Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FPyat posted:

Japan between 1906 and 1941, mostly.

John Toland’s The Rising Sun best fits the bill but it is 50 years old now. Unfortunately there just isn’t a market for history books on interwar Japan like there is for Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Any good Mongol histories? I'd like a firmer grasp over Mongol history that isn't just involving say, Genghis or Kublai

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Any good Mongol histories? I'd like a firmer grasp over Mongol history that isn't just involving say, Genghis or Kublai

The Mongols by David Morgan.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Fighting Trousers posted:

Any recs for a good overview of the English Civil War?

I'll recommend Going to the Wars by Carlton.

It is not a names and dates/maps and arrows milhist book, but it is a very readable account of things like soldiers' and civilians' perspectives, life on campaign, etc.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

This is a person who has never studied history at even the most basic level of taking a first-year undergraduate survey course.

They would probably hate even that too. :qq: CRITICAL THINKING IS JUST ANTI-WESTERN PROPAGANDA :qq:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I only read real objective history written by non biased ivory tower professors like Bill o Riley.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
pleeeease. VDH.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

any recommendations on japan's lost decade? specifically the economic analysis

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Extremely relevant to my interests.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What's a good book or books on Reconstruction?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Reconstruction - America's Unfinished Revolution by Eric Foner

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Foner's book is excellent--there's also an abridged version of the book. There's also The Republic for Which it Stands which is part of the Oxford US History series which covers reconstruction up through the Gilded Age which may also interest you because it tries to tie it to the larger arc of the 19th century in the US. It is a very long book, but a rewarding read.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Thanks!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Brenda Wineapple's Ecstatic Nation and Stephen Budiansky's The Bloody Shirt are both pretty excellent as well.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

More on the gilded age in general than reconstruction, but you might like Age of Acrimony https://www.amazon.com/Age-Acrimony...27s%20politics. , a dual biography of congressman "Pig Iron" Kelley and his daughter Florence Kelley.

For an example of the intersection between "Pig Iron" Kelley's life and reconstruction, here is an account of the aftermath of one of his speeches in Mobile: http://www.bluegrayreview.com/2017/05/18/mobile-targets/

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Minenfeld! posted:

Foner's book is excellent--there's also an abridged version of the book. There's also The Republic for Which it Stands which is part of the Oxford US History series which covers reconstruction up through the Gilded Age which may also interest you because it tries to tie it to the larger arc of the 19th century in the US. It is a very long book, but a rewarding read.

That drat series is going on 40 years without being completed.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

One day I'll maybe be able to read the promised volume on the progressive era.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

pleeeease. VDH.

if you stick to his work on his only achievement (Battle of Leuctra) then he’s not so bad.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

A friend knows a young man from Haiti who wants to join the CIA. Are there any good books that might help dissuade him from this path? History of the CIA in South America or the Caribbean or....?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The back half of Open Veins in Latin America by Eduardo Galeano

Bitter Fruit and Blood of Brothers by Stephen Kinzer

The Devil's Chessboard by David Talbot

Killing Hope by William Blum

Legacy of Ashes by Tim Weiner - this last might be the best to start with even if it's the longest because it's not as hostile to the CIA as an imperialist organ as the other books. The big tragedies of the book for Weiner are that the CIA is poorly managed and that it strayed too far outside its charter, and you mostly get perspectives on the CIA from its upper echelon rather than from its victims. It might be the best way to ease your friend into critical histories of the CIA, in other words.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 16, 2021

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

xcheopis posted:

A friend knows a young man from Haiti who wants to join the CIA. Are there any good books that might help dissuade him from this path? History of the CIA in South America or the Caribbean or....?

In addition to Meatwad's recs, The Jakarta Method by Vincent Bevins, while not specifically about the Americas, is also a great book that goes into detail about CIA involvement in the Indonesian genocide. It does connect that campaign to events in Latin America but the meat of the book is about Indonesia.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Starks posted:

In addition to Meatwad's recs, The Jakarta Method by Vincent Bevins, while not specifically about the Americas, is also a great book that goes into detail about CIA involvement in the Indonesian genocide. It does connect that campaign to events in Latin America but the meat of the book is about Indonesia.

I can second this, it's an excellent book and highly readable.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Thirding Jakarta Method and seconding the Stephen Kinzer books.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Thanks! I've passed these on.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

whats a good book on the yom kippur war

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Finally watched Chernobyl and listening to some podcasts about other soviet stuff got me thinking. Is there a good history of the Soviet Union that isn't just Communism Bad over and over? Also any good books on post Soviet Russia I know the basics on how Putin came to power and how Yeltzin tuned his liver into a sieve but maybe more then that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

LionYeti posted:

Finally watched Chernobyl and listening to some podcasts about other soviet stuff got me thinking. Is there a good history of the Soviet Union that isn't just Communism Bad over and over?

I feel like this is kind of a loaded question because any “objective” account of the Soviet Union has to cover the constant issues from its beginning to its end which its political system and economy faced in trying to hold itself together from both external and internal pressure, which often times resulted in crisis and catastrophe. That isn’t necessarily saying “communism bad” for 70 years of history but it’s not going to be a story of how nice the place was either.

