Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Other than Spigen, any other cheaper alternative case recommendations? Spigen offers good quality and protection, and the buttons always feel great, but their designs are a little dull. I also don't want something that tries to make the phone look like a 00's era gaming PC. Ideally I would just go with a clear case, but those usually are slippery and end up very smudgy looking. Silicone ends up covered in pocket lint.

Also, it's been confirmed that a 12 Pro case will not fit a 13 Pro, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Other than Spigen, any other cheaper alternative case recommendations? Spigen offers good quality and protection, and the buttons always feel great, but their designs are a little dull. I also don't want something that tries to make the phone look like a 00's era gaming PC. Ideally I would just go with a clear case, but those usually are slippery and end up very smudgy looking. Silicone ends up covered in pocket lint.

I have a Nomad case on my 12 and it’s been pretty drat great honestly. It’s not quite Spigen cheap but it’s worth the price increase imo

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Great to hear.

How much earlier are the products usually delivered? A few days? A week?

My advice would be to expect it for the dates given and if it does happen to show up early then be pleasantly surprised instead of expecting it to show up early and be disappointed when it doesn’t.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

jabro posted:

My advice would be to expect it for the dates given and if it does happen to show up early then be pleasantly surprised instead of expecting it to show up early and be disappointed when it doesn’t.

Apple generally works on a worst case scenario basis when it comes to shipping- An express replacement may quote 3-5 days but you generally get it overnight. My OG Airpods came like 2 weeks before the date, but my M1 12.9 only beat it by 2 days. I don't think anyone knows what supplies are actually gonna be like until non-launch day orders start showing up.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

The best deal right now is these crazy ones from carriers. You can get like $800 from Verizon and then preorder a 13 Mini essentially for free. If you have Verizon and one of the non-start level Unlimited plans.
Finally moving my parents off the iPhone 6 cause this stuff. Technically I think the store messed up on my dad's and didn't even prompt to upgrade the plan, but the trade in for it was still almost $500. On my mom's it bumped the plan and the trade in was almost $600. For iPhone 6!

Skeezy posted:

The 12 mini rules and honestly the 13 mini looks great if you want to go to that.

Shame it's probably the last one if the rumors are true.
Hope it becomes like the iPad mini, just kind of sticks around and morphs into weird premium niche unnumbered "iPhone mini" somewhere between the SE and newest phones.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

The 13 is thicker and buttons are lower. I have an apple leather case for my 13 pro and compared it to my 12 pro.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Now that the 13s are out I'm in the market for a 12 mini and wanted to get it as cheaply as possible without just buying used on Craigslist or ebay. 12s still haven't hit the Apple refurb shop and my SE 1st gen is hanging on by a thread so no trade-in options availabile. I was hoping that the price drop would hit Costco but nothing yet. Any other ideas?

The thing with Apple products is that the retailers can often send back unsold inventory to Apple which then puts them into their refurb channel. The retailers may discount them a bit to move what they have but it's not like a crazy sale or anything.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

japtor posted:

Hope it becomes like the iPad mini, just kind of sticks around and morphs into weird premium niche unnumbered "iPhone mini" somewhere between the SE and newest phones.

I've been thinking that eventually, the SE will just become the mini in a couple of years. Either they keep the SE name or it just becomes iPhone mini from here on out.

On Amazon you have a few good ones, ESR is one that comes to mind. Cheap chases but they usually go for like $10-15 or so. Maybe even lower when they do promos, which seems to be often anyways.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What do you all think of an iPhone foldable phone?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

punk rebel ecks posted:

I’ve always viewed the standard modern iPhone/smartphone as an all time great design and form factor. Folding phones seems like more of a gimmick than a feature and also seems like a way for more things to go wrong vs a stable solid chunk of phone. I have no real interest but I’m always open to see what direction technology goes in, even if I am completely over the year to year NeW fEatUrE marketing rush.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

nope

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

As opposed to an iPhone foldable non phone? Or if you did mean something by that part, like the small flip phone style vs fold out into big tablet ones?

Ultimately it depends on the compromises and if they're worth it to me for the benefits. Mainly thinking of durability/longevity and the price premium. The smaller flip phone is neat but seems pretty limited benefit wise for me, while the bigger tablet style has more obvious benefits...but feels kinda doomed for me between being both bigger than a phone I'd want, and smaller than a tablet I'd want.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I can imagine the foldable bigger screen phone could be like an "iPad Phone".

However, I don't like that you have to "fold" the phone to make it bigger. I'd prefer if you would grab one top corner of the phone and then grab the other corner diagonally across from it and pull it out to expand the phone, like a map.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I have a folding Motorola Razr. (I didn’t buy it; I’m not crazy.)

It’s weird, but it works. I was using it as my work phone for a while, but I went back to the pixel 3a I had been using previously when the novelty wore off.

I’m not opposed to the idea. The razr is clunky and odd, but maybe someone will come up with a version of that idea that’s good. I think the main failing of the Razr is that it’s so thick and heavy: it’s less comfortable in your pocket than a standard shape.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it’s really hard to say without knowing the compromises. Not opposed to something that won’t slide out of some shorts as easily as phones do and extra drop protection could be nice.

But I can also picture my one year old destroying it with ease.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Foldable phones might be cool in like ten years if there’s sufficient leaps in materials science, until then they’re a lol gimmick

The little slate design of the iPhone pretty much nailed the ideal form factor for a device like a phone the first time around, it’s been iteration since then with no compelling alternative ideas, and likely will remain the de facto ideal design standard until we have some bullshit like wearables with projected screens or whatever

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Foldable phones might be cool in like ten years if there’s sufficient leaps in materials science, until then they’re a lol gimmick

The little slate design of the iPhone pretty much nailed the ideal form factor for a device like a phone the first time around, it’s been iteration since then with no compelling alternative ideas, and likely will remain the de facto ideal design standard until we have some bullshit like wearables with projected screens or whatever

AR glasses will come close to replacing a phone but I can’t imagine it ever completely replacing the need.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Wheeee posted:

projected screens or whatever

I remember there was that one phone with a projector built in a few years back.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i hope ar glasses never take off because i don't want to live in a world where people are walking around with normal looking glasses that have cameras in them

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Weedle posted:

i hope ar glasses never take off because i don't want to live in a world where people are walking around with normal looking glasses that have cameras in them

I have some
bad news

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

“Designed with your privacy in mind.”

I don’t believe you.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

yes these are what i'm thinking of and i'm hoping a "knockout game"-esque movement arises that makes horrible nerds fearful of being seen in public with them. ar glasses people are all this guy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

google glass was the best possible implementation because they were insanely expensive, ugly and obvious. i hope the facebook glasses flop like snap spectacles, preferably onto the ground in pieces. gently caress that poo poo for real.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Man was not meant to have that many electronic gadgets

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Doesn’t matter if this flops like Google’s dumbshit attempt, the technology coming to market is inevitable.

Privacy as we came to understand it in the 20th century was an anomaly and is on the way out.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Weedle posted:

google glass was the best possible implementation because they were insanely expensive, ugly and obvious. i hope the facebook glasses flop like snap spectacles, preferably onto the ground in pieces. gently caress that poo poo for real.

:yeah:

It sucks how much I’ve come around to being a grumpy luddite about most tech but gently caress it, it feels right in my heart.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

:yeah:

It sucks how much I’ve come around to being a grumpy luddite about most tech but gently caress it, it feels right in my heart.

Reminder that the Luddites were right

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Until the folding screen tech improves to completely eliminate the crease (if ever) I can’t imagine Apple releasing a folding phone. The crease in the middle of the phone screen is something that I think would never make it past Apple’s design/usability team.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
If Android phones were to do it, and if it were to sell well, Apple would copy them.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 19, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Nah, Apple won’t touch that until/unless they can do it seamlessly.

Apple’s software is a weak point of theirs, but on hardware they lead the market and set the trends everyone else follows. Their Promotion that debuted in 2017 on iPad Pro is still better than any other implementation on the market, and it’s coming to iPhones ‘late’ because they couldn’t source the components at the necessary quality and quantity until now, not because Android showed them the light.

They definitely need to steal more Android OS ideas like the notification system tho, even iOS 15 notifications are shameful

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

If phones were meant to fold our lord Steve Apple would have invented them in the garage with Woz.

I have still not placed my pre-order but a 13 mini is absolutely happening. I just need my wife to decide if she cares enough about her 11 to change and if she wants a pro/mini/reg 13.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Cartoon Man posted:

AR glasses will come close to replacing a phone but I can’t imagine it ever completely replacing the need.

Not without quantum leaps from Siri. Until using voice command is just as precise as tapping for commands/settings/dictation it's just going to be a different screen to see your content on. It doesn't need to be Jarvis or anything, just to the point that an average user could get through the day without needing to grab their phone if they didn't want to.

Wheeee posted:

Nah, Apple won’t touch that until/unless they can do it seamlessly.

Seamlessly would be good, but I think the real roadblock is component pricing- what would you need to charge to keep Apple level margins swhile adding apple level polish to foldables? The Jobs era dictum of keeping the product lines simple are long gone, but a 3rd tier foldable hanging out in Macbook Pro pricing land sounds a little much.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Yea, not sure how true it is but I recall reading that the Airpods Max are actually a stripped down product, in that they turned their original design direction for them around and aimed less at the hi-fi market when they realized they’d need to sell what they were developing at $1000+ to make a profit.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wheeee posted:

Reminder that the Luddites were right

Saving this for when I’ve got time, seems interesting. Thanks :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My main beef with Siri is the commands she accepts seems to change without notice every major iOS update. Like I'd use 'shuffle playlist kpop' and it did the right thing g for a while but now all it does is toggle shuffle on for whatever's currently playing. I hate having to figure out the new phrase.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

xzzy posted:

My main beef with Siri is the commands she accepts seems to change without notice every major iOS update. Like I'd use 'shuffle playlist kpop' and it did the right thing g for a while but now all it does is toggle shuffle on for whatever's currently playing. I hate having to figure out the new phrase.

Siri randomly switches between adding separate shopping list items to separate entries and just shoving 'eggs milk bread sugar cantaloupes oil lugnuts' onto one insane line in what I can only assume is a targeted act of Zersetzung by Tim Apple

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

what about a rollable iphone phone :2bong:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

just blast an overlay into my optic nerve from my iMplant

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Wheeee posted:

just blast an overlay into my optic nerve from my iMplant

They'll bring back the iSight branding for them.

or go with eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waiting for the Apple watchphone that's a slapstick you wrap around your forearm to be a watch, then when you uncurl it it turns into a tablet.