of 2019 non voters are PPC voters and they account for about half of PPC voters.

Assuming your graph is accurate and from a time before current PPC support rise then it would mean that PPC had a core support from cons and some greens and some new voters, but their current swelling is coming from non voters.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 19, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Evis posted:

Trying to court the PPC vote while also making Nazi grandpa allegations against Freeland is a tricky needle to thread.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

We condemn the horrific brutality of the German Nazi party; however, there is no evidence to suggest that the individual in question was ever a member of the party, not was he on the attendance sheet at their annual national meeting.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 19, 2021

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I think the LPC want to coronate Mark Carney, not Freeland, but otherwise I agree this smells like a soft coup.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Went to the Rideau Center today. Walked around the food court and there was a lady yelling at the staff of the KFC because the cook in the back wasn't wearing a mask while they were doing meal prep. The front end cashier kept trying to defend the person in the back not wearing a mask because she said they were double vaccinated so they don't have to wear them anymore. This went on for several minutes and I decided to keep moving. Stupid stupid people.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The person in the back isn't where customers are and wouldn't need to wear a mask anyway

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

flakeloaf posted:

The person in the back isn't where customers are and wouldn't need to wear a mask anyway

It was more the Karen at the front who was annoying. She held up the line so I said gently caress it and left. Working back end sucks because it's hot and sweaty enough without a mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
That story is clearly made up, people eating KFC aren't concerned about their health.