That being said I’d adamantly recommend that you stay the hell away from anything written by Richard Pipes who has an extreme ideological bend against everything Soviet. I personally would recommend The Soviet Experiment by Ronald Grigor Suny. It’s unfortunately more of a textbook though which may not be what you want.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Stairmaster posted:

whats a good book on the yom kippur war

"The Yom Kippur War: The Epic Encounter That Transformed the Middle East", by Abraham Rabinovich, who covered the war for the Jerusalem Post. Also, if you want a more granular focus, "The Yom Kippur War: The Arab-Israeli War of 1973" by Simon Dunstan. Rabinovich's book is probably better. Dunstan's book focuses a lot more on the Israel side, while Rabinovich's doesn't, and Rabinovich also gets deeper into the policy decisions and diplomatic and intelligence failures by the Israeli, Syrian, and Egyptian governments that led to the war.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 19, 2021

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I feel like this is kind of a loaded question because any “objective” account of the Soviet Union has to cover the constant issues from its beginning to its end which its political system and economy faced in trying to hold itself together from both external and internal pressure, which often times resulted in crisis and catastrophe. That isn’t necessarily saying “communism bad” for 70 years of history but it’s not going to be a story of how nice the place was either.

That being said I’d adamantly recommend that you stay the hell away from anything written by Richard Pipes who has an extreme ideological bend against everything Soviet. I personally would recommend The Soviet Experiment by Ronald Grigor Suny. It’s unfortunately more of a textbook though which may not be what you want.

Oh yeah I'm no tankie I just wanted to avoid the Richard Pipes of the world. Thanks

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Suny is the book I usually recommend for this as well. It's a textbook but it's pretty readable and covers everything you'll want to know, and Suny himself is on the left politically so he tends to avoid polemics about how communism was inherently evil while still providing a detailed academic account of what went wrong in the USSR.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

For whatever reason there really isn’t much English language publications of “History of the Soviet Union 1917-1991” outside academia work. You’d think it’d be a juicy topic for mainstream history but it’s all books narrowly focused on well known flashpoint events or individual biographies. My only guess is that it’s just too difficult and broad a subject to try and write a bestseller on, especially because it’s so ideologically charged.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

My only guess is that it’s just too difficult and broad a subject to try and write a bestseller on

It's this. One of the problems of writing modern history is there is so much primary source material to draw on that you drown in it. It's a lot easier to handle if you focus on a specific topic instead of trying to do a broad narrative of something like all of Soviet history.

It's not like ancient history where you can decide "I'm gonna write the history of Thebes" then read literally every single word ever written about Thebes that survives.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Richard J Evans devoted like 1800 pages to cover basically 12 years of German history and even then it’s still not exhaustive.

Now other lesser historians have done it in like 400 pages but they’re pretty crappy unless your only knowledge of the Nazis is History Channel specials.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Speaking of the Soviet Union, I'm wanting to read something about the Soviet space program. Not so much interested in the American side of things (already done some of that reading, plus there is a wealth of options). Looking more for readability and interest rather than anything exhaustive.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LionYeti posted:

Finally watched Chernobyl and listening to some podcasts about other soviet stuff got me thinking. Is there a good history of the Soviet Union that isn't just Communism Bad over and over? Also any good books on post Soviet Russia I know the basics on how Putin came to power and how Yeltzin tuned his liver into a sieve but maybe more then that.

It's not the full Soviet history, but Alexei Yurchak's Everything Was Forever, Until It Was No More: The Last Soviet Generation might be of interest if you're interested in the decline and fall of the USSR and the Soviet and immediate post-Soviet culture of the time.

Conversely, I think Sheila Fitzpatrick has done some good work on early Soviet history. Her focus is generally from 1905 to the late 30s.

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Speaking of the Soviet Union, I'm wanting to read something about the Soviet space program. Not so much interested in the American side of things (already done some of that reading, plus there is a wealth of options). Looking more for readability and interest rather than anything exhaustive.

Asif Siddiqi is probably the leading historian of the Soviet space program. I'd highly recommend both his The Red Rockets' Glare and Sputnik and the Soviet Space Challenge.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
This is really only a look at the Gorbachev years, but I remember enjoying Hedrick Smith's "The New Russians", which looked at the Soviet Union in the late 80s.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

It's not the full Soviet history, but Alexei Yurchak's Everything Was Forever, Until It Was No More: The Last Soviet Generation might be of interest if you're interested in the decline and fall of the USSR and the Soviet and immediate post-Soviet culture of the time.

Conversely, I think Sheila Fitzpatrick has done some good work on early Soviet history. Her focus is generally from 1905 to the late 30s.

Asif Siddiqi is probably the leading historian of the Soviet space program. I'd highly recommend both his The Red Rockets' Glare and Sputnik and the Soviet Space Challenge.

He sounds perfect, thanks a million

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Black Reconstruction by W.E.B. DuBois

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Any history books other than the people’s history going into details about Columbus being a monster? Because extended family goes to a church that just had a service that just white washed the poo poo out of him being a good Christian and I need more ammo for Next visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

LionArcher posted:

Any history books other than the people’s history going into details about Columbus being a monster? Because extended family goes to a church that just had a service that just white washed the poo poo out of him being a good Christian and I need more ammo for Next visit.

Charles Mann's 1493 - though honestly, the scholarly consensus on Columbus has turned hard in the past 25-30 years. You'd be hard pressed to find any academic historians white knighting him these days